PDA

View Full Version : Which match win, took your favourite to the next level

Viktymise
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:07 PM
Which match of your favourite gave them so much confidence and after it their confidence rose and they had much better results, and broke through to win big tournaments maybe, my faves

Dementieva: Beating Venus Miami 04 Quaters 6-3 5-7 7-6, after fighting off match points and going on to win, i think lena really started to really believe in how good she was and it really helped boost her confidence and get to 2 slam finals and make top 5 for the 1st time :), you could also make an argument for beating Henin in the AI semi's 3-6 6-4 7-5 or even the final against Davenport 2-6 6-4 6-2, 2 top class wins over top players to win her 1st title and stopped just hanging around the back end of the top 20 from then on

Venus: Beating Hingis Wimbledon QF 00 6-3 4-6 6-4, Venus went onto win Wimbledon and 3 other slams in the next 2 years, it really was such a mental breakthrough for her, as she had lost some tough matches at the slams previous to that, and also had just had a crushing defeat to Hingis the previous year at the USO

The Daviator
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:15 PM
Davenport def. Venus 7-6 5-7 7-6 Stanford final '04 :)

This win gave Lindsay so much confidence, she went on to become the world #1 again, compete in Grand Slam finals again, break losing streaks with Serena and Kim, it was the start of a great year and a half for her :worship:

Andy.
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:19 PM
Probably Masha beating Lindsay at Wimbledon 04 and then to go up another level beating Kim and Sandiego 06

Nicolás89
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:23 PM
from her comeback ofcourse beating maria in tokyo last year give martina a lot of confidece and then again the win over petrova in the yec, comes when
she was losing her confidence in a flop second half of the year

Ben.
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:27 PM
Kim beating Venus at USO 05 Quarters being down a set & a break at 3-1 & 4-2, then serving for the 2nd set at 5-4 & being broken but able to serve it out at 6-5. then she went on to win the 3rd 6-1. that win made me realise that kim was ready to take it up another level in an attempt to win a grand slam.

that she did beating maria in the semis after squandering 5 match pts but still able to compose herself. then easily dispatching pierce in the final.

crazyroberto6767
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:39 PM
Serena def. Davenport 2001 USO QF always comes to mind.

:inlove:
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:46 PM

Yep that is definitely the one I'd have picked.
Also possibly her FO SF in 2002 against Capriati.

TeamUSA#1
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:14 PM
Capriati defeating her old nemisis Monica Seles 4-6, 7-5, 6-3 in the 2001 AO quarterfinals, after being down 4-6, 2-4. And then going on to beat Davenport and Hingis in the SFs and Final.. Those 3 matches changed her career forever.

hurricanejeanne
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:17 PM
Davenport def. Venus 7-6 5-7 7-6 Stanford final '04 :)

This win gave Lindsay so much confidence, she went on to become the world #1 again, compete in Grand Slam finals again, break losing streaks with Serena and Kim, it was the start of a great year and a half for her :worship:

Ah yes, the ressurection of Lindsay. Oh that summer was amazing! :hearts:

Looking back on her career, I think that when she beat Arantxa in the gold medal match at the Atlanta games in 1996 was huge. She had never beaten Arantxa before and she does it in the Olympics for the gold medal. I think that win gave her the belief that she was a contender for slams. :worship:

Geisha
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:03 AM
Serena Williams - '01 Toronto SF/F. Serena lost tough matches to both Seles and Capriati earlier in the year, and I believe when she got through these two matches, back-to-back, her confidence rose dramatically.

Venus Williams - '00 Wimbledon QF. Obvious. Venus finally beat Hingis in a Grand Slam, in a terrific match. She went on to win 31 more matches in a row.

eck
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:07 AM
Henin def Capriati @ USOpen SF 2003 4-6 7-5 7-6. Being down 5-3 in the second, 5-2 in the third. 12 times or so she was 2 points away from losing the match.

and

Henin def Davenport @ AOQF 2003 9-7 in the third.

Brett.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:07 AM
Sophie Ferguson defeated Ai Sugiyama which have given her so much confidance! :worship:

Hashim.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:13 AM
all of the 2005..all the matches made Kim win US OPEN..

cartmancop
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:23 AM
Serena Miami '02 QF over Hingis 6/4 6/0
SF over Venus 6/2 6/2 :eek:
F over Capriati 7/5 7/6
She showed up with so much fire in this tourny. I think the win over Venus was the biggest...She hadn't beaten her in years, (just once @ Grand Slam cup final in '99, not counting IW WO) She was so intense after matches in this tourney, holding up #1 to show where she was headed....

cartmancop
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:25 AM
Not a fave, but JH win over Serena in SF of '03 FO, helped her alot...Also Davenport AO match... Those both presented sufficient opportunity for her to choke, which had been her tendency in the big moments before this year...

Ntour
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:32 AM
molik def. myskina Bronze Medal match Athens '04

She was on such a confidence wave after that until her vestibular neuronitis struck

aussie_fan
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:44 AM
For Alicia, you could say a few different matches but i would proably say the 2004 Zurich final and beating Sharapova, you could say athens and getting the bronze medal as well but winning that Tier I title in Zurich was probably the most crucial thing for her confidence.

For Sam, it's a tough one, i would actually have to say the '06 3rd round against Bammer, sure sam played terribly but getting to that 4th round barrier gave sam the confidence to go for that top 30 spot which she did end up getting towards the end of the year.

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:37 AM
For Myskina it was beating Muller 11-9 in the third in Fed Cup-2002. Martina saved 9 or 10 match-points but Nastya still managed to close out the match. It was her first win in the team and we know how much team competition used to mean for Myskina.
But also, though it sounds strange, the loss to Serena at Rome QF 3-6 4-6 was a huge confidence boost for Nastya as well, I think. Despite the pretty easy scoreline it became obvious she could compete with the very bests on the Tour.

sapir1434
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:49 AM
Amelie - The win over Mary Pierce in the 2005 championships, no doubt ;)

PLP
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:54 AM
Serena Miami '02 QF over Hingis 6/4 6/0
SF over Venus 6/2 6/2 :eek:
F over Capriati 7/5 7/6
She showed up with so much fire in this tourny. I think the win over Venus was the biggest...She hadn't beaten her in years, (just once @ Grand Slam cup final in '99, not counting IW WO) She was so intense after matches in this tourney, holding up #1 to show where she was headed....

OMFG! I can't believe she lost a total of 8 games to Venus and Martina...combined :eek:

In The Zone
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:56 AM
For Serena, I would probably say the 1999 US Open against Seles. This first real win for her at a grand slam really gave her the confidence and motivation to win her first Grand Slam title. And it showed in her victories over Davenport and Hingis.

spencercarlos
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:59 AM
Honestly for Serena was more the Canadian Open win in the semis vs Seles and in the final against Capriati, she fought and beat all her demonds there, went through after tons of match points and leads wasted. In fact she was to beat Capriati in straight sets in the final and then found herself one set all and down a break in the third.
With that Capriati match the "hypocondriac" factor from Serena completly went away and became soon the best player in the world.

spencercarlos
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:02 AM
Capriati defeating her old nemisis Monica Seles 4-6, 7-5, 6-3 in the 2001 AO quarterfinals, after being down 4-6, 2-4. And then going on to beat Davenport and Hingis in the SFs and Final.. Those 3 matches changed her career forever.
agreed completly that match was one of the best of the tournament! and yeah Capriati went from 5-7 2-4 to win 6-4 6-3 the last two sets, then beat Davenport 6-3 6-4 and Hingis 6-4 6-3.

Adal
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:43 AM
Sharapova - probably beating Mauresmo USO SF 06. Finally going to another GS Final (and winning it), stopped losing in SFs in GS, stopped being Semipova.

s_j
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:46 AM
For Sharapova I would say def. Kim 75 75 at San Diego in the final. After that match she only lost once to Justine in the YECs. She was unstoppable.

Hashim.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:12 AM
For Sharapova I would say def. Kim 75 75 at San Diego in the final. After that match she only lost once to Justine in the YECs. She was unstoppable.

After San Diego she even lost to Dementieva:p

Joachim1978
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:01 PM
For Hingis I would say it was her 4R 6-1 3-6 6-4 win over Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario at the US Open in 1996, when she was 16.

She had beaten Steffi Graf before then, but that was more of a fluke and was against a Graf who was clearly below her best.

But after beating Arantxa, who was seeded 3rd (Martina was seeded 16th) she really broke into the upper echelons of the game, beating Novotna in her QF and then really challenging Steffi in the SF.

She then went on to win her first tournaments, including a drubbing of Seles, which totally set her up for 1997 and beyond.

In her comeback I would probably say it's a toss up between Sharapova in Tokyo last year, and Venus in Rome (after losing the first set 0-6 and having lost a heartbreaker against her in Warsaw the week before).

For Kim Clijsters, I might say her SF win over Justine in the RG 01 semis.

And for Shahar Peer.....maybe winning the tight final over Myskina in Istanbul?

jujufreak
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:25 PM
Henin def Capriati @ USOpen SF 2003 4-6 7-5 7-6. Being down 5-3 in the second, 5-2 in the third. 12 times or so she was 2 points away from losing the match.

and

Henin def Davenport @ AOQF 2003 9-7 in the third.

especially that last one + the win against Seles in Dubai + the win against Serena in Charleston + the win against Clijsters in Berlin :cool:

Saving those three match points against Kim must have given her a great boost of confidence :D

crazyroberto6767
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:59 PM
Honestly for Serena was more the Canadian Open win in the semis vs Seles and in the final against Capriati, she fought and beat all her demonds there, went through after tons of match points and leads wasted. In fact she was to beat Capriati in straight sets in the final and then found herself one set all and down a break in the third.
With that Capriati match the "hypocondriac" factor from Serena completly went away and became soon the best player in the world.
Understandable choices, and that could have been a turning point. But I still feel Serena needed a slam break through like the Davenport match, she had won a Tier I title after her first slam. But she had been losing tight matches in slam quarters all through 2001 (three 3-set losses).

TomTennis
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:01 PM
I think one of Serena's that wasnt mentioned is Scottsdale 2002.

Beating Hingis and Capriati, really showed everyone how she could dominate, and she went from that tournament to win Miami, then go on a massive clay run (Berlin final, Rome and Paris Win) then obviously she dominated from there.