PDA

View Full Version : Brandy Norwood Fatal Crash: $50 Million Lawsuit May be Tossed

Cam'ron Giles
Feb 6th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Brandy Norwood Fatal Crash: $50 Million Lawsuit May be Tossed

By Lynda Johnson
Feb 5, 2007
Brandy Norwood was involved in a fatal crash that killed a woman named Awatef Aboudihaj on December 30. After the story broke, her parents filed an astounding $50 million lawsuit against the R&B singer. But AOL Entertainment website TMZ.Com is reporting that it has learned the case may be tossed. The reason, the parents don't have a legal right to file the case in the state of California.
http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/uploads/brandy_car_crash_003.jpgBrandy Norwood Fatal Crash: $50 Million Lawsuit May be Tossed
TMZ does the legal legwork and reports that Aboudihaj was married with two children and under California law, only the husband, not the parents, can sue for wrongful death The web site has leaned that the parents' lawsuit was filed without consulting the husband beforehand. Even more interesting, Aboudihaj has been living in the United States for 11 years. Her parents have been living in Morocco full-time, so contact between parents and daughter was minimal. Aboudihaj's parents could file suit if they were financially dependent on her, but we're told that was not the case.
This does not mean that Brandy is off the hook. She will likely be sued by the husband for damages. TMZ adds on that angle that it has learned the husband is being represented by Los Angeles attorney Bill Sayed.
Sayed tells TMZ he is currently investigating Brandy's net worth and says the matter "will be resolved by settlement or jury verdict." Sayed would not say how much money he'll be demanding, but said it will probably be a combination of Brandy's insurance policy limit -- plus something additional from Brandy herself.
Brandy, 27, was driving a Land Rover on the San Diego (405) Freeway when traffic slowed and her vehicle struck the back of Honda driven by the 38-year old Awatef Aboudihaj according to a CHP report.
The California Highway Patrol has recommended that Brandy be charged with misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter.

Lord Nelson
Feb 6th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Don't worry, the husband will file suit. He would get the money. Stars rarely go to prison so she may as well cough up some dough.

tucker1989
Feb 6th, 2007, 10:38 PM
I actually read in an article in People magazine the husband said "Being angry at Brandy is not going to bring my wife back. This could have happened to anybody." So maybe he won't sue.

jenny161185
Feb 6th, 2007, 11:28 PM
interesting, I wonder how much she is worth, doubt it would be €50 million!!!

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 6th, 2007, 11:40 PM
I love ya Brandy...but enough with tweesin your eyebrows like the Golden Arches :hehehe:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Feb 7th, 2007, 12:27 AM
I love ya Brandy...but enough with tweesin your eyebrows like the Golden Arches :hehehe:

That is a really old picture, I'm thinking from like '98 or '99

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 7th, 2007, 12:53 AM
That is a really old picture, I'm thinking from like '98 or '99

THANK GOD! :bowdown:

Becool
Feb 7th, 2007, 01:13 AM
she's done..
she'll end like mchammer... bankrupt

harloo
Feb 7th, 2007, 01:16 AM
she's done..
she'll end like mchammer... bankrupt

Did you even read the article?

BigB08822
Feb 7th, 2007, 02:15 AM
I think he should sue but only as a legal matter. I realize it was an accident but if his wife was working he may have depended on her income and especially if they wanted to save anything for the child. I see nothing wrong with asking for whatever to help the family get by and have the child an education fund or whatnot set up. 50 million is rediculous though and should be thrown out just for that, being STUPID!

Lord Nelson
Feb 7th, 2007, 11:57 AM
I jst read an article on the accident. She was indirectly responsible for the woman's death. Check out what happened.

On December 30, 2006, at 10:30 a.m., Brandy struck another vehicle from behind on a Los Angeles freeway while driving her 2007 Land Rover, causing a chain reaction involving a total of four vehicles, including hers. The car she hit, a 2005 Toyota Corolla, hit another car, and then crossed into oncoming traffic, where it was struck by the fourth vehicle. The driver of the Toyota, 38-year-old Awatef Aboudihaj, a married mother of two, was taken to Holy Cross Hospital in critical condition and died the next day. Brandy was not injured and was not arrested, and there is no evidence that drugs or alcohol were involved.

Rocketta
Feb 8th, 2007, 12:16 AM
I think he should sue but only as a legal matter. I realize it was an accident but if his wife was working he may have depended on her income and especially if they wanted to save anything for the child. I see nothing wrong with asking for whatever to help the family get by and have the child an education fund or whatnot set up. 50 million is rediculous though and should be thrown out just for that, being STUPID!

so does everybody get to sue when their spouse dies by accident? This seems like a situation where no one was at fault, it just happened. It's quite sad that her kids lost a mom and her husband lost a wife but that is not a unique situation. People lose mothers and wives everyday and they manage to go on financially. It's one thing if she was wreckless and caused the accident but this was a series of unfortunate events. Also, if a law suit does proceed I'm pretty sure everyone who was involved in the accident will have to participate in the trial. I'm also sure that Brandy's lawyer will try to throw the blame on the 2nd car who hit her or the car that hit her and killed her.

Frankly, anything above the medical, amount of car and funeral expenses is too much to me. Maybe, college funds for the kids but anything else would be trying to profit from her death. Also, if she was working she should've had life insurance and if she was paying in a pension plan, they will pay out to the family. The children will get SS Survivor's benefit for their mom until they're 18 (depending if they are citizens I guess).