PDA

View Full Version : What's the main thing that holds YOU back in life?

Steffica Greles
Feb 8th, 2007, 11:26 PM
We all hear the term 'depression' bandied about. Oh of course debilitating mental illness exists, but as we're all individuals, it's quite often not helpful to use such an umbrella term in my opinion. It's also sometimes even more destructive to the self-esteem to believe that you have a disease of the mind: it becomes self-perpetuating.

So, let's break it down. What is the main sentiment, if you can sum it up in one word, which holds you back. Choose one, even if the others seem applicable as well, that, if tackled, would emancipate you enough to work on the rest.

ampers&
Feb 8th, 2007, 11:29 PM
procrastination

it's been beating my ass since I was 14 years old.

*edit*

i see the poll now, lol.
ehhh, low self-confidence. :shrug:

Steffica Greles
Feb 8th, 2007, 11:31 PM
procrastination

Me too!!

But what makes you procrastinate? There must be a reason.

Steffica Greles
Feb 8th, 2007, 11:32 PM
procrastination

*edit*

i see the poll now, lol.

Oh, I missed your comment lower down.:)

SelesFan70
Feb 8th, 2007, 11:43 PM
My love of Sally Struthers. :help:

MrSerenaWilliams
Feb 8th, 2007, 11:57 PM
on the poll: low self confidence, but overall, Procrasitination by FAR :sad::help:

LeRoy.
Feb 9th, 2007, 12:01 AM
low self-confidence

I can be very hard on myself at times.I wish i would see all the wondeful things i have acheived and be satisfied with things more often...

Crazy Canuck
Feb 9th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Fear and low confidence.

I should be in a much better place academically or career wise than I am right now, but for those reasons haven't mustered the effort to get myself where I know that I should be.

It's one thing to know I should be doing better than I am, and another thing to believe it, feel it, and do something about it.

controlfreak
Feb 9th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Irrational fears of everyday things. That, and getting my pubic hair caught in the car door last Tuesday. It wasn't even my car!

kiwifan
Feb 9th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Someone with more money and power than my current employer seeing, in me, the same things my current employer sees in me. :smoke:

I picked "culture" but I mean "corporate culture" (for example no relatives in positions of power :mad: )

Once you climb high enough up the corporate ladder there are nice little gaps in that ladder :fiery: and someone has to drop down the extension in order for us "mere mortals" to keep climbing. I may have gone as far as I can go on this path...and I'm happy with that...for now. :hehehe:

Stamp Paid
Feb 9th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Lack of self-discipline.
If I dont WANT to do something, I have to make myself do it. And its hard to make myself do anything.
Im not sure about which of your options reflects that.

Apoleb
Feb 9th, 2007, 12:30 AM
procrastination

*edit*

i see the poll now, lol.

Same thing here. Though I improved. There are just too many things these days to waste your time on.

Couver
Feb 9th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Hmm I'm not sure I can pick one exactly from that list.

I'm a perfectionist so when things don't go exactly like I have planned out in my head I get discouraged. I like to have complete control of all apsects of my life which obviously is very difficult.

Lately though I have lost a lot of focus due to "love for another" which I swore I never would do. But they are definetly that cliche perfect person. Unfortunatly they are not an option and never will be. So I have to be content with being friends with them, which is a whole other mess.

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 9th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Fear/low confidence with a dash of Self-loathing

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 9th, 2007, 01:17 AM
procrastination
Oh God, yes.

Lack of self-discipline.
Word.

meyerpl
Feb 9th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Why isn't "wife and kids" on the list?

Dementieva_Dude
Feb 9th, 2007, 04:33 AM
self loathing and fear/low confidence.

I'm a huge perfectionist, so I can be really hard on myself (especially in areas where I'm pretty good at things). My therapist told me I'm too smart for my own good (since I overthink EVERYTHING), and that I have a fear of success :eek: I'm working on everything, it's just hard sometimes.

It is nice to know that there are others on the board with the same "problems"

Wigglytuff
Feb 9th, 2007, 05:50 AM
i dont feel held back in life. :shrug:

Sam L
Feb 9th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Money? If I were a billionaire I'd dedicate myself to preservation of the world's ecosystems and biodiversity. And to the advancement of the cultures, religions and nations that I like.

Yeah, so it's $$$.

hdfb
Feb 9th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Religion/Culture

Kart
Feb 9th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Fear's a bit of a strong word isn't it ?

Some people are naturally cautious rather than afraid but it is splitting hairs I suppose.

I picked shame.

Steffica Greles
Feb 9th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Why isn't "wife and kids" on the list?

Love for another? ;)

MistyGrey
Feb 9th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Fear of consequences, and lack of self discipline, which then leads to repenting and eventually low self esteem.

:(

GoDominique
Feb 9th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Me.

MistyGrey
Feb 9th, 2007, 01:07 PM
or Procrastination.

:p

MistyGrey
Feb 9th, 2007, 01:16 PM
From Wikipedia

"The tense-afraid type of procrastinator usually feels overwhelmed with pressure, unrealistic about time, uncertain about goals and many other negative feelings. Feeling that they lack the ability or focus to successfully complete their work, they tell themselves that they need to unwind and relax, that it's better to take it easy for the afternoon, for example, and start afresh in the morning. Their 'relaxing' is a temporary and ineffective measure, and leads to even more stress as time runs out, deadlines approach and the person feels increasingly guilty and apprehensive. This behavior becomes a cycle of failure and delay, as plans and goals are put off, penciled into the following day or week in the diary again and again. It can also have a debilitating effect on their personal lives and relationships. Since they are uncertain about their goals, they often feel awkward with people who appear confident and goal-oriented, which can lead to depression"

OMG!! That is exactly what happens! I need help!

Mattographer
Feb 9th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Fear/ low confidence

But procrastination is my biggest problem! :o

PamShriverRockz
Feb 9th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Fear/low confidence with a dash of Self-loathing

Me too.

Steffica Greles
Feb 9th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Me too.

What an awful cocktail. Those are my main ingredients.

It ain't no sex on the beach :lol:

cellophane
Feb 9th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Where is lack of desire?

Helen Lawson
Feb 9th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Fear of being financially broke. It's actually made me what some would say is rich, but the funny thing about rich is, you never figure you're quite there, so the cycle continues.

Steffica Greles
Feb 9th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Where is lack of desire?

:banghead: :smash: :rolleyes:

:)

Scratch beneath the surface, and what causes your lack of desire? Fear of not achieving your dreams however hard you work? Fear of the pressure that achievement can bring? Fear that you can't begin to achieve because you won't have the energy to see it through? Fear that it won't make you happy anyway?

cellophane
Feb 9th, 2007, 03:34 PM
:banghead: :smash: :rolleyes:

:)

Scratch beneath the surface, and what causes your lack of desire? Fear of not achieving your dreams however hard you work? Fear of the pressure that acheiving can bring? Fear that you can't begin to achieve because you won't have the energy to see it through? Fear that it won't make you happy anyway?

None of the above. Lack of real interest in anything I'm doing.

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 9th, 2007, 03:54 PM
None of the above. Lack of real interest in anything I'm doing.
That lack of motivation is a result of something, Ivan. :p

cellophane
Feb 9th, 2007, 04:02 PM
That lack of motivation is a result of something, Ivan. :p

Um, well... I don't know what it's a result of. ;) It's just there in of itself. It's definitely none of the above on the list. Besides, I've already said I'm not motivated, because I'm not interested... Motivation and lack of interest aren't really the same things. ;)