PDA

View Full Version : What should Lena work on for the French Open?

kinglear
Feb 24th, 2007, 11:26 AM
I don't remember seeing much of her matches from Roland Garros '04, but from the little bit I have seen, she stood on the baseline. I'm aware that it's hard to run on clay and clay requires sliding, but I'm not sure if she went to often went to net like she did at the '04 US Open. If you were a coach, what would you say Lena has to improve to increase her chances? Obviously, the serve will always be an area that needs massive improvement, but I know that she definitely needs to come to net as much as possible. She should just close it out. I think it's okay to have a few extended rallies, but if Lena has the chance to end the point, I think she should just end it.

kinglear
Mar 1st, 2007, 03:38 AM
Even though no one is replying to my topic, I'm still going to keep it going. ;) I'm surprised that Lena hasn't been more successful at Roland Garros. I think she's good on all surfaces (yes, even grass), it's just that her nerves make her lose. Besides reaching the Roland Garros final, she's proven again that she's a great clay-courter by winning the Fed Cup. I wonder what she can do different to ensure that she does well at the 2007 Roland Garros. Her inside-out groundstrokes are perfect for clay courts, so...

Dementinator
Mar 1st, 2007, 07:54 AM
Lena has the physical attributes for clay ,shes got phenominal stamina and great strength ,she really ought to do well on the red potters mud really. Visiting the net more would be good and yes ,ending the points when theres a cahnce for a good winner would be good.

I am not sure the surface makes that much diff for Lena ,sure the fast hard courts like those at Flushing Toilets in NYC ddo suit her better ,but if shes got her finely honed ass in gear and not pissing about ,shes capable of winning whatever the color of the deck shes on.

kinglear
Mar 1st, 2007, 01:17 PM
Lena has the physical attributes for clay ,shes got phenominal stamina and great strength ,she really ought to do well on the red potters mud really. Visiting the net more would be good and yes ,ending the points when theres a cahnce for a good winner would be good.

I am not sure the surface makes that much diff for Lena ,sure the fast hard courts like those at Flushing Toilets in NYC ddo suit her better ,but if shes got her finely honed ass in gear and not pissing about ,shes capable of winning whatever the color of the deck shes on.

LMAO! You crack me up. :lol: She definitely has got a great ass and the legs could help her do anything. I remember during the '04 US Open, John McEnroe was commentating and he said that with Lena's strong legs, she should have a better serve. He said she doesn't use her legs, but instead she just twists her upper body in an awkward way. Have you noticed how when she's off the ground after she serves the ball, she looks like someone's pulling her by her arm and about to swing her over the net. :lol:

LudwigDvorak
Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:58 AM
Well, she did go 5-1 in 2005's Fed Cup on clay. Four of her 17 finals have been on clay. She went 12-4 on clay in 2005, but has consistently proven to do poorly in most of the clay tournaments she enters, especially Berlin and Rome.

Let's see...
W - 2003 Amelia Island
F - 2001 Acapulco, 2004 Roland Garros, 2005 Charleston
SF - 1999 Palermo, 2002 Acapulco, 2006 Warsaw

Wins over top-10 players on clay:
2000 - def. Sanchez-Vicario 64 57 62
2003 - def. Hantuchova 60 61, Henin 36 64 75, Davenport 46 75 63
2004 - def. Davenport 61 63, Mauresmo 64 63
2005 - def. Mauresmo 64 46 62, def. Pierce 76(1) 26 61
2006 - def. Clijsters 64 63

So I think we can infer she CAN play well on clay, just...not very often. Or mostly just beats players she could beat on any surface.

kinglear
Apr 25th, 2007, 02:20 AM

True, because Lena doesn't lose on different surfaces because she's not suited to them, it's just her serve that loses her matches. As we all know, she didn't lose the French Open because she couldn't slide. :rolleyes: I know it's pointless to think about the what if's, but just imagine if Lena had two Slams under her belt right now. Who knows, maybe she would've improved her serve if she had won. There are so many possibilities.

staste77
Apr 25th, 2007, 10:18 AM
I know it's pointless to think about the what if's, but just imagine if Lena had two Slams under her belt right now. Who knows, maybe she would've improved her serve if she had won. There are so many possibilities.
You are right. If she had won GS title, she would've got more self confidence. Like Mouresmo.

Dementinator
Apr 25th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Indeed, and the other great thing is that unlike Mauresmo, she doesnt walk like John Wayne whos shit himself.... Would I trade a Lena who walks like shes dumped in her pants but won 2 GS? its a toughie I must say :lol:

kinglear
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Indeed, and the other great thing is that unlike Mauresmo, she doesnt walk like John Wayne whos shit himself.... Would I trade a Lena who walks like shes dumped in her pants but won 2 GS? its a toughie I must say :lol:

LOL!! :lol: Lena seems to have so much to prove because of her looks. She should never worry about being some Anna Kournikova because Lena has won Fed Cup, a Silver medal and 2 Slam finals and has been a Top 10 player for countless years. She has the world's respect. :worship: I just hate it when people say the vultures are coming for her, even though I know they are. That's why I'm convinced that Lena needs to add something to her game. Because Lena can hit superhuman groundstrokes and close out at the net as much as she wants, and that still doesn't change the fact that she can lose a match on a double-fault. I want her to be have a serve like Andy Roddick, but then again if she had a Roddick-esque serve, would we see as many amazing rallies from Lena?