PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo SF: Dementieva vs. Hingis..time for revenge or another easy vic.for Lena??

Beny
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:23 AM
Vote ;)

Beny
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:26 AM
I think Lena will win 62,64 :cool:

go hingis
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:33 AM
Lena does play well against Martina but Martina has been playing the better tennis lately. I say Martina in two.

ioni
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:33 AM
Elena in 3 sets !

cypher_88
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:44 AM
elena in three!!:kiss:

Dementinator
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:56 AM
I really feel if Hingis is to win this, she will have to do it in two ,if it goes to three then Lenas far superior power and fitness will just smash Hinigis down ,as athletes goes Lena is in a mucher higher league. That said ,Lena can struggle with "tricky" players and Hingis is one of those , she will make Lena play many shots and use angles etc , that can annoy Lena and start the UEs comming ,Plus ,Lena MUST serve well , like today ,17 Dfs ala Masha will not do.

So ,Its hard to predict ,I can see Lena winning it and just as easy losing it ,Hinigis is better than this time last year ,so I do not expect a 6-2 6-0 win this time , but she STILL has trouble with the stronger bigger girls ,so we will have to see... my guess is Hinigis in 2 or Lena in 3

UncleZeke
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:58 AM
Martina in 2 close sets.

aussie_fan
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:18 AM
Hingis in straight sets

Louis Cyphre
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:20 AM
easy 3 sets Lena style victory :devil:

kfh_9118
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:21 AM
Elena in 3 sets, hopefully she will win :)

DEETHELICK
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:24 AM
Good luck Elena... we want more blogs! :)

Mr.Kardashian
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:24 AM
lena d in 3 sets... good luck elena!!!

ctan88
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:25 AM
Hingis in two routine sets, something along the lines of a 63, 63 win

LudwigDvorak
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:31 AM
What can Martina do that can really hurt Elena? Elena likes angles, she can track down drop shots, she's just as efficient as Hingis at net (who doesn't even come to net that much anyway), she can pass, and she can overpower Hingis. Hingis is a much better claycourter than Elena, so it's no surprise Martina beat Elena there last year, but anywhere else...

Granted, none of that means anything if Elena's playing poorly. Yes, Elena can get irritated by the tricky players, but Martina would have to be playing out of her mind to beat Elena, much like when Patty beat Elena in Paris or like in Berlin for Hingis for example. (Both of which are slower courts.)

I believe in Elena here. She likes playing against Hingis. I just hope she doesn't have to face Sharapova in the final if she does win.

Keaka
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:06 AM
Hingis 62 75

Shimizu Amon
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:06 AM
I voted Martina in 3. She wont be able to trash Dementieva the way she did Stosur. No chance in hell. Dementieva will fight back and I wouldn't be surprised if she's gonna win this match.

Pilongo
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:09 AM
It will be a close match. Don't know who will win, but if both ladies play their best, its going to be a match to follow

Veritas
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:27 AM
Lena usually has trouble keeping up her good form for long. There's more chance she'll do a 180 and completely bomb in her SF. It's happened many times before - there'll be a match where she serves aces instead of DFs, but plays like a completely different person afterwards.

barmaid
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:34 AM
So far Sharapova has the worst serving stats in this tournament but I really think this match will be decided on which player can serve better. Looking at Elena's stats against Vinci her overall % was 63% with 3 double faults..first serve 77%, second serve only 44%...Martina's stats against Stosur were 69% with 1st serve 81% but 2nd serve 42% and 4 double faults so their percentages are similar..only thing is Stosur is a top 20's player and Martina beat her 6-0 and 6-1...Vinci was only ranked 119 but Elena was impressive also with her 6-1 and 6-2 score. Hope its a good competitive match!:worship:

barmaid:wavey:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:36 AM
Hingis in 2

pooh14
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:38 AM
On any other surface, I would give advantage to Hingis, but on carpet, I think it would be 50-50, depends on who plays better tommorow.

papru
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:43 AM
this time Hingie 62 63

Sund7101
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:31 PM
Martina in 2, one tight set and one easy set.

Highlandman
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:32 PM
Dementieva 7-6,6-4

égalité
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:35 PM
Martina 6-1 6-0

kinglear
Feb 2nd, 2007, 01:07 PM
I'm surprised that most people voted that Hingis will thrash Lena, but I don't think so. Even if Lena lost, I don't think it will be like the Stosur match. Then again, Martina has been hitting that ball pretty hard lately. :sad: I love Hingis, but Lena's my forever girl. I'm not going to predict that Lena wins, because she's going to do what's she going to do for herself. Even if she wins, I'm almost positive that she'll meet with Sharapova in the final. :o Lena beat the #1 screamer at JP Morgan Chase, so I'm hoping she can do it again. But I won't count the eggs before they hatch. :p

Ryan
Feb 2nd, 2007, 01:33 PM
I think thats just because there's no straight sets option, and most of them are being optimistic. ;) I think its good for Hingis that they're playing in the SF's and not finals - Martina's played pretty well in Semis since she's come back. I think it will be pretty close, but I have to go with Hingis something like 7-5 6-4.

Poova
Feb 2nd, 2007, 01:35 PM
Hingis will win I think...

dizoo
Feb 2nd, 2007, 01:41 PM
Hingis 6/4 6/3

new-york
Feb 2nd, 2007, 01:48 PM
i'd say Demented in two.:eek: :bolt:

No Name Face
Feb 2nd, 2007, 01:53 PM
LenaD 6-3, 6-4 :bolt:

CORIA01
Feb 2nd, 2007, 01:54 PM
I think that the winner will win in 3 sets but I really hope Martina could be at her best and be in the final again!!!

Dexter
Feb 2nd, 2007, 02:23 PM
Lena in 2.

TennisSTUD
Feb 2nd, 2007, 02:29 PM
I think Martina will come out like she did against Kim but not make the same mistakes.

selyoink
Feb 2nd, 2007, 02:54 PM
This match is in Lena's hands. If she is hitting her shots Hingis has no chance. If she is missing then Hingis will win. I think Lena will hit her shots and dispatch Hingis in straight sets.

Tenis Srbija
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:05 PM
C'mon precious (Lena) :hearts: :bounce:

RenaSlam.
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:06 PM
Lena in three.

vrp1
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:27 PM
I´m happy to see this match :lick: , if ES2 works this time. I think Elena :hearts: could win in 3! 4:6 6:3 7:5! But if Marty wins .... I have no problem with that.... :)

Mina Vagante
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:33 PM
Eelena 7-5 0-6 6-4

Viktymise
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:36 PM
I think lena in 3, she owns Hingis on carpet courts, hasn't lost more than 4 games in there last 3 meetings indoors

Moscow 01 won 6-2 6-2 (When Hingis was world number1, Lena was superb that day :worship:
Filderstadt 02 won 6-3 6-1
Tokyo 06 6-2 6-0

I think it will be tougher this time but lena has too much power and speed for Hingis on a quick court like Tokyo, Hingis's best chance do win would no doubt be on clay, im suprised how lobsided the poll is considering how lena had dominated their H2H after their early meetings when lena was inexperienced, and how she crunched Hingis at this same event last year, but lena usully does better when she doesn't win these polls :lol:, Davai lena :rocker2:

Viktymise
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:37 PM
To be honest the match rests in lena's hands, if she comes out playing well she will win in straights, if not she could either lose in straights or dig it out in 3 :)

I<3Myskina
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:44 PM
It won't be easy, but Lena is 3.

No.1Hingis
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:07 PM
Martina in 2 set.. very close match.. why .. cause both are confident with their wins yesterday.. but Martina will be out there with an strategy .. even she should be the fav this time cause her rank..

Helen Lawson
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:09 PM
If there's ever been a "dizzy dame" on the tour, it's Lena D. In other words, who knows. I predict Lena D in straight sets.

hingisGOAT
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:06 PM
the match is in lena's hands? :weirdo: i'm sorry but hingis has a better serve, backhand, volleys, variety, etc. everything except the forehand (and on some days even her forehand is better).

yes dementieva beat hingis in straight sets... in late 2001 and late 2002, the two worst periods in hingis' career. not that hard to beat hingis then.

last year they both crushed each other once. i think hingis will crush her again :) it's all in hingis' hands :bowdown:

-Makiri-
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:15 PM
Lena in 3

UDACHi
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:18 PM
the match is in lena's hands? :weirdo: i'm sorry but hingis has a better serve, backhand, volleys, variety, etc. everything except the forehand (and on some days even her forehand is better).

yes dementieva beat hingis in straight sets... in late 2001 and late 2002, the two worst periods in hingis' career. not that hard to beat hingis then.

last year they both crushed each other once. i think hingis will crush her again :) it's all in hingis' hands :bowdown:

lena has power.

daniela86
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:21 PM
I think Martina will take her revenge :D :D

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:26 PM
lena has power.

Hingis has brains :p

UDACHi
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:34 PM
Hingis has brains :p

yes, she does. but can hingis come out and use brains to blow dementieva away? nope. can she come out and beat herself with those brains? unlikely. elena has the ability to either kill hingis or commit suicide in this match. it really is in her hands...

PLP
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:35 PM

Agreed.
I like Lena but last year she benefited from an exhausted Martina, just back on the tour and at the end of a difficult 5 week run. I don't see Martina losing in str8 sets, that hardly ever happens anyway. She has lost 3 very tight 3 set matches this year.
Martina is in better form, is playing aggressively, and she won the last time they played.
Martina in 2 close sets, 7-5, 6-3.

Drake1980
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:36 PM
revenge time:devil:

AnnaK_4ever
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:43 PM
elena has the ability to either kill hingis or commit suicide in this match. it really is in her hands...

You overestimate Dementieva. The only ability she has is doublefaulting either herself or opponent to death... but killing a top-player?.. :lol:

UDACHi
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:46 PM
You overestimate Dementieva. The only ability she has is doublefaulting either herself or opponent to death... but killing a top-player?.. :lol:

elena could very well kill martina. i don't think she will, but it is possible. if elena came out on fire and kept it up, it would be hard for martina to do much. when a big hitter is in the zone, martina doesn't really have much of a chance.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:00 PM
Martina lost with Mirza and Clijsters this year .

It seems that she hates to play vs players with powerful forehands

goldenlox
Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:18 PM
Hingis, who lost to Dementieva 6-2, 6-0 in last year's final, said she is looking forward to facing the Russian.
"If I play like I did today, I don't have to be afraid of anyone on the other side of the net," Hingis said.
"I want revenge and hopefully I can take more than two games."
Hingis, who won four Toray titles prior to a three-year retirement that ended in 2005, said she felt fortified by a dinner of shabu-shabu and a beauty massage courtesy of her sponsor.
"It's not coincidence I play well here [in Tokyo]," Hingis said. "I'm very comfortable here. It feels like being home and not being away at a tournament."

KV
Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:21 PM
Lena

Nicolás89
Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:24 PM
yes, she does. but can hingis come out and use brains to blow dementieva away? nope.

well martina used her brains to beat lena in berlin last year so:shrug:
ofcourse was in a totaly different court but still:wavey:

PLP
Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:26 PM
Hingis, who lost to Dementieva 6-2, 6-0 in last year's final, said she is looking forward to facing the Russian.
"If I play like I did today, I don't have to be afraid of anyone on the other side of the net," Hingis said.
"I want revenge and hopefully I can take more than two games."
Hingis, who won four Toray titles prior to a three-year retirement that ended in 2005, said she felt fortified by a dinner of shabu-shabu and a beauty massage courtesy of her sponsor.
"It's not coincidence I play well here [in Tokyo]," Hingis said. "I'm very comfortable here. It feels like being home and not being away at a tournament."

Great comments by Martina! :wavey:
Thanx!!!!

Shimizu Amon
Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:30 PM
Well I think Hingis is going to win this match. But I really, really hope Dementieva is going to win this.

And about Hingis comments: you should never be afraid of your opponent, just make sure that you don't underestimate them and that you don't get to cocky about yourself.

jazar
Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:44 PM
hingis in 3

Ryan
Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:55 PM
I cant believe people STILL believe Martina has no say in these matches. Obviously if Elena plays in a zone she'll win - same with pretty much any player. But if she plays at her normal level Martina has a 50% chance of winning - and if Martina plays in a zone she'll definately win too.

Dementinator
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:05 PM
you just cant predict Elena at all ,Hinigs is a little more certain ,you know she will play pretty damn good most of the time ,and ELena could well turn up and play total poo ,on the otherhand ,she could simply trash Hinigis in minutes ,you just dont know. I wouldnt like to call it.

MatchpointPRT
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:14 PM
I think many people understimate Martina is terms of fitness... i think her main problem when she has to play the 3rd set is that she loses her concentration because she wanted to win in 2, in her mind she thinks that she could have finished earlier and so she loses a bit the motivation... I´m not sure who will win, i think Martina has good chances, but at the same time Dementieva hasn´t been performing very very well in her last tournaments so maybe she´s really looking to play her best in tokyo and that can make things really difficult for Martina. But if Martina plays her best she wins... we never know what to expect from Dementieva... but i vote in Martina to win this match.

Wayn77
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:15 PM
impossible to predict ....

anything could happen in this match ... loads of breaks ... who wants it more? :shrug:

UDACHi
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:17 PM
I cant believe people STILL believe Martina has no say in these matches. Obviously if Elena plays in a zone she'll win - same with pretty much any player. But if she plays at her normal level Martina has a 50% chance of winning - and if Martina plays in a zone she'll definately win too.

that's exactly what i was saying..

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:34 PM
This one is a toss up. I hope Hingis can win though :bounce: I picked Hingis in 3 .

Viktymise
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:40 PM

Obviously she has a say in all her matches, or else she wouldn't have 5 slams, been No1 and currently in the top 10 but, most of this match depends of which Dementieva shows up, its pretty certain Martina will play solid tennis with little to go wrong, lena on the other hand is almost 50/50 whether she will come out on the offense or on the defense, like against Vaidisova at AO, she will have much more opportunity to be offensive tomorrow against Martina than some of the other big hitters. Hingis's serve is very breakable and thats something lena thrives on, lena is a better mover and hits harder and has more weight to her shot than Hingis. Hingis is solid and is a great all rounder with little to go wrong but it unlikely she will win this match easily unless Dementieva plays poorly. Its almost 50-50 this one i think

kinglear
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:44 PM
yes, she does. but can hingis come out and use brains to blow dementieva away? nope. can she come out and beat herself with those brains? unlikely. elena has the ability to either kill hingis or commit suicide in this match. it really is in her hands...

Plus, who says that Lena doesn't have brains? She has brains too. Remember the Tokyo final? Lena didn't just outhit Martina, she uses Martina's best weapons against her: the dropshot, the volleys and lobs. I think what happened to Martina in that final was that she was remembering how it felt when the Williams and Davenport, etc beat her up with their strokes. So anyway, always remember, Lena is smart. :)

Josh.
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:46 PM
lena in 3.. (fingers crossed)

tennisvulture
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:49 PM
this one is easy- Martina wins it and gets her revenge.

DOUBLEFIST
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:57 PM
I'm figurin' Hingy in a quick two.

I think she's on a mission this year (in fact, I think she might very well get to the French finals), and is out to make a statement. With Shapo exposed and struggling, Martina smells blood in the water. I'd be surprised if she managed to lose this match.

I think she struggles in the third set against big hitters- not because she's not in good cardio shape- but because she's not physically STRONG enough to stave off those big hits. But, even in three, I think Hingy still wins this one.

piercerocks
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:09 PM
lena 64 76

LudwigDvorak
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:50 PM
Elena might be two whole ranking spots beneath Hingis, but the favorite has to be Elena rationally speaking. Hingis has such a difficult time playing the power players. She'd really have to be in a zone + Elena fucking up a lot to win. She did score a win over Elena last year, but that was clay, Elena's worst surface and perhaps Hingis' best.

Hingis went 9-16 against the top players + top power players (Venus, primarily) in 2006. Take from that what you will.

But, forza Elena. Woot.

Ryan
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:24 PM
Uhh, she needs to be in a zone AND have Elena screw up? You're insane.

austennis
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:57 PM
Hingis should win this match she is the better player.. but lena has amazing ground strokes when she is playing well .. i wish this was the final again but i hope Hingis can take it in two.. 7-5, 6-3

@danieln1
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:07 PM
Dementieva in three ( 3-6, 7-5, 6-1)

Buitenzorg
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:23 PM
Hingis 6-4 6-2

tobi
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:49 PM
Hopefully Lena :)

TeamUSA#1
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:53 PM
tennis is about confidence and hunger, and I think Martina has more confidence going into this match and is hungrier. I also think she senses that Sharapova will probably make the final, and Maria is not playing great right now---she smells blood. I think Martina will win Toyko this year. She's on a mission to prove something!

Dementieva Guts
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:12 AM
:bowdown: A showdown from the 2 best in the biz. The 2 most hustling players, these 2 have the best balance game in the field. They don't rely on there :yawn: boring serve bomb. They rely on grit, determination, passion, speed and gut feeling shots.

Every time these two get it on, it's a ppv like event. HBO could get a piece of these... this smells MONEY !

I don't care who'll win: A pure classic 64 67 75 Dementieva in a 2h51 match between 2 true gladiators.

tennisbum79
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:47 AM
Hingis will.
She thrives on palying these non-plan B, mid-range power players.

They have power, but not so much that it will deny rallies to Hingis.
And if they go into rallies, Hingis will take over.

swissmisshingis
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:21 AM
It's hard to say, honestly I'm not sure who's gonna win..but of course i'm rooting for Martina.

hablo
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:25 AM
I'm gonna go the safe route :
Lena in 3, allez davai! :devil:

*hingis_forever*
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:45 AM
I hate the way people say that this match is in Elena's hands. Power is not the determining factor of who's in control of a match. If it was Hingis would barely be a top 100 player. Anyway, I say Hingis in two tough sets 75 76.

LudwigDvorak
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:56 AM
To the guy who said Hingis doesn't need to be in a zone + Elena making errors: Hingis doesn't hit winners much and she forces her opponents to hit tons of errors, so it fits together; Hingis in a zone + Elena making errors = Hingis winning, unless they're both making it a comedy of errors and sucking out there and Hingis just makes fewer errors or something.

I just can't help but remember that first set against Li at the Australian. That's what the power players do to Hingis. Li just isn't as consistent as the top ones yet, including Elena. Unless Dementieva is having a bad day at the office, Hingis is not beating her. And I saw the Berlin match; Demented wasn't coming to net, hitting lobs or drop shots, slicing it up, it was just power power power, and that's not going to work on clay. That was definitely a bad day at the office.

But regardless! It seems like I'm just putting down Hingy, but it can really go either way. I want the winner of this match to take the title. But I guess it would be amusing if Ivanovic took another Tier I over Hingis, if she beats Sharapova.

OZTENNIS
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:25 AM
Hingis 6-2, 6-3

Havok
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:43 AM
Martina really shouldn't lose this match. Elena's got tons of power, but MArtina is so much better than she is, and she's a monster on carpet as well. Martina's serve is gonna be very important here, and as long as she can keep on holding more than she gets broken she wins because she can easily break Elena every single time she'll have to serve.

Hingis in 2, would be shocked if it goes to 3 and floored if Hingis loses this one.

Havok
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:47 AM
Martina doesn't rely on her opponent hitting unforced errors, but rather FORCED errors. There's a massive difference there. Martina forces errors out of her opponents with her variety of shots and her consistency and her ability to drag her opponents around the court like a ragdoll, not that her opponents just hit errors after their first few wacks at the ball.

And Dementieva isn't all that consistent either.:o

Lulu.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:53 AM
Lena must beat Hingis so she can take Ivanovic out

Ryan
Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:19 AM
Bump :)