PDA

View Full Version : Was the Dixie Chicks big night more about politics than talent?

mckyle.
Feb 12th, 2007, 04:38 AM
It seems as though the Dixie Chicks won so many big awards tonight only because the voters are probably liberal and had sympathy for them after insulting the President of their own country. The album they made only had one major single, and that single really didn't even perform that well on the charts. It should've gone to Justine Timberlake or the Red Hot Chili Peppers, or even Fergie for god's sake. Your thoughts?

dekker
Feb 12th, 2007, 05:21 AM
It seems as though the Dixie Chicks won so many big awards tonight only because the voters are probably liberal and had sympathy for them after insulting the President of their own country. The album they made only had one major single, and that single really didn't even perform that well on the charts. It should've gone to Justine Timberlake or the Red Hot Chili Peppers, or even Fergie for god's sake. Your thoughts?

Fergie.... LOL

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 12th, 2007, 05:32 AM
When does having a good single have anything to do with the General Awards that The Dixie Chicks won?

Ray Charles didn't have a single that did well on the charts for Genius Loves Company.
It won Album of the year and Record of the year.
The album was great. Only one song on it could even have been considered not up to par.
If Ray Charles got sympathy in the votes for that album he didn't need them.

The Dixie Chicks didn't need sympathy.
The album is good.

SilK
Feb 12th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Aren't the Grammy's always about politics? :shrug:

Sir Stefwhit
Feb 12th, 2007, 05:34 AM
I'm not a country fan by any means but I dig those Dixie Chicks and honestly think their album is pretty good. I think it's as simple as recognizing a good body work- all that "other" stuff is just a bonus, the icing on the cake.

MrSerenaWilliams
Feb 12th, 2007, 05:34 AM
I think they're very talented, but I did think that some of the bigger awards could have gone to other nominees

Infiniti2001
Feb 12th, 2007, 05:52 AM
I too detest country, but I really dig them. I actually downloaded some of the songs :lol: Besides Natalie Maines has a beautiful voice-- it's not as whinny as some of the other country females ... Meanwhile the album is damn good :shrug:

Frode
Feb 12th, 2007, 06:36 AM

Yes, and a lot of washed up has beens.

At least Wolfmother won, and I am seeing them live in june!

BUBI
Feb 12th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Justin Timberlake and Fergie are shit and RHCP haven't made any good music since "Californication"...
Dixie Chicks album is great and Natalie Maines has beautiful voice :yeah:

Jakeev
Feb 12th, 2007, 06:59 AM
First of all the Grammys should never be (and believe it me it has happened in the past) be about how well a song does on the charts.

If that were the case a song like My Milkshake or The Humpty Hump would have won Song of the Year Grammy's in the years those songs were released.

Frankly, if there was any message The Dixie Chicks said to Nashville tonight it was to fuck off and take that.

God Bless them and also to Carrie Underwood, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Madonna and Tony Bennett for all winning Grammys.

RatedR Superstar
Feb 12th, 2007, 07:12 AM

yes it is..jethro tull (sp?) beating metallica for best rock group or something is the best example of that

Shimizu Amon
Feb 12th, 2007, 07:27 AM
The Grammy Awards are the equivalent of the European Song Contest, it's mostly about politics.

tfannis
Feb 12th, 2007, 11:37 AM
The Grammy Awards are the equivalent of the European Song Contest, it's mostly about politics.

The ESC is more about geografy if you aks me :lol:

mc8114
Feb 12th, 2007, 11:46 AM
there was probably some of that involve

but at the end they just make great music and last night was just a proof that they have the support of the music community

Mother_Marjorie
Feb 12th, 2007, 12:10 PM
I too detest country, but I really dig them. I actually downloaded some of the songs :lol: Besides Natalie Maines has a beautiful voice-- it's not as whinny as some of the other country females ... Meanwhile the album is damn good :shrug:

Natalie stated after the Grammys that she no longer viewed them as a "country" group because most of their popularity now comes from fans of other genres since some country stations refused to play their music.

Pureracket
Feb 12th, 2007, 12:13 PM
LOL!!!!! Seems like the threadstarter may need to take an introspective look. Did you root against them for political reasons?

Fergie?!?!:lol:

mandy7
Feb 12th, 2007, 12:25 PM
yes it is..jethro tull (sp?) beating metallica for best rock group or something is the best example of that

But metallica is crap
they're an overrated loud boyband
a couple of has-beens
their last few albums have been uninspired shit

kabuki
Feb 12th, 2007, 12:31 PM
There are politics in every decision by a large group. The Chicks deserved it though.

wta_zuperfann
Feb 12th, 2007, 12:50 PM
:) Dixie Chicks are the GODDESSES of country music!:)

:worship: CHICKS RULE!!!:worship:

Infiniti2001
Feb 12th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Natalie stated after the Grammys that she no longer viewed them as a "country" group because most of their popularity now comes from fans of other genres since some country stations refused to play their music.

This is fucked up in every which way-- then again it proves the backward mentality of some in this country :help:

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 12th, 2007, 01:28 PM
This is fucked up in every which way-- then again it proves the backward mentality of some in this country :help:

This thread proves the backward mentality of some as well to me. :tape: :help:

samsung101
Feb 12th, 2007, 03:41 PM
It's a good CD.
Natalie is very talented, her voice is unique. The other
two are lucky to have latched on to her.

If they break up, which they likely will, Natalie will go
on to have a great career, and the other two will be
'whatever happened to' in about 5 years.

Having said that, yes, it was more about politics than
talent.

The music industry, like the film industry, likes to reward those
who speak for the rest of them.

It was not their best CD, or even the best CD of the year.
Not by a long shot.

Their 2nd and 3rd CD's were their best, and their debut was
excellent too.

Like all acts, they don't necessarily sell the same the next time
around. Can they ever match their top 2 CD in sales? No, those
were through the roof. But, they still sell very well.

This was the most publicized, most hyped, most welcomed by
the mainstream media of the USA (which leans heavily left).

They were given tons of free media friendly publicity -Time,
Newsweek, 60 Minutes, etc. As if they were Nelson Mandela
in prison, released, and turned on to the world. When in fact, all
that happened is that after Natalie insulted country music fans,'
radio stations, and country stars, the country music fan didn't
buy their CD as much. Still did, but not as much.

They made millions with their last CD after Natalie bashed Bush
in Europe, then whined about it non-stop afterwards. They made
millions with this CD. Their tour made millions. So much for a lack
of free speech and capitalism in America. That's how dissenters
are treated in America- they become media darlings, millionaires
over & over, and get awards! Wow!

Mary J. Blige should have won, it was a better body of work. I'm not
even a huge fan of her music or style, but I heard both, and she
was better, for CD/Album of the year. Her live performance was
great too.

Not a big fan of Christina, but, she certainly can sing. Amazing when
you hear her, and then hear someone like Brittany or Jessica, yikes.
Talent v. No Talent.

Randy H
Feb 12th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I haven't heard most of the songs from the CD so I really can't comment about the quality of the album. I do think politics had some influence, but I think the Dixie Chicks have proven that they have talent, so credit to them for the awards they won.

The Grammy's are mostly a joke nowadays anyway, but I'm glad they don't stick to what the charts say, because the charts are an even bigger joke and a bigger political farse. Hopefully with the inclusion of downloads along with airplay, singles will have some different outcomes instead of the pure basis of radio stations who pick and choose who they want to hype up or show absolutely no support for.

Martian KC
Feb 12th, 2007, 06:56 PM
It had to be the dixie chicks to make an "angry" song like not ready to make nice, a sappy one. I don't know how a stupid song like that would beat out such a classic like MaryJ's Be Without You. Big UGGHHH!

Martie
Feb 12th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Are you kidding me?

Has there ever been a female country group as talented as the Dixie Chicks?

Have you even listened to the whole album?

THE DIXIE CHICKS DESERVE EVERY GRAMMY THEY GET.

Martie
Feb 12th, 2007, 07:27 PM
It's a good CD.

talent.

It was not their best CD, or even the best CD of the year.
Not by a long shot.

Their 2nd and 3rd CD's were their best, and their debut was
excellent too.

Like all acts, they don't necessarily sell the same the next time
around. Can they ever match their top 2 CD in sales? No, those
were through the roof. But, they still sell very well.

This was the most publicized, most hyped, most welcomed by
the mainstream media of the USA (which leans heavily left).

They were given tons of free media friendly publicity -Time,
Newsweek, 60 Minutes, etc. As if they were Nelson Mandela
in prison, released, and turned on to the world. When in fact, all
that happened is that after Natalie insulted country music fans,'
radio stations, and country stars, the country music fan didn't
buy their CD as much. Still did, but not as much.

They made millions with their last CD after Natalie bashed Bush
in Europe, then whined about it non-stop afterwards. They made
millions with this CD. Their tour made millions. So much for a lack
of free speech and capitalism in America. That's how dissenters
are treated in America- they become media darlings, millionaires
over & over, and get awards! Wow!

Mary J. Blige should have won, it was a better body of work. I'm not
even a huge fan of her music or style, but I heard both, and she
was better, for CD/Album of the year. Her live performance was
great too.

Not a big fan of Christina, but, she certainly can sing. Amazing when
you hear her, and then hear someone like Brittany or Jessica, yikes.
Talent v. No Talent.

:rolleyes: :weirdo: :bs:

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 12th, 2007, 08:15 PM
It's a good CD.

talent.

It's probably the other way sweetie.
Natalie Maines might have a unique voice but the girl failed harmony classes at Berklee College of Music 3 times.
Martie and Emily are great compliments to Natalie.
To me the way they are able to harmonize with Natalie is one of the best features of the group.
They make Natalie's job easier for her.

I haven't heard any rumors of the Dixie Chicks breaking up.
I doubt they will.
Unlike most female groups that break up because of children and marriages, they've already passed that point.

wta_zuperfann
Feb 12th, 2007, 09:35 PM
I

I haven't heard any rumors of the Dixie Chicks breaking up.
I doubt they will.
Unlike most female groups that break up because of children and marriages, they've already passed that point.

The haters who criticized the Chicks tried to spread that stupid rumor about 1 year or so ago. It was complete bullsh!t and nothing more than an attempt to discredit them when they were on tour.

As a fan of our beloved Chicks, I am utterly ecstatic over their success!

:worship: Go Chicks!!!:worship:

moon
Feb 12th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Dixie Chicks :D :D :D

Zummi
Feb 12th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Bushbots have been prophesizing about the breakup of the Dixie Chicks for a long time now, ever since the incident 4 years ago. Nothing new...

Politics was definitely a factor in the Chicks' multiple wins last night but it didn't matter because they were deserving winners in each category anyway. They have always been Grammy favorites and these five wins take their lifetime Grammy total to 14 now :worship:

Watching them win Country Album of the Year was a hoot. As Natalie said, Ha Ha! :devil:

Gonzo Hates Me!
Feb 12th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Re: Was the Dixie Chicks big night more about politics than talent?

yes and no. Do i care? Hell no! I love them. They're great for feminism. They just rock. I admire them. FUTK!!! I am so proud of them

RatedR Superstar
Feb 13th, 2007, 12:28 AM
But metallica is crap
they're an overrated loud boyband
a couple of has-beens
their last few albums have been uninspired shit

it was during their black album, the best metallica album ever, plus jethro tull was also against ac-dc, megadeth and some other real rock bands, jethro tull aint even rock..

i agree with you with their last few albums, it aint good, but overrated, nope, theyre the best band ever..and i dont think you can even critisize them since you listen to sissy rock music like muse or other euro crap..i mean euro rock band that would cure insomia :p

égalité
Feb 13th, 2007, 12:29 AM
They should've won anyway, but the political implications ensured their win.

mandy7
Feb 13th, 2007, 06:09 AM
it was during their black album, the best metallica album ever, plus jethro tull was also against ac-dc, megadeth and some other real rock bands, jethro tull aint even rock..

i agree with you with their last few albums, it aint good, but overrated, nope, theyre the best band ever..and i dont think you can even critisize them since you listen to sissy rock music like muse or other euro crap..i mean euro rock band that would cure insomia :p

Woman, shut it, no one talks crap about muse. :p
Anyhow, AC/DC should have won then.
I love them.

And when i was still a insomaniac, muse and the white stripes and stuff, didn't cure aything :sad:

Norah Jones cured me :hearts:

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Feb 13th, 2007, 06:11 AM
meh what can you do

mckyle.
Feb 13th, 2007, 08:45 AM
i got bed repped for this thread. ha ha. so much for freedom of speech!!

so much irony...

mckyle.
Feb 13th, 2007, 08:53 AM
IMO:

Record of the Year should have gone to Gnarls Barkley for Crazy. It was one of the more popular songs of the year. (Actually, Hips Don't Lie should have won this award, but it wasn't even nominated!!)

Album of the Year- what a shit category! all 5 albums really do not stand out, but I guess it is because I'm not into the whole alternative scene, and most of the albums in that category were that type of music

Song of the Year- Be Without You, Jesus Take The Wheel, and You're Beautiful were all more successful songs so who the hell knows why the Dixie Chicks won this award.

mckyle.
Feb 13th, 2007, 08:55 AM
LOL!!!!! Seems like the threadstarter may need to take an introspective look. Did you root against them for political reasons?

actually no i didn't. i dont think it is fair how there were other nominations that were more deserving and it is stupid that they won everything because the industry sympathizes with them

cheesestix
Feb 13th, 2007, 11:48 AM

Actually, that's not correct. It was 1989, and it was during their "And Justice for All" album. They performed "One" at the Grammy's that night.

And BTW, the other nominees (besides Tull) were Iron Maiden, Def Leppard and Grateful Dead.

And yes, Metallica deserved the Grammy over the others.

wta_zuperfann
Feb 13th, 2007, 01:05 PM
There is a God after all: Justice for the Chicks - 5 Grammys, big increase in record sales, and the Country Western Music industry is red faced after they turned their backs on our beloved Chicks.

:worship: CHICKS RULE!:worship:

Volcana
Feb 13th, 2007, 02:26 PM
It seems as though the Dixie Chicks won so many big awards tonight only because the voters are probably liberal and had sympathy for them after insulting the President of their own country.I disagree. The political brouhaha resulted in a lot more people being exposed to The Dixie Chicks, and discovering their music was really good. They were never going to win all those Grammys as just another C&W chick trio. Further, it wasn't what THEY said that got everyone's attention, it was the reaction of the C&W community. Had their statements been treated as trivial, the rest of the music world wouldn't have woken up to the Dixie Chicks. But when radio stations started refusing to play their music, everyone else started asking why?

End result: C&W, as a genre, has egg on its face, and The DIxie Chicks are bigger than ever. The thing is, C&W idol Willie Nelson is every bit as big an opponent of the Iraq War, and Bush's policies, as the Dixie Chicks, but he's such an icon nobody's gonna isk touching him.

Volcana
Feb 13th, 2007, 02:31 PM
i got bed repped for this thread. ha ha. so much for freedom of speech!!The fact that you got badrepped proves their IS Freedom of Speech.

harloo
Feb 13th, 2007, 02:37 PM
I think the controversy helped them win many of the bigger awards. They are usually grammy favorites anyways so the conflict boasted their status with members. Personally, I think if they were in a different genre it would be lights out on their career. They got away with it and I say good for them. Alot of artists that have crossover appeal are scared to make political statements these days. I can understand an artist who depends on one core audience for record sales, but those who sell across the board not being more politically conscience is quite disturbing.

winone23
Feb 13th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Yes it was about politics!!!!!

mckyle.
Feb 13th, 2007, 08:24 PM
The fact that you got badrepped proves their IS Freedom of Speech.

i would think an intelligent person such as yourself would know that i was referring to the fact that if i say something negative about the dixie chicks, then i get prosecuted; the irony is that all of these 'Chick's fans were bitching about the same thing a couple of years ago.

Gonzo Hates Me!
Feb 13th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I disagree. The political brouhaha resulted in a lot more people being exposed to The Dixie Chicks, and discovering their music was really good. They were never going to win all those Grammys as just another C&W chick trio. Further, it wasn't what THEY said that got everyone's attention, it was the reaction of the C&W community. Had their statements been treated as trivial, the rest of the music world wouldn't have woken up to the Dixie Chicks. But when radio stations started refusing to play their music, everyone else started asking why?

End result: C&W, as a genre, has egg on its face, and The DIxie Chicks are bigger than ever. The thing is, C&W idol Willie Nelson is every bit as big an opponent of the Iraq War, and Bush's policies, as the Dixie Chicks, but he's such an icon nobody's gonna isk touching him.

And he's a man

wta_zuperfann
Feb 13th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Interview with Minnesota's Dan Wilson who co-wrote "Not Ready To Make Nice":

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2007/02/12/grammy/

:worship: CHICKS ARE GREAT!!!:worship:

RatedR Superstar
Feb 14th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Actually, that's not correct. It was 1989, and it was during their "And Justice for All" album. They performed "One" at the Grammy's that night.

And BTW, the other nominees (besides Tull) were Iron Maiden, Def Leppard and Grateful Dead.

And yes, Metallica deserved the Grammy over the others.

:o i stand to be corrected...my memory failed me again :smash: :lol: but still, metallica should have one, and them losing to a band who has a flute is an example that grammy is more on politics