PDA

View Full Version : Liezel Huber will play for United States after March!!!

Modiac.
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:08 PM
The USA will soon have another Grand Slam champion competing under its banner as South Africa’s Liezel Huber has announced her decision to become a citizen in the United States.

Huber, who won the 2005 ladies title at Wimbledon with Cara Black and most recently the 2007 title at the Australian Open also with Black, is expected to gain citizenship in March.

She is married to an American, Tony Huber, and has resided in Houston for the past few years, so it is definitely not a surprise that she would want to compete under the red, white, and blue.

The News24 article mentions that she has had several disagreements with the South African tennis federation in the past and was not permitted to compete at the 2004 Olympics in Athens.

According to her brother, Janus Horn, Liezel is “still a South African at heart, but she hasn’t got good memories of South African tennis.”

Since moving to the United States, Huber has been very involved in charitable work, most notably her foundation for Hurricane Katrina victims, Liezel’s Cause.

Modiac.
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:10 PM
Liezel/Lisa could be a fantastic team in Beijing Olympics.

UncleZeke
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:10 PM
Good for Liezel.

SilK
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:11 PM
such a shame. there goes SA's only top player.

Mateo Mathieu
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:15 PM
This is old news at least for me :p I already know about this for months :lol: Yeah, good for her if South African Tennis Federation don't give a shit about her.

Zombielicious
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:26 PM
This is the first I've heard of this.

Yay Liezel! :hearts:

Piotr'ek
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:26 PM
Huber is nothing special.

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:27 PM
Liezel/Lisa could be a fantastic team in Beijing Olympics.

Yes because there's nothing better than an overweight and old doubles duo. :rolleyes:

I respect players like Cara Black and Dally Randriantefy and more than Leizel Huber.
Some of these African athletes just move right into America when they see better pastures.

She's all what South Africa has to offer right now on the women's field.
She won her Australian Open as an South African.
It's just a slap in the face.
She had the ability to get a WTA tourni in South Africa.

You can't help who you love but at the same time, she didn't have to go this far IMO.

I don't care if South Africa Tennis Federation didn't care about her.
The USTA acts the same way to half its players.
I'm dissapointed in her.

BTW, if we're talking Olympics, if Venus and Serena want to play doubles again in 2008, then they're gonna play.
That leaves two spots for three players, Liezel, Lisa, and Meghann.

Lisa was the top doubles player in 2000 but did not get the chance to go to Syndey.
Meghann was the top doubles player in 2004 but was not picked to go to Athens.
There's a pattern there and Leizel will likely be the odd one out.

Tenis Srbija
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:46 PM
GL to her :yeah:

cartmancop
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:54 PM
So will she be able to do Fed Cup/Olympics from US right away? A Venus,Serena singles duo with Meghann/Liezel @ dubs could do well...

JohnBoy
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:58 PM

So true, you only had to watch the doubles final to see that!

Dave.
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:00 PM
Good decision for her. I really liked Huber after I read an article last year on her about all the work she did for hurrican katrina. She seems lke she wants to do alot for people in need.

Sharapova's_Boy
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:37 AM
:bolt:

DOUBLEFIST
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:43 AM
I say good for her! And good for U.S. Tennis!

adam_ads_n
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:51 AM
If she has problems with RSA federation - that's good I think :)

piercerocks
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:56 AM
i love it when people play for us loool!

hope she plays fed cup

Black Mamba.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:08 AM
Team USA is getting better.

akinom
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:35 AM
The USA will soon have another Grand Slam champion competing under its banner as South Africa’s Liezel Huber has announced her decision to become a citizen in the United States.

Huber, who won the 2005 ladies title at Wimbledon with Cara Black and most recently the 2007 title at the Australian Open also with Black, is expected to gain citizenship in March.

She is married to an American, Tony Huber, and has resided in Houston for the past few years, so it is definitely not a surprise that she would want to compete under the red, white, and blue.

The News24 article mentions that she has had several disagreements with the South African tennis federation in the past and was not permitted to compete at the 2004 Olympics in Athens.

According to her brother, Janus Horn, Liezel is “still a South African at heart, but she hasn’t got good memories of South African tennis.”

Since moving to the United States, Huber has been very involved in charitable work, most notably her foundation for Hurricane Katrina victims, Liezel’s Cause.

it is not a surprise for me because I met her with mariann de swardt in the train STRASBOURG-PARIS in 2005 (She played doubles during the tournament of strasbourg) and I saw her with a lots a books of questions about AMERICA... She told me she wanted to become american!!!!:bounce:

eck
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:18 AM
:yeah:

Liezel :)

kittyking
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:25 AM

:confused:

Shes won far more Grand Slam titles than you mister

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:54 AM
Yes because there's nothing better than an overweight and old doubles duo. :rolleyes:

Or an overweight nylon wearing wannabe know it all :lol:

ChampLindsay
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:50 AM
good decision....:worship: :hearts: :kiss:

sylvain
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:53 AM
What a shame for African tennis :sad: