PDA

View Full Version : Why did Maria retire?

adam_ads_n
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:44 AM
Can anyone tell me what was the reason of Maria's retirement? Did she have any injury, medical time out etc.? Thanks

bucklemyshoe
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:44 AM
because she was getting her ass kicked

adam_ads_n
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:45 AM
but really. I don't like her much but I wonder if it's serious?

Dan23
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:46 AM
Its only the 2nd time ever Maria has retired from a match...there will be a good reason

Dexter
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:47 AM
B/c she was getting her butt kicked fair and square? :shrug:
I'll wait till I watch this on ES.

maddogz48
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:48 AM
Ivanovic was about to give Sharapova the same scoreline Serena gave her in the Aussie Open finals, so she retired. :lol:

Sharapova is such a douchebag.

adam_ads_n
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:48 AM

I won't be able to :( That's why I'm asking :)

Dan23
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:51 AM
might be an idea... :p

Maria takes her beatings the rare times she is given them..wait for the real reason

bournerdan
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:51 AM
i think she retired because she was getting outplayed....she may have had some injury but there is no way she would have retired had it not been for the fact Ivanovic was making her look ordinary......She looked to be moving fine.....Very poor in my opinion....

GrafMariaPetraK
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:52 AM
i think she's got a hamstring injury

Dementieva Guts
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:54 AM

This is quite the truth buddy

Oh Nelly ! Runway Sharapova retires after trailing 61, what a SHOCKER :eek:

You can tell everytime that lazy model gets a little bit of competition, her true motive comes out screaming. She's only playing to show herself on tv. She has no commitment at all, She's a lazy, drama queen diva with lots of money.:wavey:

-jenks-
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:54 AM
I think it was something with her leg, but I'm sure it wasn't anything serious, and nothing close to something a real champion would quit because of.

Ajde Ana!! :rocker:

bournerdan
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:55 AM
i think she's got a hamstring injury

agreed.......but she was still moving okay.....she wouldnt have retired had Ivanovic not been so hot.....

Brett.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:55 AM
Its only the 2nd time ever Maria has retired from a match...there will be a good reason

When was it the last time that she has retired?

bournerdan
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:56 AM
Sharapova is a poor excuse for a world number one......IMO

GrafMariaPetraK
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:57 AM
least she's got to number 1

Wayn77
Hope it's nothing serious - get well soon Maria.

Dexter
Harmstring injury it was from what I've read. Get well soon, Maria. Hope it's not too bad.

Ben.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:58 AM
agreed.......but she was still moving okay.....she wouldnt have retired had Ivanovic not been so hot.....

good point. but then again she could of retired if she was leading 6-1 1-0 the opposite.

Mightymirza
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:58 AM
Well she held serve on 1st game tho b4 retiring..Must be some injury..

bournerdan
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:59 AM
So....Im not a fan of Sharapova....so people give me bad rep.....thats really stupid.....

Ben.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:59 AM
hope maria is okay with this injury & that it's nothing serious. hope she can play dubai.

akosiirwyn
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:02 AM
masha.. :hug:

Marshmallow
Scared of being battered black and blue two weeks in a row. Her ass whooping last week shattered her.. shook her to the core.

supergrunt
ALRIGHT eveyone stop beating up on Maria now... :tears:

UncleZeke
Maria made it to Finals in Dubai last year. Hope she is able to play.

GrafMariaPetraK
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:04 AM
get well maria:hug:

maddogz48
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:05 AM
Sharapova is a poor excuse for a world number one......IMO

I agree with that statement. Hopefully she is displaced from the #1 spot quickly.

Rome
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:06 AM
Scared of being battered black and blue two weeks in a row. Her ass whooping last week shattered her.. shook her to the core.

I think so to she want to cry in that match she had being pump up by every you can bet pam and mary jo was there to pump but what happen Serena Schooled and that my friend hurts some one mentally

Porcupine
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:06 AM
I think her leg was hurt or something. :sad:

But I believe there'll be good reason for this. If she didn't want to play the match she would retired rite after 1st set, not after held serve in the 2nd set.

Get well soon Masha :hug:

-jenks-
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:08 AM
I think her leg was hurt or something. :sad:

But I believe there'll be good reason for this. If she didn't want to play the match she would retired rite after 1st set, not after held serve in the 2nd set.

Get well soon Masha :hug:

She took the injury time out after the first set. If she wasn't well enough to play the second set, why didn't she retire after the first point?

-jenks-
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:09 AM
I think so to she want to cry in that match she had being pump up by every you can bet pam and mary jo was there to pump but what happen Serena Schooled and that my friend hurts some one mentally

This doesn't make any sense! :help:

UncleZeke
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:10 AM
she held serve to start 2nd set.

Porcupine
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:13 AM
She took the injury time out after the first set. If she wasn't well enough to play the second set, why didn't she retire after the first point?

Masha probably felt she couldn't play anymore during that 1st game, I think.

franny
What the fuck is wrong with you people? She's clearly hurt. You guys say she retires because she lost the first set 6-1? Let's think about it, what's more likely. The world number 1 and by far superior player loses the first 6-1 because she's injured and retires or the player who has only retired one other time in her life retires because she lost a first set 6-1? I mean, some of you people lack common sense here. And even if she's moving fine, it doesn't mean that she's not in pain, that she's not mentally no focused because of the injury. Unless you've competed at a competitive level and know the difficulty of competing at that level, don't go saying that someone could have or did play well with an injury. Idiots.

driger
she lost the first set in her last two matches. not like she hasn't been here before. lotta poiny at stake in this tournament too. be playing like crap all year. too bad, an on form maria is a beauty to watch.

piercerocks
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:14 AM
well she has played some great tennis, its just after the AO final you could tell that something odd was going on.. then its the 3 sets wins over sugi and schiavone..i dont think she retired cause of injury.. she definitely needs to go back to the drawing board on her serve.

definitely hope things get better.

coffee-lover
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:17 AM
What the fuck is wrong with you people? She's clearly hurt. You guys say she retires because she lost the first set 6-1? Let's think about it, what's more likely. The world number 1 and by far superior player loses the first 6-1 because she's injured and retires or the player who has only retired one other time in her life retires because she lost a first set 6-1? I mean, some of you people lack common sense here. And even if she's moving fine, it doesn't mean that she's not in pain, that she's not mentally no focused because of the injury. Unless you've competed at a competitive level and know the difficulty of competing at that level, don't go saying that someone could have or did play well with an injury. Idiots.

:yeah: Great post

Vincey!
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:17 AM
OMG...Why did people say that Sharapova doesn't deserve her number one ranking??..She made the Final of the AO, beating Clijsters in two sets and lost to an amazing Serena who was on mission lol...so I don't think it's a bad result :shrug:

Vincey!
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:18 AM

:worship:.:yeah:

brokenflowers
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:18 AM
People are being quite mean to her on the board here. I read that she's got a hamstring injury no? Nonetheless I hope she feels better soon.

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:19 AM
Maria was injuried. She couldn't go 100% I guess and you don't want to make a hamstring injury worse. So it was wise to retire.

wipeout
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:19 AM
Maybe Yuri mixed up his "eat banana" and "retire from match" signals. :devil:

More seriously, it's obviously possible to have injuries that you can play on with for a while. I hope it's not a serious problem that'll keep her out. :)

driger
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:24 AM
maria has the most points. she deserves #1. this aint college football.

bellascarlett
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:24 AM
Hope everything will turn out fine and healthy soon Masha. :hug:

Some people here...:o...obviously easy to put her down now that she isn't doing well and playing up to the standards she is capable of...

supergrunt
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:25 AM
I wish people were this sympathetic when Serena was being put-down on this board :shrug:

Fingon
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:25 AM
some of you people lack common sense

common sense in wtaworld? :haha: :haha: :haha:

Ben.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:27 AM

yeah i agree with you :yeah:

pooh14
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:30 AM
I wish people were this sympathetic when Serena was being put-down on this board :shrug:

i was always saying do not underestimate serena, and always said she could comeback if she wants too ;)

supergrunt
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:31 AM
^wel then not you :D

Frode
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:35 AM

I agree 100 %

It's astonishing how much hate and negativity som people can but in their post. I joined this forum in December hoping to talk tennis with other fans. So when someone ask a normal question like this thread You have go through 50 post of garbage hoping there's actually someone who does know anything.

I am close to giving up on this forum all together

Rome
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:46 AM
This doesn't make any sense! :help:

I'm sorry what I was trying to say. That maria is having a mental let down and it really hurt her to lose to Serena in the final of the AO. When everyone was tell her she would win the AO because Serena seem to be out of shape.

Rome
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:49 AM
Maybe Yuri mixed up his "eat banana" and "retire from match" signals. :devil:

More seriously, it's obviously possible to have injuries that you can play on with for a while. I hope it's not a serious problem that'll keep her out. :)

lol

2moretogo
If she is hurt, well ok. But I think this has more to do with her self-esteem/fatigue. But I didn't see the match, so who knows?

Dementieva Guts
I agree 100 %

It's astonishing how much hate and negativity som people can but in their post. I joined this forum in December hoping to talk tennis with other fans. So when someone ask a normal question like this thread You have go through 50 post of garbage hoping there's actually someone who does know anything.

Sometimes people use to be sarcastic about particular situation (including me). People make these raw comments because they felt the player in question isn't telling the truth. People are simply making those comments because they're sick of bad sportmanship and pure lies.

If those "faking players" conduct themself with more dignity, people will upgrade there comments. That's all.:)

driger
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:50 AM
I'm sorry what I was trying to say. That maria is having a mental let down and it really hurt her to lose to Serena in the final of the AO. When one was tell her she would win the AO because Serena seem to be out of shape.

maria seems to take losing in stride, like her 6-0,6-0 lose to lindsay. shes probably a little wore out from the AO. she really hasn't played well all year.

dangerjenny
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:50 AM
she was really getting her ass kicked,that is y she quit.

bellascarlett
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:51 AM
I'm sorry what I was trying to say. That maria is having a mental let down and it really hurt her to lose to Serena in the final of the AO. When one was tell her she would win the AO because Serena seem to be out of shape.

Maria isn't dumb. For Serena to reach the final of a slam, beating seeds whom some considered as contenders, she clearly must have been playing great and indeed she was. And Maria knew that going in.

Black Mamba.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:55 AM
I agree 100 %

Hate to be so harsh but that's part of posting here and if you can't take it maybe you should leave.

Hashim.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:55 AM
Maria isn't dumb. For Serena to reach the final of a slam, beating seeds whom some considered as contenders, she clearly must have been playing great and indeed she was. And Maria knew that going in.

right..

there can be any health problem with her which led to her ret...:sad: :confused:

brent-o
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:58 AM

What is idiotic is to assume she has an injury based on no concrete evidence and just to assume that if a player retires (especially one as dignified and classy as Maria :rolleyes:), they're injured. true, that's how the system should work BUT there are plenty of instances on the tour when players are getting their ass handed to them and retire because the loss would be too hard to bear. I'm not saying for sure that this is the case with Maria but don't say that people are idiots for assuming this. Besides, is this hamstring thing just a rumor or where's the press conference/interview in which she says this was the case?

driger
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:58 AM

what seed did serena beat that was considered a contender?

Dementieva Guts
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:02 AM
Hate to be so harsh but that's part of posting here and if you can't take it maybe you should leave.

I'm with you on this. Sometimes people has to man up and take it like a man. People who doesn't accept others opinion as to be a little bit girly.

Rome
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:05 AM

All im saying is the poeple who got to her by saying she should and would win the match in the AO final really did her a diservices. That puts alot of pressure on maria and now she is having a mental let down it happens to everyone even Roger (the godfather of tennis).

Fingon
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:05 AM
I'm with you on this. Sometimes people has to man up and take it like a man. People who doesn't accept others opinion as to be a little bit girly.

and why would female posters take it like a man?:confused:

bellascarlett
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:06 AM
what seed did serena beat that was considered a contender?

happen to hear about jelena jankovic? ;)

...petrova, vaidisova, and peer...pretty obvious she was capable of playing great.

Leopold Stotch
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:09 AM
Did anyone actually watch the match ?

ZListCelebrity
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:10 AM
Welcome back semipova... You won your second and last career slam last year...

drake3781
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:14 AM

:rolleyes: Sexist much?

driger
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:21 AM
happen to hear about jelena jankovic? ;)

...petrova, vaidisova, and peer...pretty obvious she was capable of playing great.

jankovic was a long shot to win the AO, and had some foot problems that made it impossible for her. she was played out. all those players have a total of 0 slams. none of those players has any shot of winning a slam this year.

Dementieva Guts
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:22 AM
and why would female posters take it like a man?:confused:

Sorry I was just trying to say that 1 person doesn't deliver the entire truth. If some other poster say the exact opposite of his post, he may accept it like it is; nobody thinking the same way.

It doesn't mean a poster that counter another post in his exact opposite doesn't know Tennis. Everybody here knows this game pretty good, only seeing in differents ways.

drake3781
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:28 AM
Sorry I was just trying to say that 1 person doesn't deliver the entire truth. If some other poster say the exact opposite of his post, he may accept it like it is; nobody thinking the same way.

It doesn't mean a poster that counter another post in his exact opposite doesn't know Tennis. Everybody here knows this game pretty good, only seeing in differents ways.

Much better, thank you. :wavey:

kjn
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:32 AM
Why couldn't people just be realistic? You can't just jump into conclusion everytime. If there is no concrete evidence that she is hurt, then there is no evidence of saying that she retired just because she is getting her butt kicked. She is surely not the kind of player to retire just because of that. If so, why do you think she continued to play in that AO final and the match in IW where she was handed a double bagel?

Langers
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:33 AM
Here you go...

TOKYO -- Top-ranked Maria Sharapova retired during the second set of her Pan Pacific Open semifinal against Ana Ivanovic on Saturday because of a hamstring injury. After dropping the first set 6-1, the Russian star consulted with her trainer. She won the first game of the second set before retiring. "It's disappointing to have to finish this way," Sharapova said. "I started to feel pain in the second game of the first set. I tried to go on, but you can't get away with it when you are playing against a top player. "Sharapova, who reclaimed the No. 1 spot in the WTA Tour rankings Monday, lost to Serena Williams in the final of the Australian Open.The Russian had 17 double-faults in her first match against Italy's Francesca Schiavone and double-faulted 14 times Friday in the quarterfinals against Japan's Ai Sugiyama. Sharapova refused to blame the injury on her schedule. "I have a simple and easy schedule compared to the other girls," she said. "There's no doubt its difficult when you come straight from a Grand Slam. The surface here is quite different and the change in court might have something to do with it. "Sharapova said her trainer told her she would likely need about a week to recover.

Dementieva Guts
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:34 AM
Much better, thank you. :wavey:

My bad
I Just, sort to say, got caried away by, I believe so, some childish comments.:)

Langers
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:35 AM
So by using that logic there should never be any upsets... :rolleyes:

Just because she's the World No.1 doesn't mean that she can't be outplayed.

RenaSlam.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:38 AM
:wavey: Maria...:)

DOUBLEFIST
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:40 AM
I'm not gonna completely jump on the Bash Masha bandwagon here ( I like her fight. I hate what she represents), but for the record, I think what ROME and others have said is just a good a theory as any.

(And btw ROME, everything you've said has been understandable Don't sweat it.)

These girls have big egos- especially the the top ones. Justine's retirements have been suspect, some have argued Serena's have as well, so..., whatever. Right now Shapo fans are feeling a little raw and defensive which is perfectly understandable. She needs to shore up the weakness in her game right now. The WTA is a shark tank and Maria seems an injured(metaphorically speaking), bleeding target right now.

Also for the record, Jelena Jankovic was all the rage going into the Aussie O. the "expert" calling her the hottest girl on tour, blah, blah, blah.

Masha's in trouble right now. And I doubt that it's her Hammy.

Fingon
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:46 AM

I don't think you understood what she meant. She never said that Maria cannot lose a set 6-1 to Ana.

But since she did retire, there are only two possibilities, either she was injured or she was not.

so what she said basically is that if Maria wasn't injured, then she obviously retired not to face the shame of losing but if she was injured, that must obviously affected her play in the first set.

So, Franny said that you have to choose what to believe, that a player who is world # 1 (and despite the flaws in the ranking, the # 1 is supposed to win most matches) loses very easily and then chooses to retire or she was really injured, and considering that Maria has only retired once during a match, and this is not the first time she loses badly (remember Davenport IW?) then the theory that she is really injured seems more plausible.

Fingon
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:50 AM
Also for the record, Jelena Jankovic was all the rage going into the Aussie O. the "expert" calling her the hottest girl on tour, blah, blah, blah.

Jankovic the hottest girl on tour? In what sense? looks? :speakles:

or game? do winning a tier 4 and reaching the final of a tier 2 make a player the hottest girl on tour? :scratch:

talking about being overrated, when she beats a few top players (not nearly beat, actually walk off as the winner) and wins a couple of big tournaments (no Aucklands), then they can tell me she is the hottest girl on tour and is a contender for a GS.

Sharapova's_Boy
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:51 AM
I don't think you understood what she meant. She never said that Maria cannot lose a set 6-1 to Ana.

But since she did retire, there are only two possibilities, either she was injured or she was not.

so what she said basically is that if Maria wasn't injured, then she obviously retired not to face the shame of losing but if she was injured, that must obviously affected her play in the first set.

So, Franny said that you have to choose what to believe, that a player who is world # 1 (and despite the flaws in the ranking, the # 1 is supposed to win most matches) loses very easily and then chooses to retire or she was really injured, and considering that Maria has only retired once during a match, and this is not the first time she loses badly (remember Davenport IW?) then the theory that she is really injured seems more plausible.

Exactly.

If Masha didn't want to face the scrutiny/embarrassment of an lopsided scoreline, why didn't she retire against Davenport @ IW 05.

Or even against Serena in Melbourne.

But it is Maria Sharapova we're talking about. She can't do anything right on this board.

Black Mamba.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:52 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

100% true we have too many Soft members on this board. THey do need to man up and quit crying about stuff.

Langers
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:53 AM
Jankovic the hottest girl on tour? In what sense? looks? :speakles:

or game? do winning a tier 4 and reaching the final of a tier 2 make a player the hottest girl on tour? :scratch:

talking about being overrated, when she beats a few top players (not nearly beat, actually walk off as the winner) and wins a couple of big tournaments (no Aucklands), then they can tell me she is the hottest girl on tour and is a contender for a GS.
She did have some pretty good wins in Sydney. Hingis, Vaidisova, stretching Clijsters and having a match point.

Dementieva Guts
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:53 AM
I'm not gonna completely jump on the Bash Masha bandwagon here ( I like her fight. I hate what she represents), but for the record, I think what ROME and others have said is just a good a theory as any.

(And btw ROME, everything you've said has been understandable Don't sweat it.)

These girls have big egos- especially the the top ones. Justine's retirements have been suspect, some have argued Serena's have as well, so..., whatever. Right now Shapo fans are feeling a little raw and defensive which is perfectly understandable. She needs to shore up the weakness in her game right now. The WTA is a shark tank and Maria seems an injured(metaphorically speaking), bleeding target right now.

Masha's in trouble right now. And I doubt that it's her Hammy.

It simply seems that whatever the way they're losing or crunched, GS or Tier 1, 2, Pop stars like sharapova, henin and some others always have some sort of excuses. It can be life-long injuries, weather, crowd noise, bad choice of outfit, eat poison, bad sleep.

We just don't see that from outside of top 5 players.

Sharapova's_Boy
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:55 AM
It simply seems that whatever the way they're losing or crunched, GS or Tier 1, 2, Pop stars like sharapova, henin and some others always have some sort of excuses. It can be life-long injuries, weather, crowd noise, bad choice of outfit, eat poison, bad sleep.

We just don't see that from outside of top 5 players.

Enlighten me of Maria's constant use of excuses for losses.

bellascarlett
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:56 AM
jankovic was a long shot to win the AO, and had some foot problems that made it impossible for her. she was played out. all those players have a total of 0 slams. none of those players has any shot of winning a slam this year.

doesnt matter...jelena and the others were still considered favorites by most or have you forgotten? serena came out, surprised/proved (depends where you stand) most wrong. the point was just to have reached the final, serena - who was written off by a lot of people and who beat several good decent (some even top 10 players) - was playing well and maria wasn't stupid not to recognize that.

DOUBLEFIST
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:59 AM
then the theory that she is really injured seems more plausible.

It's plausible, not necessarily more, but plausible.

But how many times has she been spanked as world #1? There is a different level of expectation- of pride? Was she world #1 when Davey tapped that butt? That was not rhetorical. I don't know what her rank was then, but I DO know that she's been consistently struggling since the AO against even mediocre players, but I'm sure she felt in the back of her mind she'd be able to pull it out. But facing a player who is faaar from mediocre, I'm sure their was more doubt. And frankly, Any hammy injury that's going to be completely fine in a weeks time, allowing her to get back and compete at a professional level, is not much of a hamstring injury at all. Trust me on that.

driger
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:59 AM
She did have some pretty good wins in Sydney. Hingis, Vaidisova, stretching Clijsters and having a match point.

yup and thats why her feet were heavily taped at the oz. she was played out.

driger
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:04 AM
doesnt matter...jelena and the others were still considered favorites by most or have you forgotten? serena came out, surprised/proved (depends where you stand) most wrong. the point was just to have reached the final, serena - who was written off by a lot of people and who beat several good decent (some even top 10 players) - was playing well and maria wasn't stupid not to recognize that.

serena was lucky, didnt have to face henin, mauresmo, or a clijsters, or even kuznetsova. played a bunch of wannabees. and got an off form maria in the final. serena did play well in the final. but lets see her do it again. one win in 2 years.

Langers
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:05 AM
yup and thats why her feet were heavily taped at the oz. she was played out.
Perhaps, but I also feel Sharapova didn't have enough games under her belt before the AO. It's hard to judge how much or how little to play before a Grand Slam.

DOUBLEFIST
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:07 AM
...We just don't see that from outside of top 5 players.

:lol: Yeah and that's probably why they're outside of the top 5! :lol: There is something in the mental make up of MOST big time players that simply refuse to accept defeat- even when it's on the scoreboard :lol: I'm not condoning it, but that's just the way it is. It is that Armor of confidence and belief of invincibility that often leads to victory.

This isn't a new thing. Back in the day, many people HATED Navratilova because she would NEVER concede that she'd been flat out beaten- especially against Evert.

bellascarlett
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:10 AM
serena was lucky, didnt have to face henin, mauresmo, or a clijsters, or even kuznetsova. played a bunch of wannabees. and got an off form maria in the final. serena did play well in the final. but lets see her do it again. one win in 2 years.

well........i do believe not one of the players she played before the finals had the mentality to take her down. nobody had the guts to take it to her when they clearly had the chance. but that's part of the game and you gotta hand it to serena, she did play great in that final.

Dementieva Guts
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:11 AM
Enlighten me of Maria's constant use of excuses for losses.

To me sharapova and henin are the worst. They always give that look after they miss a shot like WHAT IS GOING ON, I'M THE GODDESS, I NEVER MISS HIT THAT BALL.
I always see them with some sort of taping. Maybe I'm wrong but I see these as strategic move covering herself if they suddenly get "upset".
They also, in my view, over use the bathroom gimmick. It tells me that they're not able to follow the rythm of the match.
In post game stuff, they seem to never give the credit to her opponent, it always her good performance or her bad performance.

That why I think so

The difference between the #1 player in the world and the #30 is minimal.

pooh14
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:13 AM
would maria would have retired if the score was otherway round?

no, i don't think so.
but ...
nowadays players think this way.

if they know they do not have the energy to fightback, they know they cant give their best to complete the match, why risk their injury?

thats what henin did also. i can understand their situation. if you are losing, and you know you don't have the capability to fightback due to injuries, why make your injury even worse?

gone are the days when players stood there just for the sake of gamemanship. nowadays players get injured so often that they do not want to risk further injuries.

G~Playa
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:16 AM
ah great for ana i guess

bellascarlett
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:18 AM
To me sharapova and henin are the worst. They always give that look after they miss a shot like WHAT IS GOING ON, I'M THE GODDESS, I NEVER MISS HIT THAT BALL.
I always see them with some sort of taping. Maybe I'm wrong but I see these as strategic move covering herself if they suddenly get "upset".
They also, in my view, over use the bathroom gimmick. It tells me that they're not able to follow the rythm of the match.
In post game stuff, they seem to never give the credit to her opponent, it always her good performance or her bad performance.

just invalidated your whole post. maria always gives credit where credit is due. that im certain of. she isnt a self-absorbed winner or loser. go back and read all her post match pressers...but i dont think you'd be bothered by that. :lol:

what taping are you talking about? :rolleyes:

Sharapova's_Boy
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:19 AM

That why I think so

The difference between the #1 player in the world and the #30 is minimal.

Why apply this only to Maria and Justine?

Most players look disappointed after they miss a shot.

Most, if not all, players have some sort of taping. Especially on ankles.

Most players use bathroom breaks.

Not all players give credit to their opponents. But I'd like to hear of when Maria didn't give any credit.

Serge007
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:19 AM
In post game stuff, they seem to never give the credit to her opponent
what's you mean? did you hear postgame speech in USO-2006 final or AO-2007 final.

Dementieva Guts
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:28 AM
just invalidated your whole post. maria always gives credit where credit is due. that im certain of. she isnt a self-absorbed winner or loser. go back and read all her post match pressers...but i dont think you'd be bothered by that. :lol:

what taping are you talking about? :rolleyes:

One thing I sure is sharapova and henin always got taped around there ankles or thighs. They played with these through the year, it doesn't seems to bother much:eek: . I can't buy the fact that they always need useless massages after 3 straight game lost for example.

For the post game stuff: I may be wrong but it seems to me that sharapova often talk about opponents with that sarcastic tone in her voice. She says good things about others just to not get into some wars of words

Shimizu Amon
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:29 AM
Masha whatever is going on get well soon :hug:

And I could say a lot about the hate that is spread throughout this forum. But I will just keep it to myself, because most posters are just way beneath me or any normal civilised conversation, it would be a lost cause trying to have a decent debate.

But some of you people out there really need some :help:

harloo
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:40 AM
I think Maria is mentally drained. She's been serving poorly, has the weight of expectation on her shoulders being the #1 player, just suffered one of the most crushing defeats of her early career, and most likely is dealing with a minor injury. She should of just wen't home to re-group after the AO final. Something tells me her camp wanted her to show for the enormous apperance fee. Hopefully, now she can relax and train for the clay season.

franny
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:47 AM

No, it is an inductive argument, not a deductive argument. It is simply more likely that Maria's injury really did affect her, as opposed to the countless other people in here to claim that it HAD to be she was just getting her ass kicked and she retired because of it. Again, my argument is not about whether Maria lost or not. She lost, I accept it. My argument is about why she retired, and quite simply put, it is much more likely, according to my arguments, that she retired because she really was hurt and that it affected her play.

franny
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:48 AM

Thank you!! Someone with good logical reasoning.

bruingirl
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:56 AM
For anyone who's interested in what Maria had to say:

Sharapova forced to retire (http://www.eurosport.co.uk/tennis/wta-tokyo/2007/sport_sto1074818.shtml)

Her explanation is very plausible. I'm always amazed at how irrational people can get when it comes to top players they don't like. Obviously nobody can say for certain how badly she was injured, whether it was a combination of a groggy body and mental fatigue that forced her to retire or even whether she was faking it because Ana was playing so well. I think she deserves the benefit of the doubt. Sure, Maria's not perfect, but she doesn't strike me as being a quitter.

Dan23
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:01 AM
Why accept something simple when conspiracy theories can be made.

kittyking
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:09 AM
Marias serve has been very off this week, think about the number of double faults she made in the last few days and number of sets shes dropped.
Marias injured, its a shame that she couldnt go on any further - shes a fighter.

P.S. Im not a Maria Sharapova fan, but I am disgusted by some of your comments here

IMPOSSIBLE
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:14 AM
Hamstring Injury (strain) apparently shes had it all week

ce
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:29 AM
:rolleyes: ,she coudnt take another 6/1 6/2

miura
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:30 AM
You're so funny I forgot to laugh.

Princeza
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:10 AM
YOU
Ivanovic was about to give Sharapova the same scoreline Serena gave her in the Aussie Open finals, so she retired. :lol:

Sharapova is such a douchebag.

ARE

STUPID
This is quite the truth buddy

Oh Nelly ! Runway Sharapova retires after trailing 61, what a SHOCKER :eek:

You can tell everytime that lazy model gets a little bit of competition, her true motive comes out screaming. She's only playing to show herself on tv. She has no commitment at all, She's a lazy, drama queen diva with lots of money.:wavey:

TROLLS
Welcome back semipova... You won your second and last career slam last year...

DOUBLEFIST
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:11 AM
No, it is an inductive argument, not a deductive argument. It is simply more likely that Maria's injury really did affect her, as opposed to the countless other people in here to claim that it HAD to be she was just getting her ass kicked and she retired because of it. Again, my argument is not about whether Maria lost or not. She lost, I accept it. My argument is about why she retired, and quite simply put, it is much more likely, according to my arguments, that she retired because she really was hurt and that it affected her play.

Franny I appreciate your argument, but to pin it on comparing her lack of retirements in the past is to ignore the variable changes in her career, and in so doing you make your own premise false.

Simply put, She has much more to lose now. There is a great deal more internal and external pressure on her to win these days. She's a brand now- a corporation. Many peoples livelyhoods depend on her winning (and I'm not just talkin' about Yuri's) A blistering, outright loss, the likes of which it seemed she was about to receive, is far more embarassing and costly for her as the newly minted world #1 than as the fresh young upstart she used to be. A "retirement" certainly looks better than a loss under these circumstances.

So while it's definitely a possibilty that it was nothing more than the injury, I don't think you can say it's much "more likely" that it was the injury. In addition, to draw the conclusion the injury HAD to have effected her 1st set play isn't necessarily all that absolute either. Yes, I know Shapo said she felt it in the second game of the 1st set. But, it's not like she had been playing all that spectacularly against mediocre players prior to Ana and the injury, so it's not to difficult to conclude that a player of Ivanovic caliber would immediately and comprehensively give her a hard time, no matter whether she was injured or not.

All this having said, I don't think it's crazy to think that she could've retired SOLELY because of the hammy tweak.

It's just that I don't think your line of reasoning makes it as irrefutable(sp) as you would like to think.

Dan23
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:19 AM
the lengths people go to :o
Maria was injured....weighed up against risk of further injury she couldnt play at an acceptable level....so she retired. Call Mulder and Scully

ioni
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:30 AM
maria seems to take losing in stride, like her 6-0,6-0 lose to lindsay. shes probably a little wore out from the AO. she really hasn't played well all year.

ALL YEAR ??? !!! is allready december ?? :confused:

Ben.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:31 AM
fact is that maria retired & ana is into the final, end of story!

ioni
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:34 AM
So....Im not a fan of Sharapova....so people give me bad rep.....thats really stupid.....

:lol: :devil:

ioni
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:37 AM

and i hope Ana wins end of story ! :lol:

miss molly
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:46 AM
Maria struggles the whole week, making lots of double faults, I reckon she has a problem. She is exhausted after Melbourne, maybe she shouldn't play Tokyo. But apparently Ana played great, all the credit to her. I'm happy she's in the final. I like her and if she can be more consistent, she can be top10:)

Sefo
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:48 AM
Maria looked ill indeed.

gmak
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:04 AM
Maria has retired only TWICE from a match!
against Maria Kirilenko in Shanghai and today...

she didn't retire when she got beat by Lindsay and Serena...
do you think she was afraid of Ivanovic? please :rolleyes:

and she held her serve to go 1-0 up in the second :shrug:
she had a hamstring problem...

gmak
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:07 AM
trolls will always be trolls :shrug:

Dasha_
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:45 AM
because she didn't want AO final result to happen again... not so soon, at least...

Sefo
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:45 AM
She retired because Mike Joice said so.
At least this is what we all obviously saw.

ioni
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:48 AM

:eek: :confused:

I<3Myskina
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:50 AM
"hamstring injury"

:haha:

Sefo
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:50 AM
:eek: :confused:

She was winning the first game, then Mike shaked head like NO NO (strangely?!?!), and she called the umpire.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:52 AM
Lol the people who are saying that she retired because she was losing are do wrong :rolleyes: If so then tell me, why didn't she retire at AO when she was losing to Serena so badly or when Davenport defeated her 60 60.. Tell me, why? :rolleyes:

Rerun
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:55 AM
Lol the people who are saying that she retired because she was losing are do wrong :rolleyes: If so then tell me, why didn't she retire at AO when she was losing to Serena so badly or when Davenport defeated her 60 60.. Tell me, why? :rolleyes:
:clap2: :clap2:

Can you post the Maria's interview post match. I can't find it:rolleyes:

Lunatiq
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:17 AM
another unsport behaviour from Sharapova???

bournerdan
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:35 AM
trolls will always be trolls :shrug:

Basically you're a troll if you have an opinion that actually criticises someone. I accept that some people believe Sharapova was injured and that's why she retired, and so those people should accept in return that I believe she was getting her ass handed to her in a big way and decided to make for the hills. I don't doubt she has a niggling injury but it was no way enough for her to have to make a bolt for it.

Some people like Sharapova and think the suns shine out of her.....some people, like myself, are not so keen......get over it......If everyone agreed then wouldn't even having discussions on this board be kind of pointless?

The way I see it, Ivanovic was just better than Sharapova on the day and Sharapova couldn't take it........all we can hope is that this clear career threatening injury doesn't keep her out too long....:lol:

mboyle
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:15 AM
Basically you're a troll if you have an opinion that actually criticises someone. I accept that some people believe Sharapova was injured and that's why she retired, and so those people should accept in return that I believe she was getting her ass handed to her in a big way and decided to make for the hills. I don't doubt she has a niggling injury but it was no way enough for her to have to make a bolt for it.

Some people like Sharapova and think the suns shine out of her.....some people, like myself, are not so keen......get over it......If everyone agreed then wouldn't even having discussions on this board be kind of pointless?

The way I see it, Ivanovic was just better than Sharapova on the day and Sharapova couldn't take it........all we can hope is that this clear career threatening injury doesn't keep her out too long....:lol:

No you are a troll if, like yourself, you are stupid enough to believe something that is obviously untrue and inconsistent with the past.

Sharapova was beaten by Davenport 6-0; 6-0 she didn't retire.
Sharapova was beaten by Serena 6-1; 6-2 she didn't retire.
Sharapova was beaten 6-4; 6-4 by Jamea fucking Jackson and didn't retire.

In her entire career, Maria has retired ONCE in the middle of a match.

Kirilenko Beijing 2005 down 4-6; 1-2 (did not play for another month, turned out she had a misdiagnosed and very serious shoulder injury)

Thanks. Goodbye.:wavey:

Craigy
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:20 AM
Well I suppose you can't actually be injured these days :rolleyes: According to some people in here, if you retire you're just a big scaredy cat :)
:weirdo:

TeaMMashA
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:23 AM
Some people need to get out more :lol:

Maria loves to fight back she says it many times.

xan
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:29 AM
Maria very rarely retires.

But I suppose she's the one player who's never allowed to be injured. :rolleyes:

It was quite clesr from the start of the match that Maria wasn't anything like her normal self. She was listless and serving at half speed. At the end of the 1st set she had medical treatment on her hamstring. she came out and played the first game - which she WON! But half way through she looked in pain and served two double faults. Her trainer was shaking his head. At the end of the game she called the tournament officials and retired.

ImaVeggie
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:30 AM

Exactly! Why the back and forth crap? Accept it & move on. What has to be proved? The bottom line for me is that "I LOVE TENNIS!"

CORIA01
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:36 AM
Well she said that she retired because of a streaming injury. She felt bad on her "ischio jambiers" wich are muscles. But I think that is due to Ana's performance too! So well done ANA:bounce:

Serge007
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:37 AM
She was winning the first game, then Mike shaked head like NO NO (strangely?!?!), and she called the umpire.
stupid opinion... May be so: Mike shaked head like "no withdraw", "no withdraw". But Sharapova withdraw. :-)

TeaMMashA
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:39 AM
stupid opinion... May be so: Mike shaked head like "no withdraw", "no withdraw". But Sharapova withdraw. :-)

Well then that would have been wrong of Michael Joyce to say, nobody knows the pain of an injury better then the sufferer at the current time :rolleyes:

She is not a robot dude.

<!Society!>
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:40 AM
sharapova normally plays best when shes under pressure

for her to retire after 1 set in a tier I semi-final for "losing" i find hard to beleive.

wait and see, i cant beelive how many people on here will do anything just to slate a tennis player :rolleyes:

Chriskip
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:09 PM
At least this is what we all obviously saw.

It seemed that even the umpire didnt buy the injury deal and refused the trainer at first. Maria and Joyce cussed about it. Maybe they were seeing that it was a no win situation for them since the officials were definitely on their side.

Fifth-seeded Ivanovic stormed into a one-set lead as an out-of-sorts Sharapova struggled on serve and the top seed called for her trainer at the end of the first set.
With on-court coaching allowed in Tokyo, Sharapova and coach Michael Joyce had a testy exchange with the umpire after the player was initially denied treatment for her injury.
An angry Sharapova, who won the Tokyo title in 2005, demanded to see her trainer and Joyce accused the umpire of not knowing the rules. The trainer was eventually allowed on court.

She said she had pain during the second game of the first set. I cannot understand why a player who went in with a tight and supposedly injured hamstring, would ignore that for 6 games. I can understand why the umpire may have been hesitant if no deterioration in play related to the hamstring was noticed. Maria's serve has been off, so that cannot be blamed on this injury. She said she was fit at AO and the serve was bad then too. Maria and Joyce are more frustrated than anything now and first they took it out on each other, now the umpire. Maybe its a good thing she has taken a break because next she could have taken it out on another player....and I dont mean like how she normally does in the context of play.

<!Society!>
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:11 PM
i put the reasons courtesy of bbc.co.uk on a thread somewhere on the first general message page :)

Darth Vaida
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:12 PM
no more bananas ?:shrug:

frenchie
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:17 PM
Maria sucks!!
she's getting higher and higher on my official "hate list"

<!Society!>
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:21 PM
i used to despise her, especially after what she done to my lindsay that year in wimbledon :(

then she kinda grew on me, but now shes getting a litttttle to cocky i think. But then again if she needs the trainers she needs the trainer

Emina.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:02 PM
at least now we all know the real reason for her poor performances.

:hug: Mashenka :hug: she'll be back sooner than you all imagine :)

mykarma
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:23 PM
That was mean. :lol::lol::lol:

mykarma
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:30 PM
I was thinking the same thing. If this had been Serena :help:

mykarma
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:36 PM
And Serena was a longer shot. :tape:

Dasha_
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:36 PM
That was mean. :lol::lol::lol:

no. just thrue.

mykarma
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:41 PM
Since Serena beat the player that beat them, why is she so lucky? You folks need to get over it. Serena was not going to be denied that AO trophy.
:bounce::bounce::bounce:

madame_maria
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:15 PM
hating trolls are like so disgusting. i didn't bother reading on after page 4.

Vlad Tepes
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:29 PM
Oh crap, another world no 1 who gets outplayed too often. :rolleyes: At least Maria does not eat so many bagels compared to Momo. I really hope Justine gets the no 1 spot very soon, as she is clearly the best.

FoxyliciousKhat
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:40 PM
Since Serena beat the player that beat them, why is she so lucky? You folks need to get over it. Serena was not going to be denied that AO trophy.
:bounce::bounce::bounce:

My point exactly when I read that post about serena being lucky she did not play Henin, MoMo, Kim or Kuzzie. Fact is she beat those players (except Henin of course who did not play) that beat the same one she was so LUCKY not to have played.

And BTW people the same out of form Maria made it to the finals and beat Kim who Serena was SO LUCKY not to have played.

Foxy

rjd1111
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:16 PM
Can anyone tell me what was the reason of Maria's retirement? Did she have any injury, medical time out etc.? Thanks

She may have had a Serena Flashback. 1-6 first set.
She is getting more like Henin all the time.

lecciones
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:20 PM
Oh crap, another world no 1 who gets outplayed too often. :rolleyes: At least Maria does not eat so many bagels compared to Momo. I really hope Justine gets the no 1 spot very soon, as she is clearly the best.

very funny. also about the serena flashback. But well according to her she served and when she put weight on her foot her thigh started hurting. It must be true, why else explain all the UGLY DF's - she couldn't move her thigh to make a good serve. Besides all players who depend on power too much get injured frequently.

nhissan
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:26 PM

I love bagel :drool:

hotandspicey
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:51 PM

:lol: That Serena flashback is enough to give anyone an 'injury'. Shit, I would have ran like hell too. :lol:

Andy.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:04 PM
Because she had an injury and couldnt play on :rolleyes:

bunch_01
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:06 PM
Get well soon Maria. I really hate your marketing machine but I dont want anyone out there Serena didn't have any competition this year when she (hopefully) gets her calendar grand slam.

Sefo
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:09 PM

:lol: That Serena flashback is enough to give anyone an 'injury'. Shit, I would have ran like hell too. :lol:

You haters, she was injured throughout the AO, but she was just too proud to admit it.
Serena thought she's that good.:lol:

Simplicity.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:14 PM
Ive won pretty badly and Ive also lost pretty badly and its not fun but I would never consider quitting and Im not a good tennis player like Sharapova lol so it dont think she retired cuz she lost badly in the first set.

Why wouldnt she at least stick around to finish, what if Ana had been injured. Looking at the ATP from yesterday..Roitman won teh first set 6-0 against Massu but Massu didn't quit and Roitman was forced to retire after the end of the 2nd set.

I really dont think Maria quit, but I guess everyone on these boards is a doctor so maybe I shouldnt be making such claims cuz Im not a doctor, how long til we see a Maria is a faker thread?

Natasc
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:20 PM
Ive won pretty badly and Ive also lost pretty badly and its not fun but I would never consider quitting and Im not a good tennis player like Sharapova lol so it dont think she retired cuz she lost badly in the first set.

Why wouldnt she at least stick around to finish, what if Ana had been injured. Looking at the ATP from yesterday..Roitman won teh first set 6-0 against Massu but Massu didn't quit and Roitman was forced to retire after the end of the 2nd set.

I really dont think Maria quit, but I guess everyone on these boards is a doctor so maybe I shouldnt be making such claims cuz Im not a doctor, how long til we see a Maria is a faker thread?

So true!! :worship:

(about the bold part): exactly :rolleyes:

Rome
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:46 PM
My point exactly when I read that post about serena being lucky she did not play Henin, MoMo, Kim or Kuzzie. Fact is she beat those players (except Henin of course who did not play) that beat the same one she was so LUCKY not to have played.

And BTW people the same out of form Maria made it to the finals and beat Kim who Serena was SO LUCKY not to have played.

Foxy

Yeah why would you belive Kim would have beating Serena when she could not even beat maria good job of making a fool of your self for this post:lol:

Rome
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:57 PM
You haters, she was injured throughout the AO, but she was just too proud to admit it.
Serena thought she's that good.:lol:

I would have to say Serena is that good. Serena h2h speaks for itself and even if you look at the 2005 W SF where Venus should have won in to easy sets but did'nt. I think venus likes to make it hard on self but the Second set was how the first set should have went but what do I know i'm just a tennis fan :lol:

Simplicity.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:05 PM
What does Venus ahve to do with Serena and Maria?

Rome
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:16 PM

nothing

Rome
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:26 PM

But i will say this they have the same coaches and have live with one another for all there life but what do I know i'm just some tennis fan :D

alias
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:27 PM
Maria retired cause she wants to attend the superbowl parties or maybe hit up fashion week!

*JR*
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:29 PM
You can tell everytime that lazy model... She has no commitment at all, She's a lazy, drama queen diva with lots of money. :wavey:
Please stop talking about Miss Anna Kournikova that way (even though its true). ;)

Rome
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:29 PM
Maria retired cause she wants to attend the superbowl parties or maybe hit up fashion week!

lol

worksux
Feb 4th, 2007, 12:25 AM
At 15 - 0 in the 2nd game she serves a double fault and her hand goes straight to her leg. At least that's what I saw.:shrug:

Fingon
Feb 4th, 2007, 02:49 AM

Vaidisova is another overrated player, Hingis? she can be overpowered, she has also lost to other players that haven't become the hottest girl in tour. Clijsters? she has no motivation. And to be the "hottest", she needs not to strech the top players, she needs to beat them.