PDA

View Full Version : Serena: More humble and more serene than ever?

KYLIE
Feb 2nd, 2007, 02:55 AM
Serena has always had this reputation about her as being very very self assured confident and really tough.

Obviously.

ALot of times shes been given slack for not giving her opponents proper credit...in the past.

However ive noticed that in the last year or so serena has really evolved as a person on tour. She smiles a lot (not that she never did) shes very open to giving her opponents credit, even if she lost a match she knew she should have won.

Do you think we're seeing a more serene serena...whos still confident within herself of her talent, or a softer side of her that shes showing alot more, a vulnerable side of her? Im not one to make a claim here, i may be way off base, but ever since her family tragity Ive noticed both sisters focus has been one of spirituality, coming to terms with life and just making peace with alot of stuff that they perhaps didnt know before....and maybe thats helped serena become a more well respected member on the tour....not that she was not before...but people WANT to see her win now...instead of being upset...

discuss.:wavey:

winone23
Feb 2nd, 2007, 02:59 AM
I think Serena has always been humble and spiritual, but I think since her sister's death she has put life in a different perspective.

HippityHop
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:01 AM
I certainly hope that this "humility" doesn't find it's way onto the tennis court. If it does, she's doomed.

Keep that beat down fire, Serena.

MrSerenaWilliams
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:03 AM
yeah, she realizes that there's more to life than tennis, or endorsements, or whatever else there is. She realizes that life is about the legacy you leave, and she's such a GREAT role model.

:yeah: Ree!

Rome
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:35 AM
yeah, she realizes that there's more to life than tennis, or endorsements, or whatever else there is. She realizes that life is about the legacy you leave, and she's such a GREAT role model.

:yeah: Ree!

LOL i think Serena is going to play more tennis with her endorsement with nike to soon come to end she will need to win alot to get a good endorsement rember she sign with nike i think in 03 i think she has one year left on her endorsement with nike so who knows if Serena will play all the events she enter but I would bet she is going to play most of the events she enters and plus it will help here get her exp up there with the WTA but what do i know i'm just some tennis fan

No Name Face
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:39 AM
serena has always been serene. maybe not humble, but i prefer her approach to a clijsters, who's like "oh booo hoo i can't beat anyone oh look i'm in the semis." serena is the best of our generation and i mean...she knows it and lets everyone else know it. but yes, she has been a little understated recently. i like it, but i don't want her to get too modest. ;)

Seyz
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:17 AM
haha, I like it more when she tells it like it is more.

darrinbaker00
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:20 AM
Humble Serena loses to Sybille Bammer. Arrogant Serena beats Maria Sharapova like a bass drum. Humble Serena must DIE. ;)

KYLIE
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:40 AM
Humble Serena loses to Sybille Bammer. Arrogant Serena beats Maria Sharapova like a bass drum. Humble Serena must DIE. ;)

hillarious stuff there, LOL

Serena will never be some meek little mink who is satisfied with only a partial glimps of fame...Serena CRAVES attention, has a larger than life persona...but you know what? Shes only human too, and shes showing that alot more now, and i think thats really helped her win new fans all around the world.

good on ya, Serena!:wavey:

Hingiswinsthis
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:08 AM
we like her just like that in the australian open. before when she was dominant, and also after winning the 1999 USO, she had a swagger about her and an air that she was superior than any one else (which is true, but she doesn't do that any more or as often as before).

We like her like this, when she is doing her big time talkin' and smack downs....on the court.

mboyle
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:31 AM
I think Serena has always been humble and spiritual, but I think since her sister's death she has put life in a different perspective.

Serena's not humble. That's why she wins. She tries really really hard to be humble or come across as humble, and I admire her for that. But she believes/knows she is the best out there, and that definitely comes out before she wins in her conferences etc. After she's put her actions where her mouth is, then she talks about how lucky she is/good everyone else is.

Kim Clijsters is genuinely humble. She genuinely doesn't think she's anything super special. Serena knows and acts like she's the best in the world. Kim has 1 slam. Serena has 8 and counting. My creative writing teacher spit out a line last year that I think can apply to anything, "while you are writing, you have to believe that what you are writing is the most important piece of literature in human history. If you don't, no one else will, and it will turn out like crap." If a tennis player doesn't believe she is the best, she won't be. That's why I'm glad Serena isn't genuinely humble. But it isn't bragging if it's fact, right?

That said, Serena did seem more serene and chill this year. And she's not obnoxious like Roger has become at times (I am just the best player ever. Some of my shots are just unbelievable and unhuman...please...) But she knows she is one damn special, accomplished, unusual human being. And she's entitled to act that way overtly. That she even tries to suppress those emotions after victory just really goes to show you that yes, she is a classy person...no matter what anyone says.

floco
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:14 AM

Spiritual, maybe... but humble... please!! Serena Williams has never been humble and probably never will. She's the least humble player on the tour.
And though i do admire her as a player (I mean she has a great game), my problem is that i've always HATED arrogant people or people not capable of humility. We've all known people like that around us, and to me, the fact that they are actually good doesnt change anything. Some people are great and dont feel the need to brag about it. Look at Graf for example.
To me, a lack of humility denotes a certain lack of intelligence. Because this is just plain rudeness, and direspectful.
But from my personal experience with these people, I think they feel the need to constantly brag because they actually have a problem of confidence... at a certain level, they always feel they have something to prove to others, and to themselves.
But again, to me, its not excuse.

And please, Serena fans, before u call me a hater or something, I'm just expressing an opinion.

Brooklyn90
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:25 AM
serena is defently humble off court, but on court she's a greedy bitch :drool:

Speaklife
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:25 AM

I agree that Serena has always been humble and spiritual. She definitly has a right to be confident.:lol:

Speaklife
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:28 AM
serena is defently humble off court, but on court she's a greedy bitch :drool:

I love it! Serena has it going on!!!

Denise4925
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:29 AM
Serena's not humble. That's why she wins. She tries really really hard to be humble or come across as humble, and I admire her for that. But she believes/knows she is the best out there, and that definitely comes out before she wins in her conferences etc. After she's put her actions where her mouth is, then she talks about how lucky she is/good everyone else is.

Kim Clijsters is genuinely humble. She genuinely doesn't think she's anything super special. Serena knows and acts like she's the best in the world. Kim has 1 slam. Serena has 8 and counting. My creative writing teacher spit out a line last year that I think can apply to anything, "while you are writing, you have to believe that what you are writing is the most important piece of literature in human history. If you don't, no one else will, and it will turn out like crap." If a tennis player doesn't believe she is the best, she won't be. That's why I'm glad Serena isn't genuinely humble. But it isn't bragging if it's fact, right?

That said, Serena did seem more serene and chill this year. And she's not obnoxious like Roger has become at times (I am just the best player ever. Some of my shots are just unbelievable and unhuman...please...) But she knows she is one damn special, accomplished, unusual human being. And she's entitled to act that way overtly. That she even tries to suppress those emotions after victory just really goes to show you that yes, she is a classy person...no matter what anyone says.

I love this post. :worship: :worship: :worship:

I tried to give you some rep, but I've already given you too much. ;)