PDA

View Full Version : What Else Can We Look Forward to in Hingis' Comeback?

Just_lindsay
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:31 AM
Three titles, including two Tier Is (and two additional Tier I finals) is incredible! But can she get beyond the quarterfinals of a slam, or beyond that win one? What do you think?

The Kaz
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:34 AM
yeah i think she'll make a GS final this year...either at RG or USO :)

Kworb
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Completing the career Grand Slam at the French Open!
An Upset victory over Henin!
A Shocking win over Serena!

:)

RJWCapriati
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:37 AM
A French Open Win, which I do believe is in the future.

Hingiswinsthis
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:38 AM
she has to take it step by step.

she has to reach a slam SF this year first, then we'll talk realistically. She needs help if she's gonna be stubborn and play with that kind of serve she has.

but mind you, she is always *there* across the net. I've never seen a player win a match against Hingis that got a way with hitting 62 errors such as Clijsters two weeks ago.

She needs to be mean as a snake when she's up 2-0 against someone like Clijsters at a quarters of a major again. Then we'll talk about a "Major win".

DOUBLEFIST
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:38 AM
She definitely makes things more interesting. If Serena hadn't won the AO, this might be the biggest story in the women's game this year so far.

I voted for tier ones but no slams. At the same time, she is my Dark Horse to win the French. Not that I want her to. I don't. While I TRULY admire her skills, I still carry too many scars with me from the old Hingy Williams' sisters wars. :lol: But I wouldn't be surprised if she wins the French this year. But I think this year is her ONLY real shot at it.

PLP
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:39 AM
She has a good shot at RG and AO as long as she plays, hopefully another 4 or 5 years! :devil:

Potential matchups w/JuJu and Serena are :drool:

I don't know if Martina would win but I will love to see her try and work it out.

plantman
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:39 AM
Completing the career Grand Slam at the French Open!
An Upset victory over Henin!
A Shocking win over Serena!

:)

I'd have to agree, except a win over Serena I wouldn't find "Shocking"!

lecciones
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:41 AM
First of all congratulations to martina for winning TOkyo 64 62 looks so easy but it was a fight im sure! good thing martina is mentally powerful now :P secondly it is her destiny to win the french and complete what every great tennis player wants! All the force be with martina!

lecciones
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:43 AM
She has a good shot at RG and AO as long as she plays, hopefully another 4 or 5 years! :devil:

Potential matchups w/JuJu and Serena are :drool:

I don't know if Martina would win but I will love to see her try and work it out.

9 more years please! :P haha

LUIS9
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:43 AM

she has to reach a slam SF this year first, then we'll talk realistically. She needs help if she's gonna be stubborn and play with that kind of serve she has.

but mind you, she is always *there* across the net. I've never seen a player win a match against Hingis that got a way with hitting 62 errors such as Clijsters two weeks ago.

She needs to be mean as snake when she's up 2-0 against someone like Clijsters at a quarters of a major again. Then we'll talk about a "Major win".

She'l have better results on clay. A semifinal spot at Roland would come to no surprise. She'l remain in the top 8 for a while and should have decent draws and very few can beat her on good form on clay (Kuznetsova (though too incosistent, Henin(for obvious reasons) Mauresmo, Clijsters (still moves great on clay and both Venus and Serena (Venus might get too erratic on clay at times however)). I hope she wins a couple of more titles this year. She surely can especially when there's no Henin, Sharpie, Clijsters or Williams across the net at a final stage.

UncleZeke
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:49 AM
She won Rome last year. Maybe this is her year at RG.

spencercarlos
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:52 AM
She definitely makes things more interesting. If Serena hadn't won the AO, this might be the biggest story in the women's game this year so far.

I voted for tier ones but no slams. At the same time, she is my Dark Horse to win the French. Not that I want her to. I don't. While I TRULY admire her skills, I still carry too many scars with me from the old Hingy Williams' sisters wars. :lol: But I wouldn't be surprised if she wins the French this year. But I think this year is her ONLY real shot at it.
I would not go that far. Really Dementieva or Ivanovic are not the players that have been playing grand slams finals recently.

Hingis had a solid week, but honestly i think this kind of tennis she´s been playing so far won´t make her win a grand slam again. She is just way too defensive and once she faces a hard hitting oponnent and playing great tennis, she´ll get spanked. Dementieva did not have her Tokio 2006 form neither Ivanovic had her Montreal 2006 form today, she can get away on ocassions like these, but this tennis will do in the latter stages of grand slams, unless a Myskina Rg 2004 happen, where her last 3 oponnents could not get the ball in play, and i doubt that will happen any time soon.

No.1Hingis
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:53 AM
She wont.. WONT!! mark this.. wont retire without RG tittle... I knew it.. she is working with a coach.. which make me think is not her mom cause her improve on her serve an attitude... so.. she will look for that Slam.. and she will get it..

spencercarlos
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:53 AM

She needs to be mean as a snake when she's up 2-0 against someone like Clijsters at a quarters of a major again. Then we'll talk about a "Major win".
Warsaw 2006 vs Venus rings a bell? 80 unforced errors and still her oponnent got away! :tape:

LUIS9
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Warsaw 2006 vs Venus rings a bell? 80 unforced errors and still her oponnent got away! :tape:

For the love of Christ don't remind us of that horrid day in tennis. :eek:

I love Venus' backhand and appreciate her talent but gosh that's a tough one to swallow.

lecciones
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:00 AM
She wont.. WONT!! mark this.. wont retire without RG tittle... I knew it.. she is working with a coach.. which make me think is not her mom cause her improve on her serve an attitude... so.. she will look for that Slam.. and she will get it..

Yes i think that is really why she came back. think of it, two finals where she could've and should've won. Little surprise to me why she is playing now, she has to get her RG.

barmaid
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:00 AM

Good post, tonight she was up 2-0 against Ana and let it slip too...making the first set closer than she needed to. Granted she came back with a convincing 6-2 victory for her 43rd title! We'll see how she plays the rest of the tourney's leading up to RG but I definitely have more faith in her game now than when she played AO. Go Hings!:kiss: :hearts: :worship:

barmaid:wavey:

DOUBLEFIST
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:01 AM
I would not go that far. Really Dementieva or Ivanovic are not the players that have been playing grand slams finals recently.

Hingis had a solid week, but honestly i think this kind of tennis she´s been playing so far won´t make her win a grand slam again. She is just way too defensive and once she faces a hard hitting oponnent and playing great tennis, she´ll get spanked. Dementieva did not have her Tokio 2006 form neither Ivanovic had her Montreal 2006 form today, she can get away on ocassions like these, but this tennis will do in the latter stages of grand slams, unless a Myskina Rg 2004 happen, where her last 3 oponnents could not get the ball in play, and i doubt that will happen any time soon.

You could very well be right. But The Assassin is not to be under estimated. I see her game growing toward, being shaped for clay. I just have a feeling. I couldn't care less if I were wrong, but...

Hingiswinsthis
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:02 AM
No Spencercarlos...I obviously didn't WATCH the Venus 2006 Warsaw match did I?

I refer to the Clijsters one sneaking past Martina because that is the one I SAW.

IceSkaTennisFan
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:02 AM
I want to see Hingis play Serena again. I believe Hingis has beaten all the other top players around, except maybe the Belgians and Mauresmo since being back...:confused:

treufreund
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:03 AM
I want to see Hingis play Serena again. I believe Hingis has beaten all the other top players around, except maybe the Belgians and Mauresmo since being back...:confused:

Nope, she has not beaten Justine.

No.1Hingis
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Agh!! Im tired of.. she should be more.. bla bla bla.. is always that.. she wont do this or etc.. is not FAIR... if you gonna ask her for win.. then we should start with a bunch of top ten's first instead Martina..

Remember what you did with Serena, werent amazing matches but she won and was too fair cause she did what she need.. thats the thing.. do what you have.. and if she will win or not .. well.. is alway a possibilty with Marti.. is that clear.. as she was on last 8 in AO and one of just "3" three top ten left on the draw.. so.. do not forget guys.. cause thats so comfortable and sounds selfish..

Hashim.
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Rg

Junex
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:09 AM

i think she means "since martina came back"...if memory serves me right, she hasn't yet....:wavey:

Marcus1979
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:16 AM

Justine is belgian right ;)

Hingiswinsthis
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:16 AM
yes...that's another thing too Martina should striver for:

1) hand Clijsters one loss before she retires for good

2) prove that one inch in heights matters and upsets Justine

3) pick up the where she and Mauresmo left off from the 1999 season and win over Amelie again.

Those 3 playes above have been the Great Wall of China for Hingis since her comeback.

I think she's gonna be able to beat one of those 3 this year at last.

pooh14
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:26 AM
yes...that's another thing too Martina should striver for:

2) prove that one inch in heights matters and upsets Justine

lol, i think this is funny.

** henin fans, i hope you'll take this as a joke too and not get angry. i respect henin alot for that matter.

thomas.chung
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Hingis vs. Serena at FO 2007 :>

ctan88
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Realistically, i think it would be hard for Hingis to make it beyond the QTRS for a grandslam, but she is a great "tennis" player, so maybe somehow her tennis brain can get her through. More titles, including Tier 1's is without doubt, thats for sure :)

franny
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:59 AM
I'm taking it one step at a time. I just want to see her beat a top 4 player, and hopefully reach a semi at a slam. Once you reach the semis, anything can happen. Omg it would be AMAZING if she can win the French Open. I think I would actually cry.

xin_hui
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:08 AM
it isnt a comeback anymore, as martina said so herself ;)

but i'd say, consistent in beating lower ranked players, but hitting a snag when it comes to serena/maria/amelie/henin/kim/maybe sveta. as someone said, they're the great wall of china for her :lol:

same story for grand slams, where martina will run into the abovementioned. unless the higher seed in her section fell in the early rounds. her best chance comes at RG, where it'd be better for her to land in sharapova's (clay nullifies her game more)or amelie's (momo and RG = :tape: )quarters, than in henin or kim's quarters.

austennis
Feb 5th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Come on Martina win the French Open.. prove your critics wrong and cement your status as a legend..

In The Zone
Feb 5th, 2007, 03:28 AM
A priority of Martina's needs to be getting her ranking into the Top 4. Improving on her Dubai, Doha, Miami, Warsaw, Berlin are a must. Playing Charleston will help. By getting into the top 4, Martina can shield herself from the big guns. However, she'd have to hop Clijsters to get it so she'd still have 25% chance of getting her at the French. It is all about the draw. If Martina can get Dementieva or Kuznetsova, she can go to the semis. Right now, her arsenal will not allow a big win.

-VSR-
Feb 5th, 2007, 03:29 AM
MAYBE a slam semifinal, with a good draw.

I think she'll win more titles and will get into the top 4 in the world.

RenaSlam.
Feb 5th, 2007, 03:31 AM
She will not win the FO.

selyoink
Feb 5th, 2007, 04:31 AM
I say pretty much a repeat of last year. She will get to a couple of QFs at slams, do pretty well in Tier I's, and pull the occasional upset against the top 5.

~Eclipsed~
Feb 5th, 2007, 04:37 AM
-A grand slam semifinal, but nothing higher than that in the GS

-Some tier I titles

-A win over Henin

:yeah: