PDA

View Full Version : So what would you consider to be a good 2007 season for Dementieva?

Corswandt
Feb 12th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Last year: two titles, two Slam QFs, one 2 week TI final, year end top 10 = good.

This year, if Lena D. was able to repeat her 2006 season (in which she actually played worse than in late 2005, yet achieved better results), I would be more than content, but I doubt she will considering her results since last year's USO.

So I'd say that the following would be good:

- year end top 10 + one title/two Slam QFs or better

Year end top 10 without any titles would be decent, but would give more ammo to the haters who contend she has no business being in the top 10.

If she finishes the year out of the top 10 (quite possible), her season may still be considered decent if she wins a title/makes it to two Slam QFs or better (only if she did make it to two Slam QFs or better, it would very unlikely she'd end 2007 out of the top 10).

Out of the top 10, no titles, not even a Slam QF - bad.

I don't consider making the YEC as an objective because Lena unfailingly embarrasses herself once in it.

Your take: is this asking too much or too little?

Corswandt
Feb 13th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Request to moderators: could you please move this thread to Player Forums/Russian Roulette/Dementieva's Gardens of Edem, where I should have posted it to begin with?

I thank you in advance.

Volcana
Feb 13th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Given her career, the only sucessful season is one with a GS singles title. What's one more Tier II title, or a GS semi? Been there, done that.

itzhak
Feb 13th, 2007, 06:19 PM
2 covers of Men's Magazine- stuff and FHM;
SI photoshoot;
breaking with Maxim and dating Marat

Just joking....

Corswandt
Feb 13th, 2007, 06:27 PM
2 covers of Men's Magazine- stuff and FHM;
SI photoshoot;
breaking with Maxim and dating Marat

Just joking....

:lol:

You forgot: to top all of those useless "sexiest athlete" polls.

Corswandt
Feb 13th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Oh, and a big "thank you" for the anonymous moderator who moved this as requested.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Feb 13th, 2007, 06:40 PM
2- 4 titles and top 6 - 8

kinglear
Feb 13th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Given her career, the only sucessful season is one with a GS singles title. What's one more Tier II title, or a GS semi? Been there, done that.

You know what, you're right. ;) Lena's had an exceptional year of tennis, but she needs a Slam to complete it. This is kind of what I trying to say in the Lena topic in the General Messages section. Take someone like Carlos Moya, he's won a Slam, but minus the Slam, I'm guessing that Lena has accomplished more. Do you understand what I'm saying? I just want Lena to win a Slam to validate her success. She has four more years to win a Slam, so we'll see what happens. I'm sticking with her until the death. :worship:

Pilongo
Feb 14th, 2007, 01:52 PM
To have a better season than last one, simply that.
Not only in results but also in her game.
If I can see a real improvement in her game, the results will come, but she needs to speed up, or even not have a step back in her tennis, because time is running out

kinglear
Feb 14th, 2007, 05:00 PM
To have a better season than last one, simply that.
Not only in results but also in her game.
If I can see a real improvement in her game, the results will come, but she needs to speed up, or even not have a step back in her tennis, because time is running out

The truest thing ever said on this forum. :worship:

LudwigDvorak
Feb 18th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Another Tier I, a Slam SF anywhere, beat more than two or three top 10 players--I'd be happy with that.

And I know it's early in the year, and she's been injured since Tokyo, but not a great start to the year at all. The only plus is that she started even worse in 2004.

Oh Elena. Make something of this season.

kinglear
Feb 19th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Another Tier I, a Slam SF anywhere, beat more than two or three top 10 players--I'd be happy with that.

And I know it's early in the year, and she's been injured since Tokyo, but not a great start to the year at all. The only plus is that she started even worse in 2004.

Oh Elena. Make something of this season.

You know what, I'd be happy with what you just proposed because it would give her confidence for 2008, which is what really matters. And if she makes a Slam final, that would be good too. ;)

Danči Dementia
Feb 19th, 2007, 04:33 PM
You know what, I'd be happy with what you just proposed becaue it would give her confidence for 2008, which is what really matters. And if she makes a Slam final, that would be good too. ;)

A slam final:bounce: ................but I'm not sure if I would stand to see her loosing in a GS final so.................

If she wins one:) ..................I will pee in my black panties

kinglear
Feb 19th, 2007, 05:02 PM
A slam final:bounce: ................but I'm not sure if I would stand to see her loosing in a GS final so.................

If she wins one:) ..................I will pee in my black panties

:lol: :lol: You're too much!! I couldn't stand to see her lose either. I'd rather her not make a Slam final if she's going to lose it. :rolleyes: She just needs to be focused and loose. You know, not nervous.

vogus
Feb 20th, 2007, 05:20 AM
another year without Lena reaching at least a GS semifinal cannot be considered a good year.

That said, if Lena replicates '06, it won't be a terrible year. But that's not a very high standard to meet. It's like, she played 2 good high Tier events, 2 steady if unspectacular slams, and was basically crap the rest of the year.

Pilongo
Feb 20th, 2007, 11:36 AM
I'd still prefer to see her again in a final even losing it.
A final is a final dudes, and it is a step beyond semifinal, simply remember that.

miffedmax
Feb 20th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I think last year was a good year. I would be happy if she duplicated it.

I think getting to another slam final would constitute a great year, assuming she did okay and makes the YEC.

kinglear
Feb 20th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I'd still prefer to see her again in a final even losing it.
A final is a final dudes, and it is a step beyond semifinal, simply remember that.

True, but I want her to WIN it! Although, if she makes a Slam final, her ranking will shoot through the roof. :) So you're right, being in a Slam final is better than not being in a Slam final.

Willam
Feb 20th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Ill be happy if she repeat what she did last year but instead of 2 QF GS 1 QF and 1 SF!

SO:

2 titles
1 QF GrandSlam
1 SF GrandSlam
Top Ten :)