PDA

View Full Version : Australians: Is Corby Guilty?

aussie12
Feb 13th, 2007, 12:36 AM
did you watch the girl on Today Tonight talking about schapelle. ive gotta say i think shes guilty. whats do yous think.

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Feb 13th, 2007, 12:36 AM
I have said YES from the start

Martie
Feb 13th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Maybe she is, but seriously, isn't she paying too high a price?

aussie12
Feb 13th, 2007, 12:43 AM
possibly, but thats the law over there

F-R-E-A-K
Feb 13th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Mercedes Corby denies drug allegations

By 7News Mercedes Corby has rejected allegations she and her family have a history with drugs.

Former friend Jodi Power said she has smoked marijuana at the Corby home and she was once asked by Mercedes if she had ever taken drugs to Bali.
Ms Power was with Schapelle when she was arrested in Bali and has previously defended the convicted drug smuggler.

She told Seven's Today Tonight the Corby family has a history with drugs.

"I know when I was 19, 20, I wasn't allowed to have a beer at her house but I was allowed to smoke a joint," she claimed.

But Mercedes said Jodi has made it all up and she is worried the claims could harm Schapelle's final appeal. :rolleyes:

"She has mental problems and she has many personal problems," Mercedes told 2GB. :tape:

"I couldn't deal with it and while her husband was in Australia she was out partying, picking up guys."

Ms Power also claims to have seen a vacuum-sealed bag at the Corby home, similar to the one full of marijuana found in Schapelle's boogie board bag.
"They were getting marijuana out of it," Jodi said.
Schapelle is serving a 20-year sentence for the importation of 4.1 kg of cannabis into Indonesia.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/070212/23/12eew.html

:drool: Things are becoming very interesting now :angel: :devil:

Gowza
Feb 13th, 2007, 12:49 AM
she's guilty, my only problem is that she has to serve her time over there rather than in australia.

klok
Feb 13th, 2007, 12:52 AM
I reckon she is guilty, if it had of been a middle aged man everyone would have said guilty from the start IMO. The whole case is turning into the modern day Chamberlain ('Dingo ate my baby') case in terms of is she guilty or not.

aussie12
Feb 13th, 2007, 01:11 AM
please dont compare it to lindy chamberlain, its completely different.

Feb 13th, 2007, 01:37 AM

hell yes she is guilty i reacon, and no, she isnt paying too high a price. If she was a local she would probably get a worse sentence, and its wrong to think that an australian should get a lesser sentence just for being australian i believe.

kittyking
Feb 13th, 2007, 02:51 AM

Im really not in a position to say whether shes guilty or not because the media has twisted this story in so many ways that im now completely confused - who really knows if she was set up or not now.
Shes definately paying too higher price, most serial murderers in New Zealand get 20 years and thats sometimes with parole even - I think its far worse to kill one or more people than it is to illegally import drugs. Of course I dont think that illegally importing drugs is good either though (but come on, 20 years).

Bolt80
Feb 13th, 2007, 02:53 AM
I think she is guilty. I think the penalty she received was fair too.

klok
Feb 13th, 2007, 03:11 AM
please dont compare it to lindy chamberlain, its completely different.

I was only comparing them in terms of the country being split if they think she is guilty or not, IMO in that way the two cases have similarities but other than that they have little in common.

WC6320
Feb 13th, 2007, 03:39 AM
She is definately guilty, thought that from the start. Her whole family have had run ins with the law and have a history with drugs, so I don't think its a coincidence that a bag of marijuana was found in her bag.

kittyking
Feb 13th, 2007, 04:23 AM
She is definately guilty, thought that from the start. Her whole family have had run ins with the law and have a history with drugs, so I don't think its a coincidence that a bag of marijuana was found in her bag.

Someone who knew their family history may have placed the drugs in her bags then ;)

rockwithme
Feb 13th, 2007, 04:33 AM

my thoughts exactly, that stash is definitely for her own choofiness :smoke: how fucken dumb can you be to sneak drugs into a country with zero tolerance for the stuff:confused:

WC6320
Feb 13th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Someone who knew their family history may have placed the drugs in her bags then ;)

Maybe, but someone in her family deserves some punishment with all this drug dealing that they have done. Do you think she is innocent?

Epigone
Feb 13th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Maybe, but someone in her family deserves some punishment with all this drug dealing that they have done.I think her parents need to be punished for naming their daughter Mercedes, rather than something more appropriate like Datsun :o

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Feb 13th, 2007, 07:07 AM
the bitch deseerves all she gets she knew what she was doing and if thats the law then she can rot

Andy.
Feb 13th, 2007, 07:44 AM
I dont care if she is or not but that friend who back stabbed them is a money hungry bitch. You should never do that to your friends. I would certainly never forgive her and if I was her and she shouldgo to Africa like she said becasue she is going to want to stay hidden if she was my friend there would be hell to pay for her betrail.

Martian Stacey
Feb 13th, 2007, 08:31 AM
I'll reserve judgement as to whether or not she's guilty, but either way she acted in a stupid way. If she is guilty then she's an idiot for trying to smuggle drugs into a country with such strict laws on drug possesion. 20 years isn't that bad a result compared to sentances that some people get over there with similar offenses. If she's innocent then how did she not notice a 4kg+ increase in weight in her bag :unsure:

hdfb
Feb 13th, 2007, 10:23 AM
I am still unsure of whether she is or not, but I do hate how she uses her gender and looks to appeal to Australia's masses and gain our support.

Weeks after her sentencing, another Australian was sentenced to death in another Asian country for the same offence, and ALL it got was 6 inch by 2 inch article in the newspaper. Reason? Well for one thing, the Australian had Vietnamese origins, was male, middle-age, and probably couldn't put on a show to save his life.

mc8114
Feb 13th, 2007, 12:11 PM
I think her parents need to be punished for naming their daughter Mercedes, rather than something more appropriate like Datsun :onothing wrong with the name Mercedes as it actually stands for everything good in this world :o

According to wikipedia:

Mercedes is a female Spanish name meaning favours. María de las Mercedes ("Mary of the favours") is a Marian advocation.

:bolt:

Lord Nelson
Feb 13th, 2007, 01:26 PM
The question is not whether is is guilty or not but whether she was given a harsher sentence. I think that this is so because Indonesians are still bitter about Australian support for East Timor independance. I bet most Indonesians in her situation would have gotten a lighter sentence.

Veritas
Feb 13th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Yes I think Corby's guilty, and yes I think the sentence was harsh, though I guess it wouldn't have been much different had she been nabbed in Australia.

Langers
Feb 13th, 2007, 02:18 PM
did you watch the girl on Today Tonight talking about schapelle. ive gotta say i think shes guilty. whats do yous think.
Without doubt the worst television program EVER. :o

Complete and utter trash. :o

hdfb
Feb 13th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Without doubt the worst television program EVER. :o

Complete and utter trash. :o

They recycle stories... It's quite funny honestly. :lol: How crap can they get?

Langers
Feb 13th, 2007, 02:25 PM
They recycle stories... It's quite funny honestly. :lol: How crap can they get?
I’ll take a stab at their stories for the rest of the week…

• What parents are putting in their kids lunchboxes.
• How to cut your shopping bill in half.
• Dodgy accountants ripping you off.

hdfb
Feb 13th, 2007, 02:27 PM
I'm sure we have those stories on a monthly basis. :p

Oh!! And which dishwashing detergent and clothes washing powder is the most effective with scientific tests and all!! Can't forget that one!

Langers
Feb 13th, 2007, 02:32 PM
I'm sure we have those stories on a monthly basis. :p

Oh!! And which dishwashing detergent and clothes washing powder is the most effective with scientific tests and all!! Can't forget that one!
:lol: Stay tuned, might be on tomorrow!

Fantastic
Feb 13th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Chappelle Corby was found guilty by an Indonesian court of law. Let's respect that verdict. She's had the chance to prove herself. She had little to no evidence to prove that she was innocent while the evidence that proved her guilty was simply overwhelming - she was sprung with the friggin' bag of weed!

klok
Feb 13th, 2007, 10:44 PM
I’ll take a stab at their stories for the rest of the week…

• What parents are putting in their kids lunchboxes.
• How to cut your shopping bill in half.
• Dodgy accountants ripping you off.

Don't forget the 'neighboorhood disputes' and 'how to lose weight quickly' segments ;)

aussie12
Feb 13th, 2007, 11:05 PM
and greedy councils and how society has gone to the dogs (a personal favourite of mine)

rockwithme
Feb 14th, 2007, 04:45 AM
or comparing the level of preservatives in fast food burgers..
exemplary investigative journalism

Experimentee
Feb 16th, 2007, 04:14 PM
The question is not whether is is guilty or not but whether she was given a harsher sentence. I think that this is so because Indonesians are still bitter about Australian support for East Timor independance. I bet most Indonesians in her situation would have gotten a lighter sentence.

The normal sentence for drug trafficking in Indonesia is death. Corby definitely got off lightly with 20 years.

ceiling_fan
Feb 16th, 2007, 11:09 PM
yep i thin kshe's guilty.. i just feel sorry for her, that 20 years will go down the drain.

if i was in charge of the judicial system, i would have given her 5 years maybe.

even some murderers only go to jail for that amount of time!!

ceiling_fan
Feb 16th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Also, wasn't Van Nguyen hanged in Singapore and he was going OUT of the country, not INTO.

DutchieGirl
Feb 16th, 2007, 11:59 PM
I honestly coulnd't care less anymore.

Veritas
Feb 17th, 2007, 03:19 AM
yep i thin kshe's guilty.. i just feel sorry for her, that 20 years will go down the drain.

if i was in charge of the judicial system, i would have given her 5 years maybe.

even some murderers only go to jail for that amount of time!!

Those 5 years will have the be brutal and pretty intense if any drug trafficker's gonna learn their lesson. I agree 20 years is a long time, but considering how drugs can destroy the lives of so many others, it seems fair in the end.

It's nice you feel "sorry" for her, but I hope you don't think the Indonesian judicial system should feel the same since Corby certainly didn't have the well-being of its people in her mind. She chose to bring 4 kg of cannibas to the country. The laws against it are strict (not just in Indonesia) and she would've been aware of that.

I also don't support bringing her over to Australia so she can serve out her sentence. The crime wasn't committed in Australia. Therefore, there'll be legal loopholes that could reduce her time in jail.

Veritas
Feb 17th, 2007, 03:24 AM
As for Jodi Power, it's funny how Anna Coren admitted when Power did a lie detector test, she failed it the first time :lol: :tape:

Chrysanthemum
Feb 17th, 2007, 05:42 AM
I'm glad that corby sentenced 20 years of her life in jail. Shes guilty and Its worthed.

She bring drugs that will ruin any nation and she should pay the price for it.
I'm quite happy, indonesians should do this more often to all of those tourist who come here bring drugs. It will be great if its a dead sentence.

DutchieGirl
Feb 17th, 2007, 09:33 PM
I'm glad that corby sentenced 20 years of her life in jail. Shes guilty and Its worthed.

She bring drugs that will ruin any nation and she should pay the price for it.
I'm quite happy, indonesians should do this more often to all of those tourist who come here bring drugs. It will be great if its a dead sentence.

Sure, but the bombers of the Aussie embassy only get 2 years in jail...that makes sense. (And I'm not saying they shouldn't give 20 years if they want for someone bringing in drugs, but then at least be consistant, and if you are killing someone give a harsher punishment).