PDA

View Full Version : Noel Gallagher Tells U2/Bono to shut the F*** Up About Africa!!

bergkamp2004
Feb 12th, 2007, 06:04 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2007/02/08/bmnoel108.xml

THE LINK ABOVE IS FOR THE FULL INTERVIEW WHICH IS HILARIOUS!
THE TEXT BELOW IS A SUMMARY FROM ANOTHER ARTICLE, I SUGGEST YOU READ THE TELEGRAPH VERSION ABOVE

Oasis' Gallagher To U2's Bono: 'Shut The F**k Up' About Africa
By Staff
Feb 8, 2007

Noel Gallagher has told Bono to "shut the f**k up" about Africa. The Oasis guitarist is sick of the U2 frontman campaigning to end Third World debt in the continent, and insists Bono's fans don't want to be constantly lectured by their idol.
Noel told Britain's Daily Telegraph newspaper: "With U2 it's like play 'One' , shut the f**k up about Africa. People don't want to hear about it all the time."

The outspoken songwriter has also blasted Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke for brow-beating his fans with his political beliefs. He has urged him to ditch his serious attitude to music and write a 'proper' rock song.

He said: "Thom Yorke sat at a piano singing, 'This is f***ed up', for half-an-hour. We all know that, Mr Yorke. Who wants to sing the news? No matter how much you sit there twiddling, going, 'We're all doomed', at the end of the day people will always want to hear him play 'Creep'. Get over it."

Noel - who along with brother Liam and the rest of the band will collect the prestigious Outstanding Contribution To Music award at next week's BRITs - has no intention to stop writing hit songs.

The rocker - whose band has scored an incredible eight UK number singles, including 'Lyla' and 'Don't Look Back In Anger' - added: "Somehow I don't ever see myself on stage playing a mouth organ to 150 people on a Wednesday. Every time I write a song, I envisage them in football stadiums with loads of people going f***ing mental - that's Oasis." (c) BANG

bergkamp2004
Feb 12th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I must say well done Noel. I went to see U2 in 2005 and he bored me for ages. A whole 10-15 mins banging on about Africa, i just wanted to hear the tunes.

Sally Struthers
Feb 12th, 2007, 06:11 PM
yes.. people aren't there to hear your political views on everything. they just want to hear you sing! you hear that Streisand?!!! Not that I would pay to hear you sing either. :o

Kart
Feb 12th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Honestly, I prefer Bono's inane rambling over Noel's lame attempts to generate some self publicity.

It would be best if they both shut up !

!<blocparty>!
Feb 12th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Bono could get rid of third world debt with all the money he has. That's the amusing part.

Avid Merrion
Feb 12th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Bono could get rid of third world debt with all the money he has. That's the amusing part.

yes, that's what's the most annoying part of listening to Bono pontificate about Africa. i'm sure he does contribute, but being lectured on giving to charity by a multi-millionaire is somewhat jarring.....:rolleyes:

drake3781
Feb 12th, 2007, 06:42 PM
:lol: :lol:

He is right. A point can be made subtly. People don't want to be banged on the head. They need to think it through for themselves.

Paneru
Feb 12th, 2007, 06:45 PM
yes.. people aren't there to hear your political views on everything. they just want to hear you sing! you hear that Streisand?!!! Not that I would pay to hear you sing either. :o

Didn't know human life was reduced to a
"political view". What a wonderful thought!

Then again, this is Africa!
Who cares about Africa!

Rock on Bono!
Keep up the good fight! :cool:

Apoleb
Feb 12th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Didn't know human life was reduced to a
"political view". What a wonderful thought!

Rock on Bono!
Keep up the good fight! :cool:

It's good to bring the issue to the public spotlight, but overdoing it is something else. Once you pass the message, it's useless to keep banging it on our heads.

Chris 84
Feb 12th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Bono urges the Irish government to spen more on Africa....yet all his money is locked away in off-shore accounts, meaning that the Irish government receives practically zero in tax from one of it's wealthiest citizens.

What a hypocrite :o

!<blocparty>!
Feb 12th, 2007, 06:51 PM
THE SUNDAY TIMES RICH LIST 2006: THE FILM & TELEVISION MILLIONAIRES

U2 sit on top of the Irish entertainers list, now worth EUR690m (GBP469m). The band generated more income than any other in the world last year, according to Billboard magazine. Digital and album sales, plus box office receipts totalled more than EUR215m (GBP146m) last year alone. The four band members, headed by lead singer Bono, split all income five ways with an equal share going to manager, Paul McGuinness.

That's nice.

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 12th, 2007, 07:01 PM
if Noel had a brain he'd be dangerous.

bergkamp2004
Feb 12th, 2007, 07:11 PM
noel has a funny way of attacking people
I hope this years brits are eventful

Noel is right about thom yorke too

U2 are amazing, but bono and geldof bore the pants off me

Sugar_Kane
Feb 12th, 2007, 08:14 PM
If the rich and famous didn't bang on about Africa who would?

Pureracket
Feb 12th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Didn't know that solving world hunger and disease were a political view. Who knew?

WorldWar24
Feb 12th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Didn't know that solving world hunger and disease were a political view. Who knew?

George w Bush?

no that's probably not right

mandy7
Feb 13th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Bono is f*ing annoying, he needs to write some decent rock tunes again.
The last 2 u2 albums have been WAY BORING.
It's cool that he want to save the world and all. (which he can't)
But seriously dude, pick up an instrument, write good music.

Beefy
Feb 13th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I went to the U2 concert here last year, and it was awesome, but that thing did piss me off. Bono's a guy who has offshore accounts to avoid taxes, spends shit loads on sunglasses and stuff like that and spent millions on a court case all over a fucking hat. Yes, you can put your name to something or believe in something, but you don't have to go on and on about and ram it down peoples throats.

bergkamp2004
Feb 13th, 2007, 12:21 PM
noel is the man
great tunes
straight talking
no nonsense

CooCooCachoo
Feb 13th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Noel, ignorance is bliss.

alfonsojose
Feb 13th, 2007, 01:02 PM
:yeah: :lol: so true. Bono, the humble poor :rolleyes: such an hypocrit

alfonsojose
Feb 13th, 2007, 01:04 PM
I went to the U2 concert here last year, and it was awesome, but that thing did piss me off. Bono's a guy who has offshore accounts to avoid taxes, spends shit loads on sunglasses and stuff like that and spent millions on a court case all over a fucking hat. Yes, you can put your name to something or believe in something, but you don't have to go on and on about and ram it down peoples throats.

:lol:

Wigglytuff
Feb 13th, 2007, 03:36 PM
noel whoever, is just pandering to the ignorants, racists, and assholes of the western world while trying to bring some attention to himself.

Volcana
Feb 13th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Noel Gallagher is fool. Bono is using his fame and popularity to try and improve the world. Don't like it, don't buy the ticket.
Bono could get rid of third world debt with all the money he has. That's the amusing part.It's most threads, that would be the stupidest thing anybody wrote. Debt in sub-Sahara Africa alone is in the trillions of dollars US. All of Bono's money wouldn't pay off one tenth of one percent of it.

News flash: Part of Bono's popularity is his dedication to improving conditions in Africa. It's one reason a lot of people buy tickets to U2 concerts. It's a good show AND supports a good cause. I repeat, don't like it, don't buy the ticket. Someone else will. If you DO buy the ticket, please be aware all this bitching makes you sound like a pack of consummate fools. Not as big a fool as Noel Gallagher, but then, being a bigger fool than him would be a tough job.

Wigglytuff
Feb 13th, 2007, 03:54 PM

hopefully, if the rest of us are lucky you wont have children because this kind of plain but excessive stupidity does not need to be pass on to the next generation.

bergkamp2004
Feb 13th, 2007, 04:39 PM
but at manchester where i saw u2 hardly anyone was listening to bono
we were just chatting waiting for the next tune

bono should keep his humanitarian efforts separate from music
u2 are class but im a believer that musicians cannot save the world, its a waste of effort

look at live 8 that was a joke, it did nothing except boost back catalogue sales of all those who played

PamShriverRockz
Feb 13th, 2007, 08:51 PM
To be honest, I don't like Bono OR Noel.

Good for Bono for wanting to help problems in the world...but dare I say he doesn't always do it in the right way....

Noel has verbal dissentry.

RatedR Superstar
Feb 14th, 2007, 01:51 AM
well, he does have a point..people pay good money to see a concert not to listen to a lecture

Ryan
Feb 14th, 2007, 02:02 AM
I cant fucking stand Bono. Instead of preaching like a twat, how about you donate every single dollar off of the next 32408924508 U2 CD's to Africa in some shape or form if you're that committed.

Bezz
Feb 14th, 2007, 10:02 AM
You can highlight an issue without going on about it all the time. If i paid for a concert ticket i would expect to hear music and maybe a little about the artist, not made to feel sad and depressed by someone harping on about africa all the time.

bergkamp2004
Feb 14th, 2007, 11:22 AM
i agree with bezz

you still got the maracas??