PDA

View Full Version : Venus Charges into Memphis SemiFinals

SerenaSlams
Feb 23rd, 2007, 09:32 AM
Williams, Top-Seeded Peer Reach SFs :)

Former World No. 1 Venus Williams charged into the semifinals of her comeback tournament at the Cellular South Cup with a 7-6(2), 6-4 win over fellow American Laura Granville at the Racquet Club of Memphis Thursday night. Playing her first tournament since October last year, Williams squandered three match points in the ninth game of the second set before serving out the match to love, finishing with an ace out wide to the ad court.

Williams, a winner of 33 WTA Tour titles, is making her debut in Memphis and said that she's getting better with each match after her lengthy break from the game.

"My serve has improved a lot since the first match," Williams said. "A lot of times I want to hit a great shot but I have to go for something a little more average and set myself up. Also, I want to get my feet moving out there - when that happens my game is so much better."

Williams next plays Romanian qualifier Ioana Raluca Olaru, 17, who advanced to her first career semifinal when Australian Samantha Stosur retired with a viral illness when trailing 1-5. Ranked No. 254, Olaru had made just $665 this year but now is guaranteed at least $8,300.

:worship: 2 Grand Slam (Mixed Doubles) Titles:worship:

(1) Wimbledon ('98), (1) US Open ('98) (both w/ Max Mirnyi)