PDA

View Full Version : Russian lawmakers move to recriminalize homosexuality

IndieBoi
Feb 14th, 2007, 04:17 PM
http://www.gay.com/news/article.html?2007/02/13/4

Russian lawmakers Monday introduced a bill to recriminalize homosexuality, punishable with a five-year prison sentence for anyone found convicted of gay sex.

The bill, introduced into Russia's lower house by Deputy Nikolay Kuryanovich, is nearly identical to the 1933 criminal code under Stalin, which made homosexuality punishable by five years of hard labor.

If passed, the legislation would also essentially ban gay Pride parades or meetings.

Gay sex was decriminalized in 1993 as a result of Communism's fall. Up until the 1980s, gays and lesbians were routinely committed to hospitals for reparative therapy, which involved taking psychotropic drugs.

It is unclear how far Kuryanovich's bill will get, as he doesn't have any official party backing. The bill has gained support from Communist supporters and the Russian Orthodox Church.

hdfb
Feb 14th, 2007, 04:22 PM
........ This is outrageous. Disallowing gay couples to register in civil partnerships is discriminating enough, but such a thing is a gigantic step back for Russia.

Reuchlin
Feb 14th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Wow, some people really have too much time on their hands.
I know that if my country was in economic/political and social chaos, this wouldnt be the first bill I'd be fightin' to get passed lol.

samsung101
Feb 14th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Must be the religious right in Russia!

Oh wait, they're part of a 7 decade
span of anti-religion/God is bad/the
state is all that matters leadership and
education....uh........

Pooty-Poot's hold on Russian govt. has grown
in line with his old KGB days.

Muslim terrorist and political clout grows,
as the world prefers to hate and target Bush.
As Europe is faced with a growing Muslim
population, as well as South America.

A faith that teaches homosexuality is wrong,
and punishable by death.

Wouldn't worry about parades when the growing
power of the world would like to see anyone who
looks, acts, or is homosexual to be removed from
the face of the earth.

venus_rulez
Feb 14th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Must be the religious right in Russia!

Oh wait, they're part of a 7 decade
span of anti-religion/God is bad/the
state is all that matters leadership and
education....uh........

Pooty-Poot's hold on Russian govt. has grown
in line with his old KGB days.

Muslim terrorist and political clout grows,
as the world prefers to hate and target Bush.
As Europe is faced with a growing Muslim
population, as well as South America.

A faith that teaches homosexuality is wrong,
and punishable by death.

Wouldn't worry about parades when the growing
power of the world would like to see anyone who
looks, acts, or is homosexual to be removed from
the face of the earth.

I know this sounds crazy....but some people have legitimate reasons for disliking our President. I can give you what my biggest reason fro disliking him is:

According to our President one of the main reasons he supports a constitutional ban on gay marriage is because the people of this country do not believe gays should marry, which by most polls is a 55/45 split in favor of not allowing gays to marry. However, when those same people are asked if they favor a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, the percentages actually flip 55/45 of those not in favor of a constituional amendment. Basically, he's hypocritical in that he'll use the people as a reason to do something he really wanted to do anyway...except of course when the people disagree with him, then suddenly they don't matter. And as obvious as it is that you believe Bush can do no wrong, you have to admit that hypocrisy has been a very clear and consistent criticism about the Bush administration from day one.

miffedmax
Feb 14th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Damn. In this day and age, what kind of backwards, knuckledragging cretins try to legislate consensual relations between adults?

Oh, no, wait . . .

meyerpl
Feb 14th, 2007, 07:03 PM
This is really sad. In terms of progress, humanity usually seems to take one step backward for every two steps forward.