PDA

View Full Version : Ivanovic Def Sharapova 6-1 0-1 Ret.

Aaron.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:43 AM
:tape:

skanky~skanketta
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:44 AM
what happened?

Derek.
:eek:

LudwigDvorak
but omg maria was up a game in the second she wuz gunna win :weirdo:

Good job Ana. First final since Montreal.

Dexter
What was the problem? Just 'Im getting my ass kicked' syndrome? :scratch: I hope nothing serious happened.

Anyway well done Ana on getting into your 2nd Tier I final :hug: Good luck whoever you play.

Jaffas85
Was Ivanovic playing well or was Sharapova just so beset by injury that she really had no chance to win games in that first set?

Thanks.

OZTENNIS
The beginning of the end of Maria Sharapova!!!

bucklemyshoe
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:45 AM
congrats ana on being first player younger than maria to beat her

Emina.
Masha :sad: go rest a bit then come back...:crying2: :sobbing:

ShockSpin
What happened with Maria?

maddogz48
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:46 AM
As expected... Sharapova has played like shit from the start of the tournament. She should now take a couple weeks off and go and work on her shitty serves.

Congrats on reaching the Tokyo Finals Ana.

Aaron.
This is probally nothing serious Maria will be back for Dubai :shrug:

Brooklyn90
she played bad all tournament long, she must have something wrong with her.

starin

lol...lets not be overdramatic. Her career is far from over. I'm curious as to what injury Maria has? Is it the same pectoral injury she had before?

Dan23
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:47 AM
What was the problem? Just 'Im getting my ass kicked' syndrome? :scratch:
please :unsure: :o

Ben.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:48 AM
congrats ana on reaching the final :yeah: she's been serving very well this week & deserves to be in the final :yippee:

wonder what happened to maria :shrug: hope she didn't retire just cause she was getting beaten by ana pretty easily.

perseus2006
For sure!

Pova's the only player to ever be injured and retire during a match.

Oztennis, you are surely right. No player has ever recovered from injury.

Serge007
F in AO, SF in Tokio. Beginning of the end? It's funny.

hablo
What was the problem? Just 'Im getting my ass kicked' syndrome? :scratch: I hope nothing serious happened.

Considering who your second favourite is . . . :tape:

Lulu.
Damn :o :rolleyes:

In The Zone
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:49 AM
Strange. Maria's confidence was because of her consistency and now she is losing that. Oh no.

StZox
I don't like when a match ends like this.
I don't think it is anything serious.
Ana played awesome. This is that girl who won Montreal. I really think that she will make it!!!AJDE ANA! Take this title!!!:)

plantman
Was Ivanovic playing well or was Sharapova just so beset by injury that she really had no chance to win games in that first set?

Thanks.

Makes her A.O. loss less of an upset! She clearly has something wrong with her. Hope it's not serious!!:sad:

walk_away
Great win Ana. :yeah: It's a pity you didn't get to enjoy the match points which I am am sure would have come.

Don't know what's wrong with Sharapova, but I hope she will be O.K.

tennis_pIayer
if ana wins, she'll be # 11 :-o jumping 5 spots! awesome. i give her a good chance vs either dementieva or hingis.

jitterbug
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:50 AM
but omg maria was up a game in the second she wuz gunna win :weirdo:

She was up a game in the second only because she managed to hold serve. Nothing extraordinary.

aussie12
omg, im so happy, sucked in to all the doomsdayers that were writing ana off a month ago.

alias
Go Ana:bounce:

ezekiel
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:51 AM
This is ridiculous, what kind of a sport stops a match after getting beaten in front of paying public :mad:

But great play from Ana and confirmation of her better form since she became coachless :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Dani12
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:51 AM
LOL! Funny stuff ... Well done Ana, you deserved to win anyway, good luck in the final. :)

Dexter
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:52 AM
omg, im so happy, sucked in to all the doomsdayers that were writing ana off a month ago.just wait and see when all of those naysayers jump back on her bandwagon :rolls: :tape:

crazyroberto6767
Definitely happy that Ana is in another Tier I final (or just a final in general :p), although this isn't the ideal way to do it. But a very solid first set from Ana for sure, and she's been great all tournament. Plus, now I'm definitely going to have 2 of my favorites in the final.

:scratch: Wonder what's up with Maria. Hope it's nothing serious.

Bruno71
Right now, Zvonareva, Chakvetadze, & especially Clijsters must be wondering how they lost to this woman last week.

SJW
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:53 AM
Considering who your second favourite is . . . :tape:

Like seriously! :rolleyes:
People should give Maria a fucking break. There'll be a good reason. She can actually handle her losses.

Ana I :hearts: Luv ya babe :yeah:

tennisskirt59
Maybe its I know I'm going to lose so I'LL stop so no one will figure out that I'm sowly going down for the count.:wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :help:

Aaron.
Right now, Zvonareva, Chakvetadze, & especially Clijsters must be wondering how they lost to this woman last week. Pin. :tape:

brokenflowers
Noooo! What happened to Maria?;(

Dan23
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:54 AM
This is ridiculous, what kind of a sport stops a match after getting beaten in front of paying public :mad:
someone with a good reason usually

StZox
omg, im so happy, sucked in to all the doomsdayers that were writing ana off a month ago.

Yeah, tell 'em:D

Win the title, ANA!
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

LudwigDvorak
She was up a game in the second only because she managed to hold serve. Nothing extraordinary.

I know; I was imitating what some people clearly think or would think.

eck
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:56 AM
Ana :yeah:
Strong showing :)

Marshmallow
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:57 AM
She didn't want another beat down. Couldn't handle it. Won a game at the start of the second to save face, and to hold on to the claim that she could win... Poor thing.

Nickitos2006
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:58 AM
Masha, please rest properly. 3 weeks of tennis, including GS final - it's too much. She's really tired. Both mentally and physically...

Wednesday
Ana :yeah:

-jenks-
Glad to know you are finally showing your great potential Ana!! Please win this title so you will be just one spot away from the top 10!!!

Derek.
If Ana wins this Tier I too, there will be controversy on both of her Tier I titles. :o

Couver
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:00 AM
Sharapova is obviously hampered by something. I'm not saying Ivanovic can't beat her, or doesn't deserve the win but with the ret, you have to assume something is up with her physically.

I think it's really in poor taste that people kick a player when they are down. I mean really.

Congrats to Ivanovic though, and hopefully a speedy recovery for Sharapova.

Dexter
If Ana wins this Tier I too, there will be controversy on both of her Tier I titles. :olmao. ah there is always some kind of drama with her :o

guess what, I wouldn't care at all! :p

DAVAJ MKirilenko
A hamstring injury was the cause (at least they said so).
It's not that Maria played really bad it was more that Ana hit the ball fine!
Ana served really well, 70% 1st serve and no breakpoint for Maria.
Ana 13 winnners and 6 UE's. Maria 4 winnners and 10 UE's.

With this form Ana can certainly beat Martina or Elena!
I already see the reactions. Ana wins another weak Tier I.

skanky~skanketta
Right now, Zvonareva, Chakvetadze, & especially Clijsters must be wondering how they lost to this woman last week.if anything, clijsters was playing worse than shit. vera and anna were playing well though, just lacked that extra something.

Bruno71
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:02 AM
if anything, clijsters was playing worse than shit. vera and anna were playing well though, just lacked that extra something.

I agree about Clijsters...she'd have to be playing worse than shit to lose that match in straights :lol:

I should add that if Maria's truly injured, that could explain her mediocre play, at least this week.

Derek.
lmao. ah there is always some kind of drama with her :o

guess what, I wouldn't care at all! :p

I know you wouldn't. :p

Nice avatar. ;)

-jenks-
If Ana wins this Tier I too, there will be controversy on both of her Tier I titles. :o

I don't think so. Montreal was a great tournament for her, beating Hingis in the final was great. Although it was a week field, she came out on top.

This week she's been playing great, taking out Jankovic in she quarters and completly dominating Sharapova and forcing her into retirement. If she wins this week it was a great title win for her and there shouldn't be controversy on it, it should all be on Sharapova's retirement after getting schooled by someone who is younger than her.

bellascarlett
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:04 AM
People will believe whatever they want to believe...;)

Anyway, Masha...obviously a long rest to ponder and recover is much needed. Hope the retirement is precautionary more than anything. Struggled all week and really since the beginning of the season...very unusual...please get your serve back and your game together. :hug:

She'll bounce back...:bounce:

-jenks-
I agree about Clijsters...she'd have to be playing worse than shit to lose that match in straights :lol:

I should add that if Maria's truly injured, that could explain her mediocre play, at least this week.

If this "injury" is her excuse for her bad play all week, why didn't she retire when she was down a set to Sugiyama?

supergrunt
its not fair to say that clijsters didn't play well becusae both Maria and Clijsters admitted that she had just "stepped it up" in that semi :rolleyes:

StZox
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:06 AM

The points she gains to help her be closer to Top 10 matters only.
I also expect similar reactions. But you need more than just luck to win Tier I. And that is a remarkable forehand, a strong serve... Ana has it
AJDE ANA:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

jitterbug
I know; I was imitating what some people clearly think or would think.

Sorry :)

Derek.
I don't think so. Montreal was a great tournament for her, beating Hingis in the final was great. Although it was a week field, she came out on top.

This week she's been playing great, taking out Jankovic in she quarters and completly dominating Sharapova and forcing her into retirement. If she wins this week it was a great title win for her and there shouldn't be controversy on it, it should all be on Sharapova's retirement after getting schooled by someone who is younger than her.

She wasn't really schooled. :o

She was injured and Ana didn't "force" her into retirement.

bruingirl
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:07 AM
Go Ana!!!:bounce::worship: Ivanovic has played great all week. I like Dementieva, but I'd love to see Ivanovic v Hingis in the final.

Pity Maria retired. I don't know what's wrong with her, but she's played a lot of tennis over the past few weeks, so it's hardly surprising that her body's starting to protest.

pooh14
kim was clearly out of energy after a tough match against hingis.

if she had a day break, i though the results could be different.
anyway, except for Serena, i do not think anybody is playing top form at the moment :p

StZox
By the way,
I agree with IVANOVIC FAN:)

bellascarlett
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:08 AM

Guess Kim has been playing worse than shit for far too long. Maria beat her the last 3 times they played...all in straight sets. :lol:

Kim didnt play great at the AO but Maria is already at that point where she could beat Kim regularly. ;)

Josh.
ana !! :D

maria.. hope she ok :)

2moretogo
Go Ana!

Wow Maria? What's up? Do y'all think it is the shoulder?

Wonder if Yuri was making any signs from the stands like, "Retire now! You have defended your points, or most of them. On to Dubai!

Dementieva Guts
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:10 AM

we cannot call it a controversy if Ivanovic go to win Tokyo after winning Montreal last year. It's not Ivanovic's fault if she scrambles, grinding through every little injuries while princesses made of glasses (sharapova for example) cannot play with little nail injuries.

Hat off to Ivanovic, like many under appreciated player, to not getting THE QUITTER TAG on yourself :hatoff:

aussie12
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:10 AM
the negativity on this board is unreal, 'oh shes beaten another weak field', whatever she beat a form player in hingis, she was a set up against the world number 1. if you cant say anything nice than shut up.

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:12 AM
The points she gains to help her be closer to Top 10 matters only.
I also expect similar reactions. But you need more than just luck to win Tier I. And that is a remarkable forehand, a strong serve... Ana has it
AJDE ANA:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Ana played great in Montreal and deserved to win, but people like to talk more about the players who weren't there.
This can be the same.
Say what you want all here, but you can't deny that Ana played really well!

Leopold Stotch
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:13 AM
Surely the "controversy" lies with the player that retires not her opponent. The paying public doesn't like to see retirements. Ana's job is to go in there and win matches.

These two are gonna have some great matches over the coming years. There's a bit of needle there which is good for the game.

-jenks-
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:14 AM
the negativity on this board is unreal, 'oh shes beaten another weak field', whatever she beat a form player in hingis, she was a set up against the world number 1. if you cant say anything nice than shut up.

I agree, Ana was just overwhelming Sharapova, and Masha knew if she was going to win it would be a long three setter, that she didn't want to play. Instead of letting Ana experience a true win against the number one player, she pulled a justine! :o Pathetic.

austennis
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:14 AM
omg, im so happy, sucked in to all the doomsdayers that were writing ana off a month ago

if ana wins, she'll be # 11 jumping 5 spots! awesome. i give her a good chance vs either dementieva or hingis.

Lol lets try to not over react people.. Ana seems to have played well but Maria wasnt Maria sharapova at her peak .. so before we start celebrating ana and demeaning maria remember that

franny
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:17 AM

I think it's obvious from those stats that Sharapova was hurt. If she isn't hurt, she won't be hitting 4 unforced errors and 10 unforced errors. I think that hamstring injury shows that something probably limited her footwork. I wonder if it's the cause for the service woes too. With a hamstring injury, you can't push up with your legs the same way to reach your serve. Hopefully Maria recovers well, and then takes the tour by storm.

It's amazing by the way how people love to kick others when they are down. They did it to Serena, and they learned their lesson. And now another champion is going through a tough time with her serve and injuries and people are already jumping all over her. I seriously need to get away from the stupidity here sometimes. I can't believe that a semifinal lost to a quality opponent all of a sudden means your career is over.

WTAfanatiks
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:17 AM
Congrats, ANA! :yippee: Hope you win in the finals :hehehe:

Too bad Maria has to :bolt:

austennis
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:18 AM
if she had a day break, i though the results could be different.
anyway, except for Serena, i do not think anybody is playing top form at the moment

I'd say that Jankovic has been, Ana seems to be and just look at MARTINA and Elena - Elena had more ACES than Double fualts last match !!!

njnetswill
Sharapova's serve has really gone downhill seemingly from nowhere. How did she go from one of the top servers into the worst? :confused:

Greenout
:tape:

Maria- umm... stop trying to imitate Justine, only she is allowed to do this!

Bruno71
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:19 AM
If this "injury" is her excuse for her bad play all week, why didn't she retire when she was down a set to Sugiyama?

Because she felt she could still beat Sugiyama and hope for the best for the sf? Who knows...it's all speculation anyway.

Bruno71
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:21 AM
Guess Kim has been playing worse than shit for far too long. Maria beat her the last 3 times they played...all in straight sets. :lol:

Kim didnt play great at the AO but Maria is already at that point where she could beat Kim regularly. ;)

Maria played MUCH better when she beat Kim in San Diego. I didn't see the match at YEC but Kim was still a little rusty from the injury layoff. Maria does own Kim now, but I'm just saying that Maria was incredibly beatable at the AO, and I'm surprised she made it to the finals.

Volcana
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:21 AM
The beginning of the end of Maria Sharapova!!!For a sport with a reputation for being elitist, tennis has a way of evincing the most distaste sentiments from some of it's fans.

Rome
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:27 AM
if anything, clijsters was playing worse than shit. vera and anna were playing well though, just lacked that extra something.

Not really if she watch the AO she aready knew how to beat maria serena held a clinic that night on how to beat maria sharapova

Dementieva Guts
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:29 AM

Runway Sharapova wanted to hang around against sugiyama because she was looking forward to get pampered one more day at her fancy hotel:baby: .

When she finally saw that she wasn't even close of Ivanovic league, she simply quit, fashion style. She maybe schedule to several photo shoots in New-York this Week-End.

Fingon
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:31 AM
Not really if she watch the AO she aready knew how to beat maria serena held a clinic that night on how to beat maria sharapova

You should assist to a clinic on how to construct sentences properly.

WonderfulLee
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:35 AM
congrats Anna!!!

Rome
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:38 AM
You should assist to a clinic on how to construct sentences properly.

And you should go put your head in the dirt, Jackass!!!!

Harju.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:38 AM
WTH is wrong with Sharapova's serve. It's DFs after DFs. :o
I hope Maria is fine.

dangerjenny
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:44 AM
whatever she loss,and that's that.

cellophane
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:53 AM
This just shows further that Maria wasn't herself in that loss in the finals last week.

Rome
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:54 AM
This just shows further that Maria wasn't herself in that loss in the finals last week.

lol

cellophane
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:59 AM
lol

What? You think last week was the best she could've played? People act like she played as well as she could have.

Hashim.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:04 AM
what is Kim doing in dis topic?:rolleyes:

for Sharapova::sad: :sad:

LindsayRulz
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:12 AM
:worship: Ana! :)

Langers
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:16 AM
Ana! :worship: Another Tier I Final! :worship: :worship:

What happened to Maria? Hope everything is alright.

Lindsayfanumber1
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:25 AM
Ana :) :banana:
Now won the tournament!!! :bounce:

ewbangkok
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:32 AM
Maybe Maira's mind is not strong enough after she lost to Rena

Sexysova
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:33 AM
congrats ana, but not fair win :) what happened to siren? :angel:

RenaSlam.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:36 AM
Ana :worship:

We love you.

Sharapova's_Boy
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:38 AM
Maria :sad: Hope it's nothing serious.

Some of you people are so pathetic.

AnA FORceD MARiA TO REtirE, BEcAuSE MAriA didN'T WAnT ANOThEr aSS KICkinG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111

Orion
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:40 AM
She wasn't really schooled. :o

She was injured and Ana didn't "force" her into retirement.

That's arguable. Remember when Groenefeld was injured in '05 when playing Sharapova, and people said it was a smart strategy to keep her moving so that her ankle would flare up? Ivanovic was smart to notice something was up with Sharapova's movement, and played accordingly. And yes, losing a set 6-1 is a schooling. It wasn't even a close 6-1 set.

Tennisation
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:43 AM
This just shows further that Maria wasn't herself in that loss in the finals last week.get ur head out of ur azz, Serena Killed her in that final, Maria just couldn't do anything besides shitting her pants. Don't use this retirement excuse to downgrade Serena's flawless OZ beatdown

No.1Hingis
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:49 AM
MARIA!!! and the final???...

where's my final Maria-Martina... we closed the compromise but you didnt Masha!!

Hope is nothing serious is just confidence troubles and she'll be back with a best serve.. that just can happen to anyone

kjn
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:51 AM
She was clearly limping after the match something must be wrong!!!!

cellophane
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:52 AM
get ur head out of ur azz, Serena Killed her in that final, Maria just couldn't do anything besides shitting her pants. Don't use this retirement excuse to downgrade Serena's flawless OZ beatdown

:weirdo: Just keep telling yourself that Maria played the best she could have in that match. If you think Maria playing her best would lose a maximum of 3 games, well, you are delusional, but then that was already obvious...

Tennisation
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:54 AM
:weirdo: Just keep telling yourself that Maria played the best she could have in that match. If you think Maria playing her best would lose a maximum of 3 games, well, you are delusional, but then that was already obvious...Of course Maria wasn't playing her best, it's not because she played like shit, it was because she wasn't allowed to play her game because of Serena. End of story!

cellophane
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:56 AM
Of course Maria wasn't playing her best, it's not because she played like shit, it was because she wasn't allowed to play her game because of Serena. End of story!

:lol: Sure... Not being able to get a first serve and throwing in crappy second serves is due to Serena. Serena played really well, but she didn't win it this easily for that reason alone.

Tennisation
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:59 AM
:lol: Sure... Not being able to get a first serve and throwing in crappy second serves is due to Serena.oh, how else do u explain not being able to return Serena's serve and getting her azz whooped at every single corner of the court? The poor girl was so scared she shit her pants and had to try and add sum extra to that serve cuz the return was commin back to her faster than her serve, hence the double faults

rottweily
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:00 AM
The JH curse, how dare you take my nb 1 spot :D

cellophane
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:02 AM
oh, how else do u explain not being able to return Serena's serve and getting her azz whooped at every single corner of the court? The poor girl was so scared she shit her pants and had to try and add sum extra to that serve cuz the return was commin back to her faster than her serve, hence the double faults

She couldn't get her first serve in.

Sharapova's_Boy
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:07 AM
Ugh.

If you want to discuss the AO final, why don't you dig up one of the 425890374895738495689012348919 threads on it.

aussie_fan
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:07 AM
Well Done Ana on getting through to the final. :)

cellophane
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:08 AM
Ugh.

If you want to discuss the AO final, why don't you dig up one of the 425890374895738495689012348919 threads on it.

Not really. This discussion is over as far as I'm concerned.

Congrats to Ana.

plantman
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:12 AM
:weirdo: Just keep telling yourself that Maria played the best she could have in that match. If you think Maria playing her best would lose a maximum of 3 games, well, you are delusional, but then that was already obvious...

Cellophane;

Pay know attention to the flaccid, delusional ones........they suffer from mental confusion & can't help it! We know the truth that's all that matters!

Shimizu Amon
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:14 AM
Too bad it had to end like this for Masha. I thought she was practicing her 2nd serve, hence the DF's but now that she retired I doubt that theory. Hopefully will get to here what Masha has to say in the interview.

Well good luck for you Ana in the final :yeah:

G~Playa
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:15 AM
she wanted to let ana win for a change

AcesHigh
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:33 AM
Congrats to Ivanovic. Sooooo happy to see her back.

Sharapova needs to rest. She's probably just tired and emotionally drained after a tough week. It's not so easy to suddenly turn your game on without any time away.
Remember guys, she came here right after AO... that's pretty rough for someone who played in the final.

améliemomo
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:07 AM
As expected:rolleyes:

skanky~skanketta
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:46 AM

well, Kim beat Maria in straight in Hong Kong.

and seriously, starting from the third game in the first set against hingis, Kim was playing really badly. i'm pretty objective when it comes to things like these. i don't simply say "oh my fave played badly" i admit that justine was soundly beaten by maria in the USO final last year. i mean, Maria is great, but she played like crap the entire Australian Open. against Kim, she played slightly better. but Kim was at the same level she was in the hingis match. just errors all over the place! i mean, so many routine forehands and backhands miles out! Kim does make errors, but never as many as that.

ioni
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:51 AM
Maria :hug: Ana , take the title now ! :yeah:

Sefo
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:55 AM
well, Kim beat Maria in straight in Hong Kong.

and seriously, starting from the third game in the first set against hingis, Kim was playing really badly. i'm pretty objective when it comes to things like these. i don't simply say "oh my fave played badly" i admit that justine was soundly beaten by maria in the USO final last year. i mean, Maria is great, but she played like crap the entire Australian Open. against Kim, she played slightly better. but Kim was at the same level she was in the hingis match. just errors all over the place! i mean, so many routine forehands and backhands miles out! Kim does make errors, but never as many as that.

First, Hong Kong doesn't matter, it was an exhibition.
Secondly, at the AO against Kim, Maria serve got better and most of the points she won were Kim's lob returns on Maria's kickass serve, if you recall.

gmak
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:56 AM
Maria :sad: :hug:
she doesn't retire from matches often, hope she will be fine for Dubai!

brokenflowers
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:02 AM
I'd rather her rest well than appearing in many many matches. I hope she'll be fit and get her serve back on once she's back.

Slumpsova
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:08 AM
another Tier I final for Ana :eek:
please, girl, please take this result to other Tier IIs and Slams :o

Orion
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:09 AM
congrats ana, but not fair win :) what happened to siren? :angel:

You can't have it both ways. Sharapova has benefited from retirements before, and people were crowing about how great she must have played when she was down to force errors from an injured opponent (vs. Serena, 2004 YEC, vs. Groenefeld, 2005 Moscow). You can't say those were fair wins if you don't believe this was.

For my part, I think all of those were fair wins.

Orion
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:10 AM
To the disgruntled Vaidisova fans calling Ivanovic's Tier I finals questionable, maybe your girl should get there first.

Freakan
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:12 AM
Ana :woohoo:

~Carsten~
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:12 AM
omg she gave up. Ana won. Why always this drama?
I hope it is nothing serious

Poova
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:14 AM
Oh my god at my some people on here. :rolleyes:

Well done Ana! Maria - please take a week or two off and come back to kick ass in Dubai. :D

X|Fergie
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:15 AM
Maria :sad:

Uranus
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:20 AM
No, she would have deserved her wins, but the tournaments she would have won are definitely not worth Tier I's, more like Tier II's (even a poor one in Montreal :tape: ). 430 pts for winning Tokyo, it's way too much, for whoever wins it. But Ana had great wins throughout this week, despite this retirement! :D

I don't think Maria played really bad in AO final. Serena overpowered her. She was irresistible!
Maria had very fast serves that day, and made quite a lot of UE's, just like her previous matches in Melbourne :shrug:

skanky~skanketta
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:27 AM
First, Hong Kong doesn't matter, it was an exhibition.
Secondly, at the AO against Kim, Maria serve got better and most of the points she won were Kim's lob returns on Maria's kickass serve, if you recall.
IF you're a maria fan, you'd know that an exho matters to her. she's too much of a competitor.

Kim is a terrific returner. like i said, she played like crap.

LDF
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:27 AM
Maria :sad: :hug:

Neptune
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:28 AM
Congratz Ana,I'm proud of you!!!:bounce:

©@®eLess
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:36 AM
People stop blaming Maria...i'm sure Yuri had something to do with it :lol: Maybe he changed his shirt...or made a thumb down :lol:

spar
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:38 AM
Brilliant play in the 1st set allows to Ana go to final. I see her game. It`s fantastic. Sharapova has no chances today.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:41 AM
What happened? :shrug: I hope it's nothing serious.
I'm glad that Ana reached the final though :yeah:

Slumpsova
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:52 AM
To the disgruntled Vaidisova fans calling Ivanovic's Tier I finals questionable, maybe your girl should get there first.
that's so uncalled for :rolleyes:

vettipooh
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:57 AM
Ana :bounce: :banana: :hearts:
Best of luck in the final!

Natalicious
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:00 AM
ana :yeah:
first set was amazing! your FH-winners :drool:

good luck in the final!! you can win against hingis :worship:

Lunatiq
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:13 AM
I don't like Sharapova but I hope she is fine.

Mina Vagante
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:15 AM
:p :lol:

ioni
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:20 AM
I don't like Sharapova but I hope she is fine.

good to know ! :rolleyes:

Craigy
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:30 AM
Poor Maria. You don't think it could be that injury she had during one summer hard court season? The pectoral (sp?) problem?

Dexter
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:39 AM
Poor Maria. You don't think it could be that injury she had during one summer hard court season? The pectoral (sp?) problem?It's harmstring strain from what I know.

MrSerenaWilliams
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:45 AM
:hug: Masha, get better soon :sad:

Ana :bigclap: 2 Tier I finals in 6 months :yeah: bounce....familar opponent too :lol:

Craigy
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:48 AM
It's harmstring strain from what I know.

Well I suppose that could affect her serve in some way :p
Hope Maria gets better soon, I'd love a Serena-Maria rivalry :banana:

adrovi
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:05 PM
Ana :worship: :worship:

María :help: I hope it's nothing serious

new-york
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:11 PM
ana, so cool. win the whole.:hearts::devil::bounce:

maria, get well. :hug:

xan
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:18 PM
Sad for Maria. She looked listless throughout the match.

The injury would explain all her DF.

Final should be interesting.

Alicia Rocks
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:29 PM
Ana :woohoo: :D

CORIA01
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:47 PM
Maria was injured, Ana played very good so she WON!!!!!:bounce: Nice win Ana but against Martina it will be very tough!!!:devil:

Wintermute
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:57 PM
Leg injury forces Sharapova out

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42529000/jpg/_42529511_sharapova203.jpg

World number one Maria Sharapova was forced to retire from her semi-final at the Pan Pacific Open in Tokyo with a hamstring injury.

Sharapova, who trailed Serbia's Ana Ivanovic 1-6 1-0 at the time, said she felt a sharp pain after serving in the second game of the first set.

"It's always difficult to end the tournament this way," said the 19-year-old Russian.

Fifth-seeded Ivanovic stormed into a one-set lead as an out-of-sorts Sharapova struggled with her serve and called for her trainer at the end of the first set.

Although the Russian won her first service game of the second set, she was clearly limping and retired from the game. She revealed afterwards that she had been carrying a hamstring strain since the Australian Open.

"My left hamstring has been having tightness since the Australian Open but after a Grand Slam you are tight all over," said Sharapova, who lost to Serena Williams in last weekend's final in Melbourne. "But this was a sudden sharper pain after I landed after the serve. I asked the trainer and she said these kind of strains take seven or 10 days to recover from, so hopefully I can recover quickly.

"I was hoping the pain would settle or get better, but against a top player it is hard to get away with not serving or returning well."

BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/6326809.stm)

jazar
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:20 PM
the injury didnt look that serious, but it wouldnt have mattered cos ivanovic was on fire, taking the ball early and dominating. she exposed sharapova's poor movement and lack of volleying skills

Slampova
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:34 PM

When Ana reaches 2 GS Semis, The Top 10 and has 6 titles, get back to us :p

Slampova
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:37 PM
Poor Maria. Wonder why it took her so long to admit she was injured?
Anyways, get well soon and kick ass in Dubai :hug:

lecciones
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:40 PM

Didn't Kim win this finals match against sharapova at the start of the season at this Watsons Water Challenge thingy at Hong Kong or that wasn't included in WTA ranking points? I watched a replay this morning while waiting for my turn at the dentist.

I<3Myskina
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:51 PM
Didn't Kim win this finals match against sharapova at the start of the season at this Watsons Water Challenge thingy at Hong Kong or that wasn't included in WTA ranking points? I watched a replay this morning while waiting for my turn at the dentist.

Kim beat her 6-2 7-6 I think, but exhabition tournaments don't count towards ranking points.

Emina.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:58 PM
Masha :hug: :)

thank you for your effort,i know you'll be back soon :worship: :worship: :worship:

StZox
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:17 PM
Ana played great in Montreal and deserved to win, but people like to talk more about the players who weren't there.
This can be the same.
Say what you want all here, but you can't deny that Ana played really well!

I completely agree with you. I just replied to your message to continue what you were saying.
AJDE ANA!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Ballbasher
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:21 PM
Masha :bigcry:

the cat
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:27 PM
Congrats to Ana on the big win. :) I hope Masha's hamstring injury isn't serious. This is the first time Masha has ever lost a singles match to a younger player as a professional or junior and that has to upset her. :sad: As I'm sure getting shell shocked by Ana 6-1 in the first set did. :eek:

-Makiri-
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:59 PM
Ana :woohoo:

madame_maria
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:14 PM
the bashers are absolutely disgusting.

Vlad Tepes
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:22 PM
Wow, amazing first set score for Ana. :bounce:

Dasha_
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:26 PM
How can somebody run like craizy while trying to chase the ball, and have injured hamstring in the same time?

If you are being outplayed, the only honest ting is to stay on court untill the end, and thake it like a man.

sfselesfan
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:26 PM
Ana was playing really well. She deserves credit as well. I'm sure Maria will be fine. It's difficult to play a tier one the week after making the final of a slam. This is why (1) Indian Wells should be moved away from Key Biscayne (two 2 week tournaments back to back)...that took Sharapova out of cay season last year and (2) Wimbledon should be moved away from Roland Garros. Given the game today this is really getting insane.

SF

Just Do It
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:47 PM
Ana played GREAT yesterday !!!

Simplicity.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:19 PM
Yay!!!! Good first set by Ana :)

Nicolás89
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:55 PM

god:rolleyes:

Nicolás89
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:00 PM
Right now, Zvonareva, Chakvetadze, & especially Clijsters must be wondering how they lost to this woman last week.

she lose due to ret. today fgs:rolleyes:

she played very well against clijsters, chakvetadze was lost and confused and zvonareva emmm...... is fat:p :wavey:

Nicolás89
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:07 PM

that its soooo off the thread and besides not only vaidisovas fans thought that (hingis fans too:p)

Nicolás89
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:09 PM
It's harmstring strain from what I know.

im so ignorant i dont know what harmstring is:shrug:

Dawn Marie
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:35 PM
kim was clearly out of energy after a tough match against hingis.

If she had a day break, i though the results could be different.
anyway, except for Serena, i do not think anybody is playing top form at the moment :p

Kim wasn't out of energy she's fit. Very fit.

Kim's problem is that she has no plan B. If her game isn't working she continues to play her game anyway. Kim didn't try to change things up. She kept playing her plan A game and lost.

Orion
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:45 PM
that its soooo off the thread and besides not only vaidisovas fans thought that (hingis fans too:p)

Not really. Multiple Vaidisova fans pointed out that Ivanovic has now reached the finals of two Tier I's (not sure why they'd want to point it out...) with cushy draws. So, I simply pointed out why pointing that out seemed foolhardy.

hotandspicey
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:58 PM
Well done Ana.:woohoo: Was she trying to pull a Rena?? ;) :devil:

sweetpeas
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:37 PM
What was the problem? Just 'Im getting my ass kicked' syndrome

HA HA LOL SO FUNNY!!!

Andy.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:38 PM
Get well soon Masha

sweetpeas
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:38 PM
Makes her A.O. loss less of an upset! She clearly has something wrong with her. Hope it's not serious!! HA HA OOOOOOOOOOO BOY.

Reiken
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:13 PM
poor masha but great week for ana

-VSR-
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:24 PM
Ana nice demolishing 6-1 in the first set!

MikeJones
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:16 PM
Maria needs to look at some film of her when she wins. To see what shes doing differently. Maybe her serve and health have a little do with this too. She however needs a bit of a confidence boost as well.

Corswandt
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:02 PM
Looks like Maria is back to late 2005 in more ways than one.

Europe rocks
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:06 PM
Never nice for a match to end like this, but I hope Ana makes the most of her chances in the final

Corswandt
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:16 PM
Not really. Multiple Vaidisova fans pointed out that Ivanovic has now reached the finals of two Tier I's (not sure why they'd want to point it out...) with cushy draws. So, I simply pointed out why pointing that out seemed foolhardy.

Multiple Vaidisova fans? All on this thread? What are the odds of that considering in the whole of WTAW there's, like, four or five of us?

And talking crap, by the looks of it. Ivanovic's draw at the PPO hasn't been cushy. Vaidisova's draw at the AO on the other hand most certainly was.

Jealousy due to this fanciful idea, held by many on WTAW, that Sharapova-Vaidisova-Ivanovic will be the rivarly of the future. It won't.

Anyh00

This is Ivanovic's pattern: extreme streakyness. She'll tend to peak after several weeks of crashing out relatively early and appear rested and playing her best in tournaments where the other contenders are tired, burnt out or injured, go on a tear, and then relapse back into mediocrity as she begins to face tougher opposition who can exploit her weaknesses and as her own game deteriorates.

She did it at Montréal, and would have done the same at Linz if she hadn't faced a (relatively) in-form Maria early on.

DavenportForever
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:16 PM

great....

again...

good job ana!:)

disco_rage
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:19 PM
great....

again...

wow.. over react... MUCH!

Andy.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:23 PM
great....

again...

Yeah real gracious hoping for someones career to go down :rolleyes:

Orion
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:35 PM
Yeah real gracious hoping for someones career to go down :rolleyes:

It's right up there with cheering unforced errors by an injured opponent...or practicing serve while an opponent is on the ground with an ankle injury...or smiling and waving and bowing when an opponent withdraws from an ankle injury. All classy.

tobi
Feb 4th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Congrats Ana for reaching the final

Sad for Maria,had to retire

but this gave chance to board to talk about "Did Ana deserve or not"..... :lol:

See especially if she can beat Martina :lol:

hacberto
Feb 4th, 2007, 12:40 AM
I hope Maria is ok.

What happened??, I must say I was happy when I saw the score but I mean Maria are you ok?? Please I don't want you to be injured because you are so competitive:sad:

plantman
Feb 4th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Makes her A.O. loss less of an upset! She clearly has something wrong with her. Hope it's not serious!! HA HA OOOOOOOOOOO BOY.

Now that's the most intelligent thing you've said so far........How will your cohorts feel about you making such a statement? Ha Ha...........So Funny:lol: :lol: