PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova: Fact or fiction?

In The Zone
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:28 AM
We know Maria Sharapova has the power to contend with the other girls but does she has much else? I believe she has come to her rise based on her power alone. Serena and even Camille Pin exploited her movement, errors, and inability to do much else besides whack the ball. Nothing can be taken from her Wimbledon 2004 and US Open 2006 triumphs for she whacked the ball better than anyone else. Sharapova will always be a threat on grass but anywhere else? She is currently down a break to the streaky Ivanovic and after serving 17 then 14 double faults in her past two rounds; Maria Sharapova, Can she create a legacy similar to Hingis, Serena or Justine or will she falter and remain stagnant. Better to come or is this the real Sharapova, fact or fiction?

Correction*: Down a set, 6-1, to Ivanovic.

In The Zone
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:28 AM
Oh and by the way, I love and respect the girl. So I don't want to get any bad reps on this one. I am being truthful and observant.

Bruno71
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:40 AM
She does a little more than just whack the ball hard. She has very deep, fast, accurate shots and one of the better serves. That's enough to beat just about anyone ranked outside the top 10 without much of a sweat if everything's working.

Geisha
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:57 AM
I would have agreed with you a couple of years ago, but my opinion on Sharapova has changed recently. Yes, she does hit the ball very hard, and I can see why people would observe that that's all she does. In that same breath, we have seen constant improvement in Sharapova's game; her movement, accuracy, and fitness overall, have improved greatly.

The problem with Sharapova is that she does not have that natural "finesse" that the Williams Sisters, Hingis, or even Davenport had. She opens up the court well with angles and power, but she barely uses dropshots or slices, or traditional volleys in the ways that Serena or Capriati use(d). Things like these are what separate her from reaching her full potential and the rest of the other legends.

rottweily
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:32 AM
Serena has at least some brains to back up her power, but Sharapova I still doubt it.

PLP
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:14 AM
Well she already has a place booked in the Hall of Fame! :wavey:

I mean, there is no reason to think that Maria can't keep improving and winning big titles. Will competition continue to get more fierce!? Of course! But she will pick some more GS's IMO, no question.
She is #1 now and everyone is going to do there best to beat her and she has to get used to that.

I think she needs a physical and mental break right now and I expect her to come back 100% in defense of IW! Go Masha!!

miura
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:27 AM
I love how these topics always comes up when Maria is not playing at her best. I don't know if you've heard but she is actually injured, there's a reason for her recent lack of serve-success. You're pretty retarded if you think a player can play at her best even with a stinging injury.

ezekiel
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:54 AM
she is too robotic hence her future is questionable

jacobruiz
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:32 AM
She is injured.:rolleyes:

A hamstring "tweak" which will put her out for at least a week to ten days.

Hopes she takes care of it and comes back healthy.

Sefo
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:47 AM
How can anybody doubt the authenticity of a world number one? Fact or fiction? :help:
Do you really think she's been pumped by the media all this time? That's ridiculous.

Sharapova's_Boy
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:53 AM
WTF is up with all these dooms-day theories about Maria?

:weirdo:

goldenlox
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:33 PM
Sharapova not only hits hard, when she's playing well, she hits with depth.
She is currently #1 with 2 majors and still 19.

She at a level where she's going to be judged on # of majors won, and # of weeks at #1.

Right now, she's finished playing majors at 19. The next 4 are at 20. She's #1 this week and next week, then we'll see how many more.

DavenportForever
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:39 PM
wait...isnt sharapova "injured"

so can we stop saying that she is faltering in her career....

lecciones
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:43 PM
We know Maria Sharapova has the power to contend with the other girls but does she has much else? I believe she has come to her rise based on her power alone. Serena and even Camille Pin exploited her movement, errors, and inability to do much else besides whack the ball. Nothing can be taken from her Wimbledon 2004 and US Open 2006 triumphs for she whacked the ball better than anyone else. Sharapova will always be a threat on grass but anywhere else? She is currently down a break to the streaky Ivanovic and after serving 17 then 14 double faults in her past two rounds; Maria Sharapova, Can she create a legacy similar to Hingis, Serena or Justine or will she falter and remain stagnant. Better to come or is this the real Sharapova, fact or fiction?

Correction*: Down a set, 6-1, to Ivanovic.

I think her talent is able to whack the ball with some precision and consistency thats how she was able to win many titles. But aside from whacking the ball hard and screaming at the same time too, I don't know what else to say about how she plays.

Volcana
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:07 PM
She does a little more than just whack the ball hard. She has very deep, fast, accurate shots and one of the better serves. That's enough to beat just about anyone ranked outside the top 10 without much of a sweat if everything's working.Agree.

And please note that depth and accuracy won Chris Evert 18 GS singles titles. Power, with depth and accuracy, won Monica Seles nine GS singles titles. Neither of those players liked coming to net. Neither was the best server of their day. Neither was a great volleyer, though both were adequate if forced to come to net.

Sharapova needs a better head for controlling the point, and keeping opponents from expliting her relative lack of footspeed. And like most very tall players, if you get her running from side to side, it's tougher for her to reverse direction than shorter players.

But saying all she does is whack the ball betrays a certain ignorance,or lackof observation. The best example of a player who ALL they did was hit the ball hard is Jennifer Capriati. She did NOT take risks. She just got back every ball, and made sure she whacked the hell out of it. And won three slams that way.

Sharapova is certainly one of the four best players in the world right now, and the reigning US Open champion. That implies that her deficiencies, whatever they may be, are not that easily exploited.

UncleZeke
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:13 PM
2 GS at 19. Hard worker, agressive coaching. Appears very motivated to get better. Many more Grand Slam victories to come before her career is over.

Emina.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:22 PM
Sharapova not only hits hard, when she's playing well, she hits with depth.
She is currently #1 with 2 majors and still 19.

She at a level where she's going to be judged on # of majors won, and # of weeks at #1.

Right now, she's finished playing majors at 19. The next 4 are at 20. She's #1 this week and next week, then we'll see how many more.

:worship: :cool:

Beny
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:44 PM
Sharapova is just not in her best form..and people immediately say she will never win something
Masha will find her form in maybe two weeks and will play well again and win tourneys

Nickitos2006
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:47 PM
Fiction???? C'mon guy! Think what you’re writing! You’re talking about №1 tennis player in the world who just reached the final OF GRAND SLAM TOURNAMENT, SECOND IN A ROW, AND THIRD OVERAL. How can you even think about her in this way... just amazing.
She's clearly injured right now. That's' it. Here what she said after today's match:
"My left hamstring has been having tightness since the Australian Open but after a grand slam you are tight all over."
"I was hoping the pain would settle or get better, but against a top player it is hard to get away with not serving or returning well"
""This was a sudden sharper pain after I landed after the serve. I asked the trainer and she said these kind of strains take seven or 10 days to recover from, so hopefully I can recover quickly."

acetoace
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:13 PM
I will not say OVA will not win majors again......what I know is that she is not winning one this year. To answer the question: FICTION!!

partbrit
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:28 PM
To depth and precision, I'll add something else: authority. When Maria is on, she tends to own the court. I agree that her movement has improved, though she can still work on it. And she can work more on shot variety, yes. But even the greatest players have weaker aspects of their games.

sfselesfan
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:33 PM
This thread is coming from the person who said Maria didn't need a plan B. She clearly does...every player does. She should work in spin from time to time, learn how to hit a traditional volley, and use a little more angle to make up for her lack of movement (a la Davenport).

She has the potential to dominate if she develops a little more of an overall game.

SF