Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:22 AM
What is her h2h with Elena D now?

ctan88
Congrats Hingis ... onto another final!

markhingis
congrats martina!!
i had a dream you won 6-1/6-1 :) well,it was not that easy,but a win is a win.
good luck in your 8th final in a row!!beat Ana please!

hablo
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:23 AM
Oh Lena. I don't know what to say . . . :hug::shrug:

Nicky2002
congrats and good luck tomorrow, martina! :kiss:

Kworb
I'm always happy and sad after my two favorites play eachother!

Dexter
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:24 AM
Lena. :sad:

UDACHi
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:25 AM
hmph. this isn't good.

Hashim.
m really happy..

Viktymise
lena :bigcry: i get up just for this :o, not even winning a set off Hingis today is pretty poor, but i had a small feeling you would play poorly in the semi's

bellascarlett
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:26 AM
:woohoo:

now win the tournament Martina! :D

sorry lena...:hug: i was with martina on this one.

cartmancop
Good Job Martina. Revenge for last year over Elena, now time to give Ana payback for last year :devil:

Josh.
semi's of a teir 1 isnt THAT bad..

Prizeidiot
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:28 AM
Bah... Elena needs to learn to hold.

She broke back to get herself back into both sets, before losing serve again straightaway

Ben.
congrats martina :yeah: into another final here :)

commiserations to lena

The Kaz
Hingis is up now 4-3 h2h

TennisSTUD
Congrats Martina!!

Kenny
WTH! lol

plantman
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:29 AM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Great showing Martina!
I knew you could stay with the power hitters! Just keep building that confidence.:D

Prizeidiot
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:29 AM
semi's of a teir 1 isnt THAT bad..
Yeah, if you just look at the tournament outcome it's not too bad.

But the fact of the matter is, she only had to win against 2 relatively low ranked opponents, and then lost fairly comfortably to the first decent player she came across.

Vaidisova
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:30 AM
Congrats Martina!

ZListCelebrity
Thanks Martin for making Dementieva look like a brainless ball basher.

LudwigDvorak
Bad day at the office, Elena. Almost no other explanation, and call me biased and stupid as much as you want.

SF at a Tier I sucks when you only have to win two matches to get to that semifinal. God, I hate byes.

RR-87
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:31 AM
Elena :sad: :hug:

but Martina :woohoo: :banana: beat Ana tomorrow :fiery:

Sharapova's_Boy
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:31 AM
Martina :woohoo:

Please take the title.

LudwigDvorak
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:32 AM
Oh, and I have to admit, I was kind of wanting an Ivanovic/Hingis final instead. Elena is great of course, but it'd just be so cool, if it happens, to see Ivanovic take two Tier Is off of Hingis.

Jeff
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:33 AM
Woot woot! This must feel good for Martina. Now clear up that h2h with Ana :D

Josh.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:34 AM
Bad day at the office, Elena. Almost no other explanation, and call me biased and stupid as much as you want.

SF at a Tier I sucks when you only have to win two matches to get to that semifinal. God, I hate byes.

in your sig .. whats afr?

~Kiera~
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:34 AM
Congrats, Martina! Hope you go on to win this now :)

go hingis
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:35 AM
nice win Martina, Keep it going!

thomas.chung
Oh, and I have to admit, I was kind of wanting an Ivanovic/Hingis final instead. Elena is great of course, but it'd just be so cool, if it happens, to see Ivanovic take two Tier Is off of Hingis.

I am pretty sure you want that AFTER Elena lost.

hingisGOAT

:haha: bitter? it's okay, everyone loses to hingis at one point or another ;)

well, in lena's case, it's the last two times. hingis gains the lead in the h2h 4-3! good job marti and good luck in the final :)

No.1Hingis
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:37 AM
Agggh!!! Maria.. where you gone? Hope you will be OK..

Is gonna be tough.. but you can Marti.. just dont let big adv to scare us that much...

The last time you played Ana.. she took sets pretty fast.. you has been doing that with matches of this year.. so careful... everything will count..

Marti.. please.. this is the 5th to your pocket.. take it girl..

LudwigDvorak
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:40 AM
Oh, get over it. I am not bitter Elena lost. I almost always am, yes :lol:, but would I rather see Elena lose in a semifinal or in yet another final? I'm going to pick a semifinal. She doesn't need more runner-up cups. :help:

Edit: And I'd rather see Elena lose to someone higher ranked than her than to someone #17 in the world.

UncleZeke
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:42 AM
Sad to see Elena and her blog go, but Happy for Martina.

Drake1980
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:43 AM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :woohoo:

RJWCapriati
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:44 AM
:) :) :) :) :)

LudwigDvorak
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:45 AM
in your sig .. whats afr?

It seems all of the Dementieva fans are doing it. It means Elena Dementieva Absolutely Fucking Rocks.

Josh.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:47 AM
It seems all of the Dementieva fans are doing it. It means Elena Dementieva Absolutely Fucking Rocks.

count me in :)

Hingie
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:47 AM
Good job Marti!

Hopefully Fox will show this in the morning... hopefully!

Now you have to deal with Ana - control the points with precision girl... you'll be right. :D

Tennisation
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:50 AM
Isn't it time for Lena to join her best friend Nastya and open a Jean clothing store? they're has been:o

égalité
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:53 AM
Martina!! :woohoo:

cometz9
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:54 AM
Lena :sobbing: :mad: oh well still decent results, good luck in Paris :D
Good Job Martina, hope she'll play well against Ana this time :help:

No.1Hingis
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:57 AM
Its always nice to throw out the current champ of the tourney... when she kicked you out last year.. very sweet..

Lena.. next time.. even this time Marti was rank higher so.. is not that bad..

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:57 AM
Lena :sad: :sad: :sad:

Win the final Martina . Good luck

Hingiswinsthis
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:00 AM
Go for Active Tour Record Tier I #17 tomorrow Martina! :-) You can do it (just get up 5-1 in both sets and you can take a breather to win it 6-4, 6-4) lol. Good luck tomorrow girls.

harloo
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:11 AM
Cmon now it's non-serving Elena. No shocker at all in my opinion. If she doesn't work on that aspect of her game then she can forget about ever winning a slam.:lol:

PLP
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:19 AM
Cmon now it's non-serving Elena. No shocker at all in my opinion. If she doesn't work on that aspect of her game then she can forget about ever winning a slam.:lol:

Actually, Lena's serve was great this week. I think she only had 4 df's today, which is nothing.

Congrats Martina!! :worship:

I knew you would, 'get revenge'. Please tell me that killer instinct is back and you will fight tomorrow!!! :kiss:

PLP
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:21 AM
BTW, Congrats also on successfully defending, or bettering, your results so far this year...some people actually thought you would have problems defending points! :lol:

harloo
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:25 AM
Actually, Lena's serve was great this week. I think she only had 4 df's today, which is nothing.

Congrats Martina!! :worship:

I knew you would, 'get revenge'. Please tell me that killer instinct is back and you will fight tomorrow!!! :kiss:

When has Elena's serve ever been good? Let's be honest here, she has a excellent ground game but that serve stinks. So she got it over the net at a high percentage this week and that constitutes a "good serve"? If you say so.:confused: :)

PLP
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:29 AM
When has Elena's serve ever been good? Let's be honest here, she has a excellent ground game but that serve stinks. So she got it over the net at a high percentage this week and that constitutes a "good serve"? If you say so.:confused: :)

It is a predictable shot but she some power on it. I guess I should have said she has been serving well this week for her. It's infinitely better than donating 4 or 5 games per match.

Shimizu Amon
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:31 AM
Too bad Dementieva lost, well I guess here comes another Tokyo victory for Hingis.

parn2257
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:50 AM
so sad for elena !!!!!! she should have done better??

LostGlory
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:54 AM
Martina needs only one match to out smart any player if they are not at the very top....I believe she takes things as a challange and for her it was a challange to out play the player she lost to very badly last year on the same stage.......

swissmisshingis
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:18 AM
Hingis :bounce:

Lena :hug:

ce
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:21 AM
well,ana will again trash her in the finals,SOORY

austennis
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:26 AM
The way last years final should have gone..

Princeza
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:27 AM
Go marti:kiss:

Duramont
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:33 AM
Elena :bigcry:

Top 10 ranking :scared:

DimaDinosaur
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:37 AM
Congradts Martina. Two finals in 4 tournaments. Very suave :yeah:

Elena, great tournament, especially your serving. 8 aces total! WHOO

PLP
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:46 AM
Congradts Martina. Two finals in 4 tournaments. Very suave :yeah:

Elena, great tournament, especially your serving. 8 aces total! WHOO

:)

Russianboy
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:03 AM
Lena! :(
It wasn't a good match form you!!!!

kittyking
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:03 AM
Well done Martina! I hope u win tomorrow

Brett.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:25 AM
Well Done! Martina!

Mr.Kardashian
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:31 AM
will dementieva lose her top ten ranking?

LefandePatty
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:40 AM
YAY! well done Martina! :D :banana: :woohoo: :aparty:

Take the title! :bounce:

LudwigDvorak
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:47 AM
will dementieva lose her top ten ranking?

No.

X|Fergie
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:49 AM
Elena :sad:

Sefo
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:01 AM
Elena played well and intelligent, better than Martina. It all boils down to that serve.:wazzup:

gmak
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:17 AM
lena :rolleyes: :sad: :(
not even a set against Hingis....

what an awful day...

Uranus
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:29 AM
Bad from Dementieva. Really thought she had this. Believe what you want, but I don't think Martina is really good for someone trying to enter top 5 :shrug: I saw some of her last matches.

pooh14
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:31 AM
Elena played well and intelligent, better than Martina. It all boils down to that serve.:wazzup:

elena serve was pretty good this tournament, so please don't blame on that everytime. for that matter, even hingis never have a great serve.

jochem
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:32 AM
This is the end for Elena when it comes to ever winning a GS... maybe if all the top players retire she'll win one at the US Open....

Sefo
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:36 AM
elena serve was pretty good this tournament, so please don't blame on that everytime. for that matter, even hingis never have a great serve.

True, Elena's serve was good enough this tournament, and much better than Maria's.:lol: :lol: :lol:
First DF after 5 games, impressing.
But she made those double faults just in key points.:tape:

franny
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:37 AM
Bad from Dementieva. Really thought she had this. Believe what you want, but I don't think Martina is really good for someone trying to enter top 5 :shrug: I saw some of her last matches.

Sure as hell better than Petrova and Dementieva, the two other player vying for the top five. Mentality is a very big part of the game, and Hingis is just mentally better. And she may not hit as hard, but she's more technically sound. She has better control and placement, and that gets her very far.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:43 AM
Boring match with lots of UEs :tape: Huge choke in the 1st set by Hingis but she managed to win it though.

I<3Myskina
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:03 AM
It was a pretty error ridden match by both. I saw the match from 5-1 in the first set.Elena made a great comeback to reach 5-4, with serve and should have held.
Elena then double faulted at 1-2 30* 40 to give martina a break. She managed to get to 3-3 but then errors crept in to haunt her and martina took advantage.

Nevermind, it's pretty hard to defend a Tier I title, but you did really well to get to the semi's, and you should have done with that easy draw.

Congrats Martina, good luck in the final.

Sam L
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:34 PM
Awesome BEAT DOWN Martina. :lol:

CORIA01
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:43 PM
Well I have predicted that Ana and Martina will win their matches!!!;) But now that my faves are in the final, I'm gonna say that Martina :cool: will win the hole thing to be in the Tokyo records!:bounce:

Beny
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:51 PM

But NOT in this match...:o :rolleyes: She could serve well in the 2nd round, QF..but she served BAD in SF

Beny
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:52 PM
Actually, Lena played well. I think she was better in rallies than Martina. But she was too anxious on 2nd serve...didn`t serve well today. But strokes are fine ;)

miffedmax
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:53 PM
Bleah. I hate that she lost to Hingis. A decent showing, but it could have been so much more than that.

Although maybe the injury played a part?

jazar
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:24 PM
go martina, just another routine win

Bezz
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:24 PM
Martina has certainly stepped it up since Australia, there were a few rallies were she was matching Elena shot for shot, and her serve looks half decent again.

She's the fave for the final imo, ana better play better than she did in montreal.

Martian KC
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:35 PM
Wooot! Take the title, Maritna!!!

Sund7101
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:35 PM
Way to go Marti, now bring home the title!

nhissan
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:54 PM
Solid win Congrats Martina

-Makiri-
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:58 PM
Martina :D

markhingis
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:00 PM
you're all blaming Elena's serve...is Martina's that good?? It should be piece of cake to power hitters like Elena,so let's not count serves from both girls.

TeamUSA#1
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:01 PM
Martina is ranking up revenges all over the place... Ana is next.... I see Martina winning the Final in 2 sets..... 6-3, 7-5

No Name Face
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:04 PM
sigh. elena.

Uranus
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:25 PM
Sure as hell better than Petrova and Dementieva, the two other player vying for the top five. Mentality is a very big part of the game, and Hingis is just mentally better. And she may not hit as hard, but she's more technically sound. She has better control and placement, and that gets her very far.
Petrova is sure better and she's easily top 3 on clay.
Dementieva has everything but the serve to be top 3.
I find Martina's shots weaker than theirs. Maybe she's mentally better but nothing more. :shrug:

October
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:33 PM
Good Wim, Martina!:)

MH0861
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:43 PM
Going for a record 5th title in Tokyo! :yeah:

selyoink
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:48 PM
Crud Lena.

Now I get the worst possible final imaginable from my perspective.

lecciones
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:52 PM
I find Martina's shots weaker than theirs. Maybe she's mentally better but nothing more. :shrug:

mentally better but nothing more? Oh you can't play tennis if its all mental. She can hit the ball excellently period. because if not then whats 42 singles titles to her credit and 36 doubles titles and 1 mixed? really..... it surprises me what you just said.

lecciones
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:54 PM
Boring match with lots of UEs :tape: Huge choke in the 1st set by Hingis but she managed to win it though.

haha not as boring as a final i watched recently :P

lecciones
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:55 PM
Wooot! Take the title, Maritna!!!

WOOT! btw how do you automatically clump together these posts with quotes?

pooh14
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:03 PM

You got to be kidding to say Petrova and Elena have better game than Hingis.
Please compare their achievements, they are not even lose in any aspect.

hingis could return after 3 and half year and yet overtake Elena in ranking.
No disrespect for Elena, she has good game, is a nice girl, but Hingis is definitely above her overall. You could be arguing about elena's past record against hingis, but overall Hingis is much more consistent player.

Elena even stated Hingis as her role model.

lecciones
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:16 PM
Yes and even up to now, I think Elena has deep respect for her role model, like most of the girls her on tour who grew up seeing Martina dominate. Besides, pure foolishness to say that about Martina.

LUIS9
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:22 PM
Lena :sobbing: :mad: oh well still decent results, good luck in Paris :D
Good Job Martina, hope she'll play well against Ana this time :help:

I know it's not like Hingis is the favorite tomorrow. Ana seems to be finding one of those runs she can when she's playing well. Maybe this time Hingis' strokes will be helped by this fast carpet court that has seen her win 4 times and made the finals 8 times.

égalité
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:00 PM

Her volleys are a million times better and she constructs points perfectly. Just hitting the ball hard doesn't win you 5 grand slams.

hingisGOAT
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:52 PM
Her volleys are a million times better and she constructs points perfectly. Just hitting the ball hard doesn't win you 5 grand slams.

in addition, martina's backhand is at a different level than dementieva's :)

disco_rage
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:01 PM
Hard luck Elena. Win title Martina!

LudwigDvorak
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:06 PM
Having a largely depleted field helps you win five Grand Slams, three of which in the same year, and having to defeat only two top 10 players in them. Elena could win a Slam if she only had to face one top 10 player in a Slam. Not saying Hingis didn't defeat the top players the rest of the year, but at the Slams, she beat people in the 20s to 50s range, largely.

Just felt like adding in that bit of bitterness.

goldenlox
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:09 PM
"She was playing very solid, very consistent," said Dementieva, who won the biggest title of her career here last year. "She played smart, as usual. I made too many unforced errors and didn't take advantage of the short balls. I couldn't come to the net. She was playing better in the longer rallies today.
"I was getting angry with myself during the match because I wasn't playing the right way against her. I didn't go for winners and got into long rallies, which is what she likes. I was playing the way she wanted me to play, and I couldn't do anything to change it."

BEEILOVEYA
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:14 PM
Having a largely depleted field helps you win five Grand Slams, three of which in the same year, and having to defeat only two top 10 players in them. Elena could win a Slam if she only had to face one top 10 player in a Slam. Not saying Hingis didn't defeat the top players the rest of the year, but at the Slams, she beat people in the 20s to 50s range, largely.

Bitterness is obviously your best friend.

franny
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:19 PM

I'm sorry but that's a dumb argument. If Hingis had a depleted field, so did the other 127 players who played in those same tournaments, and guess what, Hingis walked away with the win. Dementieva and Petrova can't even win like tier 1's with a depleted field, and yet they are better than Hingis who at least won slams with depleted field. Please, you may be able to use this argument when comparing Martina to say Venus, but you can't use this argument for people who hasn't even won slams. Let's look at the times Petrova and Dementieva has reached the finals of slams and see what quality players they've beaten. And then lets compare the rankings at the time and level. Plus, look how many top ten players they've each beaten in their careers and tell me who's "better." Or better yet, look at how many tournaments they have won. Or better yet, if you want to use the argument about "recently," look at their head-to-heads against each other since Hingis came back. I'll even grant you that Petrova won more titles last year, but when it's counted, she's done NOTHING. At least Hingis reached two slam quarters. Petrova got to what, the quarters of one, and the rest of the slams were pretty bad. I'm not trying to insult on Petrova and Dementieva, but when comparing who deserves top five, who even who's "better," the results speak for themselves. To see what Hingis has acheived, weak field or no weak field because guess what, she's out there even right now doing better than most of these girls against a "strong field," and still get disrespected the way she gets disrespected is ridiculous. People can't appreciate a great player when they see one. Even if she doesn't play the style you like and you don't like her, her accomplishments alone should at least earn her the respect of people not resorting to calling her a ball-pusher. Because you know what, there are plenty of ball pushers out there. Plenty of insanely fast players. And yet they lose, always. Why is it that Hingis has made this amazing career out of being a "ball pusher." She does not just get balls back, she gets them back deep, places them on the baseline and on the corners, hits them back occasionally with spin, with height, with pace, throws in a drop shot here or there, puts in a lob on an important point, improvises and forces her opponents to lose their rythm, takes the ball the earliest of any tennis player out there. I mean, if you haven't noticed, even though she doesn't hit with pace, the ball travels back fast relatively quickly and rushes the players to mess up on their footwork because she takes the ball so early. It's almost as if she's hitting half volleys from the baseline. I think Hingis deserves a little more than to be put down by fans of players that she just beat by resorting to calling a "ball pusher" and inferior to the same players of whom on paper isn't even worth mentioning in the same comparison as her.

hingisGOAT
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:20 PM
Elena could win a Slam if she only had to face one top 10 player in a Slam.

Like she would have at the Australian Open this year, right? :tape:

franny
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:24 PM

Groundstrokes: Martina is more technically sound. She has better control. Period. That's not even an argument. Petrova and Dementieva has more power, okay. But Martina's got more control. She can place the ball anywhere at anytime. Have you ever watched Arthur Ashe Kids day where they do the place the ball competition. She outscores Andre freaking Agassi. "Weaker" is subjective. If you mean hit with less pace, then okay. But is it not as good? If a fighter is stronger, but his opponent can physically last longer despite being weaker, is that opponent not just as good if not better?

Petrova is top three on clay. How many french open finals has she reached? How many tier 1's on clay has she won? How many tier 2's? She's playing great on clay, but again in comparison to what Martina has acheived, Petrova will never ever reach that level.

I ain't even gonna go into Elena's. Other's have done it.

PLP
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:25 PM
"She was playing very solid, very consistent," said Dementieva, who won the biggest title of her career here last year. "She played smart, as usual. I made too many unforced errors and didn't take advantage of the short balls. I couldn't come to the net. She was playing better in the longer rallies today.
"I was getting angry with myself during the match because I wasn't playing the right way against her. I didn't go for winners and got into long rallies, which is what she likes. I was playing the way she wanted me to play, and I couldn't do anything to change it."

Interesting quote. I wonder why she couldn't change it? What was different about this match?

PLP
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:29 PM
Crud Lena.

Now I get the worst possible final imaginable from my perspective.

I'm sorry!
But it's one of the best finals possible for me! :wavey:
Go Marti and Ana!!!

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:30 PM
Interesting quote. I wonder why she couldn't change it? What was different about this match?

Lena is in bad shape + without a real coach is her corner . I guess

matthieu_tennis
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:31 PM

Because it was too late when you start to decide to hit winner in the middle of the match and you are impatient that can cause you alot of bad errors :bounce: hingis is so smart :)

égalité
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:33 PM

Well, at the 1999 AO, she beat Dementieva, Dokic, Coetzer, Pierce, Seles, and Mauresmo consecutively. Besides that, her draws in the slams she won weren't overly difficult, but she was still beating almost all of the top-10 players she played outside of the slams.

PLP
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:01 PM

Well Martina beat Nadia just a few months ago, the only time they have met since Martina's comeback and Martina has now beaten Lena the last 2X in str8 sets.

Martina is #6 and just a few baby steps away from top 5. So it doesn't actually matter who believes Nadia and Lena are better, if she is the one beating them, ranked higher, going deeper into tournaments...the answer to that question seems pretty obvious at the moment. :p

And Martina is better on clay than Petrova, until Nadia proves otherwise. :wavey:

Billabong
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:29 PM
Well, at the 1999 AO, she beat Dementieva, Dokic, Coetzer, Pierce, Seles, and Mauresmo consecutively. Besides that, her draws in the slams she won weren't overly difficult, but she was still beating almost all of the top-10 players she played outside of the slams.

Definitely. And we can add all the top-10 players she beat in slams, even though she didn't win the title at the end. 1998 US Open, 1999 US Open, 2000 Australian Open and 2001 Australian Open (in which she beat both sisters) are very good examples:).

LudwigDvorak
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:29 PM

That's what I mean. I'm not denigrating Hingis' results. Hey, she took advantage of almost no top 10 players in her first three Slam victories, right? And I wasn't even saying Dementieva is technically a better player than Hingis (though god knows I personally think so, but of course, inconsistency, thy name is Dementieva), I'm just saying what helped Hingis get her 3/5 Slams.

I'm not the only one to mention her weakened fields in the past. It's not an attack on Hingis, but if someone wants to take it like that, feel free. I firmly believe if someone can take advantage they deserve it.

Billabong
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:30 PM
BTW well done Martina, that was a great win and sweet revenge for last year:worship: Now do the same for the Montreal final, revenge time:bounce:!!! GOOO Marti:D!!!

Mina Vagante
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:31 PM
elena needs some good wins or at the very least defend her points, if she dont she'll soon be outta the top 10

Corswandt
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:53 PM
One-dimensional as it is, much if not everything on Lena's game depends on the way she balances steadyness and aggressiveness - and ever since late 2005, which in retrospect seems like her peak, Lena has had serious problems in achieving that balance. And that shortcoming was on full display on this match - a few big winners here and there, but too often Lena would make needless UEs while going for too much, or by contrast not hit deep enough, allowing Hingis to take over the point. Time and again her superior baseline firepower had Hingis pinned and on the defensive - but Lena's inability to build and finish off points meant that she would just hit the same shot over and over again, presumably waiting for an error - not the wisest course of action when facing Hingis.

Her few DFs tended to appear at the worst possible time, and her serve was so crap even Hingis (Hingis!) took the opportunity to attack it - which meant that almost all her service games turned into a struggle.

This surface favours Hingis' game - the extremely low bounce gives some more bite to her serve, which is all placement and little power, as well as to her groundstrokes, and makes her junk deadlier. And if there's a player who knows how to take advantage of Lena's aimless game, that player is Hingis.

Last year's PPO final was the exception (for a starters, the single most important factor on Lena D.'s win was her excellent serving :rolleyes: - the serving performance of a lifetime, perhaps) - Lena D. will always struggle when playing against Hingis.

Still, the PPO campaign went better than expected - Lena made the most of her cushy draw and more than half of last year's points were defended. A catastrophic drop on the rankings has been successfully averted. For now.

Corswandt
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:54 PM
:woohoo:

now win the tournament Martina! :D

sorry lena...:hug: i was with martina on this one.

Traitor.

Tenis Srbija
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:55 PM
Lena :sobbing: :awww:

LudwigDvorak
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:01 PM
Corswandt, a lot of what you said is what people were saying about Elena back in '01 and '02, her bad years, about hitting great shots and getting her opponent out of position but failing to finalize the point in her favor. That seems to be something she's always struggled with.

Hingie
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:14 PM

Wow - do you even know anything about tennis?

Because you perceive Martina's shots to be slower than Nadia's and Elena's, you conclude they are better players :confused:

What about placement, anticipation, taking the ball early, strategy (wrong footing, placing ball in most awkward position) etc etc.

Maybe if Nadia and Elena had half the variety Marti has they would be better players themselves.

And let's not even compare them in terms of consistency and net play. :tape:

Corswandt
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:18 PM
Corswandt, a lot of what you said is what people were saying about Elena back in '01 and '02, her bad years, about hitting great shots and getting her opponent out of position but failing to finalize the point in her favor. That seems to be something she's always struggled with.

She's never been the greatest court strategist out there. It has hampered her career even more than her shite serve.

tobi
Feb 4th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Lena :( :sad:

Congrats Martina

Can you beat Ana this time?

Chewie
Feb 4th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Have you ever watched Arthur Ashe Kids day where they do the place the ball competition. She outscores Andre freaking Agassi.

Interesting. Is that true?
What are the rules for the competition, how is it done etc...markups on the court?

Also, Bhupathi and Federer thought Martina was amazing at their mixed doubles matches.

franny
Feb 4th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Interesting. Is that true?
What are the rules for the competition, how is it done etc...markups on the court?

Also, Bhupathi and Federer thought Martina was amazing at their mixed doubles matches.

They like place targets around the court, and each player gets to hit like a certain number of backhands, a certain number of forehands, a certain number of serves. And they have like 10 shots, and they try to see how many of those ten shots hit the thing.

Dementieva Guts
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Great gig Martina, you and dementieva always put on a show

I guess I'll give the advantage to Ivanovic; she didn't even work in the sf, martina did.

Just hope won't be like montreal 06 final.