PDA

View Full Version : Beyonce's "Listen" doesn't get enough credit

Viktymise
Feb 11th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Its a superb song, and she she performs it so well and powerfully and emotionally yet keeping it in controlled, Yes Hudson's "And Im Telling You" is extremely powerful and emotional, but she oversings it way too much especially at the end, its still a great performance but i thought technically Beyonce was better and should have been given alot more credit, here she was singing it live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEC-6qUb-Uk

Thoughts?

Pengwin
Feb 11th, 2007, 08:01 PM
It's my favourite Beyonce song of all time, I think it's really brilliant.

P.S. is it just me or does she look really Chinese in that video :shrug:

mirzalover
Feb 11th, 2007, 08:19 PM

I thought i was the only one who felt that way

Knizzle
Feb 11th, 2007, 08:30 PM
That's a nice performance, and I like the song, but she was lipsynching here.

Dawn Marie
Feb 11th, 2007, 08:47 PM
I actually don't like the song. I also think she sings the song no where at all as good as Jennifer Hudson sings "I'm telling you".

I even think "One night Only" by Jennifer Hudson is even sung better than "Listen".

mc8114
Feb 11th, 2007, 09:33 PM
It's a more grown up song compared to what she's got us used to

i loved her performance and she should have recieved more credit for it

MrSerenaWilliams
Feb 11th, 2007, 09:41 PM

:haha: yeah, she looks a BIT too yellow :lol:

MrSerenaWilliams
Feb 11th, 2007, 09:42 PM
That's a nice performance, and I like the song, but she was lipsynching here.:shrug: How can you tell :confused:

nikita771
Feb 11th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Although I fel that Jennifer brought down the house with her rendition of I'm telling You, I think that Beyonce did an incredible job with this song. I was literally sitting in the theater with my mouth open as she came to this revelation. The words alone gave me chills. It's definitely my second favorite song from the movie.

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 11th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Its a superb song, and she she performs it so well and powerfully and emotionally yet keeping it in controlled, Yes Hudson's "And Im Telling You" is extremely powerful and emotional, but she oversings it way too much especially at the end, its still a great performance but i thought technically Beyonce was better and should have been given alot more credit, here she was singing it live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEC-6qUb-Uk

Thoughts?

Jennifer Hudson oversings a song that is suppose to be oversung.
I've heard everything now. :lol:

For Jennifer Hudson to even have people believing her version of the song is better than or even close to Jennifer Holiday's version is the grandest compliment in itself.

Beyonce will never ever be able to sing a classic song and have people believing it's better than the original.

Listen is alright.
The words are powerful but the passion behind them is meek compared to any song that Jennifer Hudson did in the soundtrack.

When she is singing throughout the movie, I believe whatever she's going through. I can feel it.
That's one of the reasons she was nominated for an Oscar.

Apoleb
Feb 11th, 2007, 11:17 PM
For Jennifer Hudson to even have people believing her version of the song is better than or even close to Jennifer Holiday's version is the grandest compliment in itself.

I think only fools believe that. Jennifer Hudson's version is good (personally I'd say OK) but it's no where to be compared to Holliday's. Whitney's version was also far better than Hudson's.

harloo
Feb 11th, 2007, 11:21 PM
That's a nice performance, and I like the song, but she was lipsynching here.

I saw the whole Dreamgirls show on Oprah and she was NOT lipsynching.

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 12th, 2007, 12:34 AM

Well she wasn't perfect tonight on the Grammy's.
Those first through bars were iffy.
I'm sure you'll be able to see it tommorrow. :wavey:

Brooklyn90
Feb 12th, 2007, 12:45 AM
it's a great song :worship: she preformed it amazing at the grammys!!!

harloo
Feb 12th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Well she wasn't perfect tonight on the Grammy's.
Those first through bars were iffy.
I'm sure you'll be able to see it tommorrow. :wavey:

Hmm...I guess we'll see. The one thing about Beyonce(even if YOU hate her) is that she sings live the majority of the time and actually sounds decent. You may hate her voice, her look, whatever, but she is a great performer. ;)

Knizzle
Feb 12th, 2007, 01:01 AM
I think she was and it's perfectly normal these days. There's no shame in it, but I definitely don't think she sang that live, it was too "controlled" if you will. Her grammy performance definitely sounded more "live" than that Oprah performance.

harloo
Feb 12th, 2007, 01:08 AM
I think she was and it's perfectly normal these days. There's no shame in it, but I definitely don't think she sang that live, it was too "controlled" if you will. Her grammy performance definitely sounded more "live" than that Oprah performance.

She sounded the same way on Oprah she sounds during mostly all of her performances. Youtube Beyonce and you will see that she clearly sings the majority of the time, and I remember this performance quite well. It wasn't lipsyched at all, maybe you need to catch a repeat of Oprah and see it on television.:)

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 12th, 2007, 01:14 AM
She sounded the same way on Oprah she sounds during mostly all of her performances. Youtube Beyonce and you will see that she clearly sings the majority of the time, and I remember this performance quite well. It wasn't lipsyched at all, maybe you need to catch a repeat of Oprah and see it on television.:)

Yes and that's why when she was on a real Live show, she started off flat.
It's ok.
I understand that sometimes Beyonce is doing so many modulations throughout a song that she can get caught looking ahead.
Well she did this time.
Then again that could be stopped by actually sticking to the original.
She never ever does. She's always adding something.
She tried to start off by herself but by the time the piano came in she started to find her way.

Knizzle
Feb 12th, 2007, 01:17 AM

OK, I wish I could see the repeat, but I doubt it'd change my mind. I'm not saying Beyonce can't sing live because she can, she just doesn't all the time.

harloo
Feb 12th, 2007, 01:20 AM
OK, I wish I could see the repeat, but I doubt it'd change my mind. I'm not saying Beyonce can't sing live because she can, she just doesn't all the time.

Ok, got it.:) ;)

Knizzle
Feb 12th, 2007, 01:20 AM
It's ok.
I understand that sometimes Beyonce is doing so many modulations throughout a song that she can get caught looking ahead.
Well she did this time.
She tried to start off by herself but by the time the piano came in she started to find her way.
LOL @ modulations, reminds me of my high school's music teacher. She wasn't perfect tonight, but she was great to me, it was a REAL live performance. I think it's sort of boring for the artist if they stick 100% to the way a song is recorded on a track and a bored artist won't give an electric performance. It's always good to add something to a performance.

harloo
Feb 12th, 2007, 01:22 AM
It's ok.
Well she did this time.

Of course any singer can start off in the wrong key and get back on track. It happens to the best of them Wannabe. Let's be honest here, your ramblings aren't about her singing. You just don't like her, right?:) :lol:

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 12th, 2007, 01:54 AM
Of course any singer can start off in the wrong key and get back on track. It happens to the best of them Wannabe. Let's be honest here, your ramblings aren't about her singing. You just don't like the bitch, right?:) :lol:

I don't hate her.
I just believe she get more credit than she deserves.
Compared to many artist that have come out around the same time as she has, she lacks depth.
In a song where she actually shows some depth like in "Listen", people have gotten so use to her showing the opposite that it's not believeable.

She goes on Oprah, sings the hell out of the song and as a single goes nowhere.
Corrine Bailey Rae comes on Oprah, does the same thing in her own style and her album jumps up the charts.

It just shows you where people view her.
I would have to say she only has herself to blame for that.

jerk-in-the-box
Feb 12th, 2007, 03:06 AM
That performance was definitely live, that was just the beautiful gift she was given and also the reason why I enjoy her voice much more than the powerful voice of Hudson's. I mean Jennifer can sing but Beyonce has so much control and a much better quality voice than Jennifer. Knizzle if you need a reference then look up on youtube the THREE 2005 Academy Awards performances beyonce sang. Or the Diva's live 2004 performance of dangerously in love. Just beautiful

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 12th, 2007, 03:20 AM
then look up on youtube the THREE 2005 Academy Awards performances beyonce sang. Just beautiful

Are you insane?
Any person who speaks fluent French will tell you that she butchered the hell out of Vois Sur Ton Chemin.

MrSerenaWilliams
Feb 12th, 2007, 03:56 AM
:help: Oui, c'est tres.....:help:

but it sounded great :hearts:

mckyle.
Feb 12th, 2007, 04:42 AM
it's a very beautiful song. so different from everything she has made so far.

Jakeev
Feb 12th, 2007, 07:33 AM
I don't know why people have to keep comparing Beyonce and Jennifer's numbers from Dreamgirls.

The only song you can really compare is One Night Only in which Jennifer has the slower ballad version and the Dream's have the disco version.

Now as far as that song is concerned, I actually prefer the Dream's disco version. It's my least favorite song from Jennifer of all her perfomances.

mandy7
Feb 12th, 2007, 07:39 AM
It's f-ing boring.

hdfb
Feb 12th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Listen's really my type of song..... I'm a sucker for those type of songs. :o

I still haven't seen Dreamgirls. :(

Shimizu Amon
Feb 12th, 2007, 07:47 AM
I love Beyoncé, she's truly amazing. She is truly gifted and works her ass off for the succes she's having. I love the performance she gave at Oprah and it's definitely live. I'm a pro in seeing of someone's singing live or doing lip-synching. Trust me my own personal diva is one of the finest in lip-synching.
Anywho Beyoncé rocks and she has a very warm soulful voice.

Viktymise
Feb 12th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Jennifer Hudson oversings a song that is suppose to be oversung.
I've heard everything now. :lol:

Beyonce will never ever be able to sing a classic song and have people believing it's better than the original.

Listen is alright.
The words are powerful but the passion behind them is meek compared to any song that Jennifer Hudson did in the soundtrack.

When she is singing throughout the movie, I believe whatever she's going through. I can feel it.
That's one of the reasons she was nominated for an Oscar.

Well im sorry but i didn't know the objective of the song was to burst my eardruns because a the end of it she comes pretty close to doing so :o

Viktymise
Feb 12th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Beyonce is Not lip syncing in the vid