PDA

View Full Version : Study shows: Male sweat turns hetero female on.

"Sluggy"
Feb 13th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Male Sweat Can Boost Arousal in Women

BERKELEY, Calif. (AP) -- A chemical in male sweat can boost mood, brain activity and sexual arousal in heterosexual women, according to a new study released just in time for Valentine's Day.

The study offers the first direct evidence that humans secrete a scent that can affect the physiology of the opposite sex, said researchers at the University of California, Berkeley. Their findings were published this week in The Journal of Neuroscience.

"This is the first time anyone has demonstrated that a change in women's hormonal levels is induced by sniffing an identified compound of male sweat," said study leader Claire Wyart, a postdoctoral fellow at UC Berkeley. "There is much more going on than we think when we are smelling body odor."

The study conducted last year involved 48 undergraduate women who took 20 sniffs from a bottle containing androstadienone, a compound found in male perspiration and other bodily secretions.

The researchers measured the women's levels of the stress hormone cortisol and compared them to the women's responses to a control odor. Cortisol levels in the women rose within about 15 minutes of inhaling the androstadienone scent and remained elevated for more than an hour, UC Berkeley researchers found.

They also discovered that blood pressure, heart rate and breathing increased, mood improved and sexual arousal was boosted.

While the compound can make women feel more positive and sexually aroused, it's still unclear how it affects their behavior, Wyart said.

"Humans are more complex," she said. "You cannot expect them to have stereotypical responses like rodents."

Rocketta
Feb 13th, 2007, 05:04 PM
I could've told you that......just like I said about Matthew McCaughnehy (or however it's spelt) when people were complaining that he didn't wear deodorant........There's nothing wrong with a little man funk. :drool:

tenn_ace
Feb 13th, 2007, 05:15 PM
and they needed a strudy for that? someone (who provided money for it) should feel like a sucker :p

Kart
Feb 13th, 2007, 05:41 PM
This reminds me of my second year physiology project at university entitled 'is it possible to differentiate between men and women on the basis of smell ?'

We got fellow volunteers to put cotton wool in their arm pits at whilst they were at the gym and then got people to smell them and say if they thought the samples were from a man or a woman.

Surprisingly they were correct more often than not - one guy got all fifteen samples correct :eek:.

If I'd known it was that big news I'd have tried to write a paper on it - except that then we'd probably have had to admit we fixed the results to get an A.

controlfreak
Feb 13th, 2007, 06:08 PM
I haven't showered since last Thursday, where are all the ladies at?

tenn_ace
Feb 13th, 2007, 06:36 PM
I haven't showered since last Thursday, where are all the ladies at?

maybe that's because you smell like a gay. :p

!<blocparty>!
Feb 13th, 2007, 06:42 PM
It has to be fresh, though.

Steffica Greles
Feb 13th, 2007, 06:55 PM
It has to be fresh, though.

Exactly. It has to be fresh, and not too profuse. But actually, I'd say it is more "body oils" rather than sweat. The glow of sweat just looks attractive (think of Andy Roddick, for example). Sweat is an excess, whereas the skin has a natural sort of oil which oozes during the day which makes for a person's unique smell.

Just a slight musk is gorgeous. Some men's natural body oils smell delicious, particularly if they interact with deodrant or aftershave. Having said that, I've met some men who shower daily but just don't have a natural scent which I find pleasant.

A ex of mine once went 3 days without washing (slob), but I have to say...umm...it certainly had an effect on me ;) , and it wasn't revulsion.

And it's not just men...

Apparently Napoleon Bonaparte used to tell his mistress not to wash for a certain amount of time (a week, I think it was) before he returned home to devour her ;)

Mother_Marjorie
Feb 13th, 2007, 07:09 PM
I could've told you that......just like I said about Matthew McCaughnehy (or however it's spelt) when people were complaining that he didn't wear deodorant........There's nothing wrong with a little man funk. :drool:
Yuck!

~{X}~
Feb 13th, 2007, 07:25 PM
I remember they did a study similar to this where women and gay men would smell something similar to testosterone or something and the reactions in their brains responded very similarly and they tried straight men to smell the same thing, and their reaction was the opposite of the females and gay males.

LoveFifteen
Feb 13th, 2007, 08:01 PM
maybe that's because you smell like a gay. :p

Then his question should've been "Where are all the fat and/or ugly girls at?" :o

Exhibit #1

Justine Henin

Exhibit #2

Liza Minelli

skanky~skanketta
Feb 14th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Yuck!
i agree!

rocky, no!i'm sorry, but matt looks GROSS!after he showers, i'd defo do him. but the little "man funk" could be gross. if he sweats directly after a shower, it's a different story though. :o :tape: