PDA

View Full Version : Italians and the top 10...

tennisbuddy12
Feb 1st, 2007, 12:04 AM
Silvia Farina Elia and Francessca Schiavone were both about a match away from being the top ten.
both hit number 11.
now Farina Elia is retired & Schiavone is out of the top 20.:eek:

is this an italian curse?
has there ever been an italian in the top 10?

RenaSlam.
Feb 1st, 2007, 12:06 AM
:wavey:

Farina Elia Fan
Feb 1st, 2007, 12:06 AM
I dont want an Italian to ever make top 10 :lol:

ivpasqua88
Feb 1st, 2007, 12:08 AM
it's a question that i always ask myself, i don't really know!!!! i am sure that an italian never made it throught the top 10, but they got soooooooooooooooooooooooooo close!!!!!! i put my hopes in flavia pennetta and schiavone, they will be back from the injuries!

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 1st, 2007, 12:12 AM
it's a question that i always ask myself, i don't really know!!!! i am sure that an italian never made it throught the top 10, but they got soooooooooooooooooooooooooo close!!!!!! i put my hopes in flavia pennetta and schiavone, they will be back from the injuries!

Pennetta has a chance but Schiavone's game has peaked.

Franny has the spin and a surprisingly good first serve but she still doesn't know when exactly to come to net.
I would be surprised if she ever gets back to her career ranking.

Derek.
Feb 1st, 2007, 12:15 AM
I dont want an Italian to ever make top 10 :lol:

Why?

Because they'd be doing something Silvia didn't? :o

piercerocks
Feb 1st, 2007, 12:50 AM
aww. they will do it someday : )

Monica_Rules
Feb 1st, 2007, 01:12 AM
Francesca was playing so well last year untill Mel South beat her:)

She should have won Sydney and prob a few other matches and thats why she hasn't been top 10. I can' see her getting back there the top 16 and top 20 is so rammed now.

UncleZeke
Feb 1st, 2007, 02:09 AM
Oprandi went from #240 in 2005 to #46 at end of 2006. She's only 20 yrs old. Maybe she will be the next Italian hope.

AUSBOY
Feb 1st, 2007, 02:31 AM
Sandra Cecchini peaked at about 14 I think.

Don't think there has been a top 10 Italian since the 80's

LudwigDvorak
Feb 1st, 2007, 02:36 AM
I hope Santangelo does it. Her or Pennetta. Those are my fave Italians that I'm aware of.

égalité
Feb 1st, 2007, 02:38 AM
I think the only one who can do it now is Pennetta. I wish she'd stop getting injured :(

UncleZeke
Feb 1st, 2007, 02:46 AM
Pennetta played 18 tourneys last year. Six (6) one third of her schedule was Tier 3 or 4.. She is not going to reach Top 10 with a schedule like that.

The Kaz
Feb 1st, 2007, 02:46 AM
I hope it happens...i would for Oprandi to do it

ezekiel
Feb 1st, 2007, 02:51 AM
I think the bigger question is if we'll ever see a good looking italian tennis player :o

UncleZeke
Feb 1st, 2007, 02:57 AM
Mara Santangelo isn't too bad.

germex
Feb 1st, 2007, 03:00 AM
I think the bigger question is if we'll ever see a good looking italian tennis player :o

I think Penneta is kinda cute.:)

UncleZeke
Feb 1st, 2007, 03:02 AM
Pennetta is cute.

Mr_Molik
Feb 1st, 2007, 03:04 AM
silvia farina elia is beautiful

tommyk75
Feb 1st, 2007, 04:18 AM
I agree. I saw Pennetta in person, and she's very striking-looking, especially her eyes. Also, Rafaella Reggi was quite pretty when she was playing (she was also a pretty good player).

Mateo Mathieu
Feb 1st, 2007, 04:25 AM
I hope Santangelo does it. Her or Pennetta. Those are my fave Italians that I'm aware of.
If Santangelo make into Top 10 then that's comedy! :haha:

Slumpsova
Feb 1st, 2007, 05:42 AM
Corinna Dentoni :wavey:

Farina Elia Fan
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:56 AM
silvia farina elia is beautiful

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Pixie
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:58 AM
Maybe Flavia has a little chance

Kim's_fan_4ever
Feb 1st, 2007, 12:54 PM
I can't see this happen :shrug:

Uranus
Feb 1st, 2007, 05:02 PM
Pennetta and Camerin are cute :) But the other ones...
How about the Spanish players?

DevilishAttitude
Feb 1st, 2007, 05:09 PM
I don't see Fran in the Top 10 now.

But, I don't see Pennetta ever reaching Top 10. Her game is certainly not better than Schiavone, and just cos she looks good, does NOT mean she will be a good player.

Yeah, she hits hard, but players hit harder, she's consisent, she's not THAT consisent though. And she has little else.

Also, she follows the traditional weak Italian weak mentality, and hasn't won a match since San Diego :help:

Has for Santangelo and Oprandi. Mara, is a mess mentally, and her game will never have the consisenty for a Top 10 place, and Oprandi can only play on clay and nothing else, you can't do anything really with that kinda record.

Tenis Srbija
Feb 1st, 2007, 05:12 PM
There was a thread about "Will Fran or Penn" get into top ten... Most of answers were NO...

I also don't see them there... Fran had hers chance, and blow it...
On the other side Flavia was never really close...

But who knows what tommorow brings :)

Tenis Srbija
Feb 1st, 2007, 05:14 PM
Mara Santangelo isn't too bad.

But she also isn't top 15 material.. not to speak about top 10 :rolleyes:

selesfan1
Feb 1st, 2007, 05:19 PM
Maria antonia Sanchez Lorenzo was hott.She was spanish but someone asked. Lubiani wasn't bad looking at all in person but she didn't photgrpah too well. Garbin was kind of cute when she was younger but as she's gotten older it seems she's become more plain.

*Jool*
Feb 1st, 2007, 05:41 PM
Garbin is a lovely lady
so are Farina Camerin and I guess Pennetta...

Top 10 ? Nope - Fran and Silvia were close but could not do it - And they are/were the best Italians players by far

Shonami Slam
Feb 1st, 2007, 06:22 PM
I don't think i need to mention how much i adore the Italian academies and the variety we get from Italian tennis players - be it on the single handed backhands, the spins, the net play ro multi-court abbilities.
They have proved themselves as an important part of keeping the game interesting, creating differced styles, grips and shots.
they will keep pushing great youngsters with enjoyable game-plans, and we'll keep seeing them play thier fabulous clay abbilities a tee-bit prior RG every year in one of the best tournies around - Rome.

Viktymise
Feb 1st, 2007, 06:25 PM
Pennetta after Wimbledon last year i really though was gonna break through and put some really good results together and get to the top 10 but then she hurt her wrist :o, im unsure whether she will have another chance to get there now considering how tough it is to get in these days :sad: i hope she gives it her best :)

GABRIEL
Feb 1st, 2007, 06:38 PM
Silvia & Fran were our best bet for top 10, before them Raffaella Reggi had the best ranking, at nr 13, Sandra Cecchini peaked at nr 15.
Unfortunately cannot see Fran in the top 10 anymore...she is still young and things can change, but she is too weak menthally...Flavia? no way...same goes for Romina and the rest of the band...many good players, but none is a top 10. But the group is growing, and I am confident very soon a new talent will come to become the first italian top 10!!!

Slumpsova
Feb 1st, 2007, 07:08 PM
there are a lot of Italians in top 200 :bounce:

Frode
Feb 1st, 2007, 10:14 PM
Oprandi went from #240 in 2005 to #46 at end of 2006. She's only 20 yrs old. Maybe she will be the next Italian hope.

Oprandi is talanted but has some fitness isues, I think. And Yes I think Pannetta is pretty.

souam
Feb 1st, 2007, 10:35 PM

I have big hopes in her. Italian players often have a nice tennis style just like the French and the Belgians. It would be better for tennis if they achieved a good ranking! :)

tobi
Feb 1st, 2007, 11:30 PM
Italian girls are too weak mentally to be top 10 I think :shrug:

But most of them consistently can stay in top 30 - top 50 through