PDA

View Full Version : Would a lot of players improve their game if they fired their daddies?

Gonzo Hates Me!
Feb 1st, 2007, 04:06 PM
I'm sorry, if they had an amicable split...

there are some players who I wish would just stop getting coached by their dads/parents. On the ATP tour, some players' games have improved in ways I could not even forsee two years ago and they are more all around players because they enlisted the help of the best coaches because they were sick of being stagnant, and they weren't in denial about being stagnant and about how to change that.

I think WTA tour, some of the players coached by daddy should do the same thing because there are definitely some girls who are very talented and at the "top" of the game, but could get even higher--could still improve themself--refine their game. But I feel like they don't have a great or renowned coach exposing them to different mentalities for on the court and new techniques.

Tenis Srbija
Feb 1st, 2007, 04:10 PM
Jelena Dokić splited up... and we know where is she now :rolleyes:

Gonzo Hates Me!
Feb 1st, 2007, 04:12 PM
is she even trying? is she motivated?

Volcana
Feb 1st, 2007, 04:28 PM
I think WTA tour, some of the players coached by daddy should do the same thing because there are definitely some girls who are very talented and at the "top" of the game, but could get even higher--could still improve themself--refine their game. But I feel like they don't have a great or renowned coach exposing them to different mentalities for on the court and new techniques.
1) How many 'great or renowned' coaches are uncommitted right now?

2) Being a 'renowned' coach doesn't mean you're a good one. How many other players has Melanie Molitor brought to the top of the sport? A 'great' coach has to have 'great' materal.

3) You can have a great coach without that coach being famous.

4) Being a demonstrably great coach doesn't make you available. Rauza Islanova is obviously a coaching machine. She coached Myskina, Dementieva, Safin and Safina, but how are you gonna pry her outa Spartak?

5) Are you sure you understand the coaching situation for these players? Serena just won OZ with her mother doing the coaching. Orecene is rather the less credited half of the Williams parental coaching duo, but is that just an impression because Richard is so 'out there', while Orecene has been known to sleep when watching her daughters play?

6) It would be very unusual for a player near the top of the sport to be unable to afford adequate coaching. And I have trouble imagining a parent/coach deliberately refusing to get help if it meant their meal ticket child would then have a chance to win a major.

7) What parent/coach out there is doing a bad or mediocre job with a top player, AND is refusing outside help?

canoe.
Feb 1st, 2007, 05:02 PM
Mrs. Guga drinks Mary Carillo's, Kool Aid.

Gonzo Hates Me!
Feb 1st, 2007, 05:19 PM
1) How many 'great or renowned' coaches are uncommitted right now?

I don't know--I couldn't possibly know that. But there are great coaches out there, and especially if you're a top player, or a player who had promise and didn't capitalize on it, a really good coach is often willing to work with you...

2) Being a 'renowned' coach doesn't mean you're a good one. How many other players has Melanie Molitor brought to the top of the sport?

Often times, being renowned means you're really good, at something. You've had success doing something, and you're recognized for that something. And just because I say renowned doesn't mean I speak for ALL the renowned coaches on the planet, that's why I said "great or renowned." If Melanie Molitor is a renowned coach, who coaches people beyond her daughter, I did not know that

3) You can have a great coach without that coach being famous.

I didn't say a "great" coach had to be a celebrity.

4) Being a demonstrably great coach doesn't make you available. Rauza Islanova is obviously a coaching machine. She coached Myskina, Dementieva, Safin and Safina, but how are you gonna pry her outa Spartak?

Of course not every woman can get a top notch coach. That's why i said great OR renowned coach. Sometimes great doesn't have to be someone distinguished, just someone who has something to teach you, expose things about you or your game that you or someone who spends EVERY second with you might be numb to. Furthermore, the ones who could get a renowned coach would most-likely be a top player. I think they could do some successful prying with trial and error, of course

5) Are you sure you understand the coaching situation for these players? Serena just won OZ with her mother doing the coaching. Orecene is rather the less credited half of the Williams parental coaching duo, but is that just an impression because Richard is so 'out there', while Orecene has been known to sleep when watching her daughters play?

First of all, you can't be so literal just because I said "daddies" in the thread title, I did say "dad/parent" in the actual post, and we all know "daddies" is not the most serious word. I think family, period, is tricky when it comes to sports. Family can be blind or numb. And are you sure you understand the coaching situation? Just because Oracene was the one present doesn't tell a thousand words of what the Williams situation is. But for me, I have to believe Serena is an exception, she is like Federer IMO. No where as divinely gifted, but I think she could have no coach or a kinda-sorta coach and still be able to pull out a slam.

6) It would be very unusual for a player near the top of the sport to be unable to afford adequate coaching. And I have trouble imagining a parent/coach deliberately refusing to get help if it meant their meal ticket child would then have a chance to win a major.

Um, well, I think that's the case... and I think a lot of it does have to do with money... a lot of these girls working with with their family weren't rich growing up, so it seems some who get to the top with their family want to make sure that that money stays within the family.

7) What parent/coach out there is doing a bad or mediocre job with a top player, AND is refusing outside help?

I never said this is an issue of a parent doing a bad job, or mediocre job. Like I had said, some players can improve... they can refine... that doesn't make your coach "bad"

I think Maria Sharapova could use a new coach, we don't know the specifics of that trainer guy she has, but I think she could just use a new coach.
Elena Dementieva
the sisters even, an outside coach to evaluate their priorities
Hingis, because she's not that 16 year old girl anymore and the game has obviously changed, maybe she should simply have a change... why people are afraid of a positive change?

Gonzo Hates Me!
Feb 1st, 2007, 05:20 PM
Mrs. Guga drinks Mary Carillo's, Kool Aid.

lol, i do. I drink her Kool Aid when it comes to Hawk Eye too

austennis
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:00 PM
Dokic should have done this years ago and now Maria should.. hes just an embarasment..

ASP0315
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:34 PM
Dokic should have done this years ago and now Maria should.. hes just an embarasment..

Yeah but didn't he get her two major Titles and one Final with illegal coaching? :lol: :lol:

sfselesfan
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:47 PM
I think firing daddies and mommies is a good idea. They make better managers than coaches. Let them have input, but hire an outside coach. Capriati is an example of how it can help.

I know I'm among a minority with my fellow Williams fans, but I'd love to see an outside coack work with the sisters...in addition to mama and dad. The more help the better IMO. I think it'd be awesome to see them work with a talented coach like Salomon or Garrison-Jackson full time.

SF

floco
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:51 PM
Aravane Rezai
Marion Bartoli

Not sure their fathers will take them much higher... and its a shame coz they both have a big potential

piercerocks
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:09 AM
umm some parent/child relationships work but i do think kirilenko needs a good coach

miffedmax
Feb 2nd, 2007, 01:27 AM
I actually think that the Williams and Sharapova have both done a good job of getting outside help when needed. Indeed, if anything, I've always thought the Williams camp has underplayed the role of outside coaches as part of their "brand."

I would dearly love to see my favorite work with a real coach again. There's been a definite drop since she quite working with Olga.

Chrissie-fan
Feb 2nd, 2007, 02:06 AM
Some tennis daddys aren't so much trainers as trainer wannabes living the good life off of the talents of their daughters. Not necessarily a problem if the girl in question is ok with that, but sometimes parents can put so much pressure on youngsters that it stifles their love for the game and/or makes them mentally a lot more vulnerable than they would otherwise be. I think that this applies even more to the lower ranked players though. Parents have often invested so much time and money on their daughter on the misguided idea that she will be the next Steffi that failure is nothing less than a family disaster. That's a lot of weight to put on the shoulders of a kid.

Martian Stacey
Feb 2nd, 2007, 02:36 AM
Jelena Dokić splited up... and we know where is she now :rolleyes:
You don't seriously think she would be better off with Damir still in her life? :o They guy is a nut case.

HippityHop
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:22 AM
You don't seriously think she would be better off with Damir still in her life? :o They guy is a nut case.

:haha:

selyoink
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:32 AM
I think Lena D. would definitely be better served if her coach wasn't Mommy Vera. She never should of fired Olga who coached her during her best season.

DOUBLEFIST
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:06 AM
I don't think SANE parents should be fired as coach. They simply should be willing to bring in additional coaches. Many people act like having a parent "head" coach and, say for example, a serving coach are mutually exclusive. Actually, it basically follows the template of other sports. I remember my last tennis coach really helped my forehand, but I had to stop working with him on my serve, because it simply wasn't helping. I had to get some other help there. I think if parents can function more as top advisors to their daughter or, if the daughter so chooses, the "head coach" and be willing to bring in others, the player will have the best of both worlds.

Volcana
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:49 AM
why people are afraid of a positive change?You're assuming the change would be positive. Maybe the players don't share your certainty.

No Name Face
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:51 AM
if elenaD fired her mommy...

or just had her mom approve of a coach or something...that'd be good

franny
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:26 AM
Maria needs to fire her dad. First of all, he makes a scene and makes her look bad. Second of all, he doesn't really know anything about tennis. Third of all, she needs Pat Etcheberry to get her fitness up (puahaha, yea right like that's ever gonna happen), fourth of all he just annoys me.

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:07 AM
Maria Kirilenko should get a coach!!!