PDA

View Full Version : Reunited Police To Start World Tour in May

Mother_Marjorie
Feb 12th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Reunited Police to start world tour in May
POSTED: 2:43 p.m. EST, February 12, 2007

• Police to begin world tour in May in Vancouver, B.C.
• Tour to travel the world, extend through end of year
• Group broke up in 1984; played Grammys Sunday night

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Reunited rock trio the Police said Monday they would launch a world tour in May, more than 20 years after frontman Sting angered his bandmates by leaving for a solo career.

The group whetted fans' appetite for the expected trek on Sunday night, when they performed their breakthrough hit "Roxanne" at the opening of the Grammy Awards ceremony.

Sting, 55, guitarist Andy Summers, 64, and drummer Stewart Copeland, 54, will kick off the tour May 28 in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Dates have so far been set for North America only; the band will play Europe in the autumn, and shows in Mexico, South America, Japan, Australia and New Zealand are also anticipated.

Details were to be announced at a news conference at the famed Whisky A Go Go nightclub in West Hollywood where the Police will play a few songs.

The Police ended their seven-year run following their 1984 world tour for the album "Synchronicity," which included the Grammy-winning song of the year "Every Breath You Take."

Sting, the group's primary songwriter, who once described the Police as "a marriage of convenience," wanted more creative freedom. Summers and Copeland felt that the band should carry on, even though intra-band tension often led to fights.

The Police played a handful of U.S. dates on the Amnesty International Conspiracy of Hope tour in 1986, and also played at Sting's wedding in 1992, and at their Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction in 2003.

This year is shaping up as the year of rock reunions. Phil Collins has returned to British art-rock combo Genesis for a monthlong summer tour of Europe, while mercurial singer David Lee Roth is back with rock band Van Halen after a two-decade estrangement.

Additionally, the Australian-New Zealand band Crowded House plans to end a 10-year hiatus once a replacement is found for late drummer Paul Hester.

Lord Nelson
Feb 12th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Sting did not anger the other members of Police by leaving the group. Copeland said that he was sad that Sting left the group but that he understood why he did that. He said that he is eternally grateful to Sting for making the success that the group had and he will always consider himself to be a friend of Sting's. He did say he hoped that the group would be reunited but that he would not pressure Sting to reunite the group because he hopes not want him to be stress him about this.

Kart
Feb 12th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I'm surprised that Sting has actually agreed to do this.

nikita771
Feb 12th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I always LOVED the Police. This would be a cool concert to see. I did not watch the Grammy's last night. How was their performance? Would it worth it seeing an entire concert?

Lunaris
Feb 12th, 2007, 10:26 PM
I reckon this is gonna be a huge failure as these reunions tend to be.

wipeout
Feb 12th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I always LOVED the Police. This would be a cool concert to see. I did not watch the Grammy's last night. How was their performance? Would it worth it seeing an entire concert?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIIOwONgmJY

They're all too talented and technical performers for them not to be able to play well...

But it does go all a bit "jazz solo" in the middle there. :unsure:

Avid Merrion
Feb 12th, 2007, 10:39 PM
I reckon this is gonna be a huge failure as these reunions tend to be.

here's hoping, Sting is such a smug git ;)