PDA

View Full Version : Martina Hingis: Tokyo Title #5!!

OZTENNIS
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Martina Hingis has won her fifth Tokyo title by defeating promising Serb, Ana Ivanovic, 6-4, 6-2 today. Martina will add this Tokyo triumph to her other successes in 1997, 1999, 2000 and 2002. Is it really 10 years since Martina claimed her first Tokyo title :eek: ... in winning this tournament, Hingis has also eclipsed Lindsay Davenport as the most successful player ever at the Tokyo event. And when you consider Hingis was runner-up on a further three occasions (1998, 2001 and 2006), Marti has played in an astonishing 8 finals over the past 11 Tokyo Pan Pacific Open Tournaments. Congratulations Martina! This should silence your critics as it proves you can deal with the powerful, promising youngsters (ie. Ivanovic) and other top 10 players (ie. Dementieva)... and Samantha Stosur may rest a little easier after her 6-0, 6-1 Q/F drubbing! Congrats Marti, may it prove to be a catalyst for many future successes. :worship:

No.1Hingis
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Love your script..

lecciones
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Great win! now where's my money i bet!? haha

UncleZeke
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:17 AM
She loves playing on the rug in Tokyo.

banana
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:18 AM
That means martina has never failed to make the final of this event since 1996 (apart from 2003-2005 due to her hiatus) *bows* Go Martina

Hingiswinsthis
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:19 AM
I'm sorry but I believe Tokyo has been on a fast indoor court?

OZTENNIS
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Love your script..

thank you :)

a great champion deserves a bit of a rap ;)

RJWCapriati
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Amazing tournament record.....Hingis is so successful at the beginning of the seasons......I hope she can have a great 2nd part of this season also unlike last year.

UncleZeke
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:38 AM
I'm sorry but I believe Tokyo has been on a fast indoor court?

2007 Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Calendar lists Tokyo surface as indoor carpet.

R. Federer
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:40 AM
So Proud Of You!!!! Hopp Martina Hingis Hopp!!!!

ctan88
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Wow, what an amazing record. She must love Tokyo to bits!

PLP
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Amazing tournament record.....Hingis is so successful at the beginning of the seasons......I hope she can have a great 2nd part of this season also unlike last year.

Well, the good news is she doesn't have much to defend after RG! :wavey:

franny
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Omg I'm so happy for Martina now!! It's like every tournament title is so special!!!!! I know that this is not as strong a field as a lot of other tournaments, but its' still tier 1 and she still had to defeat tough players. I'm so happy for her!!!!!!!!!!!

LUIS9
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:08 AM

Especially at the US open. She used to be so successful at the open back then. She had never lost before the 4th round at the open before last year. She only lost at that stage on her first try and then in '02 to Seles during her decline.

MrSerenaWilliams
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:23 AM
:bounce: Congrats! :yeah: 2 Tier Is in a little over a year....:bigclap::yeah:

MistyGrey
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Hingis loves this tournament. And it is played on a fast indoor surface, which is believed to be her worst surface!

franny
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:30 AM
I really hope that there are at least highlights of it up soon.

Dexter
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Congratulations Martina. Amazing achievement. :worship:

Buitenzorg
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Hingis :)

hectopascal
Feb 4th, 2007, 07:12 AM
I thought Martina played better on slow surfaces?? Oh well at least she won!

kovazh
Feb 4th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Great Tournament Martina! :bounce:

PLP
Feb 4th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Congrats again Martina!!!!!!!!!!

PLP
Feb 4th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Hingis loves this tournament. And it is played on a fast indoor surface, which is believed to be her worst surface!

Really?

I think it's her best! :confused:

up!
Feb 4th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Great tournament Martina! Congrats!

markhingis
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:04 AM
I love it when Martina sets new and breaks old records! That's so amazing!! Keep it up girl :)

Mina Vagante
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:06 AM
:devil:

goldenlox
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:35 PM
To have such great career results in Melbourne and Tokyo speak a lot about her preparation.

franny
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I just wish Martina takes month-long time off during the season. She tends to play so much at the beginning of the year cuz her battery's charged, and then she runs out of steam by the time Wimbledon comes around, and then she picks it up again kinda after the U.S. Open when she gets another decent break.

LondonSteve
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Martina Hingis has won her fifth Tokyo title by defeating promising Serb, Ana Ivanovic, 6-4, 6-2 today. Martina will add this Tokyo triumph to her other successes in 1997, 1999, 2000 and 2002. Is it really 10 years since Martina claimed her first Tokyo title :eek: ... in winning this tournament, Hingis has also eclipsed Lindsay Davenport as the most successful player ever at the Tokyo event. And when you consider Hingis was runner-up on a further three occasions (1998, 2001 and 2006), Marti has played in an astonishing 8 finals over the past 11 Tokyo Pan Pacific Open Tournaments. Congratulations Martina! This should silence your critics as it proves you can deal with the powerful, promising youngsters (ie. Ivanovic) and other top 10 players (ie. Dementieva)... and Samantha Stosur may rest a little easier after her 6-0, 6-1 Q/F drubbing! Congrats Marti, may it prove to be a catalyst for many future successes. :worship:

Brilliant post. :wavey: I really hope Martina is a force to reckon with this year. After Serena winning Australia, imagine Martina taking Roland Garros!

LondonSteve
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:55 PM
That means martina has never failed to make the final of this event since 1996 (apart from 2003-2005 due to her hiatus) *bows* Go Martina

That is a sensational record! I'm really excited for Martina.

Nicolás89
Feb 4th, 2007, 09:04 PM
las year she played better(except in the final) but hey she still won:shrug:

Really?

I think it's her best! :confused:

ok that was sarcastic or a joke:confused: :lol:

frenchie
Feb 4th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Great win for Martina!!

and Tokyo has the fastest surface of all the wta tournaments!

PLP
Feb 4th, 2007, 09:17 PM
las year she played better(except in the final) but hey she still won:shrug:

ok that was sarcastic or a joke:confused: :lol:

Not at all!

Of course, there aren't many tournament played on this surface but I believe Martina has won them all.

Martina won the YEC 2x in NY, on an indoor CARPET court, against the best players in the world...she also made the final at 16 in 1996.
She has now won Tokyo 5x
She has also won Moscow and Porsche, I believe both are on indoor carpet, not indoor hardcourt...though she also has a great record on that! :wavey:

Anyway, someone correct me if I am wrong! :)

Nicolás89
Feb 4th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I just wish Martina takes month-long time off during the season. She tends to play so much at the beginning of the year cuz her battery's charged, and then she runs out of steam by the time Wimbledon comes around, and then she picks it up again kinda after the U.S. Open when she gets another decent break.

well thats not completely true, just last year she had a mental block till the yec, all her years has been very consistent ofcourse always playing her best tennis in the beginnig of the year till rg, then she plays average top 10 tennis

in 99 she kind a suck at wimbledon and a few weeks later, playing sort of poorly, (even whe she won stanford i believe), but we all know why she was lost and confused:wavey:

PLP
Feb 4th, 2007, 09:19 PM

Well as long as she takes her vitamins and gets enough sleep I think she will be OK for the 2nd half of the year. She definitely can make up many points if she plays well after RG! :devil:

alwayshingis
Feb 4th, 2007, 09:25 PM
I thought Martina played better on slow surfaces?? Oh well at least she won!

Common misconception. Martina does not play that well on the grass, but other fast surfaces (particularly indoors) allow her to use the opponent's power against her and create her famous angles.

Steffica Greles
Feb 4th, 2007, 09:26 PM
It was indeed a great win for Martina, which kind of confirms that she is still a genuine top ten player.

Having said that, Dementieva is inconsistent, and although I would expect Elena at the top of her form to defeat Hingis, attainment of that level is always sporadic with her; rather like Mary Pierce, who had a poor head-to-head record against Hingis, but achieved some memorable victories when she was playing well.

Ivanovic was unlucky that Sharaposer retired from their match, and consequently she may have been denied the boost to her confidence that such a win would have brought. She is still to prove that she belongs to the top 15, let alone the top ten.

So it was a good week for Hingis, but nothing incredible.

And the reason she plays better at the beginning of seasons is because she is refreshed somewhat. Playing at the highest level demands more from Martina than it does most of the players in the top 50, and thus she has to work that much harder, doing more running, hitting at a pace far outside of her level of comfort. By mid-late season she is usually feeling the effect of those rigours.

Nicolás89
Feb 4th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Not at all!

Of course, there aren't many tournament played on this surface but I believe Martina has won them all.

Martina won the YEC 2x in NY, on an indoor CARPET court, against the best players in the world...she also made the final at 16 in 1996.
She has now won Tokyo 5x
She has also won Moscow and Porsche, I believe both are on indoor carpet, not indoor hardcourt...though she also has a great record on that! :wavey:

Anyway, someone correct me if I am wrong! :)

martinas win-loss ratio by surfaces

thanxs to annak_4ever:wavey:

Hard outdoors 0.824
Clay 0.821
Hard indoors 0.810
Carpet 0.796
Grass 0.774

see carpet and indoors are far from her best surface
(in carpet she has the second best record though)

LeonHart
Feb 4th, 2007, 09:33 PM

Hard outdoors 0.824
Clay 0.821
Hard indoors 0.810
Carpet 0.796
Grass 0.774

That doesn't mean Hard outdoors is her best surface either....

There aren't as many indoor tournaments and surely none as big as the grand slams where Martina usually pound her early round opponents into the ground. Indoors, Martina would have to face top players within 2 or 3 rounds into the tournament. Having that record indoors is incredible.

PLP
Feb 4th, 2007, 09:40 PM

Hard outdoors 0.824
Clay 0.821
Hard indoors 0.810
Carpet 0.796
Grass 0.774

Exactly!

Well, it may not be her best surface but many of her best wins are on it! :)

Nicolás89
Feb 4th, 2007, 09:46 PM
That doesn't mean Hard outdoors is her best surface either....

There aren't as many indoor tournaments and surely none as big as the grand slams where Martina usually pound her early round opponents into the ground. Indoors, Martina would have to face top players within 2 or 3 rounds into the tournament. Having that record indoors is incredible.

yes i give you that, but i still think that martina shows her best in hardcourts and clay, at least from but id see, she can actually construct points and use her gifted brain to outplayed players (normal and hard hitter for equal), and accept that she cant finish points in 3 or 4 shots (every time)to do an effective game in fast courts(youll always have long rallies in fast courts though)

austennis
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Awesome effort from Hingis and she really is establishing herself as a champion of the game again.. good wins of Stosur, Dementieva and Ivanovic.. Sad for Ana but there will be many more finals for her..

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:09 PM
CONGRATS MARTINA! :kiss: :worship: