PDA

View Full Version : Question: set PC to turn off automatically?

drake3781
Feb 4th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Can I set my PC (Sony VAIO laptop) to turn itself off after about an hour?

I want to play this nature sounds MP3 I downloaded then have the PC turn off once I'm asleep.

Is that possible or not something a PC can do?

Wigglytuff
Feb 4th, 2007, 07:29 AM
no idea sorry.

Rocketta
Feb 4th, 2007, 07:40 AM
I don't know either....unless you have it hooked up to a UPS?? The more expensive ones can be set to cut your computer off, or maybe even the cheap ones will do that too. :scratch:

Wigglytuff
Feb 4th, 2007, 07:52 AM
on a mac its easy.

with a mac you can do it from the screen saver, dvd, itunes or anyone one of a few other menus did you try any of those?

Rocketta
Feb 4th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Actually I never shut my computer off...it's not needed and harder on your hard drive I've always heard. :shrug:

Yasmine
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:27 AM
reyes you can:cool:

If you have Windows XP: you go to Control Panel, then performance and maintenance, then there is something called Power options (I hope I'm right, I've got a french version)... and there you can make it get itself to turn off after a definite time :cool:

hope it helps:)

Wigglytuff
Feb 4th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Actually I never shut my computer off...it's not needed and harder on your hard drive I've always heard. :shrug:

i shut down because i often fall asleep watching a dvd or listening to some itunes.

i dont want something bad to happen while i am sleeping,

hdfb
Feb 4th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Yasmine's right.

Rocketta
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:18 PM
i shut down because i often fall asleep watching a dvd or listening to some itunes.

i dont want something bad to happen while i am sleeping,

Yeah my laptop sleeps in my bed with me and I've only knocked it over twice. :tape:

drake3781
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Thanks to those who know how, and don't know how. :lol: :wavey:

Appreciate it. Gonna try the power options (yes, I have that).

I've developed quite a case of tinnitus and it bothers me worst at night, so gonna try these nature sounds (raging waterfall or something like that :p ).

P.S. anybody listening to loud music, you will be sorry when you get a little older, please be wise and stop it. Tinnitus is incurable, and with you all day every day. :sad:

Rocketta
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:41 PM
btw, turning the hard disks off during idle time is not the same as shutting down. Anyway here's a pro/con article about shutting your computer off.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/framed.htm?parent=question328.htm&url=http://www.pcguide.com/care/care/gen/powerOnOff-c.html

drake3781
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:48 PM
btw, turning the hard disks off during idle time is not the same as shutting down. Anyway here's a pro/con article about shutting your computer off.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/framed.htm?parent=question328.htm&url=http://www.pcguide.com/care/care/gen/powerOnOff-c.html

Thanks, I'll read it tonight.

I just want it not running all night long. This PC gets hot and the fans run a lot, and I want it off (or close to off). Also there is more risk of intrusion when it is on (I have wireless).

I really like that website too (howstuffworks).

Rocketta
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:56 PM
well if all you want to do is listen to music, you can disconnect from the network before you go to sleep.

drake3781
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:59 PM
well if all you want to do is listen to music, you can disconnect from the network before you go to sleep.

I need it to shut off so the PC is not heating up and the fans aren't running. This PC gets hot because it is very slim design, and the fans run a great deal.

I'll check into the Power Options later.

drake3781
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:20 PM
reyes you can:cool:

If you have Windows XP: you go to Control Panel, then performance and maintenance, then there is something called Power options (I hope I'm right, I've got a french version)... and there you can make it get itself to turn off after a definite time :cool:

hope it helps:)

Hi Yasmine:

Yes I do have Power Options but I don't see the way to get it to turn itself off there. I've checked all the tabs. Can you tell me what tab you use for that and what option? Appreciate it. :D :wavey:

P.S. The tabs I have in Power Management are:
Power Schemes
Alarms
Power Meter
Hibernate
Advanced
VAIO Power Management