PDA

View Full Version : John Amaechi (NBA Baller) to come out publicly

Cam'ron Giles
Feb 7th, 2007, 02:01 PM
John Amaechi to come out publicly
By Cyd Zeigler jr. (cyd@outsports.com) and Jim Buzinski (jim@outsports.com)
Outsports.com
Discuss John Amaechi's coming out (http://www.outsports.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37335&st=20)
http://www.outsports.com/nba/20062007/amechi.jpgJohn Amaechi, a former player with the Utah Jazz and Orlando Magic, has become the first NBA player to come out as gay.
Amaechi will announce publicly for the first time that he is gay on an episode of ESPN's "Outside The Lines" to air Feb. 13, Outsports has learned. His book, published by ESPN Books, "Man In The Middle," in which he chronicles his NBA career and directly addresses the travails of being a closeted professional athlete, will be released the following week.
Amaechi's sexuality has been rumored for years. In an April 2001 column (http://www.outsports.com/ballin/041001.htm) for Outsports, NBA columnist Randy Boyd named Amaechi, then playing with the Orlando Magic, as No. 16 among those in the NBA most likely to be gay.
"Could be that the Nigerian-Brit just operates on a different planet?" Boyd asked in his column. "But then again, that explanation for his atypical behavior wouldn’t be any fun now would it?"
That atypical behavior included a penchant for designing gardens, listening to opera before games and writing poetry.
In Amaechi's first contact with Outsports in December, he asked with his playful sense of humor, "Why wasn't I higher than 16th?"
Outsports has been tracking this story for the last year, as quiet rumblings in private conversations started to surface, and had agreed to embargo a story until just prior to his first TV appearance. However, speculation that Amaechi was coming out has become heavy in the past few days, with his publicist, Howard Bragman, dropping hints at a Super Bowl week party in Miami about an NBA player coming out.
Amaechi contacted Outsports' Cyd Zeigler in December and Outsports introduced Amaechi to Bragman. The publicist had previously handled the coming out of NFL player Esera Tuaolo, golfer Rosie Jones and WNBA superstar Sheryl Swoopes.
Outsports acquired a copy of Amaechi's book last week. It is clearly the work of a thoughtful, intelligent man who has focused even more on developing his character and spirit as he has on his jump shot and rebounding.
The book traces his life from early childhood until he was bought out of his contract with the New York Knicks in early 2004. Along the way it paints the picture of a lonely man who only found community when he gathered the strength to start coming out to friends and family.
Amaechi was raised mostly in England by a single mother. He did not discover basketball until he was well into his teens. He spent one year playing high school basketball in the United States before heading to Vanderbilt, where he played only one season before transferring to Penn State.
Amaechi was a standout on the Penn State basketball team from 1992 to 1995, where he was twice named First Team Academic All-American. He was not drafted, but he became the first undrafted player in league history to start in his first game as a rookie, with the Cleveland Cavaliers.
He followed his time as a Cavalier with three years playing in Europe, where he dated and had a regular boyfriend for a time in England. He returned to the NBA in 1999 and was celibate until he went to the Jazz. His guaranteed contract with the Jazz set his mind at ease, and it was there that he began venturing out to gay establishments and building a mostly gay circle of friends (the first wide circle of friends of his life, according to the book).
"Those grumpy social conservatives who continue to insist that gay life is lonely and unhappy have obviously never met my friends," Amaechi wrote.
He writes of his first sexual experience in the United States, and how the Utah Jazz and Salt Lake City, controlled by the Latter Day Saints, was an odd backdrop for what felt like his coming out party. He also acknowledges that those in gay clubs like New York's Splash and Los Angeles' Abbey who have claimed in the past to have spotted him there while he was with the Jazz may, in fact, have done so.
"By the end of my second Utah season, I was practically daring reporters to take the bait and out me," he wrote. "But it never happened. My sexuality, I felt, had become an open secret, which was fine by me. I'd left enough open to interpretation that suspicions were gaining momentum."
In a 2002 interview with the Scotsman newspaper, Amaechi had this to say about the subject of gays in the NBA: "If you look at our league, minorities aren't very well represented. There's hardly any Hispanic players, no Asian-Americans, so that there's no openly gay players is no real surprise. It would be like an alien dropping down from space. There'd be fear, then panic: they just wouldn't know how to handle it."
The book also offers insight into the closed world of professional sports, including Amaechi's spirited and friendly political arguments with Karl Malone, what he called the betrayal of Orlando Magic management, kind words from former Indiana coach Bobby Knight, his regret that he never told Greg Ostertag, "the gentle big man" whom he respected, that he was gay when Ostertag asked him while they played together in Utah, his respect for then-Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy, and his lack of respect for Jazz coach Jerry Sloan.
"Unbeknownst to me at the time," Amaechi wrote, "Sloan had used some anti-gay innuendo to describe me. It was confirmed via e-mails from friends who worked in high-level front-office jobs with the Jazz."
On the court, Amaechi played in 301 games over five seasons, ending in 2003 with the Utah Jazz. His best seasons were in 1999-2000 and 2000-2001 when he started 89 games for the Orlando Magic. His career high for points came in a 2000 game against Denver, when he scored 31.
While the book gives a glimpse into the life of the first openly gay former NBA player, it more importantly paints a picture of a man whose dedication to philanthropy once led him to turn down a $17 million contract with the Los Angeles Lakers. It was for his philanthropic work and motivational-speaking endeavors that he was a 2006 recipient of the Penn State Alumni Achievement Award.
Amaechi, listed on the website 100 Great Black Britons, now runs the ABC Foundation (http://www.meech.org/), designed "to get kids playing sports," according to his website. "The ABC Foundation aims to increase participation in physical activity and holistic support services by building affordable, quality facilities and making expert coaches, respected mentors and educators available to all young people." The foundation's first sports center was built in Manchester, England, close to his childhood home of Stockport.
Amaechi embraces his position as role model for kids with as much vigor as so many professional athletes try to distance themselves from it.
"It would be nice to one day see one of these kids play in the NBA," Amaechi wrote. "But that's not what gets me up in the morning. It's a chance to change the culture, at least for a few kids."
Amaechi also owns Animus Consulting (http://www.animus-consulting.com/). The company, according to its Web site, offers a "range of programs … tailored to inspire, motivate, challenge and entertain in the pursuit of individual and group development - in a way that directly impacts the bottom line."
Said Boyd of Amaechi's coming out: "Hopefully it will be an inspiration to people who are hetero-identified to be more tolerant and to not assume that all 10 players on a given court have sex the same way they have sex."

SilK
Feb 7th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Is that just an ok picture of him, or is he sorta sexy? :hehehe:

Cam'ron Giles
Feb 7th, 2007, 02:16 PM
More like HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cam'ron Giles
Feb 7th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Oh and Silk...back up...I got this...:armed:

SilK
Feb 7th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Oh and Silk...back up...I got this...:armed:

What? Boy... you think you can take on me? I'll give you all sorts of ass-whooping. Bring it! :boxing:

Cam'ron Giles
Feb 7th, 2007, 02:31 PM
What? Boy... you think you can take on me? I'll give you all sorts of ass-whooping. Bring it! :boxing:

Ok homie...hows about we share him? :couple: :umbrella: :inlove:

Cam'ron Giles
Feb 7th, 2007, 02:42 PM
http://www.meech.org/video.htm

SilK
Feb 7th, 2007, 02:51 PM
that's alllright with me. :D
http://www.meech.org/video.htm
6'9 :hearts: :drool:

eugreene2
Feb 7th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I probably shouldn't interupt this two-some but who cares about this guy coming out. Stop the presses when Chris Webber finally announces his (ahem) bi-sexuality. Amaechi is average with bad teeth.

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 7th, 2007, 02:56 PM
I don't know how he didn't know Jerry Sloan didn't take kindly to even a hint of homosexuality on his team.
We're talking about a coach whose been in the NBA for almost 20 years and never had 5 black starters on his team.
Most of that is due to John Stockton who didn't know what a day off was.
I enjoyed him bringing ths short shorts into the 21st century on his own, he was the last NBA to wear them.
But with him gone for 4 years now, it's starting to look a little iffy.

Cam'ron Giles
Feb 7th, 2007, 02:59 PM
I probably shouldn't interupt this two-some but who cares about this guy coming out. Stop the presses when Chris Webber finally announces his (ahem) bi-sexuality. Amaechi is average with bad teeth.

:eek: where did you hear that? :eek:

Wigglytuff
Feb 7th, 2007, 03:10 PM
wow this is VERY interesting.

ahem!!! CAM dont make me have to get violent on you. cant visit you if i donts know where you be living. hint hint.

my days off are friday and saturnday.

pm me or email me with all your info. i have to go before i am late to work...again...this week. :o :o :o

alfonsojose
Feb 7th, 2007, 03:18 PM
bottom or top? a great bottom to me ;)

roarke
Feb 7th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Why does he have to announce his sexual preference to the world. Isn't that his private business. Who wants to know whether he is gay or not, who cares! He needs to keep that info to himself! What's with this "coming out" business anyway? Why do gay people feel they have to "come out"? Why don't they just go on their merry way and live the life they want and not announce it to all and sundry?

skanky~skanketta
Feb 7th, 2007, 03:34 PM
figurs that when a hot guy like this comes out of the closet all the gay bitches on wtaworld would end up fighting for him. i swear, there's gonna be nothing left for the straight girls here. i was glad when that fugly as hell ted haggard announced he was gay, but he's come back to straight-hood so ugh.

ugh!

skanky~skanketta
Feb 7th, 2007, 03:36 PM
well, he is half brit.

Martian KC
Feb 7th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Wow, they do exist...................................

eugreene2
Feb 7th, 2007, 05:30 PM
:eek: where did you hear that? :eek:

I've already said too much!

LoveFifteen
Feb 7th, 2007, 05:34 PM

He can be the "man in the middle"! :drool: :drool: :drool:

LoveFifteen
Feb 7th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Why does he have to announce his sexual preference to the world. Isn't that his private business. Who wants to know whether he is gay or not, who cares! He needs to keep that info to himself! What's with this "coming out" business anyway? Why do gay people feel they have to "come out"? Why don't they just go on their merry way and live the life they want and not announce it to all and sundry?

Spoken like a true heterosexual idiot.

lizchris
Feb 7th, 2007, 05:52 PM
I am still waiting for that NJ Nets player to come out.:confused:

Cam'ron Giles
Feb 7th, 2007, 06:09 PM
He can be the "man in the middle"! :drool: :drool: :drool:

:drool:

miffedmax
Feb 7th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Uh, coming out is part of "going your merry way."

There's nothing "merry" about being not being able to be yourself around your family and friends.

miffedmax
Feb 7th, 2007, 07:05 PM
figurs that when a hot guy like this comes out of the closet all the gay bitches on wtaworld would end up fighting for him. i swear, there's gonna be nothing left for the straight girls here. i was glad when that fugly as hell ted haggard announced he was gay, but he's come back to straight-hood so ugh.

ugh!

Oh yeah. Three weeks and he's now really, truly straight.

Is he still a meth-head?

wta_zuperfann
Feb 7th, 2007, 10:37 PM
When Nicole Oldhe of the WNBA Minnesota Lynx came out nobody made a big deal out of it. She simply answered matter-of-factly that she is gay. It's time for the news media to stop pretending that one's lifestyle preference is a big deal. Each person should be treated with the same respect and dignity regardless of lifestyle. The sports world is and should always be a diversified community just as the fan base is.

Now, as for Jerry Sloan -- if he had a hand in diminishing John Amaechi's career in any way, it should be investigated by the NBA and dealt with swiftly and with severity.

MrSerenaWilliams
Feb 7th, 2007, 11:23 PM

Because sports society is dominated by the facade of the machismo of the straight male. His coming out is a beacon to all gay and bi-sexual athletes to let them know that you can be successful, and hopefully not have to hide who you are! :worship:

btw....:drool: and If you wanna fight over it :boxing::armed: bring it on, but for an accent like that, I'm ready to get down and dirty :lol:

RatedR Superstar
Feb 8th, 2007, 12:32 AM
When Nicole Oldhe of the WNBA Minnesota Lynx came out nobody made a big deal out of it. She simply answered matter-of-factly that she is gay. It's time for the news media to stop pretending that one's lifestyle preference is a big deal. Each person should be treated with the same respect and dignity regardless of lifestyle. The sports world is and should always be a diversified community just as the fan base is.

Now, as for Jerry Sloan -- if he had a hand in diminishing John Amaechi's career in any way, it should be investigated by the NBA and dealt with swiftly and with severity.

the truth is, John eneded his own career, he had a chance to sign with the Lakers back then, the lakers are offering him big money and all he has to do is play the back up roll for Shaq, he's already playing as a reserve in orlando, but John decided to stay with orlando because he said he is loyal to the franchise..the orlando however, wasnt loyal to him as the magics traded him to utah, and with his passion-less style of play, he wont get any playing time under jerry sloan..

RatedR Superstar
Feb 8th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Another ex-athlete comes out? Not impressed
By LZ Granderson
Page 2

I am so over gay people.

Specifically, John Amaechi.

Not him personally -- I hear he's a delightful guy -- but gay people like him.

You know, the athlete who comes out after retiring, writes a tell-all, and then hears how courageous he is from straight columnists trying to appear "evolved" even though I've heard the word "f-----" come out of their mouths just as freely as some of the athletes they write about. I'm over it because we've all been here before. Like a remake of "Groundhog Day" featuring the cast of "Will and Grace," the country works itself up into a frenzy any time the subject comes up, true or false. Amaechi comes out ("Gasp, there's a pro gay athlete!") or Mike Piazza holds a 2002 news conference ("I'm not gay"), or the suggestive Snickers commercial airs, and then we go back to our same routine until another "courageous" soul comes out when he feels has nothing to lose.

I do not mean to belittle Amaechi's experience or the experiences of any other athlete who comes out after retirement. I am friends with gay, former pro athletes and look forward to reading Amaechi's book (to be published by ESPN Books). But I can't help but wonder: When will somebody simply man up? That is, come out while he is still playing and finally demystify this whole gay athlete thing once and for all.

I've read the magazines.

I've seen the interviews.

Hell, I've written the stories.

Closeted athletes are miserable.

They have thoughts of suicide, they can't perform as well as they'd like, they live in constant anxiety of being found out, and while their heterosexual teammates are out chasing skirts during road trips, they stay locked up in their hotel rooms afraid to make eye contact with anyone because the bellhop's gaydar may go off.

Get over it.

An athlete in 2007 who stays in the closet during his playing days does more to support homophobia in sports than coming out after retirement does to combat it.

But what I am suggesting is that by not living the truth you are supporting the lie. The lie that gay men are inherently weaker than straight men. We can go in circles about whether homosexuality is a sin, but that's not what this argument is about. It's about whether a gay athlete can perform on the field or on the court at the same level of excellence and intensity as a straight athlete. I've talked to a lot athletes over the years about having a gay teammate, and their top objection is they believe a gay dude won't be able to pull his own weight. The whole shower thing is a close second.

Tracy McGrady was a former teammate of Amaechi's in Orlando. "I"m the type of dude who don't give a f---" says McGrady. "I don't care what you are as long as you're doing what you're supposed to be doing on the court. You could be the most flaming (guy) on earth and answer to boyfriend and kiss him after the game as long as you don't try it with me. I just want to win. And that's how I am. To each his own, be yourself, and be proud of it. Everything else is just a bunch of crap."

I agree with T-Mac. Everything else is a bunch of crap. That's why I say it's time to man up. Life as an openly gay man cannot be any worse than life as a closeted one at this point. Look around, whatever endorsements you might lose for being gay you will be able to make up from other companies looking for buzz. High school athletes are out and changing lives. Isaiah Washington of "Grey's Anatomy" had to go into rehab to keep his job after directing an anti-gay slur at a co-worker. Twenty years ago, it would have been the co-worker worried about his job. This isn't "Gaytopia," but the movie studios aren't forcing you to marry a woman like they did in the old days.

And don't hand me the it's-harder-in-sports crap, either. I've been an out sportswriter for years now. I've been on TV, had my face in one of the largest newspapers in the country and my mug is sitting right next to this column. I've been called names in work meetings, received death threats and told I was going to hell more times than the devil. But you know what, I don't give a rip. Because at the end of the day I know walking within what I know is true for me is a lot easier than trying to run from it. Just ask Jim McGreevy. Or Mark Foley. Or Ted Haggard, who appears to still be running.

Better yet, why don't you ask yourself. You have worked extremely hard to become a professional athlete. You are young, rich and famous-ish. This is supposed to be the best time of your life. Isn't it about time you have the courage to try to enjoy it?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=granderson/070207

IndieBoi
Feb 8th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Raptors coach comments on Amaechi

http://www.thestar.com/Article/179358

Mitchell believes gay players in the NBA may experience difficulties in the locker-room because of the young age of the players.

"It wouldn't bother me, but I'm 43 years old, I've been through a lot of things, seen lot of things," said Mitchell. "I just think when you look at sports and you look at the age, maybe you wouldn't have enough guys with the level of maturity to understand . . . the struggle going on within someone who's not living the life that they're comfortable with.

"That's got to be his own special torment that you're not comfortable being who you are, and not having people with the level of maturity to deal with that."

Mitchell was asked whether he believes tolerance increases with age.

"It shouldn't be about tolerance, it should be about respect, treating people as human beings," said Mitchell. "I don't like the word tolerance. Are you supposed to tolerate me because I'm black, or are people supposed to treat me with respect because I'm a human being?"

Mitchell played against Amaechi in all four seasons Amaechi was in the league, and the Raptors coach wished him well Wednesday.

"I hope John's happy, I hope his announcement gives him a level of freedom and comfort," said Mitchell. "I hope he's happy.

"Everybody lives their life, I try to adhere to what the bible says, try to treat everybody with respect and compassion and humanity, and don't judge unless you're willing to be judged, and hope everybody is happy."

MrSerenaWilliams
Feb 8th, 2007, 07:23 AM
:worship: 2 GREAT articles :yeah:

roarke
Feb 8th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Spoken like a true heterosexual idiot.

If like you all say you want acceptance and to become main stream then stop setting yourselves apart by having these coming out moments....... Be who you are live your life as you see fit, no need "to keep making these grand announcements.... What is the purpose of this "coming out", is it to make yourselves feel better..... Why do you all need to know what another person does in his or her bedroom... unless you are there...! If you want a sense of community then join a club or support group....but heck... keep your business private. It doesn't mean you are ashamed of who you are it just means there are certain issues that should remain private... Notice I said private but not secretive. Tell those who really need to know or cares to know but save the rest of us from these big useless announcement.
How does it benefit you as a gay person to know somebody who you may never meet in your life time is gay? There are no benefits to these announcements!

By the way... idiot she/him (shim) ...... Your sex life should be private. This should be on a need to know basis.... your family and your lovers only, please!

Cam'ron Giles
Feb 8th, 2007, 05:36 PM
If like you all say you want acceptance and to become main stream then stop setting yourselves apart by having these coming out moments....... Be who you are live your life as you see fit, no need "to keep making these grand announcements.... What is the purpose of this "coming out", is it to make yourselves feel better..... Why do you all need to know what another person does in his or her bedroom... unless you are there...! If you want a sense of community then join a club or support group....but heck... keep your business private. It doesn't mean you are ashamed of who you are it just means there are certain issues that should remain private... Notice I said private but not secretive. Tell those who really need to know or cares to know but save the rest of us from these big useless announcement.
How does it benefit you as a gay person to know somebody who you may never meet in your life time is gay? There are no benefits to these announcements!

By the way... idiot she/him (shim) ...... Your sex life should be private. This should be on a need to know basis.... your family and your lovers only, please!

How about setting an example for countless young people who are suffering with their "secret" and feeling isolated? How about letting people know that gay men comes from all walks of life and and are involved in many things and are not always what society think we are?

Cam'ron Giles
Feb 8th, 2007, 05:37 PM
BTW, why do you keep talking about sex life? What does that really have to do with being gay?

gotthebend
Feb 8th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Well, I don't think so. As he said in his announcement, he feels that his coming-out story can help other gay athletes in a way see "male" gay atheletes do exist. Besides, he was an NBA player, a gay person in the macho-est sport league! Btw, why does revealing his sexuality has to do with "what he does in his bedroom?" Will you come up with this idea if he is straight? Andrew Sullivan says that being gay means his entire life has to do with this identity. IMO, being gay doesn't only mean sex life or what a gay does in his bedroom. :rolleyes:

trivfun
Feb 8th, 2007, 07:54 PM
I always suspected Jerry Sloan for being that way and his former coach, Dick Motta. I have heard the same thing about Bobby Knight as well. I think he respected John for his character and toughness. The school he went to Penn State has the most openly homophobic in Renee Portland who coaches the women's basketball team. Renee was friends with Bobby Knight.

I suspect is a Jerry is a closet case.

NyCPsU
Feb 8th, 2007, 11:42 PM
this was big news here at penn st since he played for them in college
under this story in our school newspaper was one about our women's basketball head coach and her ongoing "homophobic" actions as coach

generally people here (mostly hicks) acted like shocked and ashamed by the news
hicks are such disgusting people and this campus is crawling with them :rolleyes:

SelesFan70
Feb 8th, 2007, 11:44 PM
More like HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like FIYAH! :drool:

trivfun
Feb 9th, 2007, 06:00 PM
this was big news here at penn st since he played for them in college
under this story in our school newspaper was one about our women's basketball head coach and her ongoing "homophobic" actions as coach

generally people here (mostly hicks) acted like shocked and ashamed by the news
hicks are such disgusting people and this campus is crawling with them :rolleyes:

City people are homophobic as well except they know how to charm up and have a gay friend for their quotas. THe NBA and other professional sports are played in cities. Talk about taunts.

Somebody ask about Jerry Sloan why he didn't have many black players for the Jazz. Jerry likes players that he can control. He got rid of a lot of white players as well. When he coached the Bulls, his teams were mostly black but were passive like Artis Gilmore who didn't fight back. He did like some rebellious players so that he can set an example to his team like Chris Morris.

However there was one player that busted his balls and that was Reggie Theus. Thing was, Reggie wasn't trying to be this way. He simply was.

Jerry and Reggie did not hit it off. He thought Reggie was soft and not a good defensive player. He tried to rough him up but Reggie would could take it even though he looked soft, he was tough. He just wasn't going to be a good defensive player compared to his offense.

Jerry tried the homophobic tactics but that didn't work because the women of Chicago including the Klansmen's wives were enamored over his looks. The team and Jerry hated him because whether they won or lost (at that time, they lost a lot), the media didn't care because they always wrote about Reggie and his looks because they sold more papers; who read them, the ladies of course (probably the late Bobbie Sloan as well :lol: ). I know Michael Jordan is popular because he won but Reggie is still popular because he just had it without trying.

This drove Jerry to the edge and was fired at the beginning the 1981-1982 season. It would be another 6 years, he would get a job at Utah. Basically, he made it the John Stockton and Karl Malone show. Adding a shooter in Jeff Hornacek. Now without those guys, he is 45 wins coach.

samsung101
Feb 9th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Why does he announce it?

To sell his book, which is due next week.

It will be an Oprah or 60 Minutes moment any time now.

Good for him. Have a nice life.

Why drag down others in the book to help sell it, when they
can't say much in response.

Karl Malone never had any problem in Utah, nor do the
many Polynesian athletes and converts who move to Utah,
go to BYU, Utah, Utah State, etc. Nor do the thousands of
Latinos who are converting to Mormonism, and moving to
Utah (yes, there are a lot of them).

Stockton, Sloan, Malone, those are some pretty hard nosed,
machine like guys on the court. I don't think any of them
won any popularity contests w/other teams or other cities.

SLC isn't that bad. A liberal would be treated better in SLC
than a conservative would be in Berkeley or San Francisco.

If this guy had bad experiences, that's his story.

But, Sloan isn't known as Mr. Warm and Fuzzy, then or now.
That's not his style.

CooCooCachoo
Feb 9th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Why does this organization still exist? It should be banned and its followers should be sanctioned.

trivfun
Feb 9th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Why does he announce it?

To sell his book, which is due next week.

It will be an Oprah or 60 Minutes moment any time now.

Good for him. Have a nice life.

Why drag down others in the book to help sell it, when they
can't say much in response.

Karl Malone never had any problem in Utah, nor do the
many Polynesian athletes and converts who move to Utah,
go to BYU, Utah, Utah State, etc. Nor do the thousands of
Latinos who are converting to Mormonism, and moving to
Utah (yes, there are a lot of them).

Stockton, Sloan, Malone, those are some pretty hard nosed,
machine like guys on the court. I don't think any of them
won any popularity contests w/other teams or other cities.

SLC isn't that bad. A liberal would be treated better in SLC
than a conservative would be in Berkeley or San Francisco.

If this guy had bad experiences, that's his story.

But, Sloan isn't known as Mr. Warm and Fuzzy, then or now.
That's not his style.

Jerry Sloan like all NBA players masquerading a tough guy, he had a baby side as well. Why because no matter how tough and rough you are. you have to be able to ride somebody's dick. In the case of Jerry, it was Jerry Krause and Rod Thorn. If you were a real man, the NBA will not take you in, if you can't be controlled.

Oh, Jerry cried like a baby when he was fired in mid-season in 1981-1982. "Look how much I did for Chicago, bull and his jealousy of Reggie Theus." Complaining and bullying refs. His reluctance to accept Michael Jordan's legacy until Jerry Krause did the same thing to him by firing him. Maybe Amechi was trying to have his own way by being out but then so was Jerry Sloan just like everybody else. I don't understand his homophobic stuff, in the end, you will just take it up the butt like everybody else straight or otherwise.

Monica_Rules
Feb 10th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Good for him. More men and women in sport should come out and show that sexuality doesn't matter even in sport.

meyerpl
Feb 10th, 2007, 12:39 AM
I guess this means he really does go for the rim.

trivfun
Feb 10th, 2007, 02:48 AM
I guess this means he really does go for the rim.

or likes contact and taking charges!

KYLIE
Feb 10th, 2007, 05:17 AM
Hes a bottom *lick* cant wait to get him alone in my bed!~

mckyle.
Feb 10th, 2007, 06:22 AM
responding to the idiot that doesn't like gays coming out:

we pretty much have to announce it to the word because for some strange reason straight people are so captivated when they see someone who is not like them. in my situation i felt very pressured and i was tired of people always asking me, so i just announced it. if i had the choice, i would rather live my life and not have to make something as menial as sexuality the most interesting thing about me. it amuses me how when we are born we are all just expected to be straight. why should i have to come out? it really is a burden for all gay people. i am glad that the world is on its way to not being so ignorant and i sincerely think that one of these days no one will have to come out and everyone can just do whatever they please without letting the whole world know about it.

RatedR Superstar
Feb 10th, 2007, 07:45 AM
City people are homophobic as well except they know how to charm up and have a gay friend for their quotas. THe NBA and other professional sports are played in cities. Talk about taunts.

Somebody ask about Jerry Sloan why he didn't have many black players for the Jazz. Jerry likes players that he can control. He got rid of a lot of white players as well. When he coached the Bulls, his teams were mostly black but were passive like Artis Gilmore who didn't fight back. He did like some rebellious players so that he can set an example to his team like Chris Morris.

However there was one player that busted his balls and that was Reggie Theus. Thing was, Reggie wasn't trying to be this way. He simply was.

Jerry and Reggie did not hit it off. He thought Reggie was soft and not a good defensive player. He tried to rough him up but Reggie would could take it even though he looked soft, he was tough. He just wasn't going to be a good defensive player compared to his offense.

Jerry tried the homophobic tactics but that didn't work because the women of Chicago including the Klansmen's wives were enamored over his looks. The team and Jerry hated him because whether they won or lost (at that time, they lost a lot), the media didn't care because they always wrote about Reggie and his looks because they sold more papers; who read them, the ladies of course (probably the late Bobbie Sloan as well :lol: ). I know Michael Jordan is popular because he won but Reggie is still popular because he just had it without trying.

This drove Jerry to the edge and was fired at the beginning the 1981-1982 season. It would be another 6 years, he would get a job at Utah. Basically, he made it the John Stockton and Karl Malone show. Adding a shooter in Jeff Hornacek. Now without those guys, he is 45 wins coach.

the jazz are 32-17 right now with young players, give them 2 more years, and they will be a dominant team

harloo
Feb 10th, 2007, 11:49 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=granderson/070207

And don't hand me the it's-harder-in-sports crap, either. I've been an out sportswriter for years now.

:rolleyes:

How can you compare being an out sports writer to an out player in the NBA? The atmosphere is extremly different especially dealing with the homophobic attitudes of fellow NBA players. However, I'm not totally convinced Amaechi's coming out NOW has anything more to do with his upcoming book. After he officially retired in 2003 an announcement would of least solidifed his sincerity in reaching other sport figures struggling with their sexuality. Now it seems like a good angle to sale his book.

trivfun
Feb 10th, 2007, 04:07 PM
:rolleyes:

How can you compare being an out sports writer to an out player in the NBA? The atmosphere is extremly different especially dealing with the homophobic attitudes of fellow NBA players. However, I'm not totally convinced Amaechi's coming out NOW has anything more to do with his upcoming book. After he officially retired in 2003 an announcement would of least solidifed his sincerity in reaching other sport figures struggling with their sexuality. Now it seems like a good angle to sale his book.

So what if he is going to make money off of it. Even good ole Lz does it, yet criticizes John for it.

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 15th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Tim Hardaway is a fucking tool. Loser.

G1Player2
Feb 15th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Tim Hardaway is a fucking tool. Loser.

Is that the guy with those homophobic remarks saying he, and I quote, "hates gays?" Wow. You can't get away with those comments in today's day and age. What an idiot. Keep it to yourself.

WhatTheDeuce
Feb 15th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Is that the guy with those homophobic remarks saying he, and I quote, "hates gays?" Wow. You can't get away with those comments in today's day and age. What an idiot. Keep it to yourself.
Yeah thats him.

I just found out about this today. I'm happy for John and I'm really pleased to hear that most of the player reactions are cool. But some ppl are fucking dumbfucks. Makes me so fucking mad.

And as for his looks, I dont think he's attractive at all LOL. He didnt play the game with much grace/fluidity either. But to each their own.