PDA

View Full Version : Ai dumps Dani via press conference on Thursday after her mum talks too much on Wed.

spiceboy
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:41 AM
:help:

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/sports/20070202TDY20003.htm

The Yomiuri Shimbun

WANTED: Female doubles partner. Expert level. Serious only need apply.

Ai Sugiyama confirmed Thursday she was looking for a new doubles partner to replace Daniela Hantuchova, with whom she has played regularly since May 2006.

Sugiyama and Hantuchova have won two Sony Ericsson WTA Tour titles since their permanent pairing--three overall--and reached the final at the French Open.

But the Japanese has been discouraged by recent outings--capped by a stunning first-round loss to Serbian Jelena Jankovic and American Bethanie Mattek 7-6 (7-5), 6-3 on Tuesday at the Toray Pan Pacific Open.

"I haven't told her but since the U.S. Open, we've played good doubles but didn't make a really great success together," Sugiyama said. "Of course we are really good friends, but sometimes it's not working out and I'd like to look for something else."

Sugiyama's mother and coach, Fusako, told the Japanese media of the impending breakup Wednesday. There were also reports that Sugiyama felt Hantuchova's focus on singles resulted in a lack of commitment to doubles.

The 31-year-old has distinguished herself as a top doubles player with four Grand Slam titles. She reached the world No. 1 ranking in October 2000. She has 33 career doubles titles to her credit, including the 2000 U.S. Open crown with France's Julie Halard-Decugis and the 2003 French Open and Wimbledon titles with Belgium's Kim Clijsters.

Sugiyama also won the U.S. Open mixed doubles title in 1999 with India's Mahesh Bhupati.

--Ken Marantz
(Feb. 2, 2007)

eck
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:46 AM
:eek:

CORIA01
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:46 AM
So who will be her future partner? Predict?
I think that it will be a chinese girl like NA Li

UncleZeke
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:50 AM
For some reason, Dani and Ai didn't get the results I thought they would.

ZListCelebrity
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:50 AM
I want Dani & Tati

DOUBLEFIST
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:51 AM

That would be pretty impressive, and I imagine historical. But it's hard to imagine the Chinese government going for it considering how hard they're prepping their doubles teams for the olympics.

mandy7
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:52 AM
Dani and Dina should get back together.

And AI! There are different and better ways to deliver a message.

Brett.
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:56 AM
No more "Hantuyama" :(

disco_rage
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:02 AM
I'd like to see Ai play with Meghann! Think they would be a great team!

UncleZeke
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:03 AM
no more " of course we are really good friends" , either, I'm guessing.

Jeff
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:06 AM
I think Kim and Ai made a good team, although I know that will never happen again.

ewbangkok
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:23 AM
I think maybe Coriaru probably good for Ai....or maybe some jap girls....or Stubb

Slumpsova
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:24 AM
i thought they had a great success :confused:

Princeza
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:27 AM
:shout: Ai

The Kaz
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:37 AM
I hope she teams up with Lena L or Maria Kirilenko

martinafan
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:47 AM
Molik and Sugiyama would make a good team IMO

IceSkaTennisFan
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:49 AM
Venus and Ai? Williyama? :lol:

UncleZeke
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:54 AM
Going to be interesting, who Ai picks.

Grohl
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:01 AM
not the way to do that!

ChampLindsay
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:02 AM
oh no...... :sad: :sad:

it was such an amazing team... i like both so much... and now... all splits???:(

Foot's Fingers
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:11 AM
Fianlly!!! :woohoo:

Thnks God you send some brains to Ai

pls find somebody better, Ai !!!

LUXXXAS
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:14 AM
:bowdown: great decision Ai :hug: Daniela is really hopeless doubles player and cares only about her own interests... :rolleyes:

Nicky2002
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:15 AM

:yeah:

Beny
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:15 AM
I think Kirilenko or Shaughnessy... but I`m curious to see whom Ai will choose :)

Orion
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:19 AM
She needs big server with good groundies and ability at the net. I'd say Stosur would be her best bet, but no way will she break up the Raymond-Stosur pairing. The key is for it to be a pretty good singles player who doesn't really have designs or skills to get to the top 10/20. Looking at the top 50, I'd go with Daniliidou or Shaughnessy.

And good for her, let Hantuchova's awful singles career take precedence. Good lord I'm tired of that girl.

Orion
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:20 AM
Side note, Ai has always struck me as the kind of player who could conceivably go on to be a very good coach.

*Jean*
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:22 AM
I'd like to see Ai play with Meghann! Think they would be a great team!

Definitly! And ALG isn't very involved in doubles too, so Ai+Meg would be awesome!

spiceboy
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:25 AM
Suginessy :lol:

vesanto
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:27 AM
Well, not very polite, if you ask me...

I really don't get all the criticism Hantuchova gets in this forum...ok, she might not be the best player in the world but she is not saying it either.

RND
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:27 AM
Molyama sounds good. :)

Darth Vaida
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:30 AM
I want Dani & Tati

that would be the ultimate choketeam :haha:

nah i would like that, but they won't have good results i think

Darth Vaida
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:32 AM
chakvetadze and vesnina split up and decide after tokyo if they will play doubles again together (not sure cause vesnina have good results now with likhovtseva)

maybe chaky can double with daniela

Darth Vaida
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:34 AM
:bowdown: great decision Ai :hug: Daniela is really hopeless doubles player and cares only about her own interests... :rolleyes:

never read so much crap in one post

Orion
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:41 AM
I really don't get all the criticism Hantuchova gets in this forum...ok, she might not be the best player in the world but she is not saying it either.

She gets far too much attention for someone who hasn't really done all that much, tennis wise. She's won one singles title...and it was almost 5 years ago. I know, I know, looks are important in women's sports, but she wasn't even attractive for a few years (remember the skeleton pictures) and still she had fans saying she's the best thing since sliced bread. With Williams fans, it was okay to see them delusional, because who's to say it's a delusion when they've already proven capable of winning anything? With Hantuchova, (some of) her fans seem to think she'll inherit the number one ranking any day now, but she hasn't shown herself capable of winning more than two or three matches in a row consistently since 2001/2002. Meanwhile, players like Schnyder and Petrova get made fun of simply because they can and do put together 2-3 wins in a row, week in, week out. How's that for double standards?

Darth Vaida
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:54 AM
She gets far too much attention for someone who hasn't really done all that much, tennis wise. She's won one singles title...and it was almost 5 years ago. I know, I know, looks are important in women's sports, but she wasn't even attractive for a few years (remember the skeleton pictures) and still she had fans saying she's the best thing since sliced bread. With Williams fans, it was okay to see them delusional, because who's to say it's a delusion when they've already proven capable of winning anything? With Hantuchova, (some of) her fans seem to think she'll inherit the number one ranking any day now, but she hasn't shown herself capable of winning more than two or three matches in a row consistently since 2001/2002. Meanwhile, players like Schnyder and Petrova get made fun of simply because they can and do put together 2-3 wins in a row, week in, week out. How's that for double standards?

*cough* 'jealous' *cough*

AaronJoyB
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:07 AM
Schiavone or Vinci for AI

tobi
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:12 AM
Great decision from Ai :)

Hachiko
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:16 AM
Hantuchova/Kirilenko please.

ctan88
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:24 AM
Hingis or Molik would be great Sugiyama IMO

Libertango
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:33 AM
They always under-performed IMO, on paper these two should have been amazing together, but it never quite happened IMO.

Bring Julie Halard back! :D

Farina Elia Fan
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:33 AM
great decision imo for Ai :worship:

Farina Elia Fan
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:34 AM
Well, not very polite, if you ask me...

Its because her fans think she is :wavey:

Farina Elia Fan
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:35 AM

of what :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

sugimomo
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:35 AM
im a bit surprised but ai needs a partner who is dedicated to doubles.

Josh.
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:45 AM
omg dani :hug:

ai :mad: :fiery:

thetennisgirl
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:48 AM
getting dumped in public...ouch...probably a good decision since she gonna be banking on her doubles success from now on..she should hold auditions!!

Hashim.
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:00 PM

austennis
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:03 PM
Not good Ai.. dosnt show you to be a nice person..

Veritas
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:06 PM
I'm a bit surprised. When I saw Ai and Dani play against Mirza and Garrigues at the AO, they seemed pretty friendly with each other. Of course, Ai was the better doubles player because she was willing to attack the net and take more risks (although Dani was hitting most of the balls because the others were content to have baseline rallies with her :lol: ). But at the same time, Ai made a lot of mistakes when they were 5-0 up in the first set, mostly because she was rushed and not thinking over her tennis carefully enough.

IMO, Dani is a good doubles player and they've had success, but I guess with Ai, she wants GS success, the no.1 ranking and qualifying comfortably for the YEC. So far, the "Hantuyama" combination has failed to deliver on all three.

Seriously, I don't think Dani will fret over this. She's a more capable singles player than Ai and I think she knows that, which is why she's probably more content to concentrate on her own career. Ai might have the experience, but she has little variety plus she's so short. IMO, Ai's being more serious about her doubles because she needs it, whereas it isn't as important for Dani.

For all I know, I don't think Ai will ever pair with someone who doesn't have white skin :help:

UncleZeke
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:08 PM
Wasn't handled very discreetly.

Sharapova's_Boy
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:08 PM

MisterMan
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:13 PM
Ai must have seen Dani lose to Vinci !!

piercerocks
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:16 PM
that was kinda mean.

Orion
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:19 PM
For all I know, I don't think Ai will ever pair with someone who doesn't have white skin :help:

That's not really it. She likes to play with taller girls who have bigger serves and are more capable of playing baseline than she. The Asian girls don't really fit that description (particularly the serve part) and she isn't going to go around in some so-so partnership just because some people want her to play in an all-Asian pairing.

Veritas
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:19 PM
In Ai's defense, I guess she had no choice but to spill the beans since her mum couldn't keep her flap shut :rolleyes:

Darth Vaida
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:23 PM
Its because her fans think she is :wavey:

since when have fans to think their player is bad ...oh wait , farina elia fan , now i get it , who remember her:haha:

Orion
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:28 PM
It's a contrast of characters and styles, that's for sure: Daniela peaked at 19, Ai peaked at 30. hmmm...

Mauresmo Fan
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:29 PM
its about time ai dumped her,now ai find sum one decent to play with

Veritas
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:36 PM
That's not really it. She likes to play with taller girls who have bigger serves and are more capable of playing baseline than she. The Asian girls don't really fit that description (particularly the serve part) and she isn't going to go around in some so-so partnership just because some people want her to play in an all-Asian pairing.

Maybe, but I still get the impression Ai prefers associating with white people. The serve may be a key criteria, but I won't be surprised if she had to choose between a tall Asian girl and a short white girl, she'd pair with the latter :tape:

papru
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:38 PM
Ai should play with Domachowska... after the very first match and tournament she would beg Dani on her knees to play with her again.

Ai :o :tape: :help:

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:44 PM
Hingis wanted to play with Daniela.. so i hope she does :)

Kim's_fan_4ever
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:44 PM
Weird :shrug:

crazillo
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:46 PM
It's strange that someone as nice as Ai dumps Hantuchova in public, but we don't know the circumstances...

I would like her to partner up with Petrova, but I don't think this will work. She tried to play with Likhovtseva again, but this wasn't very sueccesful. Actually I never got why she and Huber split up... ALG and Meghann won't splt up IMO.

What about Husarova/Sugiyama??

ChampLindsay
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:47 PM

oh yeah that would be a nice team....:worship: :worship: :worship:

Darth Vaida
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:57 PM

i see this every time again and again

but am i the only who realise that hingis only played two doubles tournaments in 13 months ?

i don't think she is interest anymore...
maybe before she came back but i guess she realised it's to much...

Veritas
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:58 PM
I don't get where all the "Ai = nice" is coming from :confused: So she's made polite comments before ... seriously, is that all it takes for people to judge what kind of person she is?

I like Ai ... sort of ... but I've seen other instances (up front) where she isn't exactly the sweet wholesome minority many seem to take her for.

She's polite and has enough sense to not cause any controversy, but other than that, I don't think it's enough to qualify her as this super nice ethnic girl playing the supporting role.

Ai = human. I'm actually amused at how many people here are condeming Ai for not being the "nice" girl they think she's supposed to be. I didn't see a similar outcry when Dementieva kept cancelling out her doubles matches with Ai at crucial moments, yet people still love her blond hair and blue eyes :shrug:

MLF
Feb 2nd, 2007, 01:03 PM
Rennae Stubbs doesn't have a partner at the moment, though she's having good results this week with Vania King.

FERLKE
Feb 2nd, 2007, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Orion
:worship:

Ellery
Feb 2nd, 2007, 02:08 PM
Moliyama sounds good.

Tenis Srbija
Feb 2nd, 2007, 02:08 PM
I like that Ai is "dumping" Daniela... I hope she can now win one of GS's... ind doubles ofcourse ;)

C'mon Ai :bounce:

V.Melb
Feb 2nd, 2007, 02:13 PM
This is a good move by Sugiyama.

Daniela is a good doubles player, but she is just way too random and focused more on singles.
Sugiyama needs to find a powerful player, thats for sure, she needs a big hitting baseliner that can handle it from the baseline whilst she intercepts at the net. I would think Petrova would be a perfect choice, but Nadia ia taken by Meghan. hmmm.... I dunno.
Ana Ivanovic would be good, she has all the pace of shot, but her movement and anticipation on a doubles court might be suspect.

It will be interesting to see who she picks.

Farina Elia Fan
Feb 2nd, 2007, 02:28 PM
since when have fans to think their player is bad ...oh wait , farina elia fan , now i get it , who remember her:haha:

I have said it many times but Hantuchova is a very good all-rounder who can play every shot well but doesnt do anything amazingly!

Her fans seem to think she is capable of top 5 again but that isnt realistic and can (not all fans and not all the time) be disrespectful e.g Eastbourne last year when she lost to Likhovtseva a fantastic grass court player.

But maybe this is a little too much for you to take in :wavey:

silverwhite
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:09 PM
Some people obviously didn't read the first post properly. Ai had to explain because her mum told the press first. :rolleyes:

canoe.
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:14 PM
There were also reports that Sugiyama felt Hantuchova's focus on singles resulted in a lack of commitment to doubles.To look at, and watch play, you wouldn't think hantuchova was focused on anything tennis!

The Pro
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:24 PM
I don't get where all the "Ai = nice" is coming from :confused: So she's made polite comments before ... seriously, is that all it takes for people to judge what kind of person she is?

I like Ai ... sort of ... but I've seen other instances (up front) where she isn't exactly the sweet wholesome minority many seem to take her for.

She's polite and has enough sense to not cause any controversy, but other than that, I don't think it's enough to qualify her as this super nice ethnic girl playing the supporting role.

Ai = human. I'm actually amused at how many people here are condeming Ai for not being the "nice" girl they think she's supposed to be. I didn't see a similar outcry when Dementieva kept cancelling out her doubles matches with Ai at crucial moments, yet people still love her blond hair and blue eyes :shrug:

you're right you know

also i bad repped u cos i read your post wrong

please disregard it:p

dutchsf
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:26 PM
Wow and this girl was pissed at Kim for dumping her in doubles.
Now she does it herself, Ai shows her true colors and they are not pretty

MistyGrey
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:58 PM
Probably a good move, but not the right way to do it.

sfselesfan
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:10 PM
http://aschaffenburg.gay-web.de/vip/gfx/rupaul_02.jpg

Oh...the Drama!

SF

charmedRic
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:23 PM
wow.

Mina Vagante
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:28 PM
step in Miss.Williams

MisterMan
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:59 PM
This will do wonders for Daniela's confidence.
Ai-freaking-Sugiyama doesn't think she's good enough either.

Sonja
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:21 PM
I'd like to see her play with Bovina!

-sugi-
Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:25 PM
Ai does = nice, ok, she is never controversial but she is always so sweet with her fans and always really well mannered off court from what I see.

I remember a diary entry from Ai and she felt as though they didn't really gel together their styles and Ai had to keep trying to cover Dani at the net.

Ai may play a bit more with Ayu Morita I heard but that of course won't be full time as Ayu is only 16 :hug: I would like Ai with Husarova, Petrova or Ivanovic personally, but as long as Ai is happy, I'm happy :hug:

pcrtennis
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:22 PM
I'm a bit surprised. When I saw Ai and Dani play against Mirza and Garrigues at the AO, they seemed pretty friendly with each other. Of course, Ai was the better doubles player because she was willing to attack the net and take more risks (although Dani was hitting most of the balls because the others were content to have baseline rallies with her :lol: ). But at the same time, Ai made a lot of mistakes when they were 5-0 up in the first set, mostly because she was rushed and not thinking over her tennis carefully enough.

IMO, Dani is a good doubles player and they've had success, but I guess with Ai, she wants GS success, the no.1 ranking and qualifying comfortably for the YEC. So far, the "Hantuyama" combination has failed to deliver on all three.

Seriously, I don't think Dani will fret over this. She's a more capable singles player than Ai and I think she knows that, which is why she's probably more content to concentrate on her own career. Ai might have the experience, but she has little variety plus she's so short. IMO, Ai's being more serious about her doubles because she needs it, whereas it isn't as important for Dani.

There are so many things wrong with this post I don't even know where to start.

Ai si a nice person, you can't not be nice and win the sportsmanship award like she did a few years back. The commentators always talk about how well liked she is on tour.

Plus, she did this because her mom already said something...please read carefully...

As for the last comment about her partner's skin color. I don't even know what to make of that...:rolleyes:

pcrtennis
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:24 PM
Wow and this girl was pissed at Kim for dumping her in doubles.
Now she does it herself, Ai shows her true colors and they are not pretty

Who the fuck do you think you are to determine her "true colors?" Please read the article more carefully, and not just the boldened remarks.:rolleyes: She wasn't mad at Kim for not playing doubles anymore...she was dissappointed about Kim dropping out of the doubles so late in the tournament that year at the USO and that was from her mom...NOT HER. They are still really good friends and she talks about that.

You don't know what's going on...so don't pass this kind of judgement.:help:

AJZ.
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:25 PM
I don't get where all the Sugicriticism is coming from to be honest... Her mom spilled the beans, so she had to back it up with a statement.

And she wasn't really mean... I mean, she was honest! Hantuyama wasn't really a good doubles team; they won three titles in two years, and choked a ton in matches, so it might be a good idea for them to split up. Dani can focus on singles more...

That being said, it still saddens me they're splitting up :sad: because I've cheered them on for so long.

I hope Ai finds success with another partner :)

(But honestly, she doesn't deserve the criticism here... She's polite, kind to her fans, and she's human, like someone else said...)

:inlove:
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:30 PM
Ai :help: Should have told Dani before you told the whole world. :rolleyes: :sad:

jazar
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:39 PM
harsh. i reckon she will go for someone who is pretty expericienced at doubles.

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:55 PM
It just isn't a great doubles partnership. I'll be happy when Sugiyama retires so Hantuchova can find the right doubles partner for her.

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=246214&highlight=Hantuchova+Sugiyama

What can I say. This was not a good matchup for years.
Hantuchova could have bailed out at any time but she didn't and now Ai did what she thought she had to do.

I think they'll both find a better partner for each other.

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:58 PM
So who will be her future partner? Predict?

I hear that Rennae Stubbs and Corina Morariu are looking for new partners ;) AI will definetly not have to worry about them concentrating on there singles career:tape:

GoClijsters
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:51 PM
I'd like to see Ai play with Ana-Lena. I have no idea why, it's just something that I've thought about and it would be nice, no? I think they would play great together.

sugifan
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:11 PM
everobody seems to be shocked but honestly i don't think daniela learnt about ai's decision on tv ! she knew about it and they still are good friends , she probably wants to focus more on her single career !

the media thing was a way for ai to look for a new partner and she had to repair her mom damages i guess ! i would blame her mom and not ai !!

about her new partner i think Li Na could be great !!

ex hopman
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:18 PM
well, ai and dani have discussed splitting a few times even last year, but they talked and decided to stick together for a while to see how it goes. and now for ai who are considering retirement next year or so... she wants to achieve the doubles grandslam + success in olympics.

and this article makes it sounds this situation kinda worse than the real. "dumping" sounds bad... well, it sounsd bad...but dani knew it was coming sooner or later anyway cuz she wants to focus on more singles.

i'm sure dani and ai are going to be still friends... it's more like a business talk here... (kim and ai are great friends still, they practice together often).

ai wants to play the beijing next year... this is not an official info....but she might look for a japanese girl to practice/gain more experiences for the olympics.

Pengwin
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:04 PM
I really hope she partners Li Na!

(no offence but Peng is seriously holding her back on the doubles court)

martinafan
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:04 PM
Molik or Stubbs or Morariu would be good.....i'd prefer Molik

Sonja
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:54 PM
I agree that she's going to need someone with a strong serve and preferably a taller player. Alicia, Rennae, Elena B - how about Sveta? She hasn't really permanently partnered with someone has she?

Corina is great but does she have the strength Ai needs?

pcrtennis
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:18 AM
Petrova is a good option! I wish Shino was still around...they were a good team.

Veritas
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:55 AM
Ai si a nice person, you can't not be nice and win the sportsmanship award like she did a few years back. The commentators always talk about how well liked she is on tour.

I personally don't think these "sportsmanship" awards are the best indication of what a person is.

It shows the person to be polite and courteous, but that's about it. Again, I like Ai, but I don't think it's fair just because she has this "nice" image thrown all over her, she has to be sweet 24/7.

She's human and is prone to doing dumb things. Get over it :shrug:

Plus, she did this because her mom already said something...please read carefully...

Did you read post #55? :rolleyes:

Oh, the irony :lol:

As for the last comment about her partner's skin color. I don't even know what to make of that...:rolleyes:

From my observations, Ai shows a lot of instances to be whitewashed, seeing as she's paired with more white girls than Asian ones in the past decade.

I'll admit though. If Ai pairs up with a big-serving Asian like Na or Peng, I'll retract my statements :tape:

Sund7101
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:58 AM
Ai should play with Martina, I think they'd have a lot of fun together. They're always having fun on the court and they would make a great team. Really smart doubles players too. I'm hoping for Hiniyama. :)

martinafan
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:11 AM
Ai should play with Martina, I think they'd have a lot of fun together. They're always having fun on the court and they would make a great team. Really smart doubles players too. I'm hoping for Hiniyama. :)

I would LOVE this team too.....just not sure how willing martina is to commit to doubles??!?!?!?!?!?!

Goai
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:26 AM
Why did I even bother reading this thread. There's so much rubbish written.

AJZ.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:14 AM
I personally don't think these "sportsmanship" awards are the best indication of what a person is.

It shows the person to be polite and courteous, but that's about it. Again, I like Ai, but I don't think it's fair just because she has this "nice" image thrown all over her, she has to be sweet 24/7.

:

She can do dumb things, but I disagree that she is just polite and curteous. She's quite friendly if you see her at tournaments, she says hi to a lot of the other players. That being said, yes, no one is perfect and I'm sure she slips too... :p

SelesFan70
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:34 AM
Fianlly!!! :woohoo:

Thnks God you send some brains to Ai

pls find somebody better, Ai !!!

*Paging Martina Hingis* :D

Veritas
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:37 AM
She can do dumb things, but I disagree that she is just polite and curteous. She's quite friendly if you see her at tournaments, she says hi to a lot of the other players. That being said, yes, no one is perfect and I'm sure she slips too... :p

I agree. What I said about Ai is just from my own observations and doesn't necessarily mean it's an entirely accurate one.

What I don't like is when people essentialise Ai as a one-dimensional person. She's a human being, not an exotic doll.

AJZ.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:40 AM
I agree. What I said about Ai is just from my own observations and doesn't necessarily mean it's an entirely accurate one.

What I don't like is when people essentialise Ai as a one-dimensional person. She's a human being, not an exotic doll.

lmao, but we're at WTAWorld
Kim is nice, Sharapova thinks she's all it, Williams sisters don't like the game :lol:
We're all about one-dimensional people! :lol:

I never knew a thread about doubles woukd be so big :eek:

(Disclaimer: I don't actually believe anything I just said about players :p)

ico4498
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:53 AM
"I haven't told her"

... coldblooded.

AJZ.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:07 AM
"I haven't told her"

... coldblooded.

read the rest of the sentence ^_^;

iPatty
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:07 AM

:worship:

of hantuchova? :spit:

pcrtennis
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:11 AM

Did you read post #55? :rolleyes:

Oh, the irony :lol:

From my observations, Ai shows a lot of instances to be whitewashed, seeing as she's paired with more white girls than Asian ones in the past decade.

I'll admit though. If Ai pairs up with a big-serving Asian like Na or Peng, I'll retract my statements :tape:

I trust former players like Mary-Joe Fernandez and Pam Shriver, Tracy Austin, Lindsay Davenport and others who have said in the past that she's one of nicest people on tour. You know nothing.

You have to be nice 24/7 to be considered a nice person? Interesting...:lol:

Who the hell cares who she plays doubles with? You don't criticise black players for playing with white players...why does this seem strange to you...:rolleyes:

ico4498
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:57 AM
read the rest of the sentence ^_^;

i did, its still coldblooded to announce the of the end of a partnership to the press before telling your partner.

AJZ.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:59 AM
i did, its still coldblooded to announce the of the end of a partnership to the press before telling your partner.

But she was saying that she didn't tell her that she didn't feel they were playing well, no?
I agree it's coldblooded but I don't think it was intentional on Ai's part... but whatever, I'm not going to defend this anymore :p

Apoleb
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:08 AM
:haha: at hantuchova. She's such a tennis failure that even Sugiyama doesn't want to play with her.

Veritas
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:28 AM
I trust former players like Mary-Joe Fernandez and Pam Shriver, Tracy Austin, Lindsay Davenport and others who have said in the past that she's one of nicest people on tour. You know nothing.

I only say what I've observed, and I did say that it might not be 100% right :shrug:

You have to be nice 24/7 to be considered a nice person? Interesting...:lol:

I never said Ai has to be "nice" all the time to be considered as such. What I did say was that many expect her to be and when she isn't, they're disappointed because they don't realise she's human.

Was that bit so hard to understand? :tape:

Who the hell cares who she plays doubles with? You don't criticise black players for playing with white players...why does this seem strange to you...:rolleyes:

"Strange"? :confused:

I did say Ai was more prone to playing with white tennis players. However, I never said that was "strange" :rolleyes:

Dawn Marie
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:43 AM
Ai and Hingis

Ai and Kirilenko

Ai and Svetlana

Ai and Jankovic

Ai and Dementieva

Ai and Ivanovich

Black Mamba.
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:09 AM
Ai is grimey for handling things that way.

SeanyQ
Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:25 AM
Ai's played with Fujiwara, Asagoe, Kim, Morita & Morigami over the past year or so.
Funny, they don't look like tall white women to me! :confused: :lol:

up!
Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:56 AM
Ai and Serena!!!!

Goai
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:24 AM
Some people here need to get lives.. "coldblooded", "grimey". Now I really understand how Sharapova, Serena fans feel. Ha!

Lunaris
Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:41 AM

These awards are mainly given to older you can say veteran players, who dedicated their life to sport and its promotion and... well, are not supposed to win anything else until the end of their career, which doesn't mean it must be true. It doesn't indicate whether the awarded player is a goody-goody person or not. You can see it in every sport.

Farina Elia Fan
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:44 PM
Would there be such a reaction if it wasnt hantuchova :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :p :p :p :p

Beny
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:59 PM
Ai and Dementieva

No:( ..no more SemiDemeniyama

Halardfan
Feb 6th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Bring Julie Halard back! :D

I second that emotion!:D