PDA

View Full Version : If serena retired right now....

Mina Vagante
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:15 PM
would she be considered an all time great?

and what achevements to you need to get to be an all time great?

skanky~skanketta
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:16 PM
i think she would be considered an all time great. she's won all the slams in singles and a few in doubles and mixed. all i want her to do in win an Olympic gold in singles. she has one in doubles already, but a singles gold would really finish it off.

Serena IMO is probably the most special of all the greats we've had. nobody could come back like she did. i know, i know, others have done it, but only once. Serena has done it twice.

UncleZeke
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:29 PM
Of course she would be considered an all time great. She has played in 10 GS finals and has won 8.

the cat
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:35 PM
Yes Serena would be considered an all time great. :) Her greatest achievement is winning the Serena Slam and holding all 4 grand slam singles titles at the same time.

I think you need a career grand slam in women's tennis to be considered an all time great. But I do consider Monica Seles an all time great as she didn't win the career grand slam and many more grand slams becausae she was stabbed by a deranged tennis fan at age 19 in 1993. :mad: Monica was taking over women's tennis and had won an amazing 8 grand slams as a teenager before she was stabbed and her career was altered forever. :(

miffedmax
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:40 PM
I'm afraid right now I'd rank her as a near great in terms of accomplishments, though one of the most influential players ever. So much of what has happened in the game has been, in part, in reaction to her and Venus.

Her runs have been impressive, but in terms of overall slam titles she comes up just short, if I compare her to some of the players I consider to be all-time greats.

Longevity and consistency are the main things missing from her resume, IMHO. She just gets hurt too much, and it severely affects her performance. Comparing her to say, Martina Navratilova is like comparing Gale Sayers to Emmit Smith. On his best day, I think Sayers was probably the better running back. But his career was cut short by injuries, and his overall list of accomplishments will never compare to Smith's.

I think double digit Grand Slam wins are important to be admitted to the all-time list. Serena' also comes up short in the just the general titles list, but I would be willing to cut her some slack on that because I think she has actually prolonged her career by not submitting herself to the grind of the tour and playing too much.

So if she comes up short in my book, it is only just. I suspect, though, that if you check in with me in a year or two my answer will have changed. I expect Serena to end her career with about a dozen majors. For the record, I'd say the same about Seles, Davenport, Hingis and a host of Serena's rivals.

Helen Lawson
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:40 PM
Yes, she's won all four majors in both singles and doubles, including 4 in a row in singles.

winone23
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:41 PM
She's done it all already.

Tenis Srbija
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:41 PM
Even before this Australian Open she was ONE OF THE BEST :worship:

But winning AO now...that was just for :bowdown:

Jeff
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:59 PM
Arantxa Sanchez Vicario will be inducted into the hall of fame this summer. I think with eight grand slams and the only female in the open era to play her sister in a grand slam final, Serena has already earned the title position as an all time great....oh but wait...she has several more years to go so let's put this thought back into the bag.

mboyle
Jan 31st, 2007, 08:00 PM
Well...I would say yes, but then that depends on what you call an all time great. Is she HOF material? Duh. Shriver made it and Sabatini made it. Would she go into my HOF as a legitimate great? Yeah no question. Is she on the same level as Martina Nav, Chris, Margaret, BJK or Steffi? No. They all won at least 13 slams and changed the game (or created it.)

Jeff
Jan 31st, 2007, 08:02 PM
They all won at least 13 slams and changed the game (or created it.)

So are you saying Serena hasn't changed the game? I disagree.

RenaSlam.
Jan 31st, 2007, 08:02 PM
Well...I would say yes, but then that depends on what you call an all time great. Is she HOF material? Duh. Shriver made it and Sabatini made it. Would she go into my HOF as a legitimate great? Yeah no question. Is she on the same level as Martina Nav, Chris, Margaret, BJK or Steffi? No. They all won at least 13 slams and changed the game (or created it.)

The Williams Sisters have upped the bar with power and athleticism.

Mina Vagante
Jan 31st, 2007, 08:03 PM
serena changed the game with power, before her it was all hingis, now look at the top 20 the majority of them are big hitters

Volcana
Jan 31st, 2007, 08:06 PM
How long is your list of 'all-time' greats?

If your list is Court, Graf, Willis Moody, Evert, Navratilova, King, then no, Serena doesn't belong in that group. But if you're gonna add any other player, Serena's current career accomplishments measure up.

So if you're saying Connolly, or Seles, or Goolagong or Bueno was an all-time great, Serena is too. Serena has had, without question, one of the ten best careers in the history of the sport. But she's not up there with 'The Big Six'. Yet.

hingisGOAT
Jan 31st, 2007, 08:10 PM
serena changed the game with power, before her it was all hingis, now look at the top 20 the majority of them are big hitters

:weirdo:

i guess people don't realize that graf, davenport, novatna, pierce, and seles were at least as powerful as henin, sharapova, amelie, clijsters, kuznetsova... :secret:

Vlad Tepes
Jan 31st, 2007, 08:55 PM
Quite right, Serena is nowhere near Graf or Navratilova, who are in a different league, but she is one of the great tennis players of all-time, not only in term of results, but also due to the impact she had on the game.

trufanjay
Jan 31st, 2007, 09:02 PM
Yeah, I agree. She would be an all time great for sure.

franny
Jan 31st, 2007, 09:20 PM
By winning ALL four slams, and in a row, she was already an all time great.