PDA

View Full Version : If Serena only plays the Slams this year....

daffodil
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:12 PM
I'm just SAYING that if Serena only chooses to play the Grand Slams this year, will she end the year #1 most likely? Seeing as she will gain how many points for the French Open and Wimbledon and another handful at the US Open......

Is it possible?

sfselesfan
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:13 PM
She would need to win them all...basically.

She will play more than the slams however. She's already played more than the slams.

SF

brent-o
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:19 PM
Hmm, interesting question. Does anyone know, theoretically, if she only played the Slams, what would need to be her best showing to end at number 1? Winning them all?

tennis_pIayer
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:27 PM
possibility of #1 if she wins all four, or maybe 3 and 1 semi IF the others have similar years to last year. Winning all 4 would give her 4000+ pts, higher than what justine had last year to finish year end #1. However, Sharapova has about 4000 pts now, and she could continue to add to it by having better results, same w/ justine.

TomTennis
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:30 PM
In theory it could be possible because she would gain sufficient points without losing many at all.....but it would also greatly depend on how many points the top ranked players would defend.

driger
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:24 AM
first of all she will be lucky to win one more slam.

-VSR-
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:29 AM
One, she's going to play more than just the slams, for sure.

Two, if anyone could do it, it would be Serena.

-VSR-
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:29 AM

You'll come to regret this as your first post. :o

thomas.chung
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:04 AM

Ouch! As I have witnessed, usually Serena haters can only have their fun for so long. The rule of thumb is, never count anyone out (not just the Williamses) like that. And this is not a really nice way to start your life on this board, buddy. So wish you luck in the future if you post like that.

égalité
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:25 AM
No, she wouldn't have enough points. She'd be in the top 5 for sure, though.

Simplicity.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:47 AM
If she won all 4 in 2006, she would have finished the yaer comfortably in number 1 spot. However, this year could be different with some of the top players possibly receiving more points than last year.

plantman
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:09 AM

A BIG welcome to you driger!!!!!:)
Don't let the post of some people run you off! It's their typical ammo as I'm sure you'll pick up on soon enough!

Sally Struthers
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:30 AM
sometimes I wish they would only play the 4 slams and maybe a couple of smaller tournaments. I only get excited and watch tennis during the slams.

Lulu.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:31 AM

Your first post :tape:

You'll just have to learn like the rest of them

darrinbaker00
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:33 AM
Why do you say that?

Denise4925
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:36 AM
A BIG welcome to you driger!!!!!:)
Don't let the post of some people run you off! It's their typical ammo as I'm sure you'll pick up on soon enough!

From one troll to another. :rolleyes:

plantman
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:44 AM

Takes one to know one Denise! Guess that makes you one too.......:lol:

Denise4925
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:46 AM
Takes one to know one Denise! Guess that makes you one too.......:lol:

Then everyone who posts on this board is a troll, because we all know you're one. :)

plantman
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:53 AM
Then everyone who posts on this board is a troll, because we all know you're one. :)

If that's the best you can do ..........:lol: :lol: :lol:
DON'T BOTHER!!!!

maddogz48
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:02 AM

You must be an ass to say that. Serena is an 8-time Grand Slam Champion and you still doubt her. We'll see what happens at the end of this season.

Jeff
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:07 AM
Well, if Serena cares about being #1, then whether or not she can do it playing just slams isn't important, considering that if it is her goal to be #1 she will be playing more tournaments. If she only cares about winning slams, well then yeah how well she does in just slams is important, and there's no doubt if that is her goal to win more slams then she will.

-VSR-
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:25 AM

Very true.

driger
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:31 AM
Why do you say that?

doubt she'll win the french, its not her surface. and in the other two slams the field will show up. just wasn't impressed with her play in the aussie overall. her draw opened up because of mauresmo losing, and henins no show. sharapova struggled from the first round. thought the overall quality of the womens tennis was poor. and lets not forget how injury prone she is.

guess i better be careful about expressing an honest opinion.

Mother_Marjorie
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:43 AM
I'm just SAYING that if Serena only chooses to play the Grand Slams this year, will she end the year #1 most likely? Seeing as she will gain how many points for the French Open and Wimbledon and another handful at the US Open......

Is it possible?

In the Open Era, only Steffi Graf came remotely close to that feat in '95 and '96. Bothered by chronic back and knee problems, she severely limited her play outside the grand slam tournaments compared to previous years. She went on to win a record 45 consecutive grand slam matches that was broken in the '97 Australian Open 4th round by Amanda Coetzer..

No one from this generation has the game, mentality or court presence to accomplish this one Graf feat, much less all the other records Graf has broken. No one.

brent-o
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:48 AM
In the Open Era, only Steffi Graf came remotely close to that feat in '95 and '96. Bothered by chronic back and knee problems, she severely limited her play outside the grand slam tournaments compared to previous years. She went on to win a record 45 consecutive grand slam matches that was broken in the '97 Australian Open 4th round by Amanda Coetzer..

No one from this generation has the game, mentality or court presence to accomplish this one Graf feat, much less all the other records Graf has broken. No one.

Wow, cool thanks for the Steffi stat. She continues to amaze me...

plantman
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:55 AM

and it's doubtful anyone will!

No one!:)

Geisha
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:41 AM
At the end of the year, everybody will have played four slams, so gaining points wouldn't be an issue, correct?

harloo
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:48 AM
I really don't think Serena is too concerned about the #1 spot. If it comes then so be it, but winning slams is more important. It's no secret that not every player who reaches #1 on the women's side deserves the ranking.;)

DimaDinosaur
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:58 AM
I really hope Serena does not get injured during FO. I would love for her to add that slam (my favorite of them all) to her collection!!! :tennis:

acetoace
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:05 AM
doubt she'll win the french, its not her surface. and in the other two slams the field will show up. just wasn't impressed with her play in the aussie overall. her draw opened up because of mauresmo losing, and henins no show. sharapova struggled from the first round. thought the overall quality of the womens tennis was poor. and lets not forget how injury prone she is.

Excuses, excuses, excuses!!!! Serena won the 07 AO fair and square. Momo nor Justined would not have changed the out come of the event. Opened draw my.......!! You are simply hating and spitting out what you really wished had happened. Momo & Justine are not in Serenas league and the results are there to review. Keep dreaming......One thing your dream can't change is that SERENA is BACK and she would be kicking butt to include that of Juju & Momo. You will witness it with your own eyes. I say relax and let it unfold. At the end of it all though, haters like you will not be left in doubt as to who the best is. In your opinion, Serena will not win the French......hmmmm.......maybe, but she certainly stands a good chance IMO. I don't know the basis of your speculation but Serena won it before or didn't she? The year she won it, Juju didn't even make it past the first round. Don't even mention Momo in the same sentence when it comes to the French. Not saying that Momo and Juju are not good players or that they cannot beat Serena; far from it. Infact, what is their H2H? Research it and get back me if you can! Evidence shows that Serena beats these folks almost all the time. Therefore, to come to this board and assert that if Momo cum Juju had not been knocked out of the tournament early, Serena would not have won the title is just an excuse for you to justify your denial of Serena's greatness and accomplishment. Weren't Momo & Juju in the field of almost all the Slams Serena won? What did they do then? In the 03 French Open, we all know what happened.....still, Serena moved on but what happened at Wimbledon right after the French and who did Serena walloped in the semi to get to the final? Next time, I suggest you get your facts straight before you come on here with baseless assertions that is contrary to what the record suggests. Take a look at the current players in the WTA. Mention any you can say is better than Serena at Serena's best or whose accomplishment is near that of Serena's? Let's roll back lil' bit. Will you mention Hingis or Cappy? Hingis, I still recall the 01 US Open and Miami 02. Granted Hingis had her time over Serena early on in serena's career, but those were when Serena was still building her game. All these players playing at their best, Serena stands out clean and tall! Fact is, whenever Serena is in form and is delivering what she is capable of, it does not matter who is in the field or what their rank is.....she will take them dowm to lift the trophy. I go by her indelible record and not by mere speculation or wishful thinking. Based on the individual record of these players as of today, the whole world knows Serena is the best no question! To admit otherwise is plain ignorance & foolishness. No dis intended........ but man, ONLY a fool relies on speculation and wishful thinking to justify or prove a point that cannot be supported by hard evidence or record.

As regards Mariaova, She simply got beat by a better player period!! OVA came to the match basing her estimation of Serena on the Serena she played in 04 & 05 and forgetting that, at those encounters, the Serena of that time is different from the real Serena she was about to face and who is near her best form. In 04, Serena was just returning from a prolonged absence due to injury and was not in the best of form or shape. Still, I gave it to OVA for winning. Serena moved on. In 05, Serena was not in her real form as well; she hadn't played enough tournaments and was out of shape but it was better than in 04 and was good enough for her to outplay Mariaova. In the 07 AO final, we saw the REAL SERENA WILLIAMS that the whole world is used to but have missed for a long time. Unfortunately, for Mariaova, she was the one who had the misfortune of playing Serena for the title. With Serena almost close to her 02-03 form, the out come of the match was never in doubt. All the talk about Mariaova not playing her best in the final are mere excuses trumped to cover OVA's inferior talent to that of the sisters and her inability to match up to the skill, athletism and mental fortitude of Serena. Leading up to the AO, Mariaova was expected to be in top shape and form and she was. She had played many matches and had participated in a lot more tournaments than Serena. Based on that advantage, it wasn't surprising that her fans were asserting she would win the AO. She had won the US open last September so that was a legitimate expectation or hope I think. This time, injury could not be an excuse because as we know, OVA was not injured going to the AO. Bottomline, OVA was in excellent shape to win the tournament. In the final, she met a determined player who was out to put OVA in her place and to set the records straight. OVA tasted the REAL SERENA for the first time in OVA's career and the result is now history. Ok, let's put the shoe in the other foot. Would POVA have been in the final if Momo cum Juju had been on her side of the draw last US Open not withstanding? I venture to go further; can we compare the quality of players Serena played up to the title with the inferior players OVA played up to the Semi? My prayer is that Serena and POVA get a chance to meet again. Dubai might be the place. If Serena wins (which I have no doubt she would), what would be the excuse then? I wait to see.....

ioni
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:12 AM
^ you like to post a lot don't you ?? :p :lol:

Mina Vagante
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:14 AM

:fiery: , no from number 14 and winning all the other slams i dont think she can be number 1, there are LOADS of tourneys in between

Mina Vagante
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:14 AM
Excuses, excuses, excuses!!!! Serena won the 07 AO fair and square. Momo nor Justined would not have changed the out come of the event. Opened draw my.......!! You are simply hating and spitting out what you really wished had happened. Momo & Justine are not in Serenas league and the results are there to review. Keep dreaming......One thing your dream can't change is that SERENA is BACK and she would be kicking butt to include that of Juju & Momo. You will witness it with your own eyes. I say relax and let it unfold. At the end of it all though, haters like you will not be left in doubt as to who the best is. In your opinion, Serena will not win the French......hmmmm.......maybe, but she certainly stands a good chance IMO. I don't know the basis of your speculation but Serena won it before or didn't she? The year she won it, Juju didn't even make it past the first round. Don't even mention Momo in the same sentence when it comes to the French. Not saying that Momo and Juju are not good players or that they cannot beat Serena; far from it. Infact, what is their H2H? Research it and get back me if you can! Evidence shows that Serena beats these folks almost all the time. Therefore, to come to this board and assert that if Momo cum Juju had not been knocked out of the tournament early, Serena would not have won the title is just an excuse for you to justify your denial of Serena's greatness and accomplishment. Weren't Momo & Juju in the field of almost all the Slams Serena won? What did they do then? In the 03 French Open, we all know what happened.....still, Serena moved on but what happened at Wimbledon right after the French and who did Serena walloped to clinch the title? Next time, I suggest you get your facts straight before you come on here with baseless assertions that is contrary to what the record suggests. Take a look at the current players in the WTA. Mention any you can say is better than Serena at Serena's best or whose accomplishment is near that of Serena's? Let's roll back lil' bit. Will you mention Hingis or Cappy? Hingis, I still recall the 01 US Open and Miami 02. Granted Hingis had her time over Serena early on in serena's career, but those were when Serena was still building her game. All these players playing at their best, Serena stands out clean and tall! Fact is, whenever Serena is in form and is delivering what she is capable of, it does not matter who is in the field or what their rank is.....she will take them dowm to lift the trophy. I go by her indelible record and not by mere speculation or wishful thinking. Based on the individual record of these players as of today, the whole world knows Serena is the best no question! To admit otherwise is plain ignorance & foolishness. No dis intended........ but man, ONLY a fool relies on speculation and wishful thinking to justify or prove a point that cannot be supported by hard evidence or record.

As regards Mariaova, She simply got beat by a better player period!! OVA came to the match basing her estimation of Serena on the Serena she played in 04 & 05 and forgetting that, at those encounters, the Serena of that time is different from the real Serena she was about to face and who is near her best form. In 04, Serena was just returning from a prolonged absence due to injury and was not in the best of form or shape. Still, I gave it to OVA for winning. Serena moved on. In 05, Serena was not in her real form as well; she hadn't played enough tournaments and was out of shape but it was better than in 04 and was good enough for her to outplay Mariaova. In the 07 AO final, we saw the REAL SERENA WILLIAMS that the whole world is used to but have missed for a long time. Unfortunately, for Mariaova, she was the one who had the misfortune of playing Serena for the title. With Serena almost close to her 02-03 form, the out come of the match was never in doubt. All the talk about Mariaova not playing her best in the final are mere excuses trumped to cover OVA's inferior talent to that of the sisters and her inability to match up to the skill, athletism and mental fortitude of Serena. Leading up to the AO, Mariaova was expected to be in top shape and form and she was. She had played many matches and had participated in a lot more tournaments than Serena. Based on that advantage, it wasn't surprising that her fans were asserting she would win the AO. She had won the US open last September so that was a legitimate expectation or hope I think. This time, injury could not be an excuse because as we know, OVA was not injured going to the AO. Bottomline, OVA was in excellent shape to win the tournament. In the final, she met a determined player who was out to put OVA in her place and to set the records straight. OVA tasted the REAL SERENA for the first time in OVA's career and the result is now history. Ok, let's put the shoe in the other foot. Would POVA have been in the final if Momo cum Juju had been on her side of the draw last US Open not withstanding? I venture to go further; can we compare the quality of players Serena played up to the title with the inferior players OVA played up to the Semi? My prayer is that Serena and POVA get a chance to meet again. Dubai might be the place. If Serena wins (which I have no doubt she would), what would be the excuse then? I wait to see.....

woah this has to be some sorta record

ioni
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:18 AM
woah this has to be some sorta record

:lol: i know after reading 4 lines and i was like :zzz: :zzz:

Mother_Marjorie
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:23 AM
Fact is, whenever Serena is in form and is delivering what she is capable of, it does not matter who is in the field or what their rank is.....she will take them dowm to lift the trophy. I go by her indelible record and not by mere speculation or wishful thinking. Based on the individual record of these players as of today, the whole world knows Serena is the best no question! To admit otherwise is plain ignorance & foolishness.

In the 07 AO final, we saw the REAL SERENA WILLIAMS that the whole world is used to but have missed for a long time. Unfortunately, for Mariaova, she was the one who had the misfortune of playing Serena for the title.
Serena played the match of her career against Maria in the AO finals. The type of tennis we haven't seen from Serena in almost five years.

Maria played the match of her career against Serena in the '04 Wimby finals. They type of tennis we haven't seen from Maria in almost three years.

"Fact is" that when either player is at her best, they are unbeatable.

However, I just can't quite absorb how suddenly Serena Williams, the player who managed to win two tournaments in two years, played the match of her life against Sharapova, is suddenly the unbeatable school yard bully?

I guess I've just been around too long, but if history repeats itself, I don't know how boasting and bragging I'd be as a fan of Serena Williams. Her "hot" "cold" scenario is likely to leave her fans in the same bipolar frenzy from them we've witnessed since 2003.

acetoace
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:21 AM
Serena played the match of her career against Maria in the AO finals. The type of tennis we haven't seen from Serena in almost five years.

Maria played the match of her career against Serena in the '04 Wimby finals. They type of tennis we haven't seen from Maria in almost three years.

"Fact is" that when either player is at her best, they are unbeatable.

However, I just can't quite absorb how suddenly Serena Williams, the player who managed to win two tournaments in two years, played the match of her life against Sharapova, is suddenly the unbeatable school yard bully?

I guess I've just been around too long, but if history repeats itself, I don't know how boasting and bragging I'd be as a fan of Serena Williams. Her "hot" "cold" scenario is likely to leave her fans in the same bipolar frenzy from them we've witnessed since 2003.

This is laughable...... pova unbeatable?......only in your fantasy!! Pova was only lucky in 04 and ppl know it. Besides the williamses, there are other girls on the tour who are far better than OVA. Hard pill to swallow but it is a fact. For the avoidance of doubt, the ignoble event of 04 will NEVER happen again. Up until now, the fervent expectations, hopes and dreams of haters like you have been that the Williamses never return to the tour so OVA can take advantage of the interregnum with the help of the spin media and thereby perpetuating the ignoble myth that OVA is the best on tour. Hmmmm........what a devastating rude awakening huh? Like it or not, this year, I see OVA experiencing far worse treatment from the Williamses than what Cappy experienced in her time particularly from Serena. Think of it this way, Serena has been "hot" and "cold" and for a long time..... at least, according to you. My question is: what has OVA achieved in Serena's absence since then? In fact, the record suggets that OVA hasn't won more Slams than Serena in the same span of time despite OVA playing tons of tournaments and participating in all the Slams. Seems to me this fact speaks a lot more of OVA's under achievement if anything.

mykarma
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:35 PM
Your first post :tape:

You'll just have to learn like the rest of them
;)

mykarma
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:36 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

mykarma
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:38 PM

:eek::lol:

iPatty
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:44 PM
This is laughable...... pova unbeatable?......only in your fantasy!! Pova was only lucky in 04 and ppl know it. Besides the williamses, there are other girls on the tour who are far better than OVA. Hard pill to swallow but it is a fact. For the avoidance of doubt, the ignoble event of 04 will NEVER happen again. Up until now, the fervent expectations, hopes and dreams of haters like you have been that the Williamses never return to the tour so OVA can take advantage of the interregnum with the help of the spin media and thereby perpetuating the ignoble myth that OVA is the best on tour. Hmmmm........what a devastating rude awakening huh? Like it or not, this year, I see OVA experiencing far worse treatment from the Williamses than what Cappy experienced in her time particularly from Serena. Think of it this way, Serena has been "hot" and "cold" and for a long time..... at least, according to you. My question is: what has OVA achieved in Serena's absence since then? In fact, the record suggets that OVA hasn't won more Slams than Serena in the same span of time despite OVA playing tons of tournaments and participating in all the Slams. Seems to me this fact speaks a lot more of OVA's under achievement if anything.

you, my friend, need to learn about paragraphs. :lol:

how, may i ask, was maria lucky in 2004? are all of serena's opponents "lucky" when she beats them?
sorry, but that's some bullshit.

i can't believe i'm defending maria. :tape:

Shonami Slam
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:40 PM
just a few points that weren't mentioned here, and i'm approuching this one on a completly mathematical look:

1) should she do well in all slams, she would essentially have to participate in the YEC = more points, in addition as stated here - she also has a few more points already fo hobart.

2) JHH missed a slam already. that would mean a lot of catching up to do already this early.

3) winn the grand slam is 4000 points. lose even one match, and she's way down to 3750, which would seem borderline for year end #1. should she lose in a semifinal and it's only 3450, and that is still a possibility most would think as most probable for rolland garros. it really would have to be finals and titles for the top spot honour.

4) Should Sharapova fulfil her seeding at both Wimbledon and the US and reach the finals - it would seem unlikely for 4000 points to be enough anyway, as the young russian is probably due to grab big points in the indoor season, american hardcourt swing and some notable points in the bag in the next few weeks, indoors in europe, and outdoors in the states.
lastly - she won't be doing worse than last year on the red-stuff for sure.

acetoace
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:49 PM
you, my friend, need to learn about paragraphs. :lol:

how, may i ask, was maria lucky in 2004? are all of serena's opponents "lucky" when she beats them?
sorry, but that's some bullshit.

i can't believe i'm defending maria. :tape:

OVA was lucky in 04 to play Serena at that point in Serena's career. Like I said, that was when Serena was just returning from a prolonged lay-off due to injury.

Sure, Maria won in 04......but I don 't think that will happen again vis-a-vis Serena. Clearly, there is no gain saying the fact that the Wimbledon 03 Serena was in a far better form and shape that the Serena of 04 Wimbledon if you understand what I mean.

lecciones
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:02 PM
You'll come to regret this as your first post. :o

the intimidation here especially of fans from a big country with only a few players ontop right now is so lame.

plantman
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:02 PM
OVA was lucky in 04 for playing Serena at that point in Serena's career. Like I said, that was when Serena was just returning from a prolonged lay-off due to injury.

Sure, Maria won in 04......but I don 't think that will happen again vis-a-vis Serena. Clearly, there is no gain saying the fact that the Wimbledon 03 Serena was in a far better form and shape that the Serena of 04 Wimbledon if you understand what I mean.

I can't speak for your intended one, but are you not using an excuse for Serena's loss in 04? It's O.K. for you all to, but be damned anybody else who uses one !...... Something's amiss here!

rjd1111
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:22 PM

She has won the FO before. and a lot of other matches on Clay.
And if she doesn't get cheated she can win it again.

You are entitled to your opinion.
Even if its wrong.
Welcome to the board.

-VSR-
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:13 PM
the intimidation here especially of fans from a big country with only a few players ontop right now is so lame.

I'm not here to support American players, just Venus & Serena. Think before you speak.

Essia
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:40 PM
If she can maintain the form she displayed at the AO the others haven't a hope in hell this year.

sweetpeas
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:14 PM
If she can maintain the form she displayed at the AO the others haven't a hope in hell this year

So true....Thank
s rjd1111 and acetoace thanks. Some of us are truly Williams fans.Good or bad.We don"t jump ship?We really know what our two Sister"s can do!We're not dreaming? We know the REAL DEAL!!!!!!

calabar
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:31 PM
I for one would love to see someone achieve this feat - 4 events, 4 slam victories in the same year. That would surely subject the (much discussed and dissected) ranking system to even more ridicule. Imagine the WTA or the larger media trying to make the case that even though Serena (or whomever) won The Grand Slam, she is really "second rate" to the number 1 ranked player.

Yeah right!

Stingray
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:46 PM

Do you even watch tennis???