PDA

View Full Version : news on saouth african tennis website

PETE
Jun 24th, 2002, 05:36 AM
I found this article on a south african website and I'am worried!

A hamstring injury could prevent Amanda Coetzer from using her most dangerous weapon on the tennis court, her agility, when she goes for glory at Wimbledon this week.
Wayne Ferreira is also a doubtful starter for the world's top tournament after having withdrawn from a tournament in Nottingham with a back strain last week.

Coetzer on Sunday said from Eastbourne where she concluded her preparations for Wimbledon that her injury did not recover as fast as she initially expected. "I'm worried about my injury because it would negatively influence my mobility," she said.

She took part in a tournament in Eastbourne last week and the injury was the main reason that she did not get past the first round.

"My form was too erratic in the first match, but at least I adapted to grass courts. Lori McNeil and I played well in the doubles which boosted my confidence on grass."

The little Free State fighter says she is trying not to put any pressure on herself.

"It is a bonus for me to play at Wimbledon because the injury put my participation in the balance. I will take it match by match and each victory would be a bonus."

According to Coetzer her money would be on Venus Williams to take the women's singles title at Wimbledon.

"Venus and Serena Williams are both playing well and their powerful play would be hard to counter on grass. To beat them you would have to play very aggressively and use every chance you get at breakpoints."

However, according to Coetzer Venus had the better chance. "She is the reigning champion and she knows how it feels. Nevertheless Serena is on the crest of the wave at the moment and is hungry for a grass title."

Coetzer will be playing in her 12th Wimbledon this year. Her best performance so far was in 1994 when she went through to the fourth round. Last year she went out to Meghann Shaugnessy of the United States in the third round.

Robbie.
Jun 24th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Damn injury :( :sad:....lets hope Mady will be back at full fitness soon...if not for wimby then for the hardcourts where she plays best :)

Robbie.
Jun 24th, 2002, 07:17 AM
By the way...thanx for the article pete :)

Zamboni
Jun 24th, 2002, 04:52 PM
thanx for the article, but I'm sad to read this :sad:

Why did she ever play Eastbourne?! She should've rested!!! :fiery: