PDA

View Full Version : Officially confirmed Venus Williams is ready for WTA Antwerp!

santhuruu
Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:40 AM
Article from the website of WTA Antwerp!

Tournament Director of The Proximus Diamond Games contacted with Carlos, the manager of Venus, about the fact how Venus was doing and if she would definetely come to Antwerp yesterday. Carlos said that Venus was practicing right on the schedule and that she is fully dedicated to her training and that she wants to try again to get that Diamond Racket, which she fell in love with!

Well we have the Green Light Venus fans, so drive through with your car and encourage Venus in Antwerp!:bounce:

Ben.
Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:49 AM
great to hear that she's been training very hard & really wants to come to Antwerp to make her statement clear on winning that diamond racquet :) can't wait to see her play again.

cometz9
Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:53 AM
Great news :woohoo: Go Venus :hearts:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:00 AM
Not to sound negative, but that doesn't sound like a green light to me. Nothing is confirmed according to what you've said. Glad that she is indeed practicing though, can't wait to have her back :hug:

Viktymise
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:13 AM
:eek: im starting to get excited :banana:

CORIA01
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:16 AM
No it's not her racquet but it will be Kim Clijsters one!!!

Brαm
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:30 AM
No it's not her racquet but it will be Kim Clijsters one!!!
Kim can't take the racquet home cause she's only won the tournament once...

Mauresmo has three chances left to take it home.
If Venus wants to win the racquet, she has to win this year and next year! :eek:

MrSerenaWilliams
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:35 AM
:bounce: Can't WAIT to see her in Antwerp :hearts: with some HOT Ralph Lauren designs :yeah:

Andy.
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:53 AM
:bounce: Can't WAIT to see her in Antwerp :hearts: with some HOT Ralph Lauren designs :yeah:
Yeah Im excited to see her play again and hopefully wearing RLP :D

Slumpsova
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:26 AM
when was the last time Venus & Serena won the title in the same week? :confused:

UncleZeke
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:28 AM
hope she plays.

samn
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:52 AM
when was the last time Venus & Serena won the title in the same week? :confused:

1999. Serena won her first WTA singles title by beating Mauresmo in the final of the Open Gaz de France on the same day (in a different timezone, of course) that Venus defended her title in Oklahoma City.

X|Fergie
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:00 AM
Great news for WTA Antwerp

Mr.Kardashian
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:12 AM
gr8 news that venus will be back in action

ChandaRubinFan22
Feb 2nd, 2007, 09:34 AM
http://www.sport.be/proximusdiamondgames/inbeeld/2/images/foto9.jpg

go venus :cool:

xr6turbo
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:16 AM
Yeah Im excited to see her play again and hopefully wearing RLP :D
Can someone explain this Ralph Lauren thing? Did she say she was going to wear it or something?

TomTennis
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:17 AM
Kim can't take the racquet home cause she's only won the tournament once...

Mauresmo has three chances left to take it home.
If Venus wants to win the racquet, she has to win this year and next year! :eek:

Surely, Venus would have to win it again THREE more times, not twice......

This is Hypothetically speaking....

If Venus won in 2007 and 2008, the 5 year span would only stretch back to 2004, where Venus didnt win the title, so she would have to win 07 08 and 09 to take it home.

Venus...that racket BELONGS to you, not Mauresmo! :worship: Go and claim it!! :drool: :hearts: :worship:

supergrunt
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:19 AM
Come On Venus :D :aparty: !!!!

Andy.
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:27 AM
Can someone explain this Ralph Lauren thing? Did she say she was going to wear it or something?
It was mentioned in the Pre Australian Open what the pros will be wearing thread someone said that she would be wearing it but its unofficial news.

serena_anna
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:02 AM
great news...D:D:D venusssss :worship: :worship:

new-york
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:02 PM
:hearts: :banana: :woohoo:

Il Primo!
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:22 PM
I still remember the 06 Miami episode. She confirmed and then withdrew when the draw was already out...

Fingers crossed

Geertvg
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:29 PM
Good for Antwerp!! I hope the tournament won't die out after Kim retired :(

Highlandman
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:30 PM
GREAT NEWS!!! :hearts: :hearts:

I'm so happy that she comes back to the tour :hug: :angel: :worship: - one of the best news in 2007 :hearts:

trufanjay
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:35 PM
Can't Wait!!!

Uranus
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:37 PM
I hope she comes :)

Sylwiiia
Feb 2nd, 2007, 02:01 PM
Can't wait too see my Queen on court again, but I want her to be 100% sure about her wrist.

venus_rulez
Feb 2nd, 2007, 02:22 PM
yeah hopefully this means she really is going. it'd be great to see her back on a court.

Shaboinka84
Feb 2nd, 2007, 02:25 PM
Let's also hope that she remains heathly throughout the tournament. She played only two matches in Linz and that's where her wrist flared up again. Let's not expect her to do what Serena did which was win the title just by being there. Serena did lose in her first tourney to Bammer. Venus needs matches. She should play Antwerp and Dubai with Serena. I also hope that she changed rackets like Serena did. It doesn't have to be the same as Serena but in the same ballpark. And for goodness sake SOMEONE GIVE HER A CLOTHING SPONSOR!!! LOL

Cam'ron Giles
Feb 2nd, 2007, 02:29 PM
I reported last year (at the same time I reported that A top player is pregnant) that Ralph was interested in dressing Venus...I'm not sure it's a done deal but I'm pretty sure it will happen. Ralph is a big fan and loves her body type...:D

winone23
Feb 2nd, 2007, 02:43 PM
I hope she plays I can't wait. I hope she gets at least four events in before she has to defend the few points. I want her back in the top ten, where she belongs.

~Eclipsed~
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:57 PM
YaY i'm excited!

maddogz48
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:11 PM
Let's also hope that she remains heathly throughout the tournament. She played only two matches in Linz and that's where her wrist flared up again. Let's not expect her to do what Serena did which was win the title just by being there. Serena did lose in her first tourney to Bammer. Venus needs matches. She should play Antwerp and Dubai with Serena. I also hope that she changed rackets like Serena did. It doesn't have to be the same as Serena but in the same ballpark. And for goodness sake SOMEONE GIVE HER A CLOTHING SPONSOR!!! LOL

After Antwerp Venus is scheduled to play the Memphis tournament the following week.

SoClose
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:20 PM
:bounce: :woohoo:

The Dawntreader
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:24 PM
Oh go VENUS!!!:bounce: :worship:

Will be so great to see her back:D :hearts:

Helen Lawson
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:26 PM
Forget her, I want Amelie to win that racquet!

plantman
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:30 PM

Me too!:bounce: :bounce:

tae04
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:39 PM
Mmm we'll see if she shows up. I doubt she'd win 3 yrs in a row so.

I love Polo, I hope she does have a Ralph Lauren outfit!

Vlover
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:58 PM
I reported last year (at the same time I reported that A top player is pregnant) that Ralph was interested in dressing Venus...I'm not sure it's a done deal but I'm pretty sure it will happen. Ralph is a big fan and loves her body type...:D

Anything but Reebok recycle will be great. I want her only to play if she is 100% healed.

winone23
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:05 PM
Anything but Reebok recycle will be great. I want her only to play if she is 100% healed.

Heck yeah Reebok does not deserve the free publicity. I can't stand reebok.

The Daviator
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:12 PM
Great to have Venus back :yeah:

-Makiri-
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:16 PM
good news :yeah:

Paneru
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:44 PM

Can't always get what you want ma'. :kiss:

Go Venus! :hearts:

Denise4925
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:51 PM
I hope Vee can win this tourney or at least make a good showing. However, I think we'll be seeing recycled Reebok again. Just my feeling.

Drake1980
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:53 PM
sweet!

eugreene2
Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:14 PM
Everybody is cheering in this thread but it didn't really confirm anything. Not one sentence says Venus is playing Antwerp. It sounds more like she's practicing in hopes of playing. READ PEOPLE READ!!! LOL

junlee_vee
Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:15 PM
Sweet! I hope it happens!! I've been have Venus withdrawals!!

Andy.
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:12 PM
THanks for the update :worship: :D

In The Zone
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:18 PM
Venus in Antwerp, Serena in Bangalore. Venus in Memphis, Serena in Dubai. They sound committed since they can't be with one another. I want them both to win titles the same week! :]! Please!

Paneru
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:15 PM
Everybody is cheering in this thread but it didn't really confirm anything. Not one sentence says Venus is playing Antwerp. It sounds more like she's practicing in hopes of playing. READ PEOPLE READ!!! LOL

Stop being the pessemist all the time! :lol:

Didn't you learn a thing from Serena making
you eat that good ol' crow? ;)

Venus Williams' manager has confirmed that the American player is ready for a comeback, starting at the Proximus Diamond Games. Kim Clijsters will also be joining the field.

Organising director Bob Verbeeck was in contact Venus Williams' manager on Thursday and he confirmed that the two times title holder of the Proximus Diamond Games is training very hard and is on track to try and win the diamond racket.

Williams, who went down in the WTA ranking because of injuries, was able to join the field of players by means of a wildcard. Should one player who is ranked higher still cancel, that place can be taken by Williams and then Verbeeck can contact another player for a 'gold/silver exempt wildcard'.

On Wednesday, Kim Clijsters canceled her participation in the Paris WTA tournament in order to keep a low profile next week. In two weeks time, she definitely will be present in Antwerp. Besides Williams and Clijsters quite some other top players make up the field: Amélie Mauresmo, Nadia Petrova, Elena Dementieva, Patty Schnyder and Dinara Safina.

FOUR BELGIAN WILDCARDS FOR QUALIFICATIONS

Kirsten Flipkens and Caroline Maes received a wildcard for the main draw, but four more Belgians line up for the qualifying rounds: Yanina Wickmayer, Debbrich Feys, Davina Lobbinger and Aude Vermoezen. Should they want to make it into the main draw they will have to survive three qualifying rounds. Qualifications start on Saturday 10 February. The main draw kicks off on Monday 12 February.

It "sounds" like Mr.Verbeeck is staying in close
contact with Venus' people. Besides, this is the
2nd confirmation since the initial news broke in
late december.

Carlos re-confirmed Venus is playing a day after
the OZ Open began and now, after talking with
Venus' people yet again yesterday, he got yet
another confirmation.

i.e. Let the pessimism go. :wavey:

eugreene2
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:18 PM
Paneru - it's not pessimism, it's the history of the thing.

Paneru
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:20 PM
Paneru - it's not pessimism, it's the history of the thing.

Like the Serena talk from
you before the OZ Open? :cool:

Yeah, whatever. :yeah:

Maybe their is this constant conformation and re-conformation
by Venus' camp and the tournament director for folks such as yourself. :)

volta
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:24 PM
well alrite now Vee go on with urbad self :banana: :hearts: :worship: can't wait to see her on court (with no RBK this time :o)

eugreene2
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:47 PM
Like the Serena talk from
you before the OZ Open? :cool:

Yeah, whatever. :yeah:

Maybe their is this constant conformation and re-conformation
by Venus' camp and the tournament director for folks such as yourself. :)

Paneru - stop throwing the OZ open stuff in my face. I've already forgiven myself for that transgression. How dare you make me relive the pain. LOL

At any rate, glad you have faith in Vee. My point is, let's take a real good look before we jump

ico4498
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:22 PM
Vee!

sfselesfan
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:42 PM
http://www.msghelp.net/images/old_news.jpg

SF

IAM#1
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:50 PM
No actually if Venus wins it this year and next year then she will have the diamond racket because she has to win it 3 out of 5 years which leaves her 2007 and 2008!

vw.
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:57 PM
Venus!! :D :D :D

V-MAC
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:01 PM
ahem...God I am so behind :o so Venus has left Reebok and signed with Ralph Lauren now??? :confused: Anyway, I hope she plays :bounce:

sfselesfan
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:08 PM
Vee will look beautiful in Polo gear. It suits her. Sophisticated.

And she is the best "lawn" tennis player left on the tour...results wise.

SF

Cat's Pajamas
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:28 PM
That's never even been confirmed, someone said they read it somewhere but never posted an article, now everyone is assuming she'll play in Polo. :tape:

I mean don't get me wrong, I hope she does. But I still doubt it.

Anyways, Go Vee! :inlove:

new-york
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:30 PM
so the Polo thing is sure? :confused:

i hope she'll come & remain healthy. at least we know for sure she wants to.
good luck.:hearts:

venusdemilo
Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:45 PM
Can't wait. :woohoo:

MrSerenaWilliams
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:50 AM
I hope Vee can win this tourney or at least make a good showing. However, I think we'll be seeing recycled Reebok again. Just my feeling.:rolleyes: UGH, I hope not! :sad: Vee's too hot for their old stuff (which is really her old stuff :lol: ) Although if we saw color variations on the Wimbledon 2003 dress, I'd be :hearts::inlove:

Jessie181
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:25 AM
:rolleyes: UGH, I hope not! :sad: Vee's too hot for their old stuff (which is really her old stuff :lol: ) Although if we saw color variations on the Wimbledon 2003 dress, I'd be :hearts::inlove:

I hope to see Vee out playing in Antwerp on the 12th too!

And, i agree, color variations of that Wimbledon dress would be nice :hearts:

Still, i'd rather her switch to polo than wear her old stuff.

Tennisaddict
Feb 4th, 2007, 07:53 PM
I hope Venus is going to play. I miss her on the court. I hope she will join Serena in her comeback to the winners circle.

austennis
Feb 5th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Is Venus wearing Ralph Lauren now?

starin
Feb 5th, 2007, 02:54 AM
i think the poster who said that Venus was going to wear Polo also said that a top player would anounce her pregnancy. He got one right so I'm inclined to believe him about Venus and Polo.

urock34
Feb 5th, 2007, 02:56 AM
so venus is playing antwerp memphis and dubai???????????????????????? or is she skipping dubai cuz i dont think she can stand 3 weeks in a row right bak from injury

MrSerenaWilliams
Feb 5th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Venus is playing Antwerp and Memphis. Dubai's the same week as Memphis :lol: Serena's playing Dubai. :wavey:

Mr.Kardashian
Feb 5th, 2007, 05:08 AM
go vee!

SAEKeithSerena
Feb 5th, 2007, 06:08 AM
we miss you venus!

franny
Feb 5th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Omg Vee in Polo? Homegirl looks great no matter who her sponsor is. Reebok seriously should be begging her to sign with them. The loyalty that Vee has shown is unparalleled. I don't understand Reebok, how could they treat one of their own star athletes like this?

hingisGOAT
Feb 5th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Ah, Antwerp 2005 :) :hearts: :haha:

MrSerenaWilliams
Feb 5th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Ah, Wimbledon 2001 :) :hearts: :haha:

hingisGOAT
Feb 5th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Ah, Wimbledon 2001 :) :hearts: :haha:

what does wimbledon 2001 have to do with antwerp? two different countries :weirdo: reference a map before posting please :rolleyes:

Tenis Srbija
Feb 5th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Good luck to her ;)

MrSerenaWilliams
Feb 5th, 2007, 08:36 AM
what does wimbledon 2001 have to do with antwerp? two different countries :weirdo: reference a map before posting please :rolleyes:

Well since the French Open-less Hingis has yet to play in BEAUTFUL Antwerp (located in Belgium btw ;):wavey: ), I picked the next closest thing...ALTHOUGH, geographically French Open 1997 or 1999 would be closer.....:scratch:;)

jenny161185
Feb 5th, 2007, 10:07 AM
I just watched Blood diamond last night I wonder if Venus has seen it!!!!

KishG
Feb 5th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Ah, Antwerp 2005 :) :hearts: :haha:

So? Every tennis player chokes at some point in their career in a match. I mean just look at Hingis at Roland Garros 1997 and 1999 and the Australian open 2001. I'd rather choke at the final of a tier two event than a slam. ;)

fifiricci
Feb 5th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Oh, I'm sure that Venus is indeed very well prepared for Antwerp and I fear she will succeed in assigning Kim to her "museum" sooner than many of us may want :spit:

40-0
Feb 5th, 2007, 01:15 PM
If I mistake she needs to win it three times..not two.. because her last shot was last year! Stupid 05 final