PDA

View Full Version : what's wrong with Maria?

Slumpsova
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:21 PM
she seems to struggle a lot in Tokyo :confused:

goldenlox
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:25 PM
You mean Kirilenko? She's starting to play better.

Slumpsova
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:31 PM
i mean Sharapova.

Lady
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:35 PM
She's human? She can't play top notch tennis all the time?

goldenlox
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:36 PM
Sharapova goes thru slumps. Yet she still wins titles. I don't know if that first match against Pin in the heat is still affecting her.
She gets a rest after this week, and if she isn't playing well in Dubai and IW, then it might be a worry.

jacobruiz
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:37 PM
Her serve continues to be off but other than that I wouldn't say winning against Ai 4-6 6-0 6-1 is struggling all that much.

Maria will fix her serve - sooner rather than later, I hope.

ioni
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:40 PM
from your point of view the fact that she still wins !

Craigy
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:41 PM
I think shes going through a mini-slump? :p
But she will probably still win this tourney :)

RenaSlam.
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:21 PM
There is no one in this tournament to seriously trouble her...she will win this along with IW where virtually no top players are playing.

Mina Vagante
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:23 PM
yeh i think she should win this but i hope dementieva defends her title :p

Marcell
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:27 PM
Shaky service worries Sharapova

POSTED: 5:08 a.m. EST, February 2, 2007

TOKYO, Japan -- World number one Maria Sharapova battled her way into the semifinals of the Pan Pacific Open in Tokyo with a 4-6 6-0 6-1 victory over Japan's Ai Sugiyama on Friday.

The 19-year-old Russian squandered a 3-1 lead to drop the first set but quickly recovered after a calming head-to-head with coach Michael Joyce to whitewash Sugiyama in the second.

Sharapova has dismissed on-court coaching as a gimmick but she only clicked into gear in her opening match against Italy's Francesca Schiavone following a dressing-down from Joyce.

Watched by Japan's Prince Akishino, Sharapova made another rapid transformation after dropping the first set, winning 12 of the next 13 games to advance to the last four.

"I was giving Ai all the time in the world to do her thing," said Sharapova, who served 14 double faults after an embarrassing 17 against Schiavone.

"I wasn't going for my shots in the first set. Michael told me to step in and be more aggressive."

Sharapova, who faces fifth seed Ana Ivanovic in the semifinals, admitted her erratic serve was causing her concern.

"I'm not going to win too many matches serving the way I'm serving," said Sharapova, beaten by Serena Williams in the final of the Australian Open at the weekend.

"I'm not going to get away with it against higher-ranked players."

Asked by a Japanese reporter if any tweaking of her service action was to blame for all the double faults, Sharapova snapped: "No. Don't need a translation for that!"

Mina Vagante
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:31 PM
her serve has been terrible since the start of the year

plantman
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:40 PM
There is no one in this tournament to seriously trouble her...she will win this along with IW where virtually no top players are playing.

Hmmmm.......Sounds alot like another player and the tournaments she plays in!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nicolás89
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:44 PM
at least she won the match, losing the first set so:shrug:

Nicolás89
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:45 PM
Hmmmm.......Sounds alot like another player and the tournaments she plays in!:lol: :lol: :lol:

ypure talking about martina right?;)

pooh14
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:55 PM
maria is going through a 'not so good' patch just like any players go through, including serena.

i think people are reading too much into her reason lost.
she is probably trying to change her service motion which might not appear good at the moment but benefit her in the future.

saying all this, i still hope hingis wins the tournament :D she needs it more then maria ;)

Mightymirza
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:57 PM
Hmm..Well shes just showing how russian she is...;)

plantman
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:59 PM
ypure talking about martina right?;)

Well..............................Who else would it be? Did you have somebody in mind?:drool:

bellascarlett
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:59 PM
serving and confidence issues. :o