PDA

View Full Version : At 40 Gail Divers back to competition

tenn_ace
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:41 AM
She just won an indoor race 60m hurdles in New York beating a very strong field which included 2004 Athens Champion.

Just to add this was her first race in year (maternity leave)

:worship:

wta_zuperfann
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:32 AM
I watched the Millrose Games on ESPN tonight and it was just GREAT to see her race once again. What a performance!

Years ago, T + F used to garner more headlines than any other sport on school campuses except for football. I guess it was the emergence of legendary Pistol Pete Maravich that made college basketball more popular than T + F. But up to that time the Millrose Games and other track events were more popular. It was a great time and I would like to see the sport re-emerge in popularity.

walk_away
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:38 AM
Ottey :inlove:

Devers. :fiery: Can't forgive her of depriving Ottey of Olympic gold in 1996. :sad:

Long live Merlene. :hearts: My favourite female athelete of all time. :)

samn
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:04 AM
Ottey :inlove:

Devers. :fiery: Can't forgive her of depriving Ottey of Olympic gold in 1996. :sad:

I hate that bloody Gwen Torrance who prevented poor Ottey from winning the 200m gold at the Barcelona Games. :fiery: IIRC, Torrance won gold, Juliet Cuthbert took silver, and Ottey lived up to her "Bronze Queen" moniker. Merlene was just too damned good an athlete to not win even one gold medal at the Olympics. :sad:

Martian KC
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:44 PM
Haha I can't believe I hated Gail in 92 for stealing the spotlight from Gwen Torrance, but these last couple of years I'm just captivated by her strength. Keep going Gail. Maybe 08 Olympics?;)

tenn_ace
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:57 PM
Haha I can't believe I hated Gail in 92 for stealing the spotlight from Gwen Torrance, but these last couple of years I'm just captivated by her strength. Keep going Gail. Maybe 08 Olympics?;)

she said she is taking one day at a time, but methinks it's why she came back. She want that 100m hurdles title she never got

Freakan
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:06 PM
:banana:

Monica_Rules
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:03 PM
I loved Gwen Torrence. Was so happy when she got the bronze in atlanta, I was supporting her. I liked the 1,2,3 in atlanta actually.

canoe.
Feb 4th, 2007, 02:05 AM
She just won an indoor race 60m hurdles in New York beating a very strong field which included 2004 Athens Champion.

Just to add this was her first race in year (maternity leave)

:worship:

Has anyone accused women's track of being pathetic yet? ;)

samn
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Has anyone accused women's track of being pathetic yet? ;)

I'm waiting for people to suggest that Devers is a "has-been grandma and a bitch who loves the limelight far too much and that she should just stay retired and let the younger players have their day in the sun instead of upstaging them and stealing the nicer lanes from them." ;)

disco_rage
Feb 4th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Gail Devers is a track LEGEND!!! She is AWESOME!!

I was soo gutted when she fell in final strides in 100m Hurdles final at Barcelona 1992 while leading... she would have won Gold in 100m and 100m Hurdles... and i just love her attitude after "it just wasn't meant to be"

Devers is a legend. :worship: :worship: :worship: