PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Murphy rules the box office with $33.7 Million 'Norbit' haul!

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 11th, 2007, 09:54 PM
LOS ANGELES - Movie fans couldn't pass up three Eddie Murphys for the price of one. Murphy's comedy "Norbit," in which he plays three wildly different roles, opened as the top weekend movie with $33.7 million, according to studio estimates Sunday.

The DreamWorks production easily beat the debut of the MGM-Weinstein Co. thriller "Hannibal Rising," a prequel about "The Silence of the Lambs" serial killer Hannibal Lecter that came in at No. 2 with $13.35 million.

Murphy had not had a starring role in a movie since 2003's "The Haunted Mansion," but "Norbit" benefited from huge acclaim and publicity he has received for "Dreamgirls," for which he is expected to win the supporting-actor Academy Award.

"He wasn't that visible on marquees in huge hits for a while, then suddenly every time you turn around, it's `Wow, what a surprise. Eddie is great,'" said DreamWorks spokesman Marvin Levy.

But while it was the year's biggest opening so far, "Norbit" was not able to lift Hollywood out of its box-office funk that has seen revenues fall for six straight weekends. The top 12 movies took in $91.3 million, down 10.5 percent from the same weekend in 2006, when "The Pink Panther" and "Final Destination 3" both debuted in the $20 million range.

"Norbit" was the 14th No. 1 opening for Murphy and came in well above the expectations of distributor Paramount, which had projected the movie might pull in about $25 million over its opening weekend.

The movie was trashed by critics, but the lure of Murphy again handling multiple roles as he did in "Coming to America" and "The Nutty Professor" proved irresistible. Murphy plays mild-mannered Norbit, his grossly overweight and overbearing wife and a Chinese orphanage owner who raised him.

"Dreamgirls," another Paramount-DreamWorks release, also remained in the top 10 with $3.1 million, lifting its total to $97.1 million. Murphy has another sure hit coming in May with DreamWorks' animated sequel "Shrek the Third," in which he reprises his voice role as gabby sidekick Donkey.

"It really doesn't get much better than this for an actor at this point in your career," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Media By Numbers. "This is a guy whose career has spanned over two decades, and he's still as viable a box-office star as anyone out there."

Psychopath Lecter, however, has lost his box-office luster. With French actor Gaspard Ulliel starring as a young version of the killer played in three films by Anthony Hopkins, "Hannibal Rising" was savaged by critics and drew only modest crowds.

Sony Pictures Classics' "The Lives of Others," a German film nominated for the foreign-language Oscar, debuted strongly in limited release with $222,727 in 13 theaters. The film follows a playwright and actress under surveillance by police in 1980s East Berlin.

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 11th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Media By Numbers LLC. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. "Norbit," $33.7 million.

2. "Hannibal Rising," $13.35 million.

3. "Because I Said So," $9 million.

4. "The Messengers," $7.2 million.

5. "Night at the Museum," $5.75 million.

6. "Epic Movie," $4.45 million.

7. "Smokin' Aces," $3.8 million.

8. "Pan's Labyrinth," $3.55 million.

9. "Dreamgirls," $3.1 million.

10. "The Queen," $2.5 million.

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 11th, 2007, 09:56 PM
CRITICS BE DAMNED! THE PUBLIC HAS SPOKEN! :worship:

mirzalover
Feb 11th, 2007, 10:08 PM
i thought it looked stupid but it was fun to watch

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 11th, 2007, 10:10 PM
i thought it looked stupid but it was fun to watch

Yeah...its a silly movie. :lol: Although i do not think the overweight peoples society ( or whatever there called ) were to thrilled about the portrayel of overweight people
:tape: :help:

meyerpl
Feb 11th, 2007, 10:45 PM
It's great to see someone as talented and funny as Eddie Murphy with a hit movie, especially after such a long string of flops.

MrSerenaWilliams
Feb 11th, 2007, 10:48 PM
2 films in the top 10 :yeah: Great job!

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 11th, 2007, 10:50 PM
2 films in the top 10 :yeah: Great job!

Oh yeah...i forgot about DREAMGIRLS :worship:

MrSerenaWilliams
Feb 11th, 2007, 10:55 PM
:lol: They should have named it Jennifer Hudson, and the A Listers :lol:

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 12th, 2007, 12:04 AM
:lol: They should have named it Jennifer Hudson, and the A Listers :lol:

:worship:

Steam
Feb 12th, 2007, 12:35 AM
CRITICS BE DAMNED! THE PUBLIC HAS SPOKEN! :worship:

And the public are idiots. You couldn't drag me to see such pure and utter shit.

Its pitiful that such crap comes out the same week that Delirious was released on DVD.

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 12th, 2007, 01:30 AM
And the public are idiots. You couldn't drag me to see such pure and utter shit.

Its pitiful that such crap comes out the same week that Delirious was released on DVD.

So i guess you won't be getting the NORBIT dvd for your next birthday :lol: ;)

RVD
Feb 12th, 2007, 01:33 AM
It's great to see someone as talented and funny as Eddie Murphy with a hit movie, especially after such a long string of flops.
"For Eddie to follow what he did with 'Dreamgirls' with this just doesn't make sense," said Robert M. Entman, author of "The Black Image in the White Mind: Media and Race in America." "There's no excuse for him to lend his prestige to something like this.... There has to be a point where African American stars of his stature have to take some responsibility for their actions and just say no."

Chaw writes:

Norbit isn't farce--it's a thoughtless, cancerous, viral, irresponsible pollution whose existence speaks ill of the society that produced it and of any society that would endorse or defend it. It's not the end of civilization, just symptomatic of how easy it is to get laughs on the backs of the disenfranchised--and of how African-American actors get awards for singing and acting like criminals (or bright children and athletes) but generally get paid for acting the fool. http://blog.ifctv.com/ yep...
Pretty much sums it up for me. Don't know how much it cost for this garbage to be made, but why would someone of Murphy's caliber make such a waste byproduct? http://deephousepage.com/smilies/banghead.gif http://deephousepage.com/smilies/jpshakehead.gif And here I was thinking that he'd regained his former glory with his stint in 'Dreamgirls'. :sad:

Steam
Feb 12th, 2007, 01:40 AM
So i guess you won't be getting the NORBIT dvd for your next birthday :lol: ;)

If it comes in a dualpack with Pluto Nash I just might. I still can't believe that its the same guy who made Beverly Hills Cop, 48 Hours, AND Coming to America.

For comedic talent I try to evalute people on three levels 1) talents in sketch comedy or similar venues such as late-night talk shows 2) stand up 3)movies. Eddie thrived in all three much more so than any other person in the past 30 years. And now he's doing this?

Marcus Jordan
Feb 12th, 2007, 02:04 AM
my favorite actors:
1. Laetitia Casta
2. Sly Stallone
3. Ed Murphy

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 12th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Guys, Eddie decided to make NORBIT long before he knew what sort of affect his DREAMGIRLS role would have on his career. This was Eddies first STARRING role in a motion picture since 2003s Haunted Mansion. I think we can expect greater things from him in the years to come ...especialy if he WINS the Oscar ;) :bounce:

Steam
Feb 12th, 2007, 03:39 AM
I think we can expect greater things from him in the years to come ...especialy if he WINS the Oscar ;) :bounce:

Isn't that what people said about Cuba Gooding Jr. ten years ago?

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 12th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Isn't that what people said about Cuba Gooding Jr. ten years ago?

Eddie is no Cuba ;) Although i bet Eddie wishes he could break dance like Cuba :lol:

Steam
Feb 12th, 2007, 03:56 AM
Eddie is no Cuba ;) Although i bet Eddie wishes he could break dance like Cuba :lol:

Yeah you are right. Eddie would insist on changing costumes and personalities for each "SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!"

Marcus Jordan
Feb 12th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Ed Murphy in Jerry Maguire would KILL!

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 12th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Yeah you are right. Eddie would insist on changing costumes and personalities for each "SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!"

Eddie would have more costume changes than Cher on tour :lol: