PDA

View Full Version : Racism in Russia and other slavic countries

Sam L
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:22 AM
I used to be interested in Russia but now there are too many reports of racism against foreigners in Russia (particularly like against blacks and asians and even against white people like Germans!) and that it is just simply on the rise all the time. What do you guys think about this? I said before I think it's because the country is poor. Is it like this in other neighbouring slavic countries too? It just seems to me that Russia is now a fairly backward country. If there is any European country that has nationalism as its problem, that's Russia.

To think that I wanted to learn Russian once which of course would've meant I would've had to go live in Russia. :scared: What do you guys think?

Lord Nelson
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:42 PM
why only Russia and slavic republics? What about racism in central asian republics like Turkmenistan where non Turkmenis are discriminated against. The danger with these reports is that you think that racism is exclusively in russia and other slavs whereas it is widespread throughout the USSR.

And racism is also found in Kosovo. Though he did say Slav which includes Croats and Bosniaks so he is right about that. But once again it is not just slavic republics so I hope that the author is not anti Slav.

Sam L
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:16 PM
why only Russia and slavic republics? What about racism in central asian republics like Turkmenistan where non Turkmenis are discriminated against. The danger with these reports is that you think that racism is exclusively in russia and other slavs whereas it is widespread throughout the USSR.

And racism is also found in Kosovo. Though he did say Slav which includes Croats and Bosniaks so he is right about that. But once again it is not just slavic republics so I hope that the author is not anti Slav.

I'm specifically talking about Russia because I used to be interested in Russia and wanted to learn Russian.

One of the major contributors of racism and prejudice like this is because of poverty in a country. Like in Russia. And I asked whether this was happening in other slavic countries also where there is economic struggle like yes Balkan states for example.

random fan
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:28 PM
Well racial differences in Eastern Europe and Russia are not a taboo as it is in Western countries. And most of people who are tolerant to other races, doesn't try to avoid racial comments at any cost and are sometimes somewhat what you would call being careless in that department. But they are in no way openly aggresive except minor part of marginals that I guess exists in every country. One drawback however is that this society is pretty tolerant towards those agressive marginals and their beliefs as well

No Name Face
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:01 PM
i used to be obsessed with russia, but i'd never go there. too scared of being shot or something.

G1Player2
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:05 PM
My brother was telling me the other day that Russians didn't like blacks but I took it wih a grain of salt. Must be true.

Infiniti2001
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:06 PM
I posted articles about the blatant racism particularly in Russia, but no one was interested :eek: Since then many African nationals ,an Indian and a bi-racial kid have been killed by racists. What's so appalling is the fact that cops turn a blind eye to these crimes :help:

G1Player2
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:07 PM
I posted articles about the blatant racism particularly in Russia, but no one was interested :eek: Since then many African nationals ,an Indian and a bi-racial kid have been killed by racists. What's so appalling is the fact that cops turn a blind eye to these crimes :help:

Do you have a link?

No Name Face
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:10 PM
My brother was telling me the other day that Russians didn't like blacks but I took it wih a grain of salt. Must be true.

i've heard the same.
i don't really take it seriously though, although it may be ingrained into their culture or something.

G1Player2
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:15 PM
Most of the Russians I have met here in Cali have been cool though. However, in high school this Russian girl told me how when she first came to America when she was like 5, she saw a bunch of black people swimming in the pool and said she didn't know what they were because she had never seen black people before. She said she was scared but her best friend in HS was black so obviously she got over that fear.

Infiniti2001
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:16 PM
Do you have a link?

I don't think the search option works here, but you can goggle it. Here's a link from Moscow news http://www.mosnews.com/news/2006/09/25/studentkilled.shtml

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,6119,2-10-1462_1910551,00.html

G1Player2
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:21 PM
I don't think the search option works here, but you can goggle it. Here's a link from Moscow news http://www.mosnews.com/news/2006/09/25/studentkilled.shtml

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,6119,2-10-1462_1910551,00.html

:eek: I am NEVER going to Russia. That really pisses me off. :fiery:

CooCooCachoo
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:37 PM
To think that I wanted to learn Russian once which of course would've meant I would've had to go live in Russia. :scared: What do you guys think?

How does studying Russian necessitate living in Russia?

égalité
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:02 PM
Well, learn Russian anyway. Eto krasiviy yazyk.

Just Do It
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:35 PM
Well my parents are visiting Russia every year and they didnt have problems at all :shrug:

I think Russia is great country, Russian laguage is also great :yeah: I learn Russian for about 4 years .... and it is very easy, actually now my Russian is better than English ! :lol:

Just Do It
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:38 PM
I used to be interested in Russia but now there are too many reports of racism against foreigners in Russia (particularly like against blacks and asians and even against white people like Germans!) and that it is just simply on the rise all the time. What do you guys think about this? I said before I think it's because the country is poor. Is it like this in other neighbouring slavic countries too? It just seems to me that Russia is now a fairly backward country. If there is any European country that has nationalism as its problem, that's Russia.

Do you have some proofs for that or something like that ... You shouldnt talk about this because you never went to Russia and you never experienced something similar !!!

Monica_Rules
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:42 PM
There is a problem in eastern europe as can be shown with football matches when black englisn( not sure about any other countres) get racial abuse from easter european fans.

FIFA and UEFA is supposedly 'cracking down' on this but i haven't seen much yet.

Just Do It
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:49 PM
There is a problem in eastern europe as can be shown with football matches when black englisn( not sure about any other countres) get racial abuse from easter european fans.

FIFA and UEFA is supposedly 'cracking down' on this but i haven't seen much yet.

Well isnt the same in Western Europe ?

random fan
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:46 PM
You must understand one thing, people. Russia's problem is not that it is full of racists, because it is not true, since people are pretty well educated there. Russia's problem is that it is indifferent (not to say tolerant) to racism (including aggresive forms)

égalité
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:57 PM
Мои друзья ходили в Россию в прошлом году и у них проблем не были.

Lord Nelson
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:00 PM
You must understand one thing, people. Russia's problem is not that it is full of racists, because it is not true, since people are pretty well educated there. Russia's problem is that it is indifferent (not to say tolerant) to racism (including aggresive forms)

Yes but same thing can be said with other soviet republics including yours where Russians are discriminated against. But I agree, the police in Russia should do a better job against this.

Joana
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:17 PM
What a bunch of paranoid, delusional, prejudiced posts in this thread.

njnetswill
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:32 PM
Russia isn't any more race than say...Japan.

It's just that Russia has prevalent hate groups, and Japanese people will just point and giggle and make you feel very uncomfortable.

Marshmallow
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:51 PM
I'm shocked to read about a nine year old girl being beaten to death with chains and baseball bat. I can't think people remained indifferent about this.

But acts of Racial violence can be found almost everywhere. Black male was axed to death here in the UK last year i think. Student was burned alive in Germany a while back, and i thinkthe video is online. And that man that was tied to a car and dragged to his death in Texas... oh and not so violent but there were those racist Chants at black england players in Madrid as they played.

I'm hestitant about forming an conclusions on Russia due to these attacks, which do shake me. But that said, Russia and i guess other Slavic countries could do much more to promote racially tolerant images. I think many people viewsthese regions as cold and unwelcoming.

TaliaSecondServe
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:05 PM
i used to be obsessed with russia, but i'd never go there. too scared of being shot or something.

Haha, good work of press! You know, living in Russia and watching some TV about US I think to myself, how good is that my children won't be going to American school... You can be easily shot there by your own classmate!
It's just shows the ability of press to exaggerate :rolleyes:
I think you can't say anything really unless you come to the country and see it by yourself.

Just Do It
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:11 PM
Haha, good work of press! You know, living in Russia and watching some TV about US I think to myself, how good is that my children won't be going to American school... You can be easily shot there by your own classmate!
I think you can't say anything really unless you come to the country and see it by yourself.

:yeah:

TaliaSecondServe
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:08 PM
Photo made in Moscow subway by my friend several months ago. Nobody is shot (yet :lol: )

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/5941/29ky8.jpg (http://img240.imageshack.us/my.php?image=29ky8.jpg)

vutt
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:26 PM
If I remember correctly Alexander Pushkin wasn't exactly pure white russian, but they still think of him as one of the greatest.

Indeed there have been quite a few killings recently related to racism. However criminal activity is generally higher in Russia. So racially motivated killings should be affected to. Of course media loves to bring only those up...

Gonzo Hates Me!
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:56 PM
Black people just shouldn't leave the house. That's the only way to have a racist free experience :)

Stamp Paid
Feb 4th, 2007, 12:11 AM
I still want to go to Russia.

Marshmallow
Feb 4th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Photo made in Moscow subway by my friend several months ago. Nobody is shot (yet :lol: )

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/5941/29ky8.jpg (http://img240.imageshack.us/my.php?image=29ky8.jpg)

Weeeeeeeeeellll, he doesn't look happy at all. You can see in his eyes he has been racially abused. Further, there is fear. He pobably thought you were taking this photo, to use as later target practice. *sigh*

But seriously i'm curious.. why did you friend take this picture?

mykarma
Feb 4th, 2007, 01:45 AM
I've heard of stories where African guys have been murdered for messing with white Russian women.

mykarma
Feb 4th, 2007, 02:03 AM
Russia isn't any more race than say...Japan.

It's just that Russia has prevalent hate groups, and Japanese people will just point and giggle and make you feel very uncomfortable.
I've been to Japan several times and never saw anything or anyone that made me uncomfortable. I also have a friend that taught English as a second language there and she never had any problems. As a matter of fact, she loves Japan. Plus, there are plenty of black guys in the U.S. military there. Not saying that Japanese are not racist because many of them are. IMO, Japanese think that they are better than any other Asian country. Especially the way they treated the Koreans and the Chinese. After WWII, the Japanese women that married white soldiers thought they were better than the ones the married black soldiers. Of course they learned that from their white husbands. My great uncle told me that the white soldiers told the Japanese women that black men had tails and a lot of them believed it. :lol: He told us they use to pull their pants down just to show them their tails. He would laugh so hard when he would tell the story so I know that it was true.

Anyhow, I think I'd rather have someone point at me and make me uncomfortable than to have a gang of thugs attack me. Hopefully, so day these imaginary borders and the outside of someone's skin won't matter.

Привет
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:43 AM
What a bunch of paranoid, delusional, prejudiced posts in this thread.
:yeah:
:D :worship: :)

You can't really blame Russians for not being used to people with darker skin. I don't however condone racism of any kind. Racism is prevalent wherever you go around the world, I really don't see why there was a thread started just to focus on racism in Russia. Similar things that happen in Russia could happen in the US, Australia, UK, and almost everywhere else.

TaliaSecondServe
Feb 4th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Weeeeeeeeeellll, he doesn't look happy at all. You can see in his eyes he has been racially abused. Further, there is fear. He pobably thought you were taking this photo, to use as later target practice. *sigh*

This photo is not only about him, there are also two Korean (?) or Chinese women behind :cool: .
But seriously i'm curious.. why did you friend take this picture?
He was doing kind of photo report in Moscow subway for student organization.. something like this... he studies in sociological faculty.
I have plenty of different photos of Moscow from him and from other sources.. just like collecting them :help: :D