PDA

View Full Version : All this kerfuffle about racism, black & white etc...

ceiling_fan
Feb 10th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Did you know that the amount of pigment melanin in the WHOLE body can be spread across the the tip of one finger. This means that (well not all but i can say most) bloodshed over skin color etc comes down to a fingertips' amount of melanin in the body!

Stamp Paid
Feb 10th, 2007, 05:00 AM
For just white people, or for everybody. :unsure:

ceiling_fan
Feb 10th, 2007, 05:10 AM
well there are minor differences in the two types of pigmentation you can have in the skin... but its still a fingertips worth!!

Rocketta
Feb 10th, 2007, 04:00 PM
well there are minor differences in the two types of pigmentation you can have in the skin... but its still a fingertips worth!!

well the difference between humans and rats are just a few % pts of DNA?? So I ask what's you point? People shouldn't hurt other people, period. Why should we have to convince people.....people are the same under the skin? It's like giving some credence to those beliefs, imo. :shrug:

meyerpl
Feb 10th, 2007, 05:08 PM
well the difference between humans and rats are just a few % pts of DNA?? So I ask what's you point? People shouldn't hurt other people, period. Why should we have to convince people.....people are the same under the skin? It's like giving some credence to those beliefs, imo. :shrug:

Rocketta has boiled it down to the only thing people really need to take to heart.

If ethnologists are to be believed, in about 200 years there won't be much to discuss anymore when it comes to race. Most everyone in the world will be within a shade or two of each other in terms of skin color.

Have no fear if you who thrive on conflict and disention, religious differences will, in all likelyhood, still be going strong.

Steffica Greles
Feb 10th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Rocketta has boiled it down to the only thing people really need to take to heart.

If ethnologists are to be believed, in about 200 years there won't be much to discuss anymore when it comes to race. Most everyone in the world will be within a shade or two of each other in terms of skin color.

Have no fear if you who thrive on conflict and disention, religious differences will, in all likelyhood, still be going strong.

You know I'd always wondered that.

It's all hypothetical because, as things are going, the world won't last much longer anyway, but if populations as they are were to remain static, and climates around the world were to remain as they are, white people in the U.S would, over hundreds or probably thousands of years, gradually mutate to a darker shade of skin to protect them from the sun, and dark-skinned people in Northern Europe would gradually become lighter?

It's all completely hypothetical because not only are our climates changing, even if the world does last another hundred years, international migration will continue.

But it just goes to show, 'race' is a human construct.

Sam L
Feb 11th, 2007, 12:54 AM

I agree.

Religious and cultural differences.