PDA

View Full Version : marie loses at wimby

Beat
Jun 25th, 2002, 01:48 PM
oh no! we were getting too far ahead: 3:6, 3:6 vs. maureen drake. what a disappointing result! it was such a good chance to improve her ranking, she had a decent draw. :sad:
oh well, better luck next time.

Vanity
Jun 25th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Well, I think the main part was bad scheduling. Marie didn't have any grass practice going into this event. She should've played Eastbourne.. she could've got perhaps three matches in qualifying at the least probably. Next year, she should play both Birmingham and Eastbourne (or s'Hertogenbosch). Maureen is a decent grass court player though. So I am sad for Marie... :sad:
but happy for Maureen. :)

Btw, I couldn't get up early enough to follow the match... do you know how the match went?

the cat
Jun 25th, 2002, 04:28 PM
I'm shocked! :eek: When I last checked the scores, MGM had lost the first set to Maureen Drake. I was very surprised! :eek:

Vanity, I think you have something about her schedule and preperation. Instead of practicing and playing on a grass court in preperation for Wimbledon, MGM was playing and winning a hard court title in Takshent, Uzbekistan. Winning her first ever WTA title was great for Marie. :D But it came at a price. And that price was proper grass court preperation for Wimbledon.

Being a power player, I don't imagine MGM has very good court mobility. Thus making the transition to grass courts even more difficult than normal. :( I hope she learns from this experience. But atleast she has her first WTA title under her belt. That's more than some talented WTA veterans can say! :)

Vanity
Jun 25th, 2002, 05:45 PM
You are right about that cat. I am glad she won her first title so she can get that out of the way (don't want them to get on her like they do to Anna!) but she could've played Eastbourne or s'Hertogenbosch and be prepared. I would've chosen Eastbourne for her, as she'd have to play qualifying, so she'd probably get more matches. I hope she has learned her lesson though. Maureen is experienced on the grass. I am glad to see a Canadian win, if MGM can't. :) I hope MGM will play both Birmingham and Eastbourne/s'Hertogenbosch next year. :)

Zamboni
Jun 25th, 2002, 05:46 PM
I'm very sad about this :sad:

But on the other hand cat has a point, at least she has her 1st title...

I also hopes she learnes from this experience, and finds out that she really should play Rosmalen next year ;) :)

Sonja
Jun 25th, 2002, 05:50 PM
http://www.sports.com/pictures/TENNIS/MDF95783.jpg

Beat
Jun 26th, 2002, 12:11 PM
I totally agree with vanity. MGM should skip tashkent next year and get a proper grass court preparation.
plus I think she probably still doesn't move good enough, something that's so important on grass. maybe it's time to get a proper coach for the whole physical aspect? I really don't know if her father is up to the task.

Vanity
Jun 26th, 2002, 04:07 PM
MGM needs a fitness trainer to travel with her. Most top players have one now. I think with all the prize money she's starting to get, she can probably afford it! ;)
In fact, that's what keeps many players from the top... their fitness. They have all the shots in the book and all the talent but if they can't move well, it's hard for them. Marie is still very young and inexperienced on the tour, so she still has lots of time to make these changes. :) Like Monica Seles, she's a very big-built girl, but like Monica she can become fitter. :)

the cat
Jun 26th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Vanity, isn't MGM still age restricted? :confused:

And she'll play Takshent next year. That's her first ever title. And she'll want to defend her title. But if she's not under tha Age Restriction rule, then look for her to play a grass court tournament the following week, too.

The question is, will Takshent be during the same week next year? Or will it be moved? It used to be after Wimbledon. It makes no sense to have a hard court event right after the clay season and right before Wimbledon. Takshent should be moved back to after Wimbledon. That's when the hard court season begins afterall.

Vanity
Jun 26th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Marie turned 18 in March and is no longer under the age restriction rule. :)

Marie defending her title at Tashkent will all depend on how her ranking is this time next year... if she does really well at the end of the year and gets into the top 30 or top 20, she probably won't play Tashkent because she was ranked #50 and top seed this year. If she does nothing for the rest of the year and her ranking drops, she'll probably play Tashkent again. Of course, I hope to see her rise her ranking high and play more grass next year. :)

I agree that Tashkent should be moved. Another bad move was moving the Vienna clay tournament to the grass season.
For the rest of the year, Marie has two significant places to defend points. She has finalist points from the Tier IV in Basel... but I don't see Basel on the tournament list this year so it must be cancelled. :( She also has quarterfinal points (plus juicy bonus points from Dementieva ;) ) to defend at the Tier I in Zurich.

Beat
Jun 27th, 2002, 10:43 AM
I read in a swiss newspaper that the tournament in basel won't happen again, since they've had lots of financial problems. it was such a great tourni for MGM, beating farina-elia, smashnova and hantuchova (if I'm not mistaken).

Beat
Jun 27th, 2002, 05:35 PM
vanity, maureen drake is through to round 3! she crushed craybas. this makes me feel better about MGM's 1st round loss and of course now I'll cheer so much for maureen against venus. GO MAUREEN!

Vanity
Jun 27th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Too bad about the Basel tourney. :( I am sure Marie is disappointed at not being able to win in front of a home crowd, and last year's winner Gersi is probably not happy at not being able to try and defend her title.

If anyone had to beat MGM I am glad it was Maureen. :) She's been working hard in the challengers this year and she's finally coming up with good main-tour results again (she was top 50 at one point in 1999). :) Plus, she's 31 years old! :eek: Glad to see she's still motivated to improve. This is her first time past the 2nd round at Wimby. A return to the top 100 for her looks good :)

Beat
Jun 27th, 2002, 09:52 PM
yes, it's true, she loved playing in front of a swiss crowd (unlike ms. schnyder, who always chokes badly, especially at swisscom challenge). and it was the first time she got some media coverage, even appearing on tv!
there's talk about an alternative tournament near bern, but that might just be a rumour.

Zamboni
Jun 28th, 2002, 06:02 PM
Thanx for all the news guys :)

It's bad that Basel won't happen again :(