PDA

View Full Version : Should Polish history be taught in UK schools?

tenn_ace
Feb 11th, 2007, 02:16 AM
I just read that the Polish ambassador to UK Barbara Tuge Erecinska demanded that Polish history be taught in the UK schools based on the fact that (according to her) there are 600,000 Polish immigrants in the UK. The official data is different around 307,000. If the ambassador is correct, then Polish immigrants have become 3rd largest minority in the UK.

What do you think? Is it a fair demand?

Mightymirza
Feb 11th, 2007, 03:21 AM
well they can add couple of chapters in books!! It could be touched upon in syllabus!!

Cat's Pajamas
Feb 11th, 2007, 03:24 AM
No. It reminds me of a situation here in Texas, where a new law is trying to be passed to where school leaders have to be able to speak Spanish, because many children in the public school system can't even speak English. :rolleyes:

Reuchlin
Feb 11th, 2007, 05:10 AM
As a historian, I think that the whole way that UK schools teach history needs to be re-vamped in a major way. The current way that history is being thought is about 50 years behind what the newest scholarships says about the subject. First on the "to do" list, is getting rid of history that tries to construct single national “narratives” that do little more than reinforce old myths about nation, race, class and gender.

antonella
Feb 11th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Are there any English people left in England these days??

Halardfan
Feb 11th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Interesting this...the recent large number of Poles coming to Britain, have made me feel me own families history more...Im English, but my Grandad is Polish, who came here during the war when the call went out to Poles around the world to fight Nazi Germany...no one complained about a Polish immigrant then! Im proud of this part of who I am.

Poland of course had a pivotal role in World War 2 and the cold war, so both should be touched on in history lessons, but not really much more than that.

Many native British kids are too stupid to know anything about even British history anyway...they accuse the Polish of not speaking English correctly but can't even manage it themselves.

piercerocks
Feb 11th, 2007, 06:18 AM
they should have a chapter in global history. thats it.

CooCooCachoo
Feb 11th, 2007, 07:33 AM
It should be taught to the extent that it is relevant within a) global history (so WWII for example) and b) British history in particular.

jrm
Feb 11th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Is Indian/Pakistani history thought in UK :shrug:

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 11th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Is Indian/Pakistani history thought in UK :shrug:

thought ?? yes
chicken vindaloo every friday night :lol: :tape:
taught no :o

Sam L
Feb 11th, 2007, 09:42 AM
It should be available as an option on the curriculum, not as a compulsory subject.

suffer well
Feb 11th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Are there any English people left in England these days??

Very few. Most are now living in Benidorm and Florida....

controlfreak
Feb 11th, 2007, 10:56 AM
They should teach them that Poland is a much much nicer place to live than England, and that they should all go back there as soon as they are old enough.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Feb 11th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Yes, why not? I have to learn about English history, so why not they learn in England about Polish history? :shrug:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Feb 11th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Is Indian/Pakistani history tought in UK :shrug:

It is in Poland :tape:

suffer well
Feb 11th, 2007, 11:19 AM
They should teach them that Poland is a much much nicer place to live than England, and that they should all go back there as soon as they are old enough.

:lol: You sound like the PC spokesman for the BNP....

Mina Vagante
Feb 11th, 2007, 11:50 AM
we have A LOT of poles in england- i mean ALOT!!! but we dont learn about polish history in schools, unless we take history as an A-LEVEL, but yeh i would like to learn about it, we always learn about wars and stuff

Marshmallow
Feb 11th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Was this all of her reasoning? Sounds like a ridiculous reason to me.

There are maybe more Pakistani/Indian/Nigerian/Chinese/Caribbean (list goes on)... immigrants in the UK. If you add polish history, it's on fair to add the history of all these nations. That's just not fair on students.

I think what should happen, is that more should be taught about major events in history - in general. So much interesting world history isn't taught, instead from what my friends say, there is just focus on English history. All just seems a little ethnocentric. - But fine i guess.

wally1
Feb 11th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Are there any English people left in England these days??If you travelled on the London underground you wouldn't think so. The only english you hear is from american tourists.

Marshmallow
Feb 11th, 2007, 12:49 PM
If you travelled on the London underground you wouldn't think so. The only english you hear is from american tourists.

I think this is a little extreme. London is the capital city, so most immigrants settle there. But Honestly outside of the 3/4 major cities, you can go to places were you can count the non-enligh people on one hand.

Marshmallow
Feb 11th, 2007, 12:50 PM

OMG :tape: :speakles:

gumoll
Feb 11th, 2007, 12:53 PM
YES!!!

:p

gumoll
Feb 11th, 2007, 12:57 PM
more and more Poles are going abroad

most to the UK and Ireland

Lord Nelson
Feb 11th, 2007, 01:46 PM
more and more Poles are going abroad

most to the UK and Ireland

Don't tell that to the Romanians, they are not allowed to come to UK wothout a visa. But I think they can go to Poland. So there will be like 600'000 romanians in richer Poland and Poland will have to teach...... Romanian history. :p

gumoll
Feb 11th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Don't tell that to the Romanians, they are not allowed to come to UK wothout a visa. But I think they can go to Poland. So there will be like 600'000 romanians in richer Poland and Poland will have to teach...... Romanian history. :p
great :lol:

SJW
Feb 11th, 2007, 02:09 PM
We we're never taught history about the Caribbean, and people have been immigrating from there in huge numbers since the 60s, as well as Brits going to live there.

I don't see why...English schools should learn to teach history before they teach Polish history :tape:

Bezz
Feb 11th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I don't see why we should have to teach polish history, if they want to learn about it they can buy books/research it themselves. I fail to see why the 99% of people that are not polish in this country should have to learn polish history.

Yet again another minority that chose to come to this country and demand we do things thier way. If they want to learn about polish history they should have stayed in poland. :angel: :tape:

CooCooCachoo
Feb 11th, 2007, 02:33 PM
By the way, if Polish history were to be taught, who is going to teach it? The English teachers who have no knowledge of it? Or will Polish teachers be 'imported', who then have no knowledge of the English history that has to be taught in the curriculum?

Smart.

PointBlank
Feb 11th, 2007, 04:17 PM
We dont have Irish history or German history, when there is an obviously huge amount of people with Irish and German descent here. Its rediculous. We have World History and US History as compulsory. Really no need for anything else.

Reuchlin
Feb 11th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Wow, I'm surrpised at how many of you still hold firm to the notion that history in school should only taught to reinforce some kind of 'nationalist pride.' I thought this board was "progressive."