PDA

View Full Version : martina hingis's style of game

polly
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:17 AM
i often wondered was that the way she was trained or you either have it or you dont style of game

DOUBLEFIST
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:20 AM
A little of both. She's unique- a very gifted player.

TSequoia01
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:23 AM
I often view Marti's game as a modern day Chris Evertt type of game. A game based on rallies and baseline precision. The modern day power players are based more on Seles' game. Power players of today generate pace off of both wings in addition have big serves. None control the net say like Navrtilova.

franny
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:35 AM
I think a lot of it is natural. I mean, you can't teach court sense. Listen, Martina Hingis simply put is not the fastest player, or the quickest. It seems like she is so quick because she anticipates. She seems to always know where her opponent is going to hit the ball, sometimes even before her opponents hit it. That court sense, of knowing where to be on the court, knowing which way to lean, knowing when to stand back and when to step up, that's natural. Another thing that is natural are her reflexes. Most players need to have great footwork to control where their shots are going. Players like Davenport, Sharapova, Williams, and Clijsters all rely on not only getting to the ball but being quick enough to make the small steps to stay balanced in order to hit the ball. Hingis, somehow it's like she doesn't even need to look at the ball when she's on the run sometimes. She can hit shots that land deep in the corner and on the baseline without having to really be on balance. She can hit shots while off-balanced, and again, that is natural. Those two things, which are so vital to her game, are natural. Other aspects of her game, like the technique on her backhand, her volleys, etc are of course trained and taught by her mother. However, knowing the game and having the touch, that's natural.

jazar
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:38 AM
you cant really teach the court sense she has, that is natural. but her style of play is based around her physique, she isnt big so cant be an all out power hitter, she uses what she has, which is her court sense, very good hands, defensive, etc very well

Mina Vagante
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:40 AM
you cant really teach the court sense she has, that is natural. but her style of play is based around her physique, she isnt big so cant be an all out power hitter, she uses what she has, which is her court sense, very good hands, defensive, etc very well

:yeah:

tennis_pIayer
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:41 AM
SHE CAN LEARN TO GENERATE A LITTLE BIT MORE RACQUET SPEED. but in any case, good win today :)

Wednesday
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Martina is very smart on the court but the game has moved on. I think she can win Tier I titles and if she plays well she can get to Grand Slam SFs but she doesn't have the power to consistantly challenge the top players and reach Grand Slam finals.

Timariot
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Hingis started playing at the age of 2 and played her first tournament when she was four (she lost 0-6 0-6). She spent her junior career playing against players who were nearly always older, faster & stronger. So much of it traces back to those days.

Bruno71
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:55 AM
If Kuznetsova can win a GS then Hingis can win another one. She'll need a light draw (i.e. some luck) but it can be done. I think even with a tough draw she could still win the French if Justine isn't there or not at her best.

polly
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:59 AM
so regarding martina's court sense, is she the greatest ever in this department? But what i cant understand how can she predict whats going to happen, is she really a genius?

louisa2k2
Feb 4th, 2007, 09:23 AM
shes been playing since 2 so years of experience.

polly
Feb 4th, 2007, 09:25 AM
so basically she was 'lucky' to make it only for her mother got her started at 2 years of age

louisa2k2
Feb 4th, 2007, 09:41 AM
I think a combination of experience and talent. she makes it look easy. some people just have a natural skill for things and martina has it for tennis and she is clever she constructs points well and thinks on the court.

Yes in a sense marti is lucky she moved to switzerland when she was 8 and things hadnt been easy for her family so her mum risked a lot on martinas career.

lecciones
Feb 4th, 2007, 09:44 AM
I often view Marti's game as a modern day Chris Evertt type of game. A game based on rallies and baseline precision. The modern day power players are based more on Seles' game. Power players of today generate pace off of both wings in addition have big serves. None control the net say like Navrtilova.

I partly agree. Additionally, Hingis is known to really construct her points and think a lot more than what is usual or common. She has never really won because she over powers her opponents, out thinks is more like what she does.

polly
Feb 4th, 2007, 09:46 AM
its funny to say that martina is good at tennis because there MUST be something that she is useless at whether its singing, to read and write, being artistic, the list goes on and on, you cant be good at everything!:)

Orion
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Her mother (also her coach, and a very good player back in good ol' Czechoslovakia) once said it wasn't because she's a natural or because she is smarter. She's hit more balls than anyone else, starting younger than anyone else, on more shots than anyone else. It's sooo much muscle memory. She'll be able to hit a dropshot from the baseline when she's 80.

Orion
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:04 AM
its funny to say that martina is good at tennis because there MUST be something that she is useless at whether its singing, to read and write, being artistic, the list goes on and on, you cant be good at everything!:)

I don't think I'm following you.

Wayn77
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:11 AM
The ability to turn defense into attack - nobody is better.

Wednesday
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:20 AM
She has a really good drop shot. Her DTL BH is very good also. Her lob is good too.

louisa2k2
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:22 AM
she can hit the lob with such precision well all her shots with precision really.

TonyP
Feb 4th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Its a style based on a number of elements.

Comparing her game to Chris Evert's is not really accurate, because it was often said about Chris that she only came to the net to shake hands.

Hingis has an all court game. She is an expert at the volley and makes that a regular part of her game. She is also an expert at the drop shot, the lob and at the swing volley from no-man's land. In fact, I think she is the best in the world from midcourt. Her transition game, changing from defense to offensive, is remarkable.

As others have noted, she also has almost unmatched anticipation. She is probably better at being where her opponent hits the ball and hitting back where her opponent is not than any player -- maybe any player in history.

So she pretty much has every shot. But that's not the whole story. Look at her stats. Over the years, she has probably piled up fewer unforced errors than almost any other top player.

Martina in addition to having more variety in her game than anyone else, is also by far the most consistant top player.

What she lacks, of course, is power, but she has proven that under the right circumstances, she can beat the power players, as she did yesterday against Ana Ivanovic, a talented girl with a great future ahead of her. She had a lot more power than Martina, but yesterday that turned out to be irrelevant.

It might also be noted that the semi-finalists at Tokyo were Maria Sharapova, 6'2 or taller; Ana Ivanovic, 6'0"; Elana Dementieva, 5' 11" and Martina HIngis, in reality just under 5' 7".

Hingis is a slightly above average height girl playing in the world's top professional sport for women in an era where larger than average girls have come to dominate the game except with f ew exceptions and dominate it they have, with power.

If she never wins another tournament (the chances of which are about equal with the chances of George Bush admitting he was just dead wrong about Iraq) Martina's achievements will go down in history. She is already assured of being considered one of the all time greats.

TSequoia01
Feb 4th, 2007, 12:30 PM
I partly agree. Additionally, Hingis is known to really construct her points and think a lot more than what is usual or common. She has never really won because she over powers her opponents, out thinks is more like what she does.

Actually we are in total agreement. When I referred to rallies or players who like to rally, my inference was to construct their points. While power players usually seek to end the point as soon as possible.

TSequoia01
Feb 4th, 2007, 12:37 PM
"Comparing her game to Chris Evert's is not really accurate, because it was often said about Chris that she only came to the net to shake hands."

I agree, Evert was a stark contrast to Navratilova who attacked the net at every opportunity. My point was style of game, sure Martina uses a bit more tactics, but both had weak serves and used their brains to compete.

Ryan
Feb 4th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I also think the way she plays on court is simply due to her brain. Not being smarter than anyone, but thinking in different ways. If you have a rubix cube, sudoku, or any type of puzzle there are many different ways people will try to figure it out, just based on how their brain works and how they see things. Same goes with sports I think - Hingis just sees the court, ball, opponent in a different way. Not to mention that her mother really ingrained those skills in her from an early, early age.

CORIA01
Feb 4th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Martina is very gifted plus she uses her brain 100 % while other players just use a small part of it and prefer use their strengh like power, serve...

Fantastic
Feb 4th, 2007, 02:11 PM
When Martina started playing, her mother taught her to play an all-court game. Melanie gave Martina the solid groundstrokes of a Chris Evert, and taught her how to volley and how to smash so that she could also emulate Martina Navratilova, whom she was named after.

As her game developed, it was just easier for Martina to play staying back most of the time because the other girls were just hitting too solidly for her to cope with at the net and she wasn't as athletic as a Navratilova. The only thing Melanie didn't push Martina into doing was practicing the serve much because she didn't want Martina to end up with shoulder injuries while her body was still growing. Back then, the women didn't need huge serves anyway. Obviously, Melanie didn't look ahead to see tennis changing that radically, so for that time, the way Martina played was textbook and very orthodox.

Growing up as a prodigy, Martina always faced girls who were much older than her and could hit her off the court, so she had to think of ways to beat her older opponents without possessing any of those weapons herself. That sort of junior experience, I feel, prepared Martina for the tennis she is facing now. Although she's not exactly playing other girls who are older than her, most of them are hitting harder than her, and while her physicality suggests that she would roll over and capitulate, it's those junior days of playing bigger girls that are standing Martina in good stead now.

IMO, Martina is in the Top 10 because her fitness and mental fortitude are keeping her there. She can match most of the girls in rallies, but she has always has to create her own openings in order to win points, whereas the other girls can create these openings with their more powerful shots. Martina has to be more precise. What Martina does is force them to hit a loose shot or get so out of position that they hit a weak reply, thus allowing Martina to take her chances. It's quite unfair really whenever Martina steps out on the court against the bigger girls, but somehow, she finds a way to win at least 90% of those matches.

polly
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:38 PM
if martina hadnt started at 2 years of age and only for her mother she probably wouldnt be as good as she is today:confused: how far would she have gone without her mother i wonder:confused:

Dawn Marie
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:42 PM
What I think.

I think Martina Hingis was born at the right place at the perfect time. She was given the gift of classic style tennis. I think she was born to play tennis. Sure her mom taught her the game but it takes a natural born gift to play the way Martina plays. Her technique is natural and her court sense is natural. Martina has a feel for the ball. You can't teach that.

Many people have the perfect oppurtunity and some excel and some don't. I just think that even though her mother gave her alot to learn about the game that this doesn't mean that she would have the feel of the game the way that she does. Martina anticipates well and she has the feel for tennis like a chess player does with chess.

She will get over powered but she can also beat power babes. She always has just not at the rate that she did in 1997-1999.

Nicolás89
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:46 PM
martina thinks not only the shots that she is making and where her opponent can return , she thinks for her second even for her third shot after that, or at least thats what i see when she plays

polly
Feb 4th, 2007, 07:02 PM
so only for her mother she probably wouldnt have made it

Dawn Marie
Feb 4th, 2007, 07:35 PM

Well yes and no. I think she was born the perfect place and time. I feel that everything happens for a reason. So yes, Her mother gave birth to her.

IMHO,she would be the player she is with or without her mother. She was born to play tennis. It just so happened that Melanie is her mother.

It's kinda of deep but when you see people displaying genius ability then you have to think a little deeper.

Martina won't win em all and she will be overpowered. Yet you can't deny her feel for the tennis game.

Tennisation
Feb 4th, 2007, 07:54 PM
I'm a power player, but I have my off days (too often) where my shots are like that of Ivanovic's, so I decided to try out Chucky style tennis, and it amazes me how effective that is, it feels good to beat someone playing smart tennis.

égalité
Feb 4th, 2007, 07:54 PM

You can say the same thing about any player/coach. :rolleyes:

plantman
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:23 PM
It's simple......Martina has the best (uncanny) talent at constructing points from all parts of the court. Now that's she's putting some weight behind her shots and serve, WATCH OUT! As time goes by this year, look for Martina to move on up the ranks! She won't be camped out playing the tier 3's or 4's, so the power hitters better be prepared!:)

Alla Luce
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Martina's style of play is weirdly fantastic. It's entertaining to watch her construct points.

franny
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:46 PM
It's simple......Martina has the best (uncanny) talent at constructing points from all parts of the court. Now that's she's putting some weight behind her shots and serve, WATCH OUT! As time goes by this year, look for Martina to move on up the ranks! She won't be camped out playing the tier 3's or 4's, so the power hitters better be prepared!:)

Okay, I'm a big fan of NOT getting too cocky before you should. So I've been telling fans of other players this, and Imma tell my fellow fans of Hingis, let's wait till we see her other results before we start going, 'Martina's gonna dominate!" She's always been able to take out power players, she just hasn't been able to take out 3-4 in a row, which is why at some of the bigger tournaments, where she has to play the really good ones starting in the fourth round, she runs into trouble. So let's wait and see whether Martina does add more weight behind her shots against the big hitters.

austennis
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:38 PM
I think its a natural game..

Martian Jeza
Feb 4th, 2007, 11:41 PM
brain tennis is infinitely more a joy to watch than the McDonnalds tennis style you have nowadays with the teenage girls based on a big serve, big shots and pace. Martina Hingis is a TRUE tennis genius : she MUSTS be an example to follow for each girls who want to begin to play tennis... Not following the wrong path of physical and one dimensional tennis ...

Natash.
Feb 4th, 2007, 11:49 PM
I love Martina's game. It's very graceful. I like to see younger players taking a similar route (Kirilenko and someone else I can't remember) and not playing the same power game.