PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo R2: Maria Shrapova def. Francesca Schiavone 7-5 2-6 6-1

RG Moonballer
Feb 1st, 2007, 09:58 AM
With 17 DF! :fiery:

Dexter
Feb 1st, 2007, 09:58 AM
17 DFs... (4 in a row at some stage :o )... Lena would have been proud of :tape:

eck
Feb 1st, 2007, 09:59 AM
Fran.
:(

Should have won set 1

Rome
17 DFs... (4 in a row at some stage :o )... Lena would have been proud of :tape:

lol

RG Moonballer
What's going on with her. That's so sad.

D.F. Sharapova...

AaronJoyB
Feb 1st, 2007, 10:00 AM
Bad match for Sharpy
better for her to rise her game..

brokenflowers
Yay!

But Maria needs to work on her serve man seriously.17 Ds is crazy.

brokenflowers
Yay!

But Maria needs to work on her serve man seriously.17 Dfs is crazy.

itzhak
It was joke, no?...

I think that Maria even enjoyed out there...

Princeza
:fiery: masha

starred06
Feb 1st, 2007, 10:01 AM
She's developing this new trend to have tough openers...

klok
17 DFs, what was going on with her serving??

Rome
It was joke, no?...

I think that Maria even enjoyed out there...

are you on drugs ?

RG Moonballer
Feb 1st, 2007, 10:02 AM
Shall Elena and Masha meet in the final, who do you reckon will win in the DF category? lol

shadowsecret
Feb 1st, 2007, 10:02 AM
17 DFs :tape:

Good Luck next match :)

bellascarlett
Feb 1st, 2007, 10:04 AM
Maria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

But what an absolutely shitty serve...:smash: 17 dfs...:speakles: not funny anymore! seems Maria went to the Elena Dementieva School of Serving during the off-season! :fiery: :tape:

That was disgusting...I dunno what to say...but oh well, she's here for another match...we'll see how that one goes...:scared: gosh, how can someone go from winning to US Open to...THIS??? :confused:

Maria, stay away from Lena! :o

Shimizu Amon
Feb 1st, 2007, 10:04 AM
Ouch what is going on with her serve?!?
Glad she won, thank God she only plays Ai in the QF.

Ben.
Feb 1st, 2007, 10:05 AM
congrats maria :yeah: but 17 DF's :eek: just not on!
but fran played well so well done to her :)

bellascarlett
Feb 1st, 2007, 10:07 AM
does someone have access to the the post-match interviews?

Foot's Fingers
Feb 1st, 2007, 10:08 AM
well Maria

AO was only begining of yr service problems and DF

Now i hope, Maria will bring her good serve to Dementieva as exchange

shad9480
Feb 1st, 2007, 10:10 AM
How can you win the title playing like this?!! :mad: :(. But a champion will always find a way...;).
I believe in you. Come on :bounce:.
Her game and serves can desert her but her heart will not :kiss: :hearts:. That's my gal and good luck on the next round...

bellascarlett
congrats maria :yeah: but 17 DF's :eek: just not on!
but fran played well so well done to her :)

oh god, please tell me francesca played well...please tell me...:angel: :unsure:

can anyone who saw the match confirm this?

Chewie
Serena's strong serve got into Maria's head. She's a wreck...

RND
Feb 1st, 2007, 10:12 AM
From Semipova to Sharadofa...I think it's still better. :rolleyes:

pooh14
Feb 1st, 2007, 10:14 AM
she might be trying out new serving technique?

anyway she has still alot of time to work it out.

Porcupine
Feb 1st, 2007, 10:17 AM
Maria borrowed Lena D's serve to play today :o

Good luck next round maria :yeah: At least you won ;)

bellascarlett
Feb 1st, 2007, 10:19 AM

Didn't you watch the AO? Maria's serving has been a mess since the season started. She even had serving troubles in the HK exhibition. :o

Shoulderpova
Feb 1st, 2007, 10:19 AM
Masha :o

Sharapova's_Boy
Feb 1st, 2007, 10:23 AM
Masha :yeah: A win is a win.

:worship: to her though - that she can find a way to win against a quality opponent when her serve is nowhere to be found. :o

Bruno71
Feb 1st, 2007, 10:27 AM
What I don't get is how someone whose serve is normally SO solid can just lose their stroke like that. My immediate thought would be an injury she's not telling us about. What else could it be?

CiuMH
Feb 1st, 2007, 10:28 AM
Aggresive Ai will destroy her....

kittyking
Feb 1st, 2007, 10:28 AM
I always thought that Elena D was the master of double faults, been proven wrong today

kittyking
Feb 1st, 2007, 10:29 AM
Aggresive Ai will destroy her....

Wont that depend on Maria getting in her serves though, Maria could well destroy herself. :lol:

markspot
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:05 AM
It is not just serving,
even in those rare occasions her 1st serve was in in the 2nd set,
she won only 20% of points on her 1st serve!

Her serving in the 3rd set, on the other hand, suddenly looked ok, until her last sevice game, that is. Is it only mental?

She had a similar number of DFs in 2004 when she lost in the 1st round of New Haven just before US Open to Mashona Washington.
But then there was a valid reason for that - she switched to a different racquet and was struggling to adapt to it.

ewbangkok
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:08 AM
masha still bad performance.....shiavone..you almost get it.

maddogz48
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:25 AM
Schiavone blew her chance to take down Sharapova. It's obvious Sharapova is still a bit rattled from the Aussie finals. Hopefully her next opponent will send her packing out of Tokyo. :)

Sharapova needs to go and work on her serve and return when it has improved.

Andy.
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:25 AM
What is wrong with Maria's serve what happened to it over the off season. Thangs need to be looked at. that was a very sketchy win and she will really have to lift her game.

.Andrew.
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:28 AM
Maria :yeah: Needs to find her serve though because she was lucky to get through a quality opponent like Schiavone with that serve :o GL against Ai.. If your serve is the same as today, you'll need it :o :(

Andy.
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:37 AM
I just dont know what to think what has happened to one of the best serves in the game ? is it pressure or is it something else ?

UDACHi
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:44 AM

:rolls:

serena's serve is the reason for the dfs? k.

well, that seemed to be a very lena match. i think lena's record is 19, so maria has a bit of work to do.

that really is horrendous, though. get it together, maria! :mad:

goldenlox
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:53 AM
Sharapova has won 26 of 28 since Wimbledon. She's still the player to beat here. But by week 2 of Wimbledon, she will have to be playing her best. That's still months away.

bellascarlett
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:54 AM
:rolls:

serena's serve is the reason for the dfs? k.

well, that seemed to be a very lena match. i think lena's record is 19, so maria has a bit of work to do.

that really is horrendous, though. get it together, maria! :mad:

only 19? :eek: I actually seriously thought it was higher than that...

shame on you, maria, just 3 dfs away from taking away lena's title as df queen! and really what's 3 more dfs if you can make 17?!? :sad:

Emina.
Feb 1st, 2007, 12:13 PM
What is wrong with Maria's serve what happened to it over the off season. Thangs need to be looked at. that was a very sketchy win and she will really have to lift her game.

i think that because of the pressure shes not able to focus like she did before.

Sefo
Feb 1st, 2007, 12:20 PM
Guess it's only a minor identity chrisis.
Maria: Who am I? What am I doing here?
Things like that.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Feb 1st, 2007, 12:30 PM
So many DFs :tape:
I definitely hope that Maria will play better against Sugiyama :tape:

ioni
Feb 1st, 2007, 12:39 PM
Guess it's only a minor identity chrisis.
Maria: Who am I? What am I doing here?
Things like that.

:lol: :eek: minor indentity crisis ? now i know what Dementieva had all this time ..:lol: if you step on court having questions like that :who am i ? or what i'm doing here than you're about to lose for sure ..but she didn't so i guess those aren't the questions that troubles her ..

Derek.
Feb 1st, 2007, 12:42 PM
LMAO!

17 DF for Sharapova? :spit:

And Franny still lost. :o

Sefo
Feb 1st, 2007, 12:49 PM
Let's hope is not an injury. Go Masha in the next round.

ImaVeggie
Feb 1st, 2007, 12:51 PM
IMO, it has to be a "mental"issue. Now that it's widely known that she's struggling with her serve, it has become worse. She's lost confidence in it & in herself. To me, it's not a problem that simply devoting practice time to just serving will fix. It's much more than that.

Stroba
Feb 1st, 2007, 12:51 PM
What I don't get is how someone whose serve is normally SO solid can just lose their stroke like that. My immediate thought would be an injury she's not telling us about. What else could it be?

Yes, I also at first thought it might be a reaccuracy of her shoulder/rib injury that she is yet to tell us about. But then I hear she served ok in the third set besides serving for the match.:rolleyes: ....Guess it´s just lack of confidence serving right know(?) Surely she can´t lose her ability just like that. During the YEC we were talking about Maria having probably the best serve on tour. Now 17 DF:help:

But I´m sure Maria will get her act together. Just needs a few good serving performances in a row.:yeah:

Dan23
Feb 1st, 2007, 01:10 PM
A couple of poor serving performances (while still winning) and people are all over her :o :unsure: even some of her own fans :o She will work it out.

Andy.
Feb 1st, 2007, 01:28 PM
A couple of poor serving performances (while still winning) and people are all over her :o :unsure: even some of her own fans :o She will work it out.

I think its just the fact that since she won the US Open and is now world number 1 the expectations for her are so high and when she plays like she did today people ask the question

RenaSlam.
Feb 1st, 2007, 01:55 PM
Wow...problems for Sharapova.

Her serve is failing her lately...

-Makiri-
Feb 1st, 2007, 01:57 PM
Fran :sad:

P_Fer
Feb 1st, 2007, 04:33 PM
Masha fix your serve! Good luck in the next round

Tennisation
Feb 1st, 2007, 04:38 PM
everyone goes thru a "lost and found" form in their tennis career, don't worry too much about it. It could be a lot worse like an injury, she'll get it fixed.

UDACHi
Feb 1st, 2007, 04:43 PM
only 19? :eek: I actually seriously thought it was higher than that...

shame on you, maria, just 3 dfs away from taking away lena's title as df queen! and really what's 3 more dfs if you can make 17?!? :sad:

i remember her hitting 19 against chakvetadze at the us open a couple years ago, but i don't think she's ever done 20.

Viktymise
Feb 1st, 2007, 04:45 PM
Kournikova is the DF queen with 34 if i remember right against Miho Saeiki at the AO one year and even more shocking she still won :tape:

Serenita
Feb 1st, 2007, 04:51 PM
damn

xan
Feb 1st, 2007, 04:53 PM
Maybe Maria is remodelling her 2nd serve, which needs more bite.

And she tends not to back-off on it when its going badly anyway. Bu she doesn't want to develop Dementieva Disease! 17 DF is FOUR serve games.

Good to see the 6-1 in the final set though.

Good luck in the rest of the tourney, Maria!

DevilishAttitude
Feb 1st, 2007, 04:56 PM
Francesca :eek: A 3 set match against Sharapova on a fast indoor court.

Of course though, she still loses.

A bit more positive though.

Has Maria got a shoulder problem?

jacobruiz
Feb 1st, 2007, 04:56 PM
Great fight in the third set, Maria! Good luck against Ai, who seems to be playing pretty well.

Il Primo!
Feb 1st, 2007, 05:06 PM
What the hell!
I expected a bloody 60 61!
She has to fix that serve!

Lefty.
Feb 1st, 2007, 05:06 PM
Oh dear. :help: 17 DFs.

Hopefully the serve will be much better vs. Ai. :)

The Daviator
Feb 1st, 2007, 05:12 PM
:eek: Maria :unsure:

stevos
Feb 1st, 2007, 05:14 PM
Im trying not to worry about her serve, but I'm getting worried.

At the YEC it was so potent, its like she lost it in the off-season.

She'll get there.

SoClose
Feb 1st, 2007, 05:18 PM
Good luck next round Maria

I<3Myskina
Feb 1st, 2007, 05:18 PM
17 df's?! She normally one serve less than half of that. :unsure:

Damn Fran, what happened in that last set?

Tenis Srbija
Feb 1st, 2007, 05:19 PM
Elena Dementieva watch out... No 1 in DF's isn't secured anymore :)

I knew it would go in three sets... :rolleyes:

Still, GL Masha in QF :hatoff:

Pixie
Feb 1st, 2007, 05:23 PM
So many doubles faults? :eek:

Slampova
Feb 1st, 2007, 05:37 PM
Quite a scare there Masha. Cut down on the DF in the QF and you should be fine. Good Luck against Ai!

Hashim.
Feb 1st, 2007, 05:38 PM
[QUOTE=Tenis Srbija;9945169]Elena Dementieva watch out... No 1 in DF's isn't secured anymore :)QUOTE]

:lol:
congrats maria..

Andrew Laeddis
Feb 1st, 2007, 05:39 PM
I thought Kounikova had teh record for most df's i read somewhere that she made aroudn 32 dfs and still won the match

cartmancop
Feb 1st, 2007, 06:09 PM
What the hell is wrong with her serve?? She needs to fix that sooner rather than later b4 it becomes a lasting problem...

PLP
Feb 1st, 2007, 07:05 PM
I don't understand 17 DF's against Franny. Schiavone has great groundstrokes but she isn't going to kill every return like Serena, why didn't Masha just try and get it in? 17 free COMPLETELY free points, over 4 games.

Still, I am not worried about Masha. I don't think it will be a chronic problem, it's just adjusting to the pressure IMO.
I think she will play much better against Ai, she will be up for it! Should be a good match! :)

ce
Feb 1st, 2007, 07:10 PM
well...expected more from maria

Aaron.
Feb 1st, 2007, 07:11 PM
Maria using same outfit as AO :fiery: Maria has better outfits than the one shes wearing :fiery:

:inlove:
Feb 1st, 2007, 07:14 PM
OMG. :help: :lol:
Thank God you didn't lose this Maria. :o GM would just die with orgasms.

gmak
Feb 1st, 2007, 07:46 PM
omg Masha :o :scared: 17 DF???
thank God, you didn't lose to Schiavone :help:

but i think she will lift her game against Ai, she has to...

starin
Feb 1st, 2007, 07:50 PM
Maria :help: That is an insane number of double faults for someone who used to have a very solild second serve. Maybe it's just a minor phase. She's rebelling against the tyranny of Yuri by serving double faults.

Schiavone :help: You can't beat someone who serves 17 double faults. That is just really sad.

Contemplate
Feb 1st, 2007, 08:06 PM
Well...according to the brilliant and "impartial" Tracy Austin, Sharapova and Serena are "EVEN" on their serves...LOL

DOUBLEFIST
Feb 1st, 2007, 08:10 PM
I won't be a bit surprised if we find out Maria's got some sort of shoulder injury. I don't know how else she goes from her normal self to Dementieva on a bad day.

Tenis Srbija
Feb 1st, 2007, 08:32 PM
Maria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

But what an absolutely shitty serve...:smash: 17 dfs...:speakles: not funny anymore! seems Maria went to the Elena Dementieva School of Serving during the off-season! :fiery: :tape:

That was disgusting...I dunno what to say...but oh well, she's here for another match...we'll see how that one goes...:scared: gosh, how can someone go from winning to US Open to...THIS??? :confused:

Maria, stay away from Lena! :o

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ellery
Feb 1st, 2007, 08:45 PM
Fran :bigcry:

jazar
Feb 1st, 2007, 08:46 PM
17 doubles, i think she has been spending too much time with lena d. at least she won though

RJWCapriati
Feb 1st, 2007, 08:46 PM
Nice 2nd set from Fran.......17 DF?????

piercerocks
Feb 1st, 2007, 09:01 PM
omg i put fran as the winner in FITD.. i was so sure she was going to own maria.. who is playing like crap.

hablo
Feb 1st, 2007, 09:12 PM
Wow, looks like Schiavone gave Sharpie lots of problems! :lol:

SAEKeithSerena
Feb 1st, 2007, 10:02 PM
Serena put some fear into Maria's mind. she won't be her normal self for awhile i don't think.

LoveFifteen
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:23 PM

Now that Yuri's not allowed to hold up bananas, Masha's game is slowly falling apart.

ivpasqua88
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:27 PM
francesca today could really make it! it's sad that she didn't do it!!!! but it's ok, she still has to recover and find her game back! anyways maria should get better in the next matches if she really wants to win the whole tournament! forza roberta vinci now!!!

tobi
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:48 PM
Congrats Masha

17 DF?? :eek:

F-R-E-A-K
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:09 AM
OMG Masha :lol: :tape: 17 DF'S :help: :o

Terrible :banghead:

Rachel_85
Feb 2nd, 2007, 02:15 AM
I think theres some problem with her shoulder, either that or shes got no confident in her serve. Masha cut out on the double faults :@

serenafan08
Feb 2nd, 2007, 02:21 AM
Maria better fix that serve quick otherwise she won't stay at the top for very long. It's good that she won; she's still got that fighting spirit. But 17 DF's??? That's unimaginable. :eek:

Sharapova's_Boy
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:42 AM
Now that Yuri's not allowed to hold up bananas, Masha's game is slowly falling apart.

:haha:

No, iT's bECaUSE FearLESs SerENa WiLLIamZ bEAT HEr DOwn!!!!!!!!11111111111111