PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible for an Ipod to break from the cold?

Paldias
Feb 6th, 2007, 09:47 AM
I was outside a couple of days ago with my Ipod and it was about -30 degrees celcius and it stopped working. Ever since then I haven't been able to turn it on/work it etc.

Is it possible that the cold did this?

Andy_
Feb 6th, 2007, 10:05 AM
I was outside a couple of days ago with my Ipod and it was about -30 degrees celcius and it stopped working. Ever since then I haven't been able to turn it on/work it etc.

Just making an assumption, here, but... -30°C might indeed be a little too much for the battery...

I'll quote from the safety manual:

Keeping iPod within acceptable temperatures
Operate iPod in a place where the
temperature is always between 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F). iPod play time might temporarily shorten in low-temperature conditions.

Wigglytuff
Feb 6th, 2007, 12:41 PM
the manual will tell you what the max and min operating temperatures are.

PamShriverRockz
Feb 6th, 2007, 06:49 PM
iPods don't like extreme cold or extreme hot unfortunately!

kabuki
Feb 6th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Happened to a friend of mine, in only 20deg F. They're sensitive.

Personally, I'd like to know where you live that it gets to -30C. :haha:

Martian KC
Feb 6th, 2007, 10:20 PM
My ipod survived a 18 degree F night, but -30C?:scared:

Stamp Paid
Feb 6th, 2007, 11:23 PM
The cold killed mine last week too. :(

¤CharlDa¤
Feb 6th, 2007, 11:59 PM
It's like -30 every single fricking day here since like 1 week. What do they expect me to do, stop listening to my ipod? I mean it's always in my pocket anyways, but still.

I had some trouble with the earphones. They actually froze and the sounds is shaky since then.

jbone_0307
Feb 7th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Does anybody's battery power suck?? The maual says 14 hours of music playback and 6 hours of video, but my battery almost died on a 6-7 hour trip!!!

¤CharlDa¤
Feb 7th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Oh my battery does the same. It's out of the charger and it tells me it's empty. And then I open it again and it like at one quarter, then 2 mins later at 3 quarters. Really weird.

jbone_0307
Feb 7th, 2007, 12:11 AM
I don't understand the purpose of have 30 GB of songs and videos if you aren't able to go through atleast half of it. I only have like 200 songs and the battery power wouldn't last through those songs, so there isn't a purpose if you can listen to the media within one setting. I'm seriously thinking about returning it because of its battery life.

~Eclipsed~
Feb 7th, 2007, 12:20 AM
When i went to the gym today i put it in my pocket and also held onto it with my hand for extra warmth. Last week the sensors stopped working and i really had to press the buttons hard to get it to work. It's fine and it survived the 0 degree F weather from today.

Mine is a nano too so i have to be extra careful.:eek:

fnuf7
Feb 7th, 2007, 12:48 AM
My battery is going all over the place at the moment, I think the screen lies to me... One moment it's full, then I skip 2 or 3 songs and it's down to half full and then it plays for a while longer and it's back up to 3/4's full even though it's not been charged at all :shrug: Likewise it seems to work even if it says it has no battery left...

When I do plug it in, it sometimes says it's fully charged immediately after I've plugged it in and then when you unplug it, you find it's actually only got a tiny bit of battery left. :confused:

Monica_Rules
Feb 7th, 2007, 12:54 AM
I have been told by friends that its good to get a 'cover' for the ipod to keep it warm as its not good in the cold.

mirzalover
Feb 7th, 2007, 12:56 AM
My battery is going all over the place at the moment, I think the screen lies to me :aplot: One moment it's full, then I skip 2 or 3 songs and it's down to half full and then it plays for a while longer and it's back up to 3/4's full even though it's not been charged at all :shrug: Likewise it seems to work even if it says it has no battery left...

When I do plug it in, it sometimes says it's fully charged immediately after I've plugged it in and then when you unplug it, you find it's actually only got a tiny bit of battery left. :confused:

I had that same problem and i went to this website and bought a battery for 10 dollars(a changing kit came with it) and it started to work like it did when i first got it. all ipod baterries have a limited charge number so when your battery life starts jumping all over the place its time for a new battery.

fnuf7
Feb 7th, 2007, 01:00 AM
I had that same problem and i went to this website and bought a battery for 10 dollars(a changing kit came with it) and it started to work like it did when i first got it. all ipod baterries have a limited charge number so when your battery life starts jumping all over the place its time for a new battery.

Oooh thanks for the info, could you say what the website was? Cos I think I might try this out :)

mirzalover
Feb 7th, 2007, 01:09 AM
http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/htmlos.cgi/batteryship/catalog.html?item=EC003

mirzalover
Feb 7th, 2007, 01:11 AM
These are the instruction for how to put the battery in the ipod

http://www.ipodminibattery.com/mini_ipod_battery_replacement_instructions.html

No Name Face
Feb 7th, 2007, 05:58 AM

where do you live? jesus christ. -30C? :scared:
i hate cold weather. it's like...2 degrees fahrenheit here.

and yeah, your ipod is probably dead. when it's like...32 degrees (again, fahrenheit) it slows down immensely, so -30 means...death. i'm sure they'll replace the batteries though. :)

Bacardi
Feb 7th, 2007, 06:14 AM
The screen on the IPod is probably what is damaged, anything below freezing temps like that causes the part that makes the display on the screen freeze. I know this because one time I left my cordless phone outside and it stopped working. So I bet what's screwed up is the screen & it's just messed up the rest of it.

Crazy Canuck
Feb 7th, 2007, 06:46 AM
The screen on the IPod is probably what is damaged, anything below freezing temps like that causes the part that makes the display on the screen freeze. I know this because one time I left my cordless phone outside and it stopped working. So I bet what's screwed up is the screen & it's just messed up the rest of it.
Yeah, the LCD can freeze.

Either way, if you're going to call it in, I might neglect to mention the extreme temps bit.

Andy_
Feb 7th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Oh my battery does the same. It's out of the charger and it tells me it's empty. And then I open it again and it like at one quarter, then 2 mins later at 3 quarters. Really weird.

I've experiences the same thing with my old Mini... sadly it's a bad symptom that your battery is about to "die". After a while, mine basically didn't last more than a few minutes after being charged... I'd suggest that you go to the Apple Store closest to you, or where you purchased yours anyway, and ask what they suggest that you do about it. Apple has a battery replacement program, which basically is an i-Pod replacement program. Given the characteristics of the battery, it's more convenient for them giving you another i-Pod for the "price of a new battery" which is however in the range of some 80€ (if I remember correctly).
You can find more info about it on the Apple website :)

Kunal
Feb 7th, 2007, 10:55 AM
i think u are wayy off the manual recommendations

¤CharlDa¤
Feb 7th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Thanks Andy :D I'll look for that!

Andy_
Feb 7th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Thanks Andy :D I'll look for that!

You're welcome CD! And here's a :hug: for you must need some warmth in that -30°C environment :scared:

¤CharlDa¤
Feb 7th, 2007, 03:21 PM
:lol: I do need some hugs indeed. I love my province for everything except the crazy winter streaks we get. I mean at -5, -10, ok, it's decent. But the cold we got in the past few days is just :rolleyes: