PDA

View Full Version : Kim Clijsters Museum Opens in Antwerp

goldenlox
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:41 PM
Kim Clijsters Museum Opens in Antwerp

2 February 2007
BRUSSELS — Kim Clijsters will be quitting next year. To mark the last year in her tennis career, a Kimuseum will be organized during the Proximus Diamond Games in the Sportpaleis in Antwerp, open to all tennis-lovers, De Morgen reports.

Kimuseum will display all the most important trophies that the tennis star from Limburg has won, as well as the so-called “Kim Clijsters-memorabilia”, including souvenirs and photos.
The museum will open on Sunday, 11 February and will be available to all the visitors of the Proximus Diamond Games.
Clijsters will be facing serious competition in Antwerp – Amélie Mauresmo, Nadia Petrova, Elena Dementieva, Patty Schnyder, Dinara Safina and Venus Williams.
Organizer of the games Bob Verbeeck spoke to Williams’ manager on Thursday, who confirmed that the twofold winner of the Proximus Diamond Games was in perfect shape and is training in the hope to win for the third time.
Qualification matches for the Proximus Diamond Games begin on 10 February.
[Copyright Expatica News 2007]

http://www.expatica.com/actual/article.asp?subchannel_id=48&story_id=36100

ZListCelebrity
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:53 PM
Will they be displaying all the tennis outfits Kim was wearing while losing to Justine?

Drake1980
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:55 PM
neat

Slumpsova
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:58 PM
it's a little bit too much IMO :tape:

rottweily
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:58 PM
Sorry but this is laughable.

-sugi-
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:13 PM
I think it is a really nice idea actually :)

fifiricci
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:28 PM
Will they be displaying all the tennis outfits Kim was wearing while losing to Justine?

miaow! :o

jazar
Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:56 PM
a museum already. i know people always make fun of belguim for having no famous people, but isnt this a bit too soon

papru
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:48 PM
:woohoo:

Helen Lawson
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:57 PM
That seems a little silly to me. Kim's a nice gal, but her record is pretty modest compared to a lot of other girls who play tennis who don't have any museum.

DutchieGirl
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:11 PM

:weirdo:

Gonzo Hates Me!
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:14 PM
LOL, that is so unnecessary!

Helen Lawson
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:14 PM

No, but they can display her Runner Up trophies at the French, US, and Australian when she lost to Justine all three times. Then they can have her Runner Up trophy to when Jen beat her at the French, and then a corner with a dedication to Mary Pierce.

Mike_T
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:16 PM
She’s not even dead yet :rolleyes: Apart from a modest collection of trophies, some half-inched from Leyton, what precisely do you put in a Kim Clijsters museum? Will they wheel her out on a spotlighted plinth, with a ‘Do Not Touch’ sign? Or will it be more Wacko Jacko style, £1700 for 90 seconds in her presence, including a 'free' signed tennis ball.

Dexter
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:18 PM
Kimuseum... :ignore: :tape:

thrust
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:22 PM
There is a Limburg in Holland too, or is Limburg in both countries?

DutchieGirl
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:25 PM
There is a Limburg in Holland too, or is Limburg in both countries?

In both.

No Name Face
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:27 PM
rotf. she won one slam.

missvarsha
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:46 PM
Well to me it sounds more like a temporary exhibition during the tournament, not a permanent museum, which is more understandeable.

Kim may be an overrated one slam wonder, but she is the only one who cares about the gazillion MM tourneys in BeNeLux, so it's sweet in a way.

Sara81
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:49 PM
Well to me it sounds more like a temporary exhibition during the tournament, not a permanent museum, which is more understandeable.

Kim may be an overrated one slam wonder, but she is the only one who cares about the gazillion MM tourneys in BeNeLux, so it's sweet in a way.

An overrated one slam wonder? :tape:

Dave.
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:58 PM
I think this is a really good idea. Yeah it's OTT, but they just want to celebrate one of their best athletes of all time. Clijsters has been such a good ambassador for tennis and for Belgium, so this is a nice gesture.

lienie18
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:59 PM
Jeezz why do people blow everything out of proportion, and no wonder, the haters first. Its a temporary exhibition at the main entrance of the tourney with some trophies & outfits. here is the pic. doesnt seem like a 'museum' right :rolleyes:

http://www.sport.be/nl/images/2007/februari/kimuseum1.jpg

Alfie
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:19 PM
What a great idea!
She's a really good ambassador for tennis and Belgium.
:kiss:

It's the least they can do for Kim as she's always supported
tournaments in her country and women's tennis in general rarely ever pulling out of tournaments and keeping her tournament commitments.

goldenlox
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:49 PM
'Kimuseum' à Anvers
01-02-2007 http://www.sport.be/layoutimages/article_email.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:popup('/fr/mailarticle/?article=http://www.sport.be/fr/tennis/article.html?Article_ID=186209','popupPrint','titl ebar=no,width=520,height=270,left=0,top=0,scrollba rs=yes')) http://www.sport.be/layoutimages/article_print.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:popup('/fr/imprimezarticle/?Article_ID=186209','popupPrint','titlebar=no,widt h=520,height=500,left=0,top=0,scrollbars=yes'))
Un hommage particulier sera rendu à Kim Clijsters pour sa tournée d'adieu. Chaque spectateur est invité à lui rendre au SportPaleis en rendant une petite visite au 'Kimuseum' érigé dans le hall d'entrée.

http://www.sport.be/nl/images/2007/februari/kimuseum3.jpgLe 'Kimuseum'.

Vous trouverez notamment dans ce 'Kimuseum' les trophées majeurs remportés par Clijsters. Un nombre appréciable d'objets concernant la championne limbourgeoise seront également exposés.

Le musée ouvrira ses portes à partir du dimanche 11 février et sera ouvert au public tous les jours durant toute la durée des Proximus Diamond Games.

Kim Clijsters tentera de décrocher une seconde victoire à Anvers. La concurrence sera rude, avec des joueuses du calibre d'Amélie Mauresmo, Nadia Petrova, Elena Dementieva, Patty Schnyder, Dinara Safina, et Venus Williams également présentes aux Proximus Diamond Games. Kirsten Flipkens et Caroline Maes ont bénéficié d'une wildcard pour le tableau final.

http://www.sport.be/fr/tennis/article.html?Article_ID=186209

austennis
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:05 PM
Its a nice tribute to some1 who has captivated the tennis worlds attention and given millions of people in Belgium something to cheer about.. i think its great..

QUEENLINDSAY
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:19 PM
This is just a thankyou gesture for Kim what she did for Tennis in Belgium. Its not like they are putting a permanent pedestal.

Geesh!!! All the haters are envious!

Well, at least Kim is respected by more people thats why she is treated this way by the organizer.

Wednesday
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:26 PM
What a great idea. Is this going to be a permanent museum or just while the Antwerp tournament is on?

Geertvg
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:27 PM
Just during the tournament :)

Reuchlin
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:30 PM
Are they going to have another go at trying to build a wax replica of Kim too?
Hopefully, they can learn from their mistakes...

!<blocparty>!
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:38 PM
Kimuseum! How fun! :bounce:

I hope Kim will thank her fans and give them all free cars!

Andrew..
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:42 PM
This will look even dumber when she comes back to play Hasselt next year.

thetennisgirl
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:53 PM
hmm they should get that wax figure that was made of her and put it in there- must go look for the thread on that, hilarious- ah no looks like a nice tribute to kimmie, hopefully she'll have a few more by years end!!!

Ben.
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:55 PM
Well i think it will be a nice idea actually even though Kim hasn't retired yet.

DutchieGirl
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:11 PM

At least Kim has a slam, unlike your country woman!

DutchieGirl
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:12 PM

Behind the times? Or just didn't hear that Hasselt is cancelled?

!<blocparty>!
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:24 PM

As least Sania isn't fat, unlike your countrywoman!

missvarsha
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:32 AM

Ok. And thats relevant, exactly how ?
If they make a Saniamuseum during the Bangalore Open feel free to mock me. Until then, cram it.

mboyle
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:08 AM
Aw...Kimmie is so sweet. :hug: I did think it was permanent when I first read it, which would be well...interesting, but this is definitely appropriate and not OTT.

Brett.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:19 AM
lol @ Kimuseum!
Its sound japanese!

thomas.chung
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:22 AM
I thought Kimuseum will be permanent at one point, but after hearing that it is temporary, I am a little relieve. Cause at this rate, Kim will have a "Kim Clijsters memorial clinic" in no time.

xin_hui
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:05 AM

your statement looks even dumber considering the fact that there is no longer a hasselt tournament :weirdo:

DutchieGirl
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:26 AM
As least Sania isn't fat, unlike your countrywoman!

:scratch: Who's fat? Stosur? Molik? I'm an AUSSIE! :haha:

DutchieGirl
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:27 AM
Ok. And thats relevant, exactly how ?
If they make a Saniamuseum during the Bangalore Open feel free to mock me. Until then, cram it.

It's relevant because you are going off that Kim only has 1 GS - well so what? At least she has one...Sania doesn't (and btw I like Sania, but you need to shut up about Kim).

ZListCelebrity
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:29 AM

What a stupid kindergarten-level argument.

DutchieGirl
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:32 AM

Kind of like the thread you started. :yawn:

fifiricci
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:46 AM
Someone on CCL has reported that the museum is going to be permanent, in due course.

rottweily
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:49 AM
Someone on CCL has reported that the museum is going to be permanent, in due course.

:tape:

eck
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:16 AM
:o :o :o

Greenout
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:38 AM
hmm they should get that wax figure that was made of her and put it in there- must go look for the thread on that, hilarious- ah no looks like a nice tribute to kimmie, hopefully she'll have a few more by years end!!!

:lol:

Belgium, museum, tennis players - classic. Oh God. The image of those wax figures from the previous project. :tape:

Are they gonna sell tote bags, have overpriced coffee and pasteries like at other museums in the Kimuseum? ;)

Brett.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:52 AM
What is CCL?

arn
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:56 AM
Being the very small museum it is, and considering it's only temp, I think it's a nice idea. They don't even charge the people to get in (you can get in for free if you have a ticket for the tournament. I don't see how people can object to this.

LudwigDvorak
Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:43 AM
I love how everyone here hates each other. Oh, man.

This thread is hilarious. I didn't know that they'd tried to make a wax figure of her before. Any pictures of that around?

I think it's a weird idea, regardless of if it's permanent or temporary. She has 34 titles + a few exhibitions (I'm presuming), but are these HER trophies, or replicas? I don't know why anyone would want to look at a replica of a replica (presuming trophies at normal tournaments are given in the same respect as Slams). It just sounds like something a person looks at inside for three minutes and then leaves. What's to leave behind to the fan aside from Kim's mug bobbing up and down?

I'd rather a Navratilovauseum, personally.

By the by, when did Kim ever become an ambassador of tennis? I know she's internationally recognized but what's she done for tennis?

Meeek
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:08 AM
I love Kim, but it seems a little over the top and all...

fifiricci
Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:33 AM
I love Kim, but it seems a little over the top and all...

Some may think so. I think its a shame that they have chosen to call it a "museum" because lots of people seem to have reacted negatively to that idea. Maybe it would have been better to just label it an "exhibition" or a "retrospective". If I were Kim, I'm not sure I'd want a "museum" erected in my memory (a) before I've retired and (b) before I'm dead ;)

tennnisfannn
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:00 AM
Perhaps the organisers are still giddy from all the wine and champagne she has been buying them.

pooh14
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:03 AM
i think what they meant is in exhibition.

Meeek
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:19 AM
Some may think so. I think its a shame that they have chosen to call it a "museum" because lots of people seem to have reacted negatively to that idea. Maybe it would have been better to just label it an "exhibition" or a "retrospective". If I were Kim, I'm not sure I'd want a "museum" erected in my memory (a) before I've retired and (b) before I'm dead ;)

Exactly.

!<blocparty>!
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:17 AM
:scratch: Who's fat? Stosur? Molik? I'm an AUSSIE! :haha:

Um, yeah, so why assume that poster is Indian when you're called DutchieGirl, have a Dutch flag by your name and come from AUS.

Exactly. :rolleyes: I guess only the people from countries with slam holders able to criticise the Kimuseum!

jujufreak
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:46 PM
when did Kim ever become an ambassador of tennis? I know she's internationally recognized but what's she done for tennis?

good question :tape:

Martian KC
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:29 PM
Will they have a clay model of Lleyton's penis?

rottweily
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:05 PM
Will they have a clay model of Lleyton's penis?

:tape:

goldenlox
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:47 PM
That's good if it's permanent. A lasting legacy for Kim

http://www.sport.be/nl/images/2007/februari/kimuseum1.jpg

http://www.sport.be/nl/images/2007/februari/kimuseum3.jpgLe 'Kimuseum'.

Alfie
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:17 PM
I just love how the small group of Kim haters come here into a Kim thread and inundate it with inane posts.

Like I said, this museum is a treat for her many fans in Belgium and especially in Flanders. Tennis tournaments in other countries should follow Antwerp's lead and add exhibitions, museums, or music events to make it fun for fans.

What difference does it make if they call it a Kim museum or an exhibition?
Who cares if some hater trolls here are offended? This idea is not for them.

xin_hui
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:19 PM
I just love how the small group of Kim haters come here into a Kim thread and inundate it with inane posts.

Like I said, this museum is a treat for her many fans in Belgium and especially in Flanders. Tennis tournaments in other countries should follow Antwerp's lead and add exhibitions, museums, or music events to make it fun for fans.

:yeah: :worship:

treufreund
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:26 PM
it's a cool idea. I like it. Yes a bit over the top but Kim is a great woman and great player. People should celebrate her (and should celebrate good things and people in general! instead of always focusing on the negative)

cellophane
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:42 PM
Kimuseum? :lol: That name is hilarious!

Anyway, they aren't having this museum at Wimbledon (not that I'd mind!), so why is it over the top? It's at Kim's home tournament, so it's completely appropriate.

fifiricci
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:30 PM

That's fair enough, but I can see how some people (even possibly some Kim "fans" ;) ) might think that this development is a tad indulgent. I'm not sure this is a thing that many other countries, large or small, have done for a single tennis player (eg in the UK I'm not aware that even a particular corner of the Wimbledon museum is devoted to Virginia Wade, never mind her getting a whole museum to herself :devil: ).

Obviously, its perfectly within Belgian Tennis's gift to set new precedents, as they seem to be doing with this. I am no Justine fan, but if they are doing this for Kim, I just wonder what they will do for Justine when her time comes (assuming that in Belgium they are going to be fair and apply equity?). Thinking about it (Justine having the much bigger dimension if you measure the difference between the two players in Grand Slam victories), you can only imagine that they will have to build an enormous bloody great shrine or similar place of worship smack bang in the middle of Brussels! :lol:

cellophane
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:49 PM
That's fair enough, but I can see how some people (even possibly some Kim "fans" ;) ) might think that this development is a tad indulgent. I'm not sure this is a thing that many other countries, large or small, have done for a single tennis player (eg in the UK I'm not aware that even a particular corner of the Wimbledon museum is devoted to Virginia Wade, never mind her getting a whole museum to herself :devil: ).

Why? :shrug: So she has only won 1 slam. But if they are doing that because she is well liked for her personality, what's wrong with that? Well, I guess for it would be wrong for those who think she doesn't have a personality. But anyway, it's in Belgium, so that's not even an issue.

LUXXXAS
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:50 PM
OMG :haha: :tape:

cellophane
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:01 PM
I agree that calling it a museum is kinda ridiculous. They might have as well called it the Kim Clijsters Mausoleum.

auntie janie
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:48 PM

Obviously, its perfectly within Belgian Tennis's gift to set new precedents, as they seem to be doing with this. I am no Justine fan, but if they are doing this for Kim, I just wonder what they will do for Justine when her time comes (assuming that in Belgium they are going to be fair and apply equity?). Thinking about it (Justine having the much bigger dimension if you measure the difference between the two players in Grand Slam victories), you can only imagine that they will have to build an enormous bloody great shrine or similar place of worship smack bang in the middle of Brussels! :lol:

Ha, a battle of the player Shrines! :lol: I love it. But when will they get around to re-naming highways and CITIES after these two! That's when we'll know they're REALLY serious in their adoration. :D

nsquare
Feb 4th, 2007, 03:05 AM
is this serious?it sounds so ridiculous.They may open a mirza museum here in india if they hear this news.

Greenout
Feb 4th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Someone please bump up the Belgium Wax Museum thread with the so called Kimmy and Justine "look-a-likes"!

This was one of the funniest threads in GM, and showed the wacky side of Belgium. :p

Alfie
Feb 4th, 2007, 03:42 AM

Ahh, Ginny Wade. She was an underrated commentator back when the Virginia Slims Championships was still in NYC.

Your point's taken. Initially I thought the Kim museum was excessive, but in light of the famous joke about Belgium not having any famous people and the fact Kim is very popular especially at home, it's not really surprising.

Bumsby
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Hey, now that I think about it, I want an Amélie-shrine at Paris indoor, too :(

It's not fair, only Kim's got a museum... I'm sure the players are going to joke a little bit about it :devil: :tape:

Bumsby
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:02 AM
Perhaps the organisers are still giddy from all the wine and champagne she has been buying them.
:haha:

I hope Kim will thank her fans and give them all free cars!
:lol: yes and golden watches to those who stay inside more than 10 minutes as a sign of recognition of their support, etc. :rolleyes: ;)

Btw, I'm sure this year they'll make an event where Kim bakes a lot of cakes and pies in front of the fans to show that she is preparing for her future as a housewife.

strictennis
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:38 AM
it's too early for a kimusem or something

auntie janie
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:45 PM
I'm surprised to learn that Kim has only won ONE title (so far) at her beloved Antwerp tournament. Maybe the museum should be dedicated instead to the players who had more success there. How about a Momoseum or a MuseVeeum? :silly:

jujufreak
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:07 PM
I'm surprised to learn that Kim has only won ONE title (so far) at her beloved Antwerp tournament. Maybe the museum should be dedicated instead to the players who had more success there. How about a Momoseum or a MuseVeeum? :silly:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

lielabet7
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:18 PM
By the by, when did Kim ever become an ambassador of tennis? I know she's internationally recognized but what's she done for tennis?

Kim has done so much for women's tennis! She is an excellant ambassador for tennis with her personality, fairplay and respectful nature towards all her apponents. She also participates in kids clinics and other fundraising tournaments for good causes!
She definately deserves to have this tribute to her!!!!

jujufreak
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Kim has done so much for women's tennis! She is an excellant ambassador for tennis with her personality, fairplay and respectful nature towards all her apponents. She also participates in kids clinics and other fundraising tournaments for good causes!
She definately deserves to have this tribute to her!!!!

OMG she does all that :eek: :eek: :eek:

what a goddess :worship:

:p

there are so many players participating in kids clinics and fundraising tournaments, we've seen her personality in the Aussie Open match against Sharapova :tape:

Meeek
Feb 4th, 2007, 05:45 PM
OMG she does all that :eek: :eek: :eek:

what a goddess :worship:

:p

there are so many players participating in kids clinics and fundraising tournaments, we've seen her personality in the Aussie Open match against Sharapova :tape:

Pot. Kettle.

saki
Feb 4th, 2007, 06:19 PM
This is quite funny. Players like Graf and Navratilova don't have museums or exhibitions or whatever dedicated to them, it's kinda laughable that Kim gets one.

I also don't really understand why anyone would go to it. I love Justine, I think she's a great player and person but I wouldn't go and look at replicas of replicas of her trophies and a few photos of her. I'd rather just rewatch some of her classic matches.