PDA

View Full Version : Coach Made Maria Serve For 2 Hours Day Of Ao Final

driger
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:20 AM
not the brightest coaching. maybe its time for maria make a change.

tennnisfannn
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:22 AM
who is to say this is not how she usually trains anyway?

ceiling_fan
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:26 AM
how do u know

driger
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:27 AM
was on the tennis channel tonight. they were criticizing it during hingis match.

serenafan08
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Well it didn't help then, and it certainly didn't help her in Tokyo.

plantman
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Explains alot about her loss to Serena at the A.O.
I just can't wait for the next time they meet.:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

TonyP
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:49 AM
If this is true, Maria should fire her coach -- and her father.

NO wonder she had nothing on her serve during the match.

That's one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard of.

Hashim.
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:49 AM
really??

tennisvulture
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:18 AM
thats ridiculous if true...why on Earth do u need a practice session of 2 hours on the finals day when it was clear that her serve was coming together in the semis (except that notorious game when she served 4 df's but also hit some great ones to compensate for)
but, i'd double check the source of this info...it is either just a speculation or a huge mistake by her coaches

Stamp Paid
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:19 AM

What does it explain, exactly? :scratch:

DOUBLEFIST
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:24 AM
I wonder if that was the excuse before every match at the AO before the final, cause her served was wack then too. And I wonder if he did it before every match at the TPP cause her serve was wack then too. ....Hmmm... :confused: :lol: No it's not the supposed two hour session. The more people buy into it the more desperate the make Masha look. Too bad.

This is simply spin doctor stuff to minimize a crushing defeat. :rolleyes: It's simple. She needs to take some time off and work on her serve. Period.

Stamp Paid
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Exactly. Maria's serve sucked the entire championships. She served no better or no worse in the final than she did in her previous 6 matches, so those 2 hours obviously didnt affect her too much. At least she didnt DF on any break points in the final.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:26 AM

I love how people continue to make excuses for Maria's loss, get over it already.

bellascarlett
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:28 AM
I'm not sure about the length of time (2 hours) but even during the ESPN coverage, Luke Jensen mentioned this. I remember him saying before the match started that Maria was practicing on only her serve for a certain period of time. Obviously, it wasnt good for her to be practicing only serves right before the match because it put more pressure on her and it signalled a weakness in her game she hadn't figured out yet.

Bad call, I say. But I really doubt it was two hours...

Dementieva Guts
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:32 AM
not the brightest coaching. maybe its time for maria make a change.

This could help her. She lacks big time on fitness, somebody must teach her that tennis isn't a fashion show, you need to work hard on court to be the best. The field will someday stop playing like crap when facing sharapova.

Andy.
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:36 AM
This could help her. She lacks big time on fitness, somebody must teach her that tennis isn't a fashion show, you need to work hard on court to be the best. The field will someday stop playing like crap when facing sharapova.
Im going to have to dissagree with pretty much everything you have said. Maria knows tennis isnt a fashion show but there is no hurt in looking nice./ Maria works just as hard as anyone if not harder and is ver efficent and precise with her training. Maria is extreamly big match tough and has won some very big titles and lastly opponent ussually play extreamly well against her because she has the "it" girl target on her back they all want to beat her and raise their games when thay play her.

bellascarlett
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:37 AM

can you just shut up about these fashion show and modeling talks...clearly so stupid. :rolleyes: i think two grandslam titles among many titles and the number one rank (at 19) prove that Maria does not go on court to look pretty, but to win.

my gosh...just shut up...:o

DOUBLEFIST
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:54 AM
I do think Masha's a very hard worker. What she lacks in out right athleticism she attempts to make up for in gritty determination, but she going to come to a cross roads- especially if Venus and the other top players return in top form.

Shapo needs to take her strength training to another level. She clearly has the frame for it. It will help her serve. It will help her movement. It will help her groundies. But- And this is where the "beauty queen" accusation has some merit- it might not help her endorsment pocket book. So I'm afraid she (or elements of her camp...cough...Yuri...,cough) might not want her to. It is unfortunate, real though it is, that madison avenue doesn't whole heartily think that women with muscles are attractive. Anna K. knew this and all but quite openly said so, and said she was unwilling to add some muscle. Now, of course there is a huge difference between Anna and Masha. Winning :lol: (although their serves are starting to look similar :devil: . Sorry couldn't resist)

But Mash is, in all likelyhood, going to have to face the fact that she must get both lower and upper body stronger as the game continues to move to the next level, and that may very well me a body structure change, and that has Madison Ave implications.

MrSerenaWilliams
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:17 AM
:worship: I love you!

MistyGrey
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:23 AM
2 hours! :eek:
Not a good move!

Tennisation
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:25 AM
I can't decide which advice is worse, serving for 2 hrs on the day of the final or "find a way to win":o

piercerocks
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:28 AM
they said this on espn during the final.. lol

whatever happened messed her up.

RenaSlam.
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Stupid ass.

tennnisfannn
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Her coaches were good enough to get her past kim and to make the final, no shame in that.

Mina Vagante
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:53 AM
ooohhh explains a lot

soccerjock
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:40 AM
This is simply spin doctor stuff to minimize a crushing defeat. :rolleyes: It's simple. She needs to take some time off and work on her serve. Period.[/QUOTE]

Haha its hilarious Maria gets to a Grand Slam FINAL and yet needs to work on her game, yeah she was slighty off on finals day but she lost because SERENA was fucking unplayable. Period.

jazar
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:42 AM
why not?

Tenis Srbija
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:45 AM
:rolleyes:

Dan23
Feb 4th, 2007, 11:25 AM
It sure wasnt 2 hours of serving. It was lucky to be 45 minutes total.

Dan23
Feb 4th, 2007, 11:34 AM
I do think Masha's a very hard worker. What she lacks in out right athleticism she attempts to make up for in gritty determination, but she going to come to a cross roads- especially if Venus and the other top players return in top form.

Shapo needs to take her strength training to another level. She clearly has the frame for it. It will help her serve. It will help her movement. It will help her groundies. But- And this is where the "beauty queen" accusation has some merit- it might not help her endorsment pocket book. So I'm afraid she (or elements of her camp...cough...Yuri...,cough) might not want her to. It is unfortunate, real though it is, that madison avenue doesn't whole heartily think that women with muscles are attractive. Anna K. knew this and all but quite openly said so, and said she was unwilling to add some muscle. Now, of course there is a huge difference between Anna and Masha. Winning :lol: (although their serves are starting to look similar :devil: . Sorry couldn't resist)

But Mash is, in all likelyhood, going to have to face the fact that she must get both lower and upper body stronger as the game continues to move to the next level, and that may very well me a body structure change, and that has Madison Ave implications.
what a load of :zzz:
Are JHH and Mauresmo tanks? No.
Maria knows what she needs to do to get to her peak physical condition...and that does not necessarily mean bulking up with big muscles. :rolleyes: Maria is a naturally light framed woman and has recently added a considerable amount of weight, especially since her growth spurt ceased, through strength and conditioning work.

TonyP
Feb 4th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Unfortunately, it is almost impossible for some fans to get past their hatred of Sharapova, hatred base on her looks and in some cases, her race.

Is she in good shape. She is in great shape and a remarkable athlete for somebody with her build. Does she work hard? I have -- in person -- watched her at practice and in physical training before matches.

Sharapova won the US OPen last fall and got to the finals of the Austrlian Open and some here are suggesting she take some time off and work on her game? She is number one in the world and she should take some time off nad work on her game?

I can almost guarantee you she will be back winning more slams.(And I am in no way a Sharapova fan.)

I can also almost guarantee you that hitting serves for hours at a time before a match is a bad idea. Hitting serves for hours at a time any time is actually a bad idea and is eventually going to cause injury problems either with her shoulder or her back or with both.

She is a tough girl -- as Hingis said of her, "mean as a snake " (on the tennis court, not in real life), but her coaches have to show common sense and apparently they didn't at the AO.

silverwhite
Feb 4th, 2007, 12:51 PM
This is just ridiculous on so many levels.

1) Maria cannot be forced to do anything she doesn't want to do. The blame shouldn't fall on her coaches alone.
2) Who is to say that she would have played better in the final if she hadn't practised her serve for 2 hours?
3) As quite a few people have already mentioned, she hadn't been serving well the whole tournament. It wasn't a phenomenon that suddenly occured during the final.

ImaVeggie
Feb 4th, 2007, 01:02 PM
It's not just spin doctors who are putting this out after the fact. I also heard it on ESPN the night of the AO Final. They said that she was out practicing only on her serve. I thought what an asinine thing to do. Planting the seed of doubt.

MatchpointPRT
Feb 4th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Sharapova´s serve has been horrible since the Australian open, particularly in the final, and she showed that something is really wrong in her serve in tokyo... lots of double faults, 14, 17... that is Dementieva not Sharapova, and 17 double faults for Dementieva just in a bad day...

nhissan
Feb 4th, 2007, 02:31 PM
I love how people continue to make excuses for Maria's loss, get over it already.

yeah it's pathetic

Volcana
Feb 4th, 2007, 02:35 PM
NO wonder she had nothing on her serve during the match.Her serve WAS screwed up the whole tournament, so I wouldn't blame her performance in the final on that.

goldenlox
Feb 4th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Maria won the USO and made the AO final. There's nothing to make excuses for. She's #1 and has the best results on the tour over the last 6 months or so.
Her strength is fighting thru tough close matches. Once in a while she's brilliant, and once in a while she is off form. But overall, only Justine can match her consistency.

Brooklyn90
Feb 4th, 2007, 02:36 PM
maria has been serving bad this whole year not just that one match, plus serena served amazing in the final and was hitting better ground stokes thank maria, she would have won anyways.

Volcana
Feb 4th, 2007, 02:52 PM
what a load of :zzz:
Are JHH and Mauresmo tanks? No.Actually, for her frame, Henin IS a tank. And it was turning herself into one that made her a GS winner. And Mauresmo was the most muscular player on the tour til a chronic back injury forced her to stop power-lifting. Your point is not wholely without validity, but you picked the wrong two players as examples.

Maria knows what she needs to do to get to her peak physical condition...and that does not necessarily mean bulking up with big muscles. :rolleyes: Maria is a naturally light framed woman and has recently added a considerable amount of weight, especially since her growth spurt ceased, through strength and conditioning work.I certainly wouldn't characterize Sharapova as 'light-framed'. She has a big frame, and in fact, your own last sentence alludes to that. In the last two years, she HAS bulked up considerably.

And certainly this is a, call it a subconscious tendency, among many female athletes, that they would rather be non-muscular losers than muscular winners. I wouldn't put Sharapova in that category. She's a whole lot more developed across the shoulders than in 2004. But after seeing what REALLY getting into shape, and putting on some muscle, did for Henin, it's a surprise more players didn't follow her lead.

trufanjay
Feb 4th, 2007, 02:57 PM
If this is what affected her serve then maybe she did this before every match for the whole event. Cause that serve was a mess from round 1.

VS Fan
Feb 4th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Well, Maria's serve sucked for the entire final match.

I still think Serena would have won, but by a closer scoreline.

Serena was "on" but a better serve from Maria might have altered that.

Maria was "on" at Wimbledon 2004 and Serena had no answers.

When a player is constantly painting the lines there is not much you can do,
but holding serve would be the best defense to get to tiebreaks in the first two sets.

goldenlox
Feb 4th, 2007, 03:06 PM
All that matters is that Sharapova stays #1 and wins a major this year.
Micro-analysis of the world's #1 is meaningless, when the #1 has a USO win and AO final as her last 2 majors.

Vlover
Feb 4th, 2007, 03:39 PM
[QUOTE]All that matters is that Sharapova stays #1 and wins a major this year.

The first might be achievable with her draws but if her serving woes continues the latter is unlikely. When she meets better opponents in the latter rounds especially in a major such serving can't hold up.

Anyway there are 2 players I know that love to defeat #1's for major titles.;)

trufanjay
Feb 4th, 2007, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE=goldenlox;9970689]

The first might be achievable with her draws but if her serving woes continues the latter is unlikely. When she meets better opponents in the latter rounds especially in a major such serving can't hold up.

Anyway there are 2 players I know that love to defeat #1's for major titles.;)
:lol:

I think I know who you're talking about.

goldenlox
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Whio cares? Sharapova has beaten everyone. And everyone is ranked behind her.

Mightymirza
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:08 PM
well 2 hrs is too much!!

Mightymirza
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Whio cares? Sharapova has beaten everyone. And everyone is ranked behind her.

Well does that mean Sharpy is never gonna make changes and never gonna improve??:silly: Coz if a player doesnt improve, she aint going anywhere!!

goldenlox
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:12 PM
She's always trying to improve. Everyone is either trying to get healthy or trying to improve.
That's pro sports.

vettipooh
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:29 PM
All that matters is that Sharapova stays #1 and wins a major this year.
Micro-analysis of the world's #1 is meaningless, when the #1 has a USO win and AO final as her last 2 majors.

Wow (W@ow)! What happened goldenlox? Recently you've had your nose all up Sharapova's :tape: ! The people in your sig are diappointing?:o
Anyway, who knows whether it's not customary for her to practice her serve at length before a final? :shrug: She may have done just that at USopen, and that's why she kicked Henin's a#@ in the final. Maybe they thought it would work also vs Rena, but honestly, it would have taken 2 players across the net to beat Rena on that day!!! :lol: AO 2007 was written in stone!!!:p

goldenlox
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Every major is written in stone. Including the 2006 USO, the 2004 USO, 2004 Wimbledon, and my favorite, 2004 RG.
The #1 isn't written in stone.
But it's in Sharapova's hands.

TeamUSA#1
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:43 PM
That was the stupidest thing he could have done to her.

1. No better way to tire out the shoulder and arm than hitting serves for 2 hours.

2. MOST IMPORTANTLY--- when you do something like this before a slam final, it is going to get into your head that your serve is fucked. He should have done what BJK did for Capriati at the 2002 AO. Jen had been struggling with double faults for about 6 months, and was worried about her serve. Whe she sought out BJKs advice, BJK told her this: " your serve is good enough.. you can win..." Joyce should have said the same thing to Maria....."you have a great serve, you know how to hit it, and you will in the final... you can win" Maria would have faired much better (still wouldn't have won as Serena played flawless tennis) than she did. You could tell she had no confidence in hitting her serve the whole match. Get a new coach Maria!

plantman
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:48 PM
yeah it's pathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeReeDavJCap81

Coming from a supporter of the "Queen of excuses" is hysterical!:lol: :lol:

the cat
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:27 PM
If this is true, Maria should fire her coach -- and her father.

NO wonder she had nothing on her serve during the match.

That's one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard of.
Well said Tony. But Maria won't fire Michael Joyce or her father. But the next time those 2 geniuses :rolleyes: come up with an idea like Masha practicing her serve for 2 hours the day of a grand slam final she should tell them to get lost! :mad:

TeamUSA, I agree with you that Maria went into the final against Serena thinking she had a major problem with her serve and it played out that way. :( She needed some positive reinforment about her serve and I gather she didn't get it from Joyce or her father.

Il Primo!
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:30 PM

Hum, I think she knows it, period.
Ah, I just saw you were a Dementieva's fan...

Kenny
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:37 PM
:-\

Pam Shriver said during the final that it was 20 minutes.. not two hours. Crazy how the number gets distorted after her loss..

womensrights
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Anybody who believes Maria served for 2 hours the day of the final are bigger idiots than I could imagine!

bunch_01
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Don't assume the serving for 2 hours statement is true. What I heard watching ESPN's coverage of the AO is that she practiced serves for 20 minutes of a 2 hour pre final warm up at the AO. Now this has morphed into 2 hours of practicing serving? Come on...critical thinking says that that has to be pretty illogical and Team Sharapova is anything but stupid.

Also Maria DOES work hard. What she needs to do is work smarter not harder.

tennisbum79
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Having read most of the posts.
I was just wondering, had Maria won against Serena, would people say?

It was a brilliant coaching move to ge ready for Serena's return game.
She won despite the fact this was a bad move
This issue will not have been raised.

tennisbum79
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Don't assume the serving for 2 hours statement is true. What I heard watching ESPN's coverage of the AO is that she practiced serves for 20 minutes of a 2 hour pre final warm up at the AO. Now this has morphed into 2 hours of practicing serving? Come on...critical thinking says that that has to be pretty illogical and Team Sharapova is anything but stupid.

Also Maria DOES work hard. What she needs to do is work smarter not harder.
I agree with with your assessment.

Dawn Marie
Feb 4th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Oh give me a fucking break! Maria's serve was off even before the AO 2007. I just watched a match between her and Kim on the tennis channel and she wasn't serving her usual serves. Also every top player has a few hiccups.

So her coach had her ass on the court for 2 hours!! Big Deal! He knows that she needs to work on her serve because it was letting her down the tourney. Why are people acting like Maria's some dainty little princess and her coach was some mean ole orge who over worked her?? She was working out her kinks and she was trying to warm up her serving. You mean to tell me you all feel that this 2 hour coaching stint was too much? LOL!!! LOL!!

Anyway, you guys are trying to minimize Serena Williams serve and return. Serena was in a zone and Maria was doing what she did the entire tourney. If anything the coaching was to serve her well and it could of helped. Unfortunatley, Maria still went back to her old bad habits.

If her served improved after the coaching you people would not be crying about Michale Joyce's coaching. Don't blame Michael blame Maria. If you want to blame someone.

Maria will not win them all. Move on and just chalk it up as Serena being to good. Serena was a 7 slam winner before the final don't act so surprised.

Maria will win more. Sheesh but to sit in here and cry about her training and coaching? Stop acting like she's some punk dainty weakling. Give her some credit. Sheesh already!

kiwifan
Feb 4th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Anybody who believes Maria served for 2 hours the day of the final are bigger idiots than I could imagine!

:worship: :worship: :worship:

only in wtaworld. :devil:

franny
Feb 4th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Um, they said on the air I think that Maria spent a good half hour practicing second serves. I don't think she spent 2 hours.

Dan23
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Actually, for her frame, Henin IS a tank. And it was turning herself into one that made her a GS winner. And Mauresmo was the most muscular player on the tour til a chronic back injury forced her to stop power-lifting. Your point is not wholely without validity, but you picked the wrong two players as examples.You are either a tank or you are not. At 167cm and 57kg I wouldnt call JH a tank.

I certainly wouldn't characterize Sharapova as 'light-framed'. She has a big frame, and in fact, your own last sentence alludes to that. In the last two years, she HAS bulked up considerably. Maybe light 'framed' wasnt the best word but Maria would naturally be lightly built. It has taken her a long time and a lot of work to add to the bulk she has done.

-VSR-
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:11 PM
ESPN2 said, during the AO FINAL, that Sharapova had been practicing her serve/2nd serve for half an hour. They were there, so I believe them over whomever this poster got his information from.

Nice excuse though. :yeah:

MrSerenaWilliams
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:38 PM
2 hours?! :cuckoo: are you FOR REAL?!

Sorry, not buying. Yuri would never do that to his daughter. Besides, ESPN said that they saw her put in a solid 30-45 minutes...I'd take their word. :shrug:

Lulu.
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:42 PM
ESPN2 said, during the AO FINAL, that Sharapova had been practicing her serve/2nd serve for half an hour. They were there, so I believe them over whomever this poster got his information from.

Nice excuse though. :yeah:

Thats excatly what they are. They continue to look for them :rolleyes:

jacobruiz
Feb 5th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Thats excatly what they are. They continue to look for them :rolleyes:

Who exactly is "they"? Maria and her fans are not making excuses. Just because some dweeb started a thread about a fictional serving practice....:rolleyes:

SAEKeithSerena
Feb 5th, 2007, 12:36 AM
oh give me a fuckin' break

nflatte
Feb 5th, 2007, 12:39 AM
It must be an attempt to give an excuse as to why she lost the match...

driger
Feb 5th, 2007, 12:39 AM
2 hours?! :cuckoo: are you FOR REAL?!

Sorry, not buying. Yuri would never do that to his daughter. Besides, ESPN said that they saw her put in a solid 30-45 minutes...I'd take their word. :shrug:

2 hours. they said it last night on the tennis channel during the hingis match. curse them. espn is dumb.

MrSerenaWilliams
Feb 5th, 2007, 12:41 AM
well until there's ONE story, I'm gonna go with the first one :wavey:, but thanks though.

ESPN has more credibilty that Leif Shairas and Katrina Adams :lol:

jacobruiz
Feb 5th, 2007, 12:44 AM

Oh, really?:rolleyes: Like a two hour practice is going to make Maria lose the match; a girl who practices that long and much longer almost every day of her life since she was a little kid.

Lulu.
Feb 5th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Who exactly is "they"? Maria and her fans are not making excuses. Just because some dweeb started a thread about a fictional serving practice....:rolleyes:

Why so defensive? I wasnt referring to Maria or her fans I was talking about the people who keep making up bullshit excuses as to why Serena won the Australian Open. Thank you :rolleyes:

driger
Feb 5th, 2007, 12:48 AM
serena fans sure get defensive easy.

bellascarlett
Feb 5th, 2007, 01:24 AM
serena fans sure get defensive easy.

true. i dunno why ppl are throwing the word 'excuse' around when this (the fact that maria practiced on her serve before the match) was mentioned on espn before the match started iirc.

to say that some are diminishing serena's win is taking this all a bit too far. people need to stop being so sensitive.

Dan23
Feb 5th, 2007, 01:41 AM
yea must be :lol: :unsure:

We watched Maria train for a total of about 45 mins before the final, which also included general hitting and returns of serve. Nothing unusual before any of her AO matches.