PDA

View Full Version : Maria and the YIPS

Chriskip
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:53 AM
Going down the route of Kournikova, Dementieva and Coria maybe, according to the ESPN Deportes commentators.

Not much game without the serve, obviously.

switz
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:56 AM
I tend to think this more about the team realising her second serve is being hammered by her main rivals in big matches and that she needs to start doing more than just rolling it the middle of box.

switz
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:57 AM
Serena absolutely punished it - she looked helpless.

Sharapova's_Boy
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:58 AM
:retard:

Not much game without the serve? Then how did she reach the AO final and breadstick Schiavone?

ZListCelebrity
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:59 AM
If she has a few bad losses, she'll go dooownnnnn.

Ben.
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:03 AM
maria's serving isn't up to standards at the moment but however i don't think it's that serious just as long as she bags the win even if she is serving badly. why panic?

Chriskip
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:05 AM

Not much game without the serve? Then how did she reach the AO final and breadstick Schiavone?

Didnt say she didnt have any game, but its obvious her serve is the mainstay of her game. Every player has a strong point, but the best of the best can make do when they are off (which Maria has done all of 2007 so far)

I am stating what the commentators said about her serve. Stop being so retarded yourself and accept the situation for what it is. Well, even if you and her other fans dont, hopefully her team will look into it seriously, because I really think the commentators may be on to something.

Dementieva Guts
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:09 AM
Model Runway Sharapova had been playing over her head for 2 years. When only one of the "contenders" like Hingis, Dementieva, Peer or Vaidisova will stop overplayed that little Princess, first round bagels will come sooner than later. Maria worked her way to #1 just by the fact that her opponents downplayed to her "game" (so little that is).

switz
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:12 AM
She doesn't miss her second serve my ridiculous margins. The yips is not a very technical concept but it generally occurs when a player completely losing feeling of the balls eg Kournikova serving into the court before it reached the net or a golfer who can't get the ball off the ground.

Dan23
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:19 AM
Going down the route of Kournikova, Dementieva and Coria maybe, according to the ESPN Deportes commentators.

:lol: didnt know this was a comedy forum

Knizzle
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:20 AM
I'm watching the live scoreboard and I actually feel sorry for her everytime she makes a double fault. She is much better than this. She just made 5 doublefaults in ONE GAME to be broken. :unsure:

faboozadoo15
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:20 AM

no, just good enough to get to a major final whilst playing like crap...

switz
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:22 AM

Sharapova has other elements to her game but without her serve it is very difficult for her to implement because she's a player that like to play points on the front foot. Defense is not something she does so well.

bobcat
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:22 AM
She'll be okay if she can fix it soon, but if she doesn't she'll start to lose confidence in the rest of her game.

pooh14
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:24 AM
she might be in transition in changing her serve. nothing much to worry unless she is losing to low rank players

Junex
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:59 AM
Sharapova has other elements to her game but without her serve it is very difficult for her to implement because she's a player that like to play points on the front foot. Defense is not something she does so well.

true!

While it can't be denied that Maria has other weapons, her groundies, She is mainly and aggressive player. She is not that fast & agile, ala Henin, Clijsters Dementieva, that when her serve is returned with "interest", she can't do much about it defensively.

Its safe to say that her game 0depends greatly on her serve, luckily, her serve doesn't fail her as often as the other players the thread starter mentioned.

fufuqifuqishahah
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:02 AM
something is definitely getting to her mentally, but at least she is still fighting and winning matches.

SharapovaFan16
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:24 AM
athletes go through rough patches in their game... a QB losing his confidence and having a bad string of games... a basketball player losing his shooting touch... a golfer losing his swing... a baseball player going through a hitting slump... it's a part of sports so let's just relax and stop being HATERS for 2 seconds, and find something else to do with out lives geez

franny
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:27 AM
Serena absolutely punished it - she looked helpless.

But her serve was bad before Serena. In fact, it was because it was so bad that it was punished by Serena. Maria already lost confidence on it, and was serving horribly. Thus, to get it in she just spun it in and Serena spanked the return. Nothing worse when you are struggling with your serve than having a really good returner on the opposite side of the net to dash ur confidence even more.

auntie janie
Feb 2nd, 2007, 01:08 PM
athletes go through rough patches in their game... a QB losing his confidence and having a bad string of games... a basketball player losing his shooting touch... a golfer losing his swing... a baseball player going through a hitting slump... it's a part of sports so let's just relax and stop being HATERS for 2 seconds, and find something else to do with out lives geez

It probably is just a bad patch, but, like everything else that affects the game of an elite player -- injuries, romance, divorce -- it's a natural topic for discussion among tennis fans. Is everyone a "hater" who posts anything besides praise of your faves? Please.

For Maria's fans and non-fans alike it'll be interesting to watch her game in the next few months: will she get over her serving woes quickly, or will it start to get into her head? I think it'll be the first, because she's still young, she's always been a very confident person, and she's well aware that there'll be some bumps along the road -- she's already been through some bumps before this one. I think she'll face up to her serve problem as just another bump: it's the latest challenge and it's a puzzle that must be solved; it's not a disaster to freak out over.

markspot
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:43 PM
her 1st serve is very good, and her 2nd is one of the very best, perhaps the best on the tour.
And she almost never makes double faults, it is amazing with this powerful second serve that almost always lands on the service line.

It's just that she lost her serves somehow this year, it cannot be for long, can it?
As things look now, it would be better for her to take a break from the tour until Indian Wells, go home and practice.

CDGS22
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:57 PM
What she needs is a REAL coach!!!!

Mightymirza
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:59 PM
Well Sharpie never rolled her serve just in as far as i know..She always went for her 2nd serves!!(usually more than 90 mph!!)

mboyle
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:08 PM
As far as I could tell in the Oz Open, she is in the process of changing her motion to add pace and top spin. The serves she missed at the Oz universally had the traditional arc of a heavy kick second serve, and were all up the deuce tee or ad out wide. Previously, Maria hit spin second serves or slice second serves, but not so many kickers. This theory of transition is supported by the fact that, on important points, she would slice the second serve or hit it slowly to make sure it went in. That was where she used to serve. She'll get it back, probably even better. No worries...

jochem
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:16 PM

Ridiculous... how did the win two Grand Slams, YEC, reached no.1 in the world and Australian Open final?? Yes she might be off forme a bit but she was on form since US Open so being off form for some time happens to anybody... So I really don't get people who say this. They don't know tennis.

Chriskip
Mar 13th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Mmmm....

I think her team needs to address her serve. I dont think it all has to do with her supposed hamstring injury or the heat for that matter.

soul
Mar 13th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Im not a supporter of Maria but as atennis fan I wonder if she has roblems with her serve ,injury(started to hit the ball 10 days ago before the tournament) why she didnt skip the tournament and focuse to come back more stronger and with consistent serve? Do not offend Maria fans but I think this result has showed itself coming.
There is sure a problem.

missclaret
Mar 13th, 2007, 09:13 PM
sharapova will come through this blip. you dont get to no.1 in the rankings and winner of 2 grand slams otherwise. wish the doubters would lay off her, she is still only 19 and is bound to have losses. her believe isnt there at the minute but once its back, then players like zvonereva wont get a look in.

bandabou
Mar 13th, 2007, 09:28 PM
hmm...maybe a rough patch, but it ain't pretty. serve's totally gone.

Natasc
Mar 13th, 2007, 09:28 PM

Excuse me?
I'm not eveng goint to start here about Maria, just wanna say 2 things:

Dementieva has no game(technique+ability)?
Coria has no game(technique+ability)?

sorry for the question, but do you really watch tennis? :rolleyes:

Demska
Mar 13th, 2007, 09:29 PM
When Dementieva's serve is on melt down, her groundstrokes are 95% still solid, which is total opposite to masha.

DOUBLEFIST
Mar 13th, 2007, 09:30 PM
I gotta say, losses like Sharapova's let you know just how good Dementieva actually is. She'd be terrifying with a serve.

yukon145
Mar 13th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I gotta say, losses like Sharapova's let you know just how good Dementieva actually is. She'd be terrifying with a serve.

agreed. bravo lena, please get a serve and win a GS.

Natasc
Mar 13th, 2007, 09:40 PM

precisely :worship:

K-Dog
Mar 13th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Here's the thing. She is in a transition with her serve. She is trying to hit kick serves now, not the flat and slice serves of the past. Those were getting predictable. A solid kick serve is going to benefit Sharapova in the long run. Learning a kick serve is a tough thing for some people and Maria is finding it tough atm. Most women I see don't know how to properly hit a kick serve. Hell, I can't do it on a consistent basis. It is the toughest serve to master, but I give Maria a ton of credit for staying with it and trying to get better. These issues are nothing to worry about imo.

No Name Face
Mar 13th, 2007, 09:48 PM
you guys should have more respect for lenaD because of what she does with that serve of hers. as illustrated, sharapova doesn't have that much game without the serve, and thus, will fall in the rankings until she improves it.

égalité
Mar 13th, 2007, 09:49 PM

:haha: :haha:

Yeah, her groundstrokes are PRETTY BAD :weirdo:

DOUBLEFIST
Mar 13th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Here's the thing. She is in a transition with her serve. She is trying to hit kick serves now, not the flat and slice serves of the past. Those were getting predictable. A solid kick serve is going to benefit Sharapova in the long run. Learning a kick serve is a tough thing for some people and Maria is finding it tough atm. Most women I see don't know how to properly hit a kick serve. Hell, I can't do it on a consistent basis. It is the toughest serve to master, but I give Maria a ton of credit for staying with it and trying to get better. These issues are nothing to worry about imo.

I've often said that she might be trying to incorporate new service technique into her arsenal, so it could very well be that she's going for more of a kick than slice second serve. But I'm beginning to doubt that. It could be, though. I hope for Maria's sake it is. If so, I'll give her all respect. It takes a lot of guts to be so commited to working out a new service technique that you're willing to lose the tournament and your #1 ranking.

The thing is, if she's working out a new technique, why all the subterfuge with the "hamstring" explanation. Why not just come out and say, "I'm trying to get some more kick out of my second serve and am having some trouble?"

It's not like it would be revealing any big secret, that would surprise anyone. :shrug:

So, while the argument can be made (and I have made it in the past) that she's working on a new technique, it just doesn't make sense in the balance of it all.

streag
Mar 13th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Sharapova + good kick serve = wrist and/or shoulder injuries. That's not the way she should go. At least not in this fashion.
She reaps the harvest Yuri had sown.

K-Dog
Mar 13th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Wow people. OMG!! Looking at pictures on yahoo show that my and mboyle's opinions are completely right. The way Maria is serving is definenty different from the past. She's FOR SURE trying to hit kick serves and that serve takes months if not years to perfect. Look at those pics where they have her in mid-service motion. For sure kick serves.

DOUBLEFIST
Mar 13th, 2007, 10:27 PM
I'm watching the match right now. I gotta say, I'm not seeing real evidence of a new kick or "American twist." I am seeing evidence of significant weight gain- not fat, but more body mass. That could cause a number of problems for her mechanically and physically.

But watching the matching, looking closely at Maria's serve. I see no real indication of Maria working on a more signifcant kick serve.

jacobruiz
Mar 13th, 2007, 10:29 PM
[quote=DOUBLEFIST;10279137]
The thing is, if she's working out a new technique, why all the subterfuge with the "hamstring" explanation. Why not just come out and say, "I'm trying to get some more kick out of my second serve and am having some trouble?"
quote]

Maria injured her hamstring landing on a serve. That doesn't mean she isn't trying to change her serve motion. One doesn't necessarily cancel out the other.

K-Dog
Mar 13th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I've often said that she might be trying to incorporate new service technique into her arsenal, so it could very well be that she's going for more of a kick than slice second serve. But I'm beginning to doubt that. It could be, though. I hope for Maria's sake it is. If so, I'll give her all respect. It takes a lot of guts to be so commited to working out a new service technique that you're willing to lose the tournament and your #1 ranking.

It's not like it would be revealing any big secret, that would surprise anyone. :shrug:

So, while the argument can be made (and I have made it in the past) that she's working on a new technique, it just doesn't make sense in the balance of it all.

Yes it does. She figures if she adds this, it will be even harder to return her second serve and she'll always have this when her first serve is off or when she misses a first serve on a big point. I think it has more to do with Justine Henin to be honest and the fact that Justine doesn't return the kick serve to her backhand all that well. Her slice second serve will be a good asset to mix in every once in a while, but in the long run, a kick serve is more reliable and harder to attack.

DOUBLEFIST
Mar 13th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Yes it does. She figures if she adds this, it will be even harder to return her second serve and she'll always have this when her first serve is off or when she misses a first serve on a big point. I think it has more to do with Justine Henin to be honest and the fact that Justine doesn't return the kick serve to her backhand all that well. Her slice second serve will be a good asset to mix in every once in a while, but in the long run, a kick serve is more reliable and harder to attack.

You miss my point. I'm not saying it doesn't make sense for her tactically to develop a kick serve. It makes all the sense in the world. It's a wise thing to do.

What doesn't make sense is that being the source of her service woes. If it was, it'd be easy for her to come out and say (alla Tiger saying "I'm retooling my swing and I'm struggling a bit with it.").

Instead, she has offered up the hamstring as the excuse. That, to me, is silly IF the problem is actually born from "retooling" her second serve. All she has to do is come out and say it.

Maria injured her hamstring landing on a serve. That doesn't mean she isn't trying to change her serve motion. One doesn't necessarily cancel out the other.

Of course it doesn't "cancel out the other." what I'm saying is IF that's the case, then it's the NEW SERVE that's caused the initial problem that LED TO the hamstring. So simply come out and say it- IF THAT'S THE CASE.

There's no reason to hide she's working on a kick serve. So why not say it IF that's causing the stuggles?

My answer, that's not what's causing the struggles.

Dan23
Mar 13th, 2007, 11:19 PM
....as illustrated, sharapova doesn't have that much game without the serve, and thus, will fall in the rankings until she improves it.
:lol:

Dan23
Mar 13th, 2007, 11:25 PM
You miss my point. I'm not saying it doesn't make sense for her tactically to develop a kick serve. It makes all the sense in the world. It's a wise thing to do.

What doesn't make sense is that being the source of her service woes. If it was, it'd be easy for her to come out and say (alla Tiger saying "I'm retooling my swing and I'm struggling a bit with it.").

Instead, she has offered up the hamstring as the excuse. That, to me, is silly IF the problem is actually born from "retooling" her second serve. All she has to do is come out and say it.

Of course it doesn't "cancel out the other." what I'm saying is IF that's the case, then it's the NEW SERVE that's caused the initial problem that LED TO the hamstring. So simply come out and say it- IF THAT'S THE CASE.

There's no reason to hide she's working on a kick serve. So why not say it IF that's causing the stuggles?

My answer, that's not what's causing the struggles.
I seriously doubt Maria would continue to sacrifice the integrity of her game, especially after returning from a long layoff, to practice a kick serve. It can be incorporated over time without completely disrupting her form.

nelsondan
Mar 13th, 2007, 11:30 PM
I'm watching the match right now. I gotta say, I'm not seeing real evidence of a new kick or "American twist." I am seeing evidence of significant weight gain- not fat, but more body mass. That could cause a number of problems for her mechanically and physically.

I think there might be something to that. I think it could eventually help her game---- but it looks to me like it might be affecting her a little bit right now.

DOUBLEFIST
Mar 13th, 2007, 11:38 PM
I seriously doubt Maria would continue to sacrifice the integrity of her game, especially after returning from a long layoff, to practice a kick serve. It can be incorporated over time without completely disrupting her form.

Agreed.

That is the exact point I'm trying to get at. Her stuggles are, imho, not about "retooling" her serve, trying to get more kick out of it.

Dan23
Mar 13th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Agreed.

That is the exact point I'm trying to get at. Her stuggles are, imho, not about "retooling" her serve, trying to get more kick out of it.
I still dont think that is whats happening now. Look at photos of her serve now...shes just not hitting the 2nd serve like she usually does. It'll be fixed when she feels right again.

DOUBLEFIST
Mar 14th, 2007, 12:18 AM
I still dont think that is whats happening now. Look at photos of her serve now...shes just not hitting the 2nd serve like she usually does.

:lol: I'm not sure if you realize it, but I'm agreeing with you.

Dan23
Mar 14th, 2007, 12:21 AM
:lol: I'm not sure if you realize it, but I'm agreeing with you.
:lol: ok then..I thought you were saying shes trying to work on something. When I think all shes working on right now is getting the 2nd serve in court!

goldenlox
Mar 14th, 2007, 12:39 AM
She's not working on a new serve. She wasn't even hitting serves until this week. She's been trying to heal up her hamstring.

DOUBLEFIST
Mar 14th, 2007, 12:41 AM
:lol: ok then..I thought you were saying shes trying to work on something. When I think all shes working on right now is getting the 2nd serve in court!
:lol: I totally agree.

I was responding to K-dog, entertaining his theory that she was simply struggling with developing a kick second serve. I was telling him, I didn't think that was the case. I used to think that it was the case, but not anymore.

goldenlox
Mar 14th, 2007, 08:11 AM
She hasn't played enough this year to tell. She reached the AO final. She only played Tokyo and IW because of her sponsors.
She really needed a rest after Melbourne.
But Eisenbud thinks she's Tiger Woods, and took too many endorsements, and we're probably going to see the effect of that in Sharapova's results.

CORIA01
Mar 14th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Coria And Sharapova Will Come Soon To Kick Some Ass!!!!

saki
Mar 14th, 2007, 09:56 AM
I'm beginning to wonder whether it's some sort of confidence issue. Compare this match against Vera Z to the one that they played at the AO - very similar matches, except that Maria failed to serve out the match in the second set. Why not? It wasn't just the serve, she faltered mentally there.

It's possible that this is just one of her blips - like the choke against Safina at RG - but she just doesn't look like her usual self to me.

AlwaysAmelie
Mar 14th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Maybe its just the curse of being no.1 it started with momo bagels then Justin withdrawing from AO and now Sharapova serve :angel:

Dunlop1
Mar 14th, 2007, 12:19 PM

You and Mboyle are mixing up cause and effect.
Pova already has a kick serve and a pretty good one at that.

The reason you see her hitting kick serves now even on first serves is because she has lost confidence in her serve.
This is a smart thing to do. Add more topspin to your first serve so you can get it in, instead of blasting a flat first serve, missing and then having tons of pressure to make the second serve.

She isn't trying to 'learn' a kick serve. It would be dumb of her to use a tournament like IW to test out her kick serve. A tournament she won last year and has a ton of points to defend... don't think so.

Plus if this were the case, when she is in trouble she should be able to go to her slice or flat serve to get her out of trouble, but she is unable to do that.

Dunlop1
Mar 14th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Wow people. OMG!! Looking at pictures on yahoo show that my and mboyle's opinions are completely right. The way Maria is serving is definenty different from the past. She's FOR SURE trying to hit kick serves and that serve takes months if not years to perfect. Look at those pics where they have her in mid-service motion. For sure kick serves.

It's a bit bizarre that you would suggest a player of Maria's calibre is only just learning to hit a kick serve.

Marcell
Mar 14th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Here is what Steve Tignor observed during Sharapova's match.

"Sharapova clearly has serving issues now—is she slowing down her racquet in mid-swing? It looked like that a couple times"

Marcell
Mar 14th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Here is what Steve Tignor of Tennis.com observed during Sharapova's match.

"Sharapova clearly has serving issues now—is she slowing down her racquet in mid-swing? It looked like that a couple times"

Bruno71
Mar 14th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Maria's game becomes much more vulnerable when her serve doesn't give her very many free points. This should be obvious to fans and non-fans alike. She'll get her serve back at some point...it may be injury-related or just the "yips" or whatever, but I can see her not giving up until it gets back to where it was.

nelsondan
Mar 14th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I want to ask an almost unmentionable question about Maria---

I want to be clear---I think she is one of the most perfect looking women on the planet.

Her growth spurt in height was mentioned a lot---2 or 3 inches since she won at Wimbledon. It probably affected her game from time to time.

She was listed at 130 pounds then, and she is still listed at 130---almost an anorexic number if it were accurate, which, thankfully, it is not.

In terms of the best possible weight to play her best possible tennis---has she reached that, yet? Or does she need a few more pounds? would she be better off a few pounds less? Has the gradual change affected her tennis in ways she needs to pay attention to?

vejh
Mar 14th, 2007, 05:28 PM
^ I don't think so.

Right now she's just bothered by her injury, and still is not as mentally tough as she wants to be especially vs her fellow Russians.

SJW
Mar 14th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Not much game without the serve?
Never heard such rubbish about someone not named Serena.

K-Dog
Mar 14th, 2007, 11:18 PM
It's a bit bizarre that you would suggest a player of Maria's calibre is only just learning to hit a kick serve.

I can't name off the top of my head many women who hit kick serves. And Maria never had a good one. It was either slice or spin (not quite slice, not quite kick).

Here's the ones I know who do. Justine, Nicole, Serena, Alicia, Sam, Patty, Daniela and maybe a couple more. Not that many women can do it properly. Venus doesn't really. Kim never has. Amelie's second serve isn't really kick. Maria wasn't doing it up until now. Most of the Russian women don't. Ivanovic doesn't. Hingis doesn't. So players of Maria's calibre don't all know how to properly hit a kick serve.

goldenlox
Mar 14th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Maria didn't play well at IW. Last year she didn't play well at RG and Birmingham.
She has dull periods.