PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova was simply outplayed

©@®eLess
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:50 PM
downloaded a 4 min highlights and there's nothing wrong with her. Ivanovic shots were mad..... noone could beat Ivanovic today with that play watch it...and see it yourself

http://www.anaivanovic.com/media/movies/07TPPOAnaShaSF.avi

u cant take that game away from Ana...haters

Pureracket
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:06 PM
Ivanovic reminds me alot of JenCap for some reason.

Cike
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:09 PM
Ana is simply better when she doesn't hava a coach:lol:

UncleZeke
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:11 PM
If there was nothing wrong with Maria, then I'm sure you have an explanation why Maria started the 2nd set by holding serve, before she retired ?

disco_rage
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:13 PM
downloaded a 4 min highlights and there's nothing wrong with her. Ivanovic shots were mad..... noone could beat Ivanovic today with that play watch it...and see it yourself

http://www.anaivanovic.com/media/movies/07TPPOAnaShaSF.avi

u cant take that game away from Ana...haters

Wow yeah 4 minutes tells the story of the match.... HOW the F### do you know there was nothing wrong with Maria???

Chris 84
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:19 PM
I don't dislike Ana, and I far prefer her to Sharapova, but Maria has dropped many sets this year and gone on to win the match. You can say that Ana was playing very well, but who knows what the outcome would have been if Sharapova could have finished the match? :shrug:

Derek.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:21 PM
Maria was struggling with her movement.

Her serve didn't have the usual speed because of her leg.

It's kind of obvious.

It affected her return too as she said in the press conference.

LUXXXAS
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:26 PM
Maria didn't play her game...
and Ana can play a lot better - watch Montreal :)

Sefo
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:27 PM
That's not how Maria usually hit. And not where usually place the ball.

What I've noticed though, is that since awhile everyone plays awfully well against Maria.:rolleyes: Even the unseeded ones start to win sets against her. :rolleyes:
Is the WTA game level suddenly rised:rolleyes: , or it's Maria who's having problems?:rolleyes:

Craigy
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:28 PM
Oh wouldn't you know...It's an Ana fan :lol:
What a surprise :eek:

Orion
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:31 PM

That's a really good call. Her forehand on the run looked so much like Capriati it was eery. They have similar body types. If Ivanovic had a more consistent good backhand, I'd agree 100%. Good eye on that one.

Ballbasher
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:33 PM
4 min? Wow :worship: Maria was injured ;)

cellophane
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:34 PM
I don't know, but her outfit is :hearts:...

LadyLil
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:35 PM
I don't see evidence of any injury. Maria is running, trying to get down to get the low balls Ana was sending her way, and showed what for her is good movement. Is the chair ump new? It doesn't look like Carlos Bernardes - too much hair.

cellophane
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:38 PM
Ana's passing shots are great.

ezekiel
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:45 PM
the match was like 20 minutes . Ana outplayed her and that's because Ana is rising her level while Maria is falling

Greenout
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:51 PM
It's a 4 minute video of Ana's winners. Really difficult to tell much from this on Maria. I would need the entire match with changeovers to understand what really happened.

But there was something very odd and noticeable, and that was Maria standing way behind the baseline receiving for the first game. This is not her style.

trufanjay
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:52 PM
Maria's gonna have to step things up if she wants to get somewhere this year and keep that ranking. Because when Justine and Venus come back she's gonna have some trouble. She should be trying to up her game so that she can be in top form when everyone around her starts to play well.

new-york
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:58 PM
I don't know, but her outfit is :hearts:...

she looked gorgeous, as uz.:hearts:

©@®eLess
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:06 PM
Oh wouldn't you know...It's an Ana fan :lol:
What a surprise :eek:

Oh wouldnt you know its a poster who shouldnt be at this read if not having something smart to say:lol:
What a surprise:eek:

©@®eLess
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:07 PM
I don't see evidence of any injury. Maria is running, trying to get down to get the low balls Ana was sending her way, and showed what for her is good movement. Is the chair ump new? It doesn't look like Carlos Bernardes - too much hair.

exactly. but narrow minded people just cant see that

tobi
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:11 PM
:yawn: :yawn:

franny
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:32 PM
It doesn't ring in your head that an injury is both physical and mental. She may be hitting great shots, but the shots from Sharapova weren't exactly Sharapova-like. They weren't close to the lines, Sharapova's usual footwork wasn't there which allows her to hit great shots and dictate points, her serve wasn't there because she can't push up on the ball, mentally she was more worried about her injury than her opponent, etc. There is more to tennis than bending for shots and running left and right. It's about the little things like the footwork and like the confidence to know that you can run and move without feeling pain. I think all of us who play competitively and consistently know this. These types of threads are useless because we can never know how much an injury affects a player. All we can do is to accept the result, wish good luck to both players, and take nothing away from them. I agree that we should not take anything away from Ivanovic, but people are acting as if Maria is inferior to a player who has ways to go before catching up to her. Maybe on this day she was certainly inferior, as she was physically worse off, mentally worse off, and stroke for stroke not as good. Okay, we can accept that. But there is no need for the constant degrading of Sharapova's game based on one lost, which is the reason why many Sharapova fans are jumping to defend her, even if it seems at times like we are trying to discredit Ivanovic's game. It clearly is not true, and that is not the purpose.

égalité
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:36 PM
Yeah, because she was INJURED.

franny
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:37 PM
the match was like 20 minutes . Ana outplayed her and that's because Ana is rising her level while Maria is falling

Rising her level? Okay, you were also one of the people saying this after Montreal. One would think that you guys have learned your lesson. Why don't you guys WAIT before you make these comments. I know you guys are entitled to your opinion, but it really is an advice more than an insult to you that you seriously wait till Ana has at the very least reached two semifinals in a row before you go saying that she "outplayed sharapova because her levels rising and Maria's is falling." Sharapova just reached a slam final, Ana lost like 3rd round. One tournament means nothing. Make this statement when Ana's beaten the likes of Clijsters, Henin, Williams et al multiple times. Or at the very least wait till Maria's lost in the quarters of a few tournaments.

hablo
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:39 PM

Maybe but JenCap was really speedy though imo. She had better movement around the court.

Craigy
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:45 PM
Oh wouldnt you know its a poster who shouldnt be at this read if not having something smart to say:lol:
What a surprise:eek:

Oh so there are rights now of which threads I can and can't go into now? Because the last time I checked there aren't any threads I shouldn't be at :confused: To be honest your comment wasn't very smart either :)

LudwigDvorak
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:46 PM
I don't see why no one can just accept Ivanovic was able to take advantage of an injured Sharapova. Yeah, Jankovic might have been tired, Sharpie injured, and Shenay Perry and Mara Santangelo not be top 10 players, but she still beat them, regardless of the situation. The scores still stand. 64 62, 46 61 60, 36 64 62, 61 01 ret. She made the final. Like I said before, if this is a fluke, her results later will show it.

Craigy
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:47 PM
exactly. but narrow minded people just cant see that

Yeah there is no way players can be injured :eek: But I guess Ana is an exception to that rule in your case? :D

Craigy
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:48 PM
I don't see why no one can just accept Ivanovic was able to take advantage of an injured Sharapova. Yeah, Jankovic might have been tired, Sharpie injured, and Shenay Perry and Mara Santangelo not be top 10 players, but she still beat them, regardless of the situation. The scores still stand. 64 62, 46 61 60, 36 64 62, 61 01 ret. She made the final. Like I said before, if this is a fluke, her results later will show it.

People have accepted that she took advantange of the situation and beat an INJURED Sharapova, its just some idiots who think Sharapova wasn't even injured :rolleyes:
I'm not even a big fan of Maria, but she is not the type of player who will retire in a match just because she is losing :weirdo:

ezekiel
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:49 PM
Rising her level? Okay, you were also one of the people saying this after Montreal. One would think that you guys have learned your lesson. Why don't you guys WAIT before you make these comments. I know you guys are entitled to your opinion, but it really is an advice more than an insult to you that you seriously wait till Ana has at the very least reached two semifinals in a row before you go saying that she "outplayed sharapova because her levels rising and Maria's is falling." Sharapova just reached a slam final, Ana lost like 3rd round. One tournament means nothing. Make this statement when Ana's beaten the likes of Clijsters, Henin, Williams et al multiple times. Or at the very least wait till Maria's lost in the quarters of a few tournaments.

Don't worry , she is not close to Pova achievements... yet. However her potential is the highest of all the teens including Pova but she has yet to reach that and it's been painful the last year or so. I think coaching decision had significant impact on her play

Yes I was the one to speak up prematurelly then and I learned my lesson, even if she wins the title she has ways to go to convince me that she is on the right track and reaching her potential. I criticized her when she deserved it and right now I have to note that she is serving much better, moving better and striking more fluidly .

ezekiel
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:54 PM
Yeah there is no way players can be injured :eek: But I guess Ana is an exception to that rule in your case? :D

she was not injured ,she could walk and run, hurt maybe and probably a hurt ego but you finnish the match for that:rolleyes:

LudwigDvorak
Feb 4th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Most champions can walk and run when they don't want to lose. I think she just realized she couldn't carry on in an unimportant (for her) tournament.

égalité
Feb 4th, 2007, 12:02 AM
she was not injured ,she could walk and run, hurt maybe and probably a hurt ego but you finnish the match for that:rolleyes:

... :weirdo:

You think Sharapova is the kind of player to quit because she's losing? Have you ever seen her play? Do you know who Maria Sharapova is?

ezekiel
Feb 4th, 2007, 12:18 AM
... :weirdo:

You think Sharapova is the kind of player to quit because she's losing? Have you ever seen her play? Do you know who Maria Sharapova is?

There is first time for everything and she is still young

schorsch
Feb 4th, 2007, 12:26 AM
ya, of course. if you think that maria is a quitter then your brain just quit working. masha is a fighter. she hates losing even the least important points. there's nothing she hates more than that.
but also taking care of ya body is really important and thats why ana had to pull out certain events, too and thats why she doesnt play doubles anymore and kirilenko was left alone and has got to look for somebody else to play with now all the time.

Nicolás89
Feb 4th, 2007, 12:35 AM
i didnt see the match but id never judge any player for retiring in their matches, if maria had to retire is because she was in pain and couldnt fight anymore period

Lulu.
Feb 4th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Maria was injured and not on her game of course Ana outplayed her

©@®eLess
Feb 4th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Oh so there are rights now of which threads I can and can't go into now? Because the last time I checked there aren't any threads I shouldn't be at :confused: To be honest your comment wasn't very smart either :)

at your first post you said nothing about tennis...just to be rude...and i dont see a point of putting it up...unless u want to make a fool out of yourself which you did.

I never said Ana is better then Maria. But today she was. If Maria was injuredwhy did she start the match. Its not like she injured herself during match. Some of you say her return wasn't good. How can it be good when Ana is serving aces!!!!! Ana was too good today. She may suck tomorrow but at given match she was better and that what counts. To tell you the truth at their last match Ana was out of form and still managed to lose it close 57 67....so you cant really say Maria is way way way better then Ana...its not like she baggeled her or something. Maria is number one, and Ana isnt but today Ana WAS better and no matter what you're all trying to say...Maria was outplayed. Ana's shots were on fire...and any player with that kind of agressive play would be outplayed today...not just Maria..even your untouchable Serena.... You'll start your same crap again...i know...cause you are narrowminded. I said the way she played TODAY!!!!!!!!!

©@®eLess
Feb 4th, 2007, 01:20 AM
And if you check thread Ana- Vania King at AO....eventhough Ana won 62 60- i said her game was terrible which prove right at Zvonareva match. She lacked power, accuracy and serve. She is inconsistent...which prove right today...cause she was on fire. So i'm not like you saying all the best about my fave player. I accept both good and bad play. I never attacked any player..like most of you did on Ana after her loss to Zvonareva. Some of you just see your fave as untouchable....and oh boy how a loss can hurt then.

jamatthews
Feb 4th, 2007, 01:22 AM
If Sharapova retired just because she was getting outplayed, Groenefeld's career could have been very different...;)

©@®eLess
Feb 4th, 2007, 01:22 AM
Maria was injured and not on her game of course Ana outplayed her

and Jelena was tired, and Mara had tight panties, and Shenay didnt put her favorite creme on her hands.....yeah yeah...i know those stories

StZox
Feb 4th, 2007, 02:32 AM
I am SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII ICK of hearing that every time Ana plays AWESOME, people say it is because another player played bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stop IT and give the girl some credit, will ya!!!!!!
Only people who saw the entire match can tell that Ana played like a machine. She hit impossible shots and she could beat everyone today.

faboozadoo15
Feb 4th, 2007, 03:44 AM
There is first time for everything and she is still young

you're a joke.

first time for everything? you think she changed her entire ideaology and her mindset of tennis in general because ana is just too good? get real...

DOUBLEFIST
Feb 4th, 2007, 03:45 AM
Ana looked GREAT! Sharapova didn't look that much different to me than she did at the AO, but she did spray a couple of balls that she shouldn't have and would have allowed her to take control of the point. I didn't SEE any evidence of injury- particularly on her serve- but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. Also, I'd like to see more of the match. That's a great highlight reel for Ana :lol: She looked very tough.

Dementieva Guts
Feb 4th, 2007, 03:58 AM

You're right. Some player want to play with pain, some don't. You can't teach that, it's about how willing a player is to compete against adversity. Everytime a player withdraws within a match, it just smells wrong

driger
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:02 AM
well i guess ana is being simply outplayed tonight.

DOUBLEFIST
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:09 AM
No. I think there's something wrong with Ana hamstring.;)

Derek.
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:17 AM
:lol:

serenafan08
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:40 AM
Perhaps Maria really is hurt...:shrug:

lecciones
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:50 AM
I think she couldnt play without her serve 100% look what happened to her last two matches - 3 setters. I guess Sharapova quit because her thighs were such an important part of her game :P

Lulu.
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Ana was simply outplayed by Hingis. Shame she couldnt get lucky twice

lecciones
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:02 AM
Hingis was playing well. :P Ana really had no chance during the second set, she was looking lost from what people said in the hingis chatroom!

pooh14
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:29 AM
ok, according to some here, maria was outplayed...

i seriously do not see why must we be worried for maria?

maria obviously wasn't feeling her best yesterday. besides, every now and then,players get outplayed for a match.

at the end of the day, one or 2 match doesnt say anything. please look at the whole career.

DOUBLEFIST
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Hingis was playing well. :P Ana really had no chance during the second set, she was looking lost from what people said in the hingis chatroom!

relax, I was joking in my previous post. Hence the ;)

franny
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Don't worry , she is not close to Pova achievements... yet. However her potential is the highest of all the teens including Pova but she has yet to reach that and it's been painful the last year or so. I think coaching decision had significant impact on her play

Yes I was the one to speak up prematurelly then and I learned my lesson, even if she wins the title she has ways to go to convince me that she is on the right track and reaching her potential. I criticized her when she deserved it and right now I have to note that she is serving much better, moving better and striking more fluidly .

Listen, I am really happy for other players and their fans when they do well. But you said that it's painful what it's been the last year or so for you fans of Ana, then really it isn't right to kick another player and their fans when they are down since you know how it feels? I just think it's not right, if you don't want people to bag on your player when they are at a low, to bad on other players when they may be a low point. Anyways, best of luck to Ana in her future tournaments, and I hope that for the sake of tennis she continues to improve and fulfills the potential that you guys see.

Dexter
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:31 AM
I wish some Ana-fans calm down and stop giving her bad name. :(

excitement1995
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:59 AM
4 minutes of highlight isn't too short, considering it's only one quick set. In tennis matches, the ball is on the play for only a very small part of the entire duration. For most of the time, players walk, bounce the ball and so on. I'm really impressed by Ana's performance.

It's a 4 minute video of Ana's winners. Really difficult to tell much from this on Maria. I would need the entire match with changeovers to understand what really happened.

But there was something very odd and noticeable, and that was Maria standing way behind the baseline receiving for the first game. This is not her style.

Buitenzorg
Feb 4th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Ana = JenCap :kiss:

Buitenzorg
Feb 4th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Maria looks fine to me, she was embarrased to lost to Ana, I reckon!

Adal
Feb 4th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Just watch their match in Linz.. Ana played like she did in this match, but Sharapova wasn't injured.. You all know result :)

Dan23
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:12 AM
You're right. Some player want to play with pain, some don't. You can't teach that, it's about how willing a player is to compete against adversity. Everytime a player withdraws within a match, it just smells wrong
http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/6753/98321142018753ud1.jpg
Maria played through pain for nearly 12 months with an undiagnosed displaced rib....get your facts straight.

Dementieva Guts
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Maria played through pain for nearly 12 months with an undiagnosed displaced rib....get your facts straight.

I'm just saying that she plays through "pain" when she wants to. I got the feeling that she has tendancy to quit when things goes wrong.

Serge007
Feb 4th, 2007, 09:33 AM
I got the feeling that she has tendancy to quit when things goes wrong.
what's tendency? it's wrong felling. she quit twice per her carrier.

Shimizu Amon
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:05 AM
It's quite obvious Masha was injured. It happens when you're playing top sport on this high of a level.

Only someone who doesn't know this much of the sport would've started this thread.

You can't be sure what would've been the outcome if Masha would've been healthy. It could have gone both ways. But a healthy and an on form Masha is very hard to beat.

Emina.
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:07 AM

i remember this nightmare so well :sad:

Masha:hug: get well soon..Dubai is waiting for you ;) :)

Shimizu Amon
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:07 AM

Let it go! You're talking to a brick wall here ;)
You can say all you want to a certain kind of people, they're not going to believe you, because they just want to stay in their own little world called 'denying the facts'.
We Masha fans know better and besides that some people on this forum are just not worth your time.

©@®eLess
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Ana was simply outplayed by Hingis. Shame she couldnt get lucky twice

really i thought Ana was injured...:rolleyes:

1.She didnt move right:rolleyes:
2.She didnt play deep :rolleyes:
3.Was "invisibly" limping
4.But played till the end and didnt want to "retire":rolleyes:

You're either 14 years old or remarkably stupid and ignorant