PDA

View Full Version : Joyce to Sharapova: "Find a way to win!"

itzhak
Feb 1st, 2007, 10:55 AM
Scolded Sharapova through to Tokyo quarters
By Alastair Himmer

TOKYO (Reuters) - World number one Maria Sharapova responded to a scolding from her coach to beat Italy's Francesca Schiavone 7-5 2-6 6-1 and reach the quarter-finals of the Pan Pacific Open on Thursday.

The 19-year-old Russian twice fought back from a break down to take the opening set but suffered a total meltdown in the second, earning her a ticking off from coach Michael Joyce.

With on-court coaching allowed in Tokyo, Joyce did not mince his words when he sat next to a sulking Sharapova at the change of ends.

"Find a way to win!" he snapped at her.
Still scowling, Sharapova hit back with steely resolve, storming through the deciding set to book her place in the last eight of the $1.3 million tournament.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=reu-japandc&prov=reuters&type=lgns

The world's No. 1 women's player turned her game around after a courtside lecture from coach Michael Joyce during the break between the second and third sets.

"It all goes back to your serve," Joyce told Sharapova. "You've just got to get it together and find a way to win."

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-tokyo&prov=ap&type=lgns

spokenword73
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:00 AM
Scolded Sharapova through to Tokyo quarters
By Alastair Himmer

TOKYO (Reuters) - World number one Maria Sharapova responded to a scolding from her coach to beat Italy's Francesca Schiavone 7-5 2-6 6-1 and reach the quarter-finals of the Pan Pacific Open on Thursday.

The 19-year-old Russian twice fought back from a break down to take the opening set but suffered a total meltdown in the second, earning her a ticking off from coach Michael Joyce.

With on-court coaching allowed in Tokyo, Joyce did not mince his words when he sat next to a sulking Sharapova at the change of ends.

"Find a way to win!" he snapped at her.
Still scowling, Sharapova hit back with steely resolve, storming through the deciding set to book her place in the last eight of the $1.3 million tournament.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=reu-japandc&prov=reuters&type=lgns

The world's No. 1 women's player turned her game around after a courtside lecture from coach Michael Joyce during the break between the second and third sets.

"It all goes back to your serve," Joyce told Sharapova. "You've just got to get it together and find a way to win."

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-tokyo&prov=ap&type=lgns

Maybe courtside coaching ain't such a bad thing. Maria is young and rather than have Yuri screaming at her from the stands, someone sitting next to her screaming makes more sense.;)

itzhak
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:03 AM
I want to see the video...

Wednesday
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:08 AM
When I went to the AO final I had a good view of Yuri and I noticed that at the second change of ends (when Maria was down 0-3* with a double break) Yuri changed from an orange shirt to a grey shirt. Then later on in the match he took his cap of. And then further on in the match he sat a row futher back. Quite funny really. Possibly he is sending a secret message to Maria during the match after he got told off for coaching against Chakvetadze? Who knows what would have happened if the match went for longer.

Veritas
Feb 1st, 2007, 12:18 PM
I love how some coaches give what's essentially useless "advice" :rolleyes: As if Sharapova doesn't know she has to "find a way to win" or improve a serve that's gotten 17 DFs :eek: Why not tell her something more constructive? Such as what shots to use or forcing an error by getting an opponent out of position - seriously these guys get paid big $$$ to help their charges win :tape:

ImaVeggie
Feb 1st, 2007, 12:37 PM
I love how some coaches give what's essentially useless "advice" :rolleyes: As if Sharapova doesn't know she has to "find a way to win" or improve a serve that's gotten 17 DFs :eek: Why not tell her something more constructive? Such as what shots to use or forcing an error by getting an opponent out of position - seriously these guys get paid big $$$ to help their charges win :tape:

So true.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Feb 1st, 2007, 01:00 PM
Uhm.. no words to say :tape: It looks like Maria didn't know that she had to find a way to win the match :shrug:

Dan23
Feb 1st, 2007, 01:06 PM
'Find a way to win' works with Maria tho...because thats what she often does :lol: With Maria serving 17 DF's, he was stating the obvious, so theres not much else to say.

Dexter
Feb 1st, 2007, 01:08 PM
She did find it, though and that's all what counts! :lol:

bellascarlett
Feb 1st, 2007, 01:11 PM
would have wanted to see a sulking scowling sharapova being scolded by mike. :lol:

i wish yuri was the one out there...maria really needs to be shaken up.

Dan23
Feb 1st, 2007, 01:13 PM
would have wanted to see a sulking scowling sharapova being scolded by mike. :lol:
there might have been a slight bit of journalistic licence included there ;)

womensrights
Feb 1st, 2007, 01:16 PM
Did you ever think that maybe thats what she responds too. I'm sure he knows her a lot better than any of you. And it worked. Sometimes if you go into to many tactics it might confuse the player more.Not to mention they are only quoting 1 sentence he had a whole 2 minutes to talk to her so maybe he said other things that they didn't pick up.Whatever he said worked she won the third set 6 1.And if i'm not mistaken she won titles in Zurich and Linz and both those tournaments had on court coaching as well!So I think she is 9 and 0 with on court coaching!

random fan
Feb 1st, 2007, 01:16 PM
Who cares if it works ? :lol: It is all depend on the player in question though. you must find the most suited way to communicate with her depending on what kind of person she is and what works. If a snap at her pride may fix things and keep her going than he absolutely was right to do what he did. What else you can tell to player when it is obvious what went wrong?

ImaVeggie
Feb 1st, 2007, 01:18 PM
Who cares if it works ? :lol: It is all depend on the player in question though. you must find the most suited way to communicate with her depending on what kind of person she is and what works. If a snap at her pride may fix things and keep her going than he absolutely was right to do what he did. What else you can tell to player when it is obvious what went wrong?

Also true.

bellascarlett
Feb 1st, 2007, 01:23 PM
there might have been a slight bit of journalistic licence included there ;)

exactly...:)

agree with womensrights and random fan.

tennnisfannn
Feb 1st, 2007, 01:25 PM
i am sure maria would still have found a way to win hoyce or no joyce, it is not like she is likely to get beaten by just anyone. Last I checked three setters still counted in women's tennis.

ioni
Feb 1st, 2007, 06:28 PM
i am sure maria would still have found a way to win hoyce or no joyce, it is not like she is likely to get beaten by just anyone. Last I checked three setters still counted in women's tennis.

:lol: double standarts :) for Sharapova has to be only 2 sets ..if not :help:

canoe.
Feb 1st, 2007, 06:37 PM
"It all goes back to your serve," Joyce told Sharapova. "You've just got to get it together and find a way to win." I wonder if he mentioned what technically she was doing wrong? I would have loved to have seen his triple chins shaking as he was talking to her. lol

perseus2006
Feb 1st, 2007, 06:39 PM
Mike told her about the same thing I was screaming at the live scoreboard, he was just more polite about it.

IDK, but if Pova isn't injured, then this serve thing, actually lack of serve thing, is just "bad attitude". Get over it, get on with it and get some wins!!!

Shriek on, Pova!

Corswandt
Feb 1st, 2007, 07:46 PM

Yup.

Oncourt coaching is giving the average viewers the impression that tennis coaches are nothing but glorified and overpaid motivational speakers.

starin
Feb 1st, 2007, 07:53 PM
Is the WTA going to start diong on court coaching at all the tier I's ? Are they even going to start doing it at slams? I don't like on court coaching.

Princeza
Feb 1st, 2007, 07:56 PM
id like coaching from the stands being legal, on court is just good for fed/davis cup

Mark for Martina
Feb 1st, 2007, 07:58 PM
We could really see how Maria's game is built around that serve. I guess a slight slump on the service department could only help her build up an option 2 in winning service games.

jazar
Feb 1st, 2007, 09:16 PM
what advice. thats what she is paying him for

DOUBLEFIST
Feb 1st, 2007, 09:39 PM
The thing of it is, we don't know EVERYTHING he said. Only what's been reported. So, it's kind of impossible to judge the quality of the coaching if we weren't in on the whole conversation.

But something about this on court coaching rubs me the wrong way. I just haven't figured what it is yet.

Sefo
Feb 1st, 2007, 10:13 PM
The thing of it is, we don't know EVERYTHING he said. Only what's been reported. So, it's kind of impossible to judge the quality of the coaching if we weren't in on the whole conversation.

Here's the whole text:

Find a way to win, don't ask me how. I'm full of debts, girl. I thought this would be easy. I need the cash for the new car, babe. You're not working enough. So find a way to win, I can tell you no more, this thing is being broadcasted, people are gonna stole my ideas.

Marcus Jordan
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:25 PM
that coach was showboating

what a lozer coach

Denise4925
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:26 PM
Is the WTA going to start diong on court coaching at all the tier I's ? Are they even going to start doing it at slams? I don't like on court coaching.

I agree, I don't like it. If you don't know what to do when you get out on the court, then you shouldn't be out there.

supergrunt
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:33 PM
When I went to the AO final I had a good view of Yuri and I noticed that at the second change of ends (when Maria was down 0-3* with a double break) Yuri changed from an orange shirt to a grey shirt. Then later on in the match he took his cap of. And then further on in the match he sat a row futher back. Quite funny really. Possibly he is sending a secret message to Maria during the match after he got told off for coaching against Chakvetadze? Who knows what would have happened if the match went for longer.

was the match even long enough for all of that? :lol: :p

Denise4925
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:37 PM
was the match even long enough for all of that? :lol: :p

:lol:

womensrights
Feb 2nd, 2007, 02:47 PM
Where is Yuri

MisterMan
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:02 PM
As he walked back to his seat, Joyce said "and don't forget the banana this time."