PDA

View Full Version : Will Elena D be out of the top 10 in a few months ?

MisterMan
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:22 PM
:(
I'm afraid so...

Did anyone do the math yet ?

selyoink
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:23 PM
The way she has been playing recently would suggest she is not a top 10 player anymore.

But I think if she does fall out after Indian Wells she can make it back in. She will always be streaky and have really good results and some less than stellar results.

Viktymise
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:25 PM
Even if she goes out, players like Vaidisova, Jankovic have themselves periods this years where they have tons of points to defend so she will have chances to get back in, but i honestly don't think she is gonna go out, its a big overly exhagerrated i think

UDACHi
this is like the 500th thread on this in the past few months.

No Name Face
yes. i dont see her coming back if he leaves. :sad:

MisterMan
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:27 PM
this is like the 500th thread on this in the past few months.

Some of us don't have 13,000 posts and live on this board morning noon and night, therefore we miss a lot of posts.
I'll be more diligent next time before i ask a simple question.

UDACHi
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:31 PM
Some of us don't have 13,000 posts and live on this board morning noon and night, therefore we miss a lot of posts.

i don't have 13,000 posts OR sit on the board morning, noon, and night. :lol:

and you don't have to to see some of the threads. there's got to have been at least one every week.

LudwigDvorak
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:35 PM
Let's look in the past. In 2004, she started the year 3-4 until Miami. She won five matches there, losing in the final. 8-5. She lost four more times until RG with one more victory. 9-9. Then, six matches at RG, 15-10. Then the rest of the year she became much more consistent.

I think a 6-3 start to the year, for a recognizably slow starter, is decent. It's not the 14-4 start she had last year, but she almost always has a bad start to the year. From the grass season through the US Open series, that's where she often gets most of her points, and she always does well in Moscow.

When she starts losing in three or four consecutive first or second rounds, then everyone should get worried. She did end 2006 like that, but nothing like that this year so far.

Even if she does get out of the top 10 it's not the end of the world. Everyone eventually leaves, and nearly four years in the top 10 is a great achievement.

trufanjay
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:40 PM
Dementieva will be out soon. Her case is really sad though. Her hitting ability is very good but that serve is one of the worse on the tour. Her groundstrokes have gotten her far but this is the end of the road for her unless something changes. Jankovic is stepping up, Vaidisova is also. And Serena will be in the top ten very soon. There won't be room for her anymore. And don't be surprised if Venus, Ivanovic or Peer start to knock on the top 10 door during the summer. That's if Venus stays healthy and Ivanovic and Peer keep making good runs in big events. Elena has already overstayed her welcome in the top 10. But if she can start playing well again then maybe she can stay there a little longer.

Wayn77
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:41 PM
For you older ElenaD fans, looking at the last 4 years: has she had a worse run of form, or put it another way: looked so unconvincing as she has done in the last 6 months since the LA win? A new coach perhaps.

Tenis Srbija
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:45 PM
I think so :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:

MisterMan
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:48 PM
i don't have 13,000 posts OR sit on the board morning, noon, and night. :lol:

and you don't have to to see some of the threads. there's got to have been at least one every week.

oh sorry. 12,967. I was SOOO off on my count. I bet you'll have 13000 by tonight.

By the way I'm being scolded for exaggerating from the person who said there was 500 threads on this already :confused: :lol:

miffedmax
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:52 PM
She has had some rocky times before, like '02 as I recall, and there were patches in '05 that were very similar to the way she's playing.

She is historically a bit of a slow starter, even in her good years. I think if she falls out she won't fall too far. A couple good runs and she could be back in.

I really think she needs a coach, though. I think she has a window of about two years.

UncleZeke
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:02 PM
She isn't getting a new coach, so she is unlikely to improve her serve, the only aspect of her game that is holding her back, so she isn't going to get any better. Too many good, young, hungry and improving girls right behind her and of course, Serena. She will fall out of top 10 before the end of year.
Big fan of hers, just giving my honest opinion.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:07 PM
She isn't getting a new coach, so she is unlikely to improve her serve, the only aspect of her game that is holding her back, so she isn't going to get any better. Too many good, young, hungry and improving girls right behind her and of course, Serena. She will fall out of top 10 before the end of year.
Big fan of hers, just giving my honest opinion.

Young players in WTA are not good like the ATP youngsters (Murray-Djokovic-Baghdatis-Gasquet) , so I'm not worried about the wta teens (Jankovic- Peer-Chaky-Ivanovic) with the exception of Vaidisova

<!Society!>
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:09 PM

very true

ZListCelebrity
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:12 PM
She has a bf now and she doesn't have a top 10 game anymore so I don't think she cares much about staying in top 10... Maybe it has sinked in that she'll never win a slam.

disco_rage
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:18 PM
Nah Elena will be fine, she'll come back strong..

nsquare
Feb 4th, 2007, 03:33 AM
she may fall out of the top 10 but she will get back in before the end of the year.

mboyle
Feb 4th, 2007, 03:39 AM
Here's my analysis of everything:

We have ten spots in the top ten.

Sharapova's not going anywhere
Henin's not going anywhere
Mauresmo is going to fall back to the 6 or 7 range, but she's not going to sit at like no. 12 or anything.
Clijsters is not going anywhere.
Hingis is only going up and getting better, she won't be out of the top ten.
Vaidisova has a legitimate shot at top five this year. Her game is tied with Serena as the biggest on tour (Serena controls it better and has a plan B, however, but still...) Nikki isn't going to fall out of the top ten.
Serena seems like a sure bet to reenter the top ten.

That's seven top ten positions pretty much locked up. Fighting for the remaining three, we have:

Kuznetsova
Petrova
Dementieva
Schnyder
Safina
Ivanovic
Golovin
Peer
Li
Molik
Jankovic

If I had to bet, I'd bet one of the Russians would fall out and either Ivanovic or Jankovic or Molik would end up top ten. Ivanovic especially has a very imposing game. People with her game don't linger around at no. 15 forever. Top ten, for her, is a matter of when, not if. I think it is going to happen this year, and one of the Russians will fall out. Game-wise, Dementieva does have the weakest game. By contrast, she is mentally the strongest and probably the most consistent. I think she will stay top ten, but it is by no means guaranteed.

LudwigDvorak
Feb 4th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Dementieva's game, I think, is better than Safina's, but that's largely attributed to the clear differences in their mental fortitude and Safina's inexperience. Safina literally is just a ball-wacker, Dementieva's got a few more dimensions, but I love both and all, just saying.

I would figure Kuzzie is basically a guarantee for top 10. Why don't you think so?

iPatty
Feb 4th, 2007, 03:55 AM
no.
if she does fall out, i think she can make it back in.

iPatty
Feb 4th, 2007, 03:57 AM
Dementieva's game, I think, is better than Safina's, but that's largely attributed to the clear differences in their mental fortitude and Safina's inexperience. Safina literally is just a ball-wacker, Dementieva's got a few more dimensions, but I love both and all, just saying.

I would figure Kuzzie is basically a guarantee for top 10. Why don't you think so?

you think safina is more one-dimensional than dementieva?
i'd beg to differ.

dinara often hits loopy groundstrokes to throw off her opponents rhythm.
one of lena's weaknesses is that she just hits the same ball over and over again.

ZListCelebrity
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:08 AM
I predict Kuznetsova losing very early at RG.

mboyle
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:09 AM

Kuzy's ranking was basically two tournaments: Miami and the French Open. Take away that and she was barely top ten last year...barely. She lost badly to Peer this year. I think she's too streaky to be a top ten lock.

MisterMan
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:40 AM
i guess it all depends on who has what points to DEFEND this year.
Players with the 8-10 ranking and also have tons of points to defend (or won a tournament) will be most vulnerable to drop out. those with little to defend have a better chance of staying put.

Dementieva Guts
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Dementieva falling outside top 10 ? The american spring season (IW-beach-amelia and charleston) will tell something. She has some quality pts to defend there... I think so?

But I heard her not so far ago that she want to put a lot of energy and commitment to this year clay season.

After all, she's, in my book, too much of an all court player to fall back in the rankings. (a 4th rounder GS and tier 1 sf: ain't so bad)

PLP
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Here's my analysis of everything:

We have ten spots in the top ten.

Sharapova's not going anywhere
Henin's not going anywhere
Mauresmo is going to fall back to the 6 or 7 range, but she's not going to sit at like no. 12 or anything.
Clijsters is not going anywhere.
Hingis is only going up and getting better, she won't be out of the top ten.
Vaidisova has a legitimate shot at top five this year. Her game is tied with Serena as the biggest on tour (Serena controls it better and has a plan B, however, but still...) Nikki isn't going to fall out of the top ten.
Serena seems like a sure bet to reenter the top ten.

That's seven top ten positions pretty much locked up. Fighting for the remaining three, we have:

Kuznetsova
Petrova
Dementieva
Schnyder
Safina
Ivanovic
Golovin
Peer
Li
Molik
Jankovic

If I had to bet, I'd bet one of the Russians would fall out and either Ivanovic or Jankovic or Molik would end up top ten. Ivanovic especially has a very imposing game. People with her game don't linger around at no. 15 forever. Top ten, for her, is a matter of when, not if. I think it is going to happen this year, and one of the Russians will fall out. Game-wise, Dementieva does have the weakest game. By contrast, she is mentally the strongest and probably the most consistent. I think she will stay top ten, but it is by no means guaranteed.

Good analysis! :)