PDA

View Full Version : Need a new computer!

BigB08822
Feb 7th, 2007, 01:10 PM
First of all, while I consider myself quite educated on how to use the internet, I consider myself a complete idiot when it comes to computers in general.

My computer as of late is absolutely a nightmare. It takes forever to complete the smallest tasks and this is only using it for the internet. I would hate to see what would happen if I tried to open up Word or another program.

About 7 months ago it broke down and I had the motherboard replaced but now it is going down, slowly this time! I'd rather it just crash, honestly. So I have been putting up with it and now I have had enough. It must be replaced. The thing is, I have NO clue what to get or look for. To be honest, I don't trust anyone in the stores because I feel they try to sell you the more expensive models or ones with things I do not need.

Can anyone recommend a direction to go in? A name brand to get or not to get? I am pretty sure I am going with a desktop for two reasons. One is because I do not like typing on laptops, always have a hard time using the small keyboard and weird mousepad thing. Two, PRICE! I would probably be looking to pay nearly twice as much for a good laptop as opposed to a good desktop.

Basically, I need your basic computer and as I said, I use it mainly for the internet. I do collect a lot of videos and music but other than that, I only need the basic programs such as Word, calculator, etc. They seem to be standard on every computer.

Any recommendations would be welcome, tell me what you use or have used and how it worked for you. Thanks!

LefandePatty
Feb 7th, 2007, 01:13 PM
You have a great life.

Lord Nelson
Feb 7th, 2007, 01:16 PM
You have a great life.

:lol:

BigB08822
Feb 7th, 2007, 01:24 PM
You have a great life.

Yes, I do. You obviously have no life if you have so much time to go around and respond to serious threads with such stupid remarks.

ToeTag
Feb 8th, 2007, 04:30 AM
Get a Dell.

Scotso
Feb 8th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Get a Dell.

Yeah, just get the very cheapest Dell. It's more than enough for the internet and music.

Scotso
Feb 8th, 2007, 05:15 AM
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_e521?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

SSA
Feb 8th, 2007, 07:57 AM
I would honestly stay away from Dell only in the respect that at least on their cheaper machines they have tended to put proprietary power supplies on the machine. I know some will point out that most of the high end machines use standard PSUs, but I still see relatively new machines with non-standard PSUs. If Dell has discontinued the practice it has only been in the last year or two. I know Scott Mueller, author of Upgrading and Repairing PCs, still mentioned this in his latest edition (17th edition from 2006), so I don't think it is an entirely dead issue. It is easier just to stay away from Dell, than to deal with the possibly of having to deal with a proprietary PSU and motherboard break down on you. Your cheap Dell will wouldn't be cheap at all if it breaks. Instead it will become a rather expensive machine that you will either waste money buying an overpriced PSU or motherboard or force you spend hundreds of dollars to buy a new computer. Only idiots looks at intial cost other we would all be driving Yugos under the argument that they are cheap, so who cares if they break. The wise shopper looks at total cost of ownership. The problem with technology is so many people underestimate the quality differences between the no name brand and the name brand that creates quality items.

See Muellers' article for more info on the PSU issue:

http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=339053&rl=1

Add in Dell so-so service reputation and you may be better serviced by going with another vendor. If you are going to buy a prefab computer go with a company with good service. If you want good service go with Apple or Lenovo (formerly IBM's computer division). Both have consistently topped service approval surveys.
If you are really so educated I would go over to Amazon, buy Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs. Thumb thru that book and you can build your own machine. The advantage of BYO is that you can call the manufactor of the components instead of calling Dell or some other company that built none of the components or any of the software. Why would they know more about the product than the manufactor of the component? That and the warranties are longer. Buy a Seagate HDD and get a warranty for 5 years from production date. Buy a Viewsonic monitor and get three years coverage standard. Buy and Dell and you can get one year of cruddy service standard unless you buy an extended warranty. For obvious reasons those that buy service plans get better service, buy after you buy the service plan it would cheaper to BYO unless your time is worth a lot to you (attorney, doctor, etc.)

PamShriverRockz
Feb 8th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Get a Mac!!

Moving from the darkside ;) was one of the best decisions I ever made.

controlfreak
Feb 8th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Sounds like you are not exactly a power user, why don't you get a OLPC (one laptop per child) computer? It only costs $200 which buys one for yourself and one for a third world child so they can grow up to become a famous Nigerian spammer. Oh wait, you said you wanted a desktop. And they aren't even selling them yet. Do you like green?

http://www.laptop.org/img/specs_dimensions_thumb.jpg
www.laptop.org