PDA

View Full Version : How bad is it to drink by yourself?

The_Pov
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:39 PM
Ok so this guy that I was kind of seeing was actually seeing another girl behind my back and I've just got into a fight with my housemates, who are going out. All my friends are either out or busy working, and there is a box of wine with my name on in the fridge.

Would it be wrong to drink myself silly tonight?

I really just need reasurance that it's fine, not sympathy, so it would really help if you just vote that it's ok!

CooCooCachoo
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:50 PM
Yes. It makes no sense and it won't help to make you feel better :hug:

RenaSlam.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:50 PM
No, drink as much as you want...:)

ampers&
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:51 PM
yes, it'd be wrong.
instead of dealing with your issues like an adult, you resort to drinking the pain away. first sign of alcohol dependency. you start doing it now, you'll do it whenever things get a little rocky.
go for a walk or something instead...or rent a movie.
anything but get wasted.

Crazy Canuck
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:52 PM
It might relax you. It depends how much you're looking to drink.

The_Pov
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:52 PM
Yes. It makes no sense and it won't help to make you feel better :hug:

I know but it will make me feel better now! I hate being alone and there's no one here

No, drink as much as you want...:)

Thanks

drake3781
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:53 PM
yes, it'd be wrong.
instead of dealing with your issues like an adult, you resort to drinking the pain away. first sign of alcohol dependency. you start doing it now, you'll do it whenever things get a little rocky.
anything but get wasted.

But isn't she like one of the most spoiled people on this board? Maybe she doesn't know how to do those things or they are too hard? :confused:

The_Pov
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:54 PM
It might relax you. It depends how much you're looking to drink.

I'm planning on getting rat arsed - that box has 4 bottles worth of wine in it!

Oh and I've started!

The_Pov
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:56 PM
yes, it'd be wrong.
anything but get wasted.

I gonna watch a movie too, this is the first and only time I'm gonna do something like this

CooCooCachoo
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:56 PM
I know but it will make me feel better now! I hate being alone and there's no one here

That is a potential short-term happiness that could potentially lead to long-term unhappiness.

I understand that you feel like crap, but it's better to eat a bucket of ice cream or something than to actually use any substances that are that addictive.

ampers&
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:59 PM
...this is the first and only time I'm gonna do something like this
i'm sure many alcoholics have said the same thing. :lol:
but you've made up you mind to get fucked already, so there's really nothing that anyone can say to persuade you to deal with your issues differently.

good luck with everything though. ;)

Wigglytuff
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:59 PM
having glass of wine with a meal is fine. even if one is alone.

however drinking BECAUSE one is pain or otherwise unhappy is ALWAYS (yes even once) a bad idea even if it is just one tiny glass of wine or beer.

The_Pov
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:01 PM
but you've made up you mind to get fucked already, so there's really nothing that anyone can say to persuade you to deal with your issues differently.

Thank you for being so understanding, but if I do become an alchoholic one day I'll pm you and apologise!

Wigglytuff
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:01 PM

Oh and I've started!

ouch, yeah that is bad bad bad bad!!! :sad: :sad: :sad:

~Eclipsed~
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:05 PM
DON'T DRINK BY YOURSELF!

Alcohol is a depressant and being by yourself won't help matters. I already tried committing suicide once when i was drunk after a night of drinking with my friends because drinking only made the problems i had seem worse.

If you lived closer you sure as hell would be able to go out with me tonight!:sad:

Not to sound shallow, but why don't you go out anyway. You're REALLY hot, i don't think anyone will mind if you randomly walk into a party(if you're still in college). If not i'm sure if you go to the bar you might some people you know or you could always try to be friendly with some people there and have a good time. That's definitely depending on the bar though.

But like the other poster said i guess there isn't much of a reason to discuss this further. Sounds like you already made up your mind.:help:

<!Society!>
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:06 PM
if you were gonna go to the pub alone that would be a bit weird,

but if theres wine in the fridge its askin to be drunk. go for it

The_Pov
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:08 PM
DON'T DRINK BY YOURSELF!

Alcohol is a depressant and being by yourself won't help matters. I already tried committing suicide once when i was drunk after a night of drinking with my friends because drinking only made the problems i had seem worse.

If you lived closer you sure as hell would be able to go out with me tonight!:sad:

Not to sound shallow, but why don't you go out anyway. You're REALLY hot, i don't think anyone will mind if you randomly walk into a party(if you're still in college). If not i'm sure if you go to the bar you might some people you know or you could always try to be friendly with some people there and have a good time. That's definitely depending on the bar though.

But like the other poster said i guess there isn't much of a reason to discuss this further. Sounds like you already made up your mind.:help:

That's a good idea, I might go out to a club later, I'll probably see how I feel later after I watch "how to lose a guy in 10 days"

~Eclipsed~
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:12 PM
That's a good idea, I might go out to a club later, I'll probably see how I feel later after I watch "how to lose a guy in 10 days"

ok sounds good.:)

I'm not saying you would, but i just don't want to see you doing anything stupid like i did.

Joana
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:27 PM
Once in a while I drink a glass of wine by myself when I'm feeling stressed out and need to relax and I don't think it's pathetic at all.
What's pathetic is to get wasted all alone every time you get pissed off over something. Or for no reason whatsoever.

cellophane
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:32 PM
Because of a guy? Totally not worth it. Don't do it.

!<blocparty>!
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:46 PM
I'm sorry to hear your BF cheated on you. I wonder why. :sad:

You should go drive around in your BMW, pick up some hot guys and charge youself a little happy on the visa. :D

Stamp Paid
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:52 PM
Once in a while I drink a glass of wine by myself when I'm feeling stressed out and need to relax and I don't think it's pathetic at all.
What's pathetic is to get wasted all alone every time you get pissed off over something. Or for no reason whatsoever.

Yeah.

Monica_Rules
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:57 PM
If you do it once, i think its ok. You seem to have a logical reason for doing it so no biggy.

Just don't do it all the time and you wont be no alki.

daniela86
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:59 PM
The Pov :awww: :hug: I'm sorry to hear it :hug:
Well there are surely many better ways to get over it but I don't think drinking when you are sad is that bad if it happens only once in a while (and not every week :o) .Still,4 bottles is a bit too much if you are not used to drinking that much,beware coz you may feel very bad as alcohol can be dangerous.
Anyway, good luck and hope you get over him soon :hug:

Joana
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:03 PM
And if you're going to drink all that much you're most likely to throw up afterwards and there'd be nobody to clean it.

~Eclipsed~
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:07 PM
:haha: that's a unique way of looking at it.

Vincey!
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:36 PM
No...drink tonight and think or talk with someone tomorrow ;)...you have to forget it for the moment....and if you can watch a funny movie or old cartoon in the same time...it will be even funnier

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 4th, 2007, 12:05 AM

It's a box of wine not vodka.
How wasted is she gonna get?

I have a little drink now and then to lighten up (usually just a screwdriver or fuzzy navel).
I doubt I'll be an alcoholic because I find it quite disgusting most of the time unless I have my pussy drinks.

She's not on the road to alcoholism.
That's like saying everyone who smokes weed is going to do crystal meth at some point.

kiwifan
Feb 4th, 2007, 02:48 AM
You're only allowed to drink to the point of "shitfacedness" alone if you're watching sports. :drink: Like when no one wants to stay up all night with me watching New Zealand Rugby live on my computer. :tape:

No "sad" drinking.

Only "happy" drinking, when alone, is allowed.

Barrie_Dude
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:28 AM
Ok so this guy that I was kind of seeing was actually seeing another girl behind my back and I've just got into a fight with my housemates, who are going out. All my friends are either out or busy working, and there is a box of wine with my name on in the fridge.

I really just need reasurance that it's fine, not sympathy, so it would really help if you just vote that it's ok!
1 night is not bad. It is when you find yourself doing every night you have to worry!

suffer well
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:02 PM
I think its the worst. I drink by myself all the time now. I hit the bottle regularly Most likely because Im Billynomates. I used to go to the pub but not anymore. I think if you drink at home its mainly due to depression and loneliness and besides if you drink alone you drink more...binge drinking, especially at home...I would tell younger kids not to touch it..its not worth it

meyerpl
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Alcohol is the cause of, and the solution to most of life's problems.

Seriously, the important thing isn't when, where and with whom you drink, but rather why, how much and how it affects you.

People who are unable to manage drinking in their lives often demonize alcohol.

One man, when asked how he feels about alcohol replied, "If you mean the stuff that ruins lives, fractures families and kills people, I deplore it; if you mean the stuff that induces relaxation, stimulates conversation and enlivens celebrations, I adore it."

The question about drinking alone is a highly personal one and there is no one-size-fits-all answer.

I enjoy occasionally going out cross-country skiing on a frozen, wilderness lake with my dog and a half-pint of schnapps. I listen to music, get a good deal of excercise, enjoy watching my dog run through the snow, revel in the fresh air, appreciate the scenery and catch a warm glow from the schnapps by the time I've finished. I'm drinking alone; is that a problem?

**Jelica**
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:44 PM
There's nothing wrong with having one drink on your own, just as there's nothing wrong with having a coffee on your own. But getting smashed by yourself indicates depression.

No Name Face
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:55 PM
yes, it'd be wrong.
anything but get wasted.

agreed. and i love to drink.

¤CharlDa¤
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Drinking alone is ok. Getting drunk alone isn't.

When I arrive from that hell of a chemistry lab every week, I do myself a cosmo. I feel like I deserve it to relax.

But drinking cause you feel depressed and planning to get drunk for me is asking for trouble.

suffer well
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:08 PM

When I arrive from that hell of a chemistry lab every week, I do myself a cosmo. I feel like I deserve it to relax.

But drinking cause you feel depressed and planning to get drunk for me is asking for trouble.

Thats the main problem. Most people drink to get drunk

BTW I love your avatar :)

G1Player2
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:11 PM

Yeah, I completely agree. But I don't drink when I am depressed moreso when I am pissed like right now. Someone totally fucking pissed me off this morning and I am still reeling over it. I have a half pint of Jack Daniels but I don't drink during the day, sooooooo...

But like you said about the chemistry lab, if you do something noteworthy or something that gives you a sense of accomplishment, then I see nothing wrong with having a couple drinks by yourself but getting drunk alone is another story. :tape:

Just Do It
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:27 PM
no :shrug:

NyCPsU
Feb 4th, 2007, 07:38 PM
unfortunately this is how a majority of people deal with their problems today
one of my best friends here at school was just dumped by his gf a few nights ago and this weekend all he wanted to do was in his words "not be able to remember my name"
its a temporary release from the pain, but when you come through not only is the problem still there but your going to have a major headache to top it off
i know its too late and that youve done it already, and my friend is still in his bed right now at 330pm, but i wish people wouldnt always resort to alcohol to help them get through things simply because it is what is "expected of you to do"

controlfreak
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Just ask yourself "WWMD?" (What Would Maria Do?)

So you should probably clench your little fists, let out a piercing scream, and then call up Daddy for advice.

Kart
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:24 PM

Don't bother to drink it.

Find the guy who's been cheating on you and crack the bottle open over his head.

That's what I'd do.

Kart
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Oh I'm 24 hours too late.

All is not lost though, you can use an empty bottle with probably the same effect.

Crazy Canuck
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:42 PM

Oh and I've started!

I can't say I've never done it, so I won't be one to judge here.

Mind you, last time I did it I just met some other asshole who used me for something else, so now I'm back to square one and this time I'm not touching booze to recover.

Hope it works out better for you :p

Crazy Canuck
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:44 PM
That is a potential short-term happiness that could potentially lead to long-term unhappiness.

I understand that you feel like crap, but it's better to eat a bucket of ice cream or something than to actually use any substances that are that addictive.

Overeating is an unhealthy coping mechanism too, you know ;)

austennis
Feb 4th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Lol its not good.. but if its wat helps u personlly thats ur choice

Mr_Molik
Feb 5th, 2007, 02:13 AM
tap that goon babe!

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 5th, 2007, 02:16 AM
tap that goon babe!

:haha:

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 5th, 2007, 02:20 AM
:scratch: I wonder how she is doing :shrug: She is probobly sleeping off her deadly hangover :spit:

416_Man
Feb 5th, 2007, 02:21 AM
pathetic.

Brett.
Feb 5th, 2007, 03:13 AM
I think its bad if you drink it by yourself in South America, and its because they have secrets take drug into someone's drink without you knowing it! So that's a problem is only in South America!

PamShriverRockz
Feb 5th, 2007, 07:22 PM
I might have the odd night cap on my own. But then I'm old. :p

The_Pov
Feb 8th, 2007, 11:35 PM
I'm totally ashamed but drinking all that wine was a stupid thing to do. I didn't want to admit it but it just messed things up so much. It was a mistake I had to make and will never happen again.

I ended up going out by myself, and then ended up somehow at my lecturers house, nothing happened I know but it's gonna be awkward next time I see him. I just hope he doesn't know who I am!

fnuf7
Feb 9th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Well I'm currently on my own and have been enjoying both wine and brandy :yeah: I wasn't entirely on my own for all the drinking earlier in the evening but the older folks left early so I just continued on my own ;)

In all seriousness though, I don't think there is a problem with drinking on your own it just depends on when you're drinking, why you're drinking and how often, not whether you are on your own or with others etc.

meyerpl
Feb 9th, 2007, 12:47 AM
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Frank Sinatra

tennismaster8820
Feb 9th, 2007, 12:54 AM
I could never drink by myself, even though I drink usually!
But I guess it's ok to do it a couple of times only!
I hope I'll never drink alone!

meyerpl
Feb 9th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Is drinking with a severed head considered drinking alone? Technically, I don't think it is, especially if you talk to it.

meyerpl
Feb 10th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Is it drinking alone if you have multiple personalities?

suffer well
Feb 10th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Is it drinking alone if you have multiple personalities?

Dont give up your day job....

meyerpl
Feb 10th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Dont give up your day job....
A homicidal pedophile and a little boy are walking through the woods together in the dark, when the little boy says, "I'm scared." The homicidal pedophile replies, "You think you're scared, I have to walk back.....alone!"

suffer well
Feb 10th, 2007, 05:49 PM
A homicidal pedophile and a little boy are walking through the woods together in the dark, when the little boy says, "I'm scared." The homicidal pedophile replies, "You think you're scared, I have to walk back.....alone!"

:lol: Heard it. Only when I heard it the homicidal paedophile was Ian Brady/Myra Hindley...

Why do you think I'd like sick jokes like this? ;)

meyerpl
Feb 10th, 2007, 05:55 PM
:lol: Heard it. Only when I heard it the homicidal paedophile was Ian Brady/Myra Hindley...

Why do you think I'd like sick jokes like this? ;)
I don't know, maybe because your user name is off-beat.

suffer well
Feb 10th, 2007, 05:57 PM

Back on topic. I heard this the other day when I called into have a few drinks on the way home from work....

Two necrophiliacs are at work in the morgue. One of them turns to the other and says, "You should have seen this woman they brought in last week. They pulled her out of the water after she'd been there for three weeks. Man, I'm tellin' you, her clit was just like a pickle."

"What," the other asks, "green?".

"No," says the first, " a bit sour."

suffer well
Feb 10th, 2007, 06:01 PM

Many beers later I heard this one....

Man goes to the doctor and says "I've got a huge hole in my ass"

The doctors says "drop your pants, bend over and let have a look".

"Fuck me!!" says the doctor " what could have made a hole as big as that?"

Patient replies I've been fucked by an elephant".

The doctor says "An elephants penis is long and thin, this hole is enormous".

Patient replies "He fingered me first".

V-MAC
Feb 10th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Nice to see a lot of people on this board have a responsible attitude towards alcohol :)

meyerpl
Feb 10th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Back on topic. I heard this the other day when I called into have a few drinks on the way home from work....

Two necrophiliacs are at work in the morgue. One of them turns to the other and says, "You should have seen this woman they brought in last week. They pulled her out of the water after she'd been there for three weeks. Man, I'm tellin' you, her clit was just like a pickle."

"What," the other asks, "green?".

"No," says the first, " a bit sour."

Ouch! Not bad!

Two homosexual necrophiliacs are walking past the morgue when one says to the other, "Say, you want to stop and suck a couple of cold ones?"