PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else find it odd that Justine has never...

Sam L
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:08 PM
... played Antwerp? Is it because she's a Walloon? I heard that the tournament director doesn't like her and stuff. Is this true?

Knizzle
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:11 PM
Justine played Antwerp in 2003. She lost to Kim in the semis.

Dave.
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:19 PM
She won her first ever title in Antwerp when it was played on clay in 1999. She reached the final in 2002, and SF in 2003.

Sam L
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:21 PM
Ok ok... so I'm wrong but I just feels like she's never played there because she's hardly played there.

Geertvg
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:21 PM
I hope she does play again next year though, the tournament needs her!

eck
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:55 PM
She has some issues with the tournament director.
And besides, she prefers playing in Dubai. It's just a little challenging to fly from Belgium to Qatar.

Pureracket
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:59 PM
Ok ok... so I'm wrong but I just feels like she's never played there because she's hardly played there.Where'd you get your facts? LOL:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sam L
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:11 AM
And besides, she prefers playing in Dubai. It's just a little challenging to fly from Belgium to Qatar.

What issues? I've always thought it was because it's a flemish tournament and she's a walloon. I was wondering if things were that bad there.

eck
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:26 AM
No, I think she once wanted to withdraw from Antwerp in 2004 because of an injury, but Verkeck or whatever accused her of withdrawing because she wanted to go to Dubai and defend her title, and since then she hasn't gone to Antwerp or the other tournament where Verkeck is the director. She didn't even attend the award ceremony where she won sportswoman of the year because Verkeck was in charge.

Sam L
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:28 AM
No, I think she once wanted to withdraw from Antwerp in 2004 because of an injury, but Verkeck or whatever accused her of withdrawing because she wanted to go to Dubai and defend her title, and since then she hasn't gone to Antwerp or the other tournament where Verkeck is the director. She didn't even attend the award ceremony where she won sportswoman of the year because Verkeck was in charge.

Wow! :o That's news to me. Thanks.

eck
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:31 AM
I could be wrong, but that's how I thought it was.

eck
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:42 AM
Greenout told me:

It was one of those seasons when everyone was injured right after the Australian Open, and were pulled/pulling out of Tokyo, and Paris. Off course, if they can't do Tokyo and Paris - Antwerp was to have the same fate for weak draws.

The usually reliables didn't even bother to land in Antwerp. Venus phoned in her excuse from London (but seen shopping with Naomi Campbell that week in the media), Ai Sugiyama didn't even get to Belgium, Elena Dementieva showed up and practiced then pulled out of the event..

Hey, when Ai Sugiyama phones, and doesn't even land in Belgium, and Elena Dementieva splits before her first match, you have to wonder about the relationship between the guest players and the event management.

Justine actually arrived, and did the press conference and childrens clinic, but was too ill. You can see photos of her from that event and she didn't look good at all. Her voice was froggy too. We all know what happenned to Justine a few months later, and for the rest of the year with her illness. Her appearance at the PDG was sort of a clue about her health condition.

Justine didn't play her first match because she was way too ill.

Bob went public and since Elena, Ai and Venus were already gone or never arrived in Belgium he lashed out on Justine and blamed her for being selfish, unprofessional etc... Said she ruined his event and doesn't care about Belgium, blah,blah blah there should be a fine for players like her blah, blah, blah.

Justine went to Dubai (obviously because the weather is better) then Bob went public again and accused Justine of not only being unprofessional but GREEDY and taking money from Dubai rather than think of her Belgian public like Kim does.

There were four LL (Lucky losers) placed in the draw to cover for Venus, Justine, Elena and Ai at PDG in 2004. Elena and Ai didn't bother to sign up for the PDG in 2005, but Venus did since she's on the brink of winning the Diamond raqcuet.

mboyle
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:19 AM
Greenout told me:

It was one of those seasons when everyone was injured right after the Australian Open, and were pulled/pulling out of Tokyo, and Paris. Off course, if they can't do Tokyo and Paris - Antwerp was to have the same fate for weak draws.

The usually reliables didn't even bother to land in Antwerp. Venus phoned in her excuse from London (but seen shopping with Naomi Campbell that week in the media), Ai Sugiyama didn't even get to Belgium, Elena Dementieva showed up and practiced then pulled out of the event..

Hey, when Ai Sugiyama phones, and doesn't even land in Belgium, and Elena Dementieva splits before her first match, you have to wonder about the relationship between the guest players and the event management.

Justine actually arrived, and did the press conference and childrens clinic, but was too ill. You can see photos of her from that event and she didn't look good at all. Her voice was froggy too. We all know what happenned to Justine a few months later, and for the rest of the year with her illness. Her appearance at the PDG was sort of a clue about her health condition.

Justine didn't play her first match because she was way too ill.

Bob went public and since Elena, Ai and Venus were already gone or never arrived in Belgium he lashed out on Justine and blamed her for being selfish, unprofessional etc... Said she ruined his event and doesn't care about Belgium, blah,blah blah there should be a fine for players like her blah, blah, blah.

Justine went to Dubai (obviously because the weather is better) then Bob went public again and accused Justine of not only being unprofessional but GREEDY and taking money from Dubai rather than think of her Belgian public like Kim does.

There were four LL (Lucky losers) placed in the draw to cover for Venus, Justine, Elena and Ai at PDG in 2004. Elena and Ai didn't bother to sign up for the PDG in 2005, but Venus did since she's on the brink of winning the Diamond raqcuet.

What a stupid businessman:o ...Justine is more important to the success of his business than he is. Therefore, he deals with it when she has to pull out, even if it is for some stupid reason, so that she will come back the next year. Durrrrrr!

karin1492
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:55 AM
Yeah, Bob Verbeek bet all of his money on Kim and none of it on Justine. He's reaping what he sowed. Justine really liked playing Antwerp because she won her first tournament there, and she loves playing in front of her native Belgians. However, since Verbeek mistreated her at that tournament, she really has had nothing to do with either him or the tournament, which is a shame.

eck
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:03 AM
And I think 1 or his tournaments will close down next year because of Kim not playing? I'm not 100% sure.

darrinbaker00
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:39 AM
The under-the-table money Justine gets from the sheikhs more than makes up for the flight, my friend. ;)

Yasmine
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:07 AM
I'm a Kim fan but I think Bob Verbeek is an idiot:help: as if tennis was all about Kim... After these accusations, I'm not surprised Justine doesn't wanna play there anymore :o what is he gonna do next year when Kim retires? And yes i did hear Hasselt and Antwerp would be joined in one tourney instead of two...

eck
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:09 AM
The under-the-table money Justine gets from the sheikhs more than makes up for the flight, my friend. ;)

Shhhhhhhhh.
But really, jet lag can be a problem ;) :p

samn
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:34 PM
Justine really liked playing Antwerp because she won her first tournament there, and she loves playing in front of her native Belgians. However, since Verbeek mistreated her at that tournament, she really has had nothing to do with either him or the tournament, which is a shame.

This sounds like Steffi Graf's refusal to play the Filderstadt tournament (for different reasons) after 1985, even though it was the nearest thing she had to a "home" tournament, held as it was in her home state of Baden-Württemberg, and moreover, had been the tournament at which she had made her professional debut in 1982.

pigam
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:56 PM
she played a semifinal against Kim and even a great final against Venus. An amazing match with great atmosphere. Public going for Justine but having to aknowledge Venus' superior strenght and amazing performance.

She played there for 2 years and seemed to enjoy it. Some incident clearly messed it up, and since she sems to be somewhat of a grudgeholder, she doesn't play it anymore. Dommage, mais c'est la vie.

Fantastic
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:05 PM
I say good on Justine for sticking to her guns and not letting anybody push her around. She's a remarkable woman, very strong in the mind and she doesn't deserve any of the criticism she gets. For someone who probably doesn't even play tennis to go out there and criticize her to the media for withdrawing makes him seem like a very small and spiteful man (if you can call him that).

It's obviously not hurting her to not be playing at home in Belgium. She can have Fed Cup for that if all she cared about was adulation. But it's not the case. Nobody should relent when she's being bullied. And that's what this is. Why should Justine support a tournament where the people in charge don't support her and won't consider her needs too?